Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

CloseFriend posted:

Chipotle BBQ sauce, two kinds of cheddar (regular & smoked), half a white onion, a boneless, skinless chicken breast half, and paprika, chipotle powder and chili powder for aromatics, and a little chipotle Tabasco on top!

Do you want your dinner to be seized as a weapon of mass destruction?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Jmcrofts posted:

Use less sauce, and give the pizza more time to cool.

Using less sauce doesn't really help, I'm afraid. I've had this problem before, and due to a tomato allergy in the family we don't have sauce on our pizzas. I think it's down to the quality of the cheese - maybe something in the fat levels causes it to stick to the base sub-optimally.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Philly.com had an article this week about home made ricotta being a big thing right now, and it looked easy enough. It was easy enough, but a big mess because I underestimated the amount it made.

Interesting thought. Though I'm not a pesto fan, I usually have pizzas without sauce because of a tomato allergy in the family and the absence of sauce changes the taste of other toppings. Have you tried feta instead of ricotta? It's sharper and it goes well with meats.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Nostrum posted:

First of all, if you live in an apartment (and you rent)- it's not your oven, it's not your building. Don't mess with it! Having said that, ...

The risk of fire is basically zero. If your oven has a self-clean cycle, it was designed to withstand those types of heat. I've "forgotten" (i.e. imbibed considerable quantities of booze) about pizzas in there and they smolder and smoke WAY before they catch on fire. You do have a fire extinguisher in your kitchen, anyways, RIGHT?

Also, I would advice you to not drink during pizza cookery. But as James May put it once, "I don't really know what I'm talking about, to be honest, usually by the time I get this far, I'm so drunk, I can't remember what I've done."

Funny you should mention memory loss, because I found this.

Someone on a baking forum posted:

Over the last year, I have been experiencing severe memory loss. As I have been searching for answers for why this is happening or what could have cause this digression to occur, I am looking at some of the more toxic products I have been using in my daily life. One product that I have always wondered about is, my trusty Fibrament cooking stone. The smell it gave off on it's initial warming gave me a headache so bad I threw up. I am having a chemist friend of mine that works at the nearby university take a look at my stone. I am seriously concerned about this product. The company gives no indication or explanation of how the toxic smell is formed. It leaves room to wonder what is in this product. I find it hard to believe the composition of this product is so sacred that even the smell cannot be explained without the divulging the secret recipe of this stone's makeup. Any input would be much appreciated.

It's true! It's true!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm looking to get my mother a pizza stone for her birthday. Any recommendations? The site with the Fibrament stones linked to earlier doesn't seem to be working any more.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Deathwing posted:

Their site seems alright as far as I can tell? - http://www.bakingstone.com/

Bought one about 4 years ago, it's still holding up fine despite spilling cheese and sauce on it several times like an idiot.

I cannot connect to that site.

The baking steel is interesting, but I wouldn't want to risk it. Also, the postage to the UK is more than the bloody steel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

That's no pizza. It's a space station.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

How is it that we've been using fire for 40,000 years and some people still haven't figured out how to tell when the meat is cooked? :shrug:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

rj54x posted:

Are you suggesting that the meat on the steak pizza is somehow not cooked?

I'm not suggesting that a steak needs to be a lump of charcoal before it's done, but at least one piece on that pizza looks like it's still bleeding.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Based on my past experience with putting extra pepperoni on frozen pizzas, the stuff leaks too much grease on the pizza unless I microwaved it a bit on a paper towel or something, so that's the only reason I did that.

Yeah, I only used pecorino romano, and it didn't really melt properly as can be seen on the photos. I liked the texture and taste even so, but thanks for the suggestions. It seems that Tesco (where I was shopping then) doesn't have any of these cheeses, but I'm sure some specialty cheese shop does.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/browse/default.aspx?N=4294698074

Anywhere but the teeniest Tesco Express will stock it. Don't look in the deli, it's in the aisle with the packaged cheese.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I'm clearly missing something here.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

My God, someone who realises pizzas don't have to be slathered in tomato. Or to contain tomato at all.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

To join sauce chat, I use canned crushed tomatoes. Dump them into a mesh strainer and stir until a good amount of liquid had drained off and the thickness is where I want it. Then I add seasonings (oregano, crushed red pepper, S&P, basil) and microwave it for a couple minutes just to infuse the flavors throughout the sauce. I also sauce my pizzas very lightly. That seems to be where most people go wrong, they put way too much sauce on.

You'd be amazed how good pizza is without any sauce. My mother is allergic to tomatoes so that's how I got used to it. Cut through the illusion, admit you're eating fancy cheese on toast and learn to love the sauceless pizza.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

His Divine Shadow posted:

OK I got my frying plate / pizza steel done now. My stick welding needs work but good enough I guess. I wasn't gonna bother actually (lazyness) but when I put it down I found I needed the "legs" anyway to act as risers or it would not fit on the grill. So eh. Also found out I need to drill some holes so I can lower and remove it with handles.

Now to season it.

Why are you making pizza on Boadicea's chariot wheel? That's a historical artefact, you swine!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Doom Rooster posted:

Adoption is always an option.

I read that as "abortion" and didn't think any worse of you.

A Neapolitan style pizza joint opened near me recently. I'm not about to try 'nduja because I'm not into spicy, but I have tried their pizza with gorgonzola, walnuts, Parma ham, mozzarella and fig jam and it's great.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

We had a goon here who was attempting to do super thin crispy crust at home and never came back to report :(

Either he got it right and is now too fat to reach his keyboard, or he got it wrong and died of shame.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I had an interesting pizza. Halloumi and goats cheese with sucuk, a kind of spicy sausage. Definitely the best pizza made by Turks in Germany that I've had, would eat again.

I'm mostly bringing this up to recommend sucuk as a topping, if you can find it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Cointelprofessional posted:

Rain on a wedding day in the desert. Some odds.

They get a lot shorter when you arrange outdoor catering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

PokeJoe posted:

According to this handy chart an aluminum stone would work better than the steel or copper by a decent amount. Iron only has marginally more heat capacity than copper but aluminum has nearly twice as much as iron. This is by mass of metal though so an aluminum stone would need to be nearly 3x as thick as an iron one to get the same mass. If you could somehow make a moisture free pizza you could get a hell of a crust with a lithium stone I guess but definitely take a picture if you can make a pizza stone sized piece of lithium without burning yourself.

I asked a chemist I know about this. His response was "sounds reasonable as long as you keep it away from any and all oxygen atoms". Raising lithium to 550 degrees Fahrenheit would probably begin a transient state reaction, by which we mean if you started it in Florida you'd finish it in Iowa.