Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I’ve been really digging Mastering Pizza by Marc Vetri. It’s very Italian (so you get formulations for Naples-style and al taglio pizzas but not NY style.) He’s very clear about the dough formulations you want for different styles and different ovens. I’ve used Forkish and Lahey, but I’ve had the most success following Vetri.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Made pizza! This is Vetri's Roman-style dough (67% hydration) as pizza Lombarda (fennel sausage, egg):

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Heners_UK posted:

This this is the very first result. It's the 70% Naples Dough from this book. Cooked to specifications except I had the oven on convect for most of it, just a few blasts under the broiler/grill, when the book appears to call for all broiler for the cook time. I think this is why the base is more cracker like and thicker than "perfect". Keep in mind this is a small complaint because it's a great result, which I credit to the recipe.

I also launched it off the peel with flour for a change. May have to go back to parchment, because as you can see, it stuck to the peel.

How long did it cook? I find it takes a good while to bring the oven up to heat, and as you saw, you want to cook it under the broiler. Ideally you can get it done in 2-3 minutes, which will keep a pretty moist dough. I've also found that his Roman dough is a lot more forgiving: my recommendation is to start with that as you work on your technique. I still have a long way to go (but it's a fun process!)

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

I made pizza yesterday and apparently I still can’t shape the dough for poo poo. I had to flatten it all out with a rolling pin again because I couldn’t get it to stretch big enough when I tried to do it by hand.

Here’s a pic of one of my attempts to shape the dough by hand.

This is a little under 12 inches at the widest point. I couldn’t get it to stretch any bigger than that without it tearing.

Agreed that a wetter dough is helpful. Do you let it warm up to room temperature before stretching? That can take a while, up to a couple of hours. Try stretching it in a couple of steps, letting the dough rest in between. That makes a big difference for a stiff dough.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I tried something different; sfincione! Not exactly pizza, but certainly pizza-adjacent, it's Sicilian, and features a focaccia-like crust, tomatoes, anchovies, bread crumbs and a ton of onions. Hit the spot.

Graphic closeup image:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Man, that Varasano website is an interesting read. I'm going to try some of his techniques next time I make pizza. I'm not going to commit to juking my oven to get to 900 degrees, though, so that dough ratio will have to change to work with my regular ol' broiler + steel technique.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

I. M. Gei posted:

Has anyone tried any of Marc Vetri’s Naples dough recipes from Mastering Pizza that use King Arthur bread flour?

Yes, they worked great for me (specifically the home oven version). I think that in general, unless you’re operating at a pretty high level already, KA will work great, and that the difference between it and, say, Caputo, will be marginal.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

Anyone here used the breville pizzaiolo before? They're normally $1250AUD down here but on sale at the moment for $999AUD. Been keeping an eye on em since they finally got around to releasing em in australia but debating whether to pull the trigger on one. My current oven is one of these bad boys, which is not bad but wondering if an upgrade would be worth it

I have one and I love it. The downsides are that it’s expensive and that it doesn’t get as hot as a gas or wood oven. That’s a problem if you want to make a proper Neapolitan pie. The upside is that it heats up quickly and I can use it indoors in any weather. If I had to rely on an outdoor oven I wouldn’t make pizza in cold or wet weather, which is when I want it most! And it makes excellent NY style and modified Neapolitan pies. I’ve been working on Trenton-style thin crust tomato pie lately, and it works great for that.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Huh, that's the second time I've heard about rice flour in pinsa. The other was some YouTube video from some Italian pinsa place going on about how it was the original Roman bread, they were recreating that, and then talked about all these gluten-free alternative flours they were using to make it. Soy flour didn't really add up to me as a Roman recreation, so I didn't know what to think of that. It looked like a high-hydration dough, not a ... low-gluten cake?

Edit: Something I also saw a lot of looked like they were stretch it out and resting it over a giant mound of semolina.

yeah, there's a lot of unsourced talk about how pinsa is some sort of ancient Roman tradition, but as far as I can tell that's bogus. What it is, is a 21st century variation on pizza al taglio (invented in 2001 by Corrado di Marco) made with rice and soy flour. And it's great! I've never been super successful making it at home (used Katie Parla's recipe for the dough) but now I want to try it again.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

You want a wooden (not aluminum) peel for launching your pie into the oven. I'm not sure brand matters all that much; I have a bamboo peel that works great. It definitely takes practice-- I used parchment as training wheels for a good while-- but it's worth it.

Anyway, here are three pies from Sunday pizza night. Margherita, mushroom, thyme and homemade sausage, and sausage/olive/ricotta salata:

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

Have you tried putting uncooked sausage on the pizza and letting it cook there? Best way to do it IMO.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

It’s true that most commercial pepperoni isn’t very good. But there is high quality artisanal pepperoni. Heck, I make salumi as a hobby and I’ve made pepperoni that was pretty great.

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

That’s low moisture mozzarella in the photo. It doesn’t have the juice. It’s similar to the shredded stuff except better because it’s whole milk, and doesn’t have cornstarch or whatever it is the shredded stuff uses to prevent clumping. You can usually get it at a deli, sliced to order or in a chunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

NPR Journalizard posted:

Only just found this thread.

I have a breville pizzaiolo, which is an electric benchtop version, and I'm still working on perfecting the process, but its been good so far.

That was the first thing that popped out of the oven.

Going to try for longer ferments on my next batch of dough, and im loving the thought of using paper to help with the launch.

Hello fellow Pizzaiolo goon! I have one too and it’s great. You’ll find it has one downside, which is that it doesn’t get as hot as an outdoor oven, which makes it tough (though not impossible) to make a real Neapolitan style pie. But that’s outweighed by the ease of use and the fact that I don’t have to leave my kitchen when it’s cold and rainy!

I recommend swapping out the metal peel that came with the oven for a wooden one; you’ll find wood will launch the pizza better and with a little practice you won’t need to use parchment. I use the metal peel for retrieving the pizza when it is cooked.