Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Wow, looking at your guy's Pizzas I think I need to step up my Pizza game.
Seriously I was in (northern) Italy last week and I only found one Pizzeria which sold proper Neapolitanian style Pizza and could compete with the looks of your Pizzas. I'm impressed!

Here is a Margherita I made a few weeks ago.

San Marzano Tomatoes
Mozzarella di Bufala
Basil
Garlic
EVO

This is two days ago.

San Marzano Tomatoes
Fior di Latte (cheap one unfortunately)
Milanese Beef Salame
Pickeled Artichokes
Basil
Garlic
EVO

My dough recipe is:
100% flour (Caputo Tipo 00, 125g per Pizza currently)
64% Water (I used to do 70% but switched to 64% lately since 70% dough is a pain in the rear end to handle)
3% Salt
0.4-0.8% Fresh Yeast
24h - 48h refrigerated

I own a Pizza steel and let it preheat to 250°C for 45 minutes. I bake the Pizza 5-6 minutes and then 1-1.5 minutes using the broiler function.

Any tips or recommendations? I know my Pizza could use a bit more browning, I guess I need to give a bit more time with the broiler function...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Stefan Prodan posted:

In a home oven you might have to just put a little sugar in to help it brown even though it's not as ~pure~

Not a bad idea, I will try it if the broiler functions burns the pizza too much!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

slave to my cravings posted:

This is pretty close to what I do for a pizza steel in an oven. Sometimes I go for 2-3 minutes with the broiler, depends on how wet my cheese/sauce/toppings are. Bit of a guessing game you just kinda have to keep an eye on it and not overdo it so the crust turns black. A tip I learned from FWSY is you can use the broiler for 5-10 minutes before putting the pizza on to super heat the steel to 650F degrees or higher (as checked with laser thermometer). I think it helps? Sometimes it can make my smoke alarm go off is there is some residual oil or flour left on from previous bakes I forgot to scrape off the steel.

The pizzas look pretty darn tasty. I might make some dough tonight now using your recipe.

Here is one of mine I did recently. I love pepperoni and banana peppers on pizza.

Thanks for the tip about using the broiler for heating up. I do that from time to time but was never sure if it made a difference. I will try to do that more often now!

Your Pizza looks delicious too, what cheese are you using?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Casu Marzu posted:

Oh hey I forgot all about this thread. Tried doing a sourdough neapolitan style for the first time, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Your Pizzas look great!
How would you describe the taste compared to a traditional Neapolitanian Pizza?

I just recently started getting into sourdough baking. Could you give the recipe you used?
I only have a rye sourdough right now but plan to start a wheat one too as soon as I have a bit more experience.

I also made Pizza yesterday but was so greedy I ate it before taking pictures :shrug:
I think I took it out if the fridge too early though as it was a bit flat in the end.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Casu Marzu posted:

This is the recipe I used. I like almost all of his recipes, in fact. I'm not sure there's a whole lot of difference in flavor. My starter (and these recipes) are not using super ripe sour starter. It is a fantastic crust though, and is really easy to work with and shape.

Thanks!
I will make sure to take a look at the other recipes on the website.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

ogopogo posted:

Sorry for the goofy iPhone pics but it's all I had on me. Yesterday was really good, a sourdough sellout day!

Pepperoni

The Nancy Silverton - San Marzano tomatoes, oregano, fresh garlic, fresh burrata, malden sea salt, cracked pepper, basil, olive oil

:eyepop:

Beautiful...

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Salami Pizza with cow milk mozzarella, Pecorino and EVO.

It turned out a bit small and unfortunately the Salami lost a lot of fat and sogged the whole Pizza...also I forgot to buy Basil.

Tasted great anyway!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Feels weird to be posting after myself but here's another:

Chicken madras, onions + mozz. Mint + cucumber raita added after cooking. Ingredients-wise this was very good, if I'd had some coriander leaves to garnish I think they'd have worked well.

Base came out good on this one but I'm having a hard time getting the mozz to fully melt at the same time as the crust is cooked. You can see on my previous post that I ran a lower temp to get the mozz to the right consistency through longer cook times, but the crust didn't leopard up as well and is more evenly brown. I ran the top element at 470C and the bottom at about 350 for this one.

e: I'm using brined mozz rather than the firmer stuff that comes in blocks, not out of any preference, I just have a hard time finding the firmer stuff. I'm also making sure it's at room temp before putting it on the pie.

All your Pizzas look so awesome and I'm really contemplating buying an oven like yours. I too enjoy the original Pizza Napoletana style the most but all I have is a standard Ikea 250°C oven and a pizza steel. Which works but it will never achieve the greatness that you post I fear.
The price tag puts me off a bit though. Seems like 700-800€ is the sweet spot for these kind of ovens.

I guess you're a bit biased just having bought this oven but how would you say it compares to the Ooni Koda 16 or similar gas powered ovens? They seem a bit cheaper overall. Did you not consider these at all because you wanted an electric oven?
And would you say your purchase was absolutely worth it or would you do something different?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Are you using the stock stone or do you use a separate one? The store I found sells a biscotto stone for 60€ extra, do you think it's necessary?
Are you actually using the 500°C temperature? There is the 450°C model which costs 100€ less and I'm not sure if the extra 50°C are really worth it. I watched a review video on Youtube and it seemed it's already very easy to burn the Pizza using just 450°C.
Also is this thing mobile? Like can I pick it up and carry it to my rooftop terrace realistically?
Another question. In your experience, when making Pizza and Calzone back-to-back, will the temperature settings of the Pizza also work for the Calzone or will it need lower temperature and some time to cool down? If you have tested this at all.

Sorry for all of these questions. I'm on the verge of buying this thing but I want to know what I can expect.
800€ won't break the bank for me but when making purchases like this I really want to make the most informed decision possible.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Incredibly useful information

Thanks man, I appreciate it.
You're right, I will check out a few more other videos and sleep a few days over it. Your info helped me a lot though!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I...I did it.
I'm so happy right now I can't wait for this thing to arrive!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Checking in on this because I'm excited to see if you're having as much fun with it as I am. Has it arrived yet? :pray:

It hasn't and it's frustrating me, thanks for bringing it up :argh:

Jokes aside, I contacted the shop I bought it from a few weeks ago on the status and if they have any update on when I can expect the delivery and they told me it's still in the normal time frame and they can't tell me anything new.
On Monday I contacted them again because clearly it is not the "normal time frame" anymore and I'd like to at least know what's causing the delay but they haven't replied since. I'll give them a call today to see what's up.

Since I have ordered the Effeuno making Pizza with my normal setup feels so pointless, so I didn't make any Pizza at all in the last month. Can you imagine?
And sunken cost fallacy is starting to kick in. I'm craving a good Pizza but it feels wrong to start NOW as the Effeuno might arrive any day!

Had someone told one-year-ago-me that today-me is craving Neapolitanian Pizza and is going mad over waiting for a Pizza oven...I would have been confused but happy for the future!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Brutal :(

looking at the confraternita thread on effeuno it looks like effeuno themselves are experiencing delays:

https://laconfraternitadellapizza.forumfree.it/?t=75130319&st=6135#lastpost

The last post in there said it took about 8 weeks from purchase. Still worth the wait in my opinion but frustrating as hell

Oh no. Thanks for the link.
I guess this means it won't come before May. 20 days my rear end...

Welp, at least this means there is not point in not making Pizza with my normal oven for now so I know what I'll do this weekend.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

- testing out a few batches of higher hydration dough to see what it's like to work with

What hydration are you using with the Effeuno and what have you been using before? I've been making 64% hydration Pizzas usually and I get quite good results on a Pizza steel.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Malefitz posted:

I...I did it.
I'm so happy right now I can't wait for this thing to arrive!

A seemingly endless wait later and I can finally get my hands on this bad boy. My Effeuno is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow! Rejoice!

StarkingBarfish posted:

(...) normally just before I launch a pie I'll turn the thermostat to 500 for the duration of the cook to make sure the element stays on, then drop it back to 470 while prepping the next pie.

Are you still baking your Pizzas with this temperature? Turn both elements to 470°C during heat up and then for cooking crank them up to 500°C?
Or have you refined your approach since you first wrote this?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

gently caress, I love my new toy! It's brilliant!

I made a few Pizzas today, small and medium sized ones, to get some practice with the Effeuno.
Even though my dough wasn't great (not enough time) the results were awesome!

Tomato, cow milk Mozzarella, garlic, basil, EVO

This is the one my girlfriend made, she doesn't like the fluffy crust so she stretched the dough out more and flattened it. She still got a good rise in her crust, usually her Pizzas just look like flat discs.

Tomato, champignon and onion pre-fried with soy sauce, garlic, EVO and basil added after cooking.

It's mesmerizing watching the Pizza cook in the oven in under 2 minutes. I've seen it in videos before but it's something totally different when experiencing it yourself.
I played around a bit with the temperature settings and settled for 470°C top heat and ~440°C bottom heat, cranking the top heat up to 500°C while the Pizza is in the oven.

If someone wants to see a video of the cooking process (not sure if the imgur link works)

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Hell yes that's the good stuff. Love that last ingredient combination too.
How are your bases looking at 440 on the bottom? I found it a little too much if the top was at 470 and had preheated, but I'm only usually doing one pie so the first one is getting the full heat the top element is putting into the stone without having dumped any.

The first one I did, a small one, was set to 450°C bottom and properly pre-heated. I realized after 1:30 minutes that my wooden peel wasn't suited to get the pizza out by itself and needed to grab another tool first which took like 30 seconds and the bottom was burnt quite a bit.

For the others I set the bottom temperature slightly lower, to about 440°C. But I also didn't preheat properly anymore as my day was a bit chaotic between preparing Pizzas, preheating the oven, managing when we want to make what and actually working a day full of meetings. I don't own a thermometer capable to measure these high temperatures yet so I can't say for sure that the biscotto was at 440°C when I did the other Pizzas. All the Pizzas after the first one seemed perfect on the bottom, good color but definitely not burnt. Failed to take pictures of the bottoms unfortunately.

I definitely need to do more testing but for a first batch I'm very satisfied with the results.
The 320°C you set for the bottom element seemed a bit low to me so I wonder if there is anything different in our setups?
You do have a biscotto in your Effeuno, right? I think I remember you said you had one but I'm not sure anymore.

MrYenko posted:

Re: Romancing the [Pizza] Stone (In the Laundry Room)

:five:

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Made some more Pizza last week in my Effeuno.

I love that I can do Mozzarella di Bufala again without the Pizza just soaking through.

I think the next thing I need to work on is my dough recipe. I think I will try higher hydration doughs again, I had been doing 64% water for a while now and went up to 67% for the last batch. I guess I'll do 70% for the next one.

StarkingBarfish posted:

How are your bases looking at 440 on the bottom?

Still sporting 440°C on the bottom and took a picture of the result this time.
I'd say my Pizza bottoms are looking awesome :agesilaus:

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

I agree, those look great!

I've a poolish on the go for tomorrow. Will give 440 a try. Is that the temp on the dial or are you using a thermometer?

It's just the dial, I don't have a thermometer that goes this high unfortunately.
You're using poolish for your dough? Would you mind sharing your recipe?
I've only been doing direct doughs with cold fermentation but maybe making a poolish could transfer my Pizza flavors into a new level

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

The leopard spots taste awesome!

I think they can only be achieved with very high heat. Not sure what exactly happens chemically to form this pattern but it's something you definitely try to achieve with neapolitan Pizza and since I use the Effeuno it just happens naturally for me.

I made Pizza with spinach and gorgonzola yesterday, forgot to take a picture unfortunately. Looked and tasted awesome though.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

This looks so awesome. Well done!
I need to make some Pizza dough...

I'm still not perfectly satisfied with my results. My crust has a nice rise but inside it's more compact than I'd like and I'm still fiddling around with the time when I need to reball and when I take the dough out of the fridge.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I have tried numerous combinations of bulk-fermentation, proofing, balling and re-balling.
What I ended up doing lately was roughly like this:
Short 15 minute autolysis phases during machine kneading of the dough until smooth (I get a nice window pane) -> 1-2h on the counter bulk fermentation -> cutting/balling and 24-48h fridge fermentation -> re-balling in the morning on bake-day -> taking the balls out ~2h before baking
My recipe is 64% water, 3% salt and 0.2% fresh yeast. Pizzapp seems to suggest 0.35% yeast, maybe I use too little?

My understanding is that the ideal way to do it is not re-balling the dough at all once it went into the fridge.
The problem I saw with this is that I get a very flat Pizzas, as if the dough was overproofed. This is why I re-ball to give it more elasticity.

StarkingBarfish posted:

In other news, this has really helped my launch:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0881QHK5Y

I wanted to buy a separate turning peel and bought one which looks very similar, probably the same chinese manufacturer:
https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B08P7829WL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s01?currency=EUR&ie=UTF8&language=en_GB&psc=1
I think it's a bit too expensive but overall the quality is good. It's also a bit long but by leaving out the middle segment I get it down to 81cm/32in which is okay for home use.

For launching I still use my old wooden peel which is quite charred already from the high temperatures. I was looking for a metal one so I will take a look at yours.
Lidl sold one a few weeks ago for 10€ but I was too slow...

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

I later found it was just old yeast.

I use fresh yeast for my Pizzas but I do use organic yeast which according to one source loses strength before the best before date. I will try switching back to non-organic fresh yeast and see if it fixes things.

StarkingBarfish posted:

I generally measure by eye as I don't have a scale accurate to less than a gram or two.

Btw I bought this guy here like half a year ago:
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/Digital-digital-display-tablets-jewellery/dp/B07J9VXYSD/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Reteck&qid=1622638238&sr=8-5
and it's great value for the price. I don't only use it for yeast but also for some spices and I wouldn't want to miss it again.

This is actually a great writeup, thanks a lot for that!
What kind of sourdough starter do you use, normal American wheat sourdough? I do have an Italian Lievito Madre which is wheat based and very dry (70:30 flour to water ratio). I made it for bread baking but I don't use it very often as I'm culturally a rye sourdough enjoyer.
I wanted to try making Pizza with it anyway so I might just give it a shot. What's your sourdough flour ratio?

I wonder if the 4 hour bulk proof is still necessary when using industrial yeast as compared to sourdough. In my experience sourdoughs need more time to "get going" and also stricter sticking to the temperature.
But anyway if I get this correctly you are proofing for 48h+ hours and leave the dough out 3-6h before baking and you never reshape it during that time?
Also "Once they're ready, our doughs last about 3 days before gassing out" does this include the 48h proofing or do you consider the dough "ready" once the 48h proofing has passed?

Oh, and what temperature is in your walk-in? My fridge sits at 6°C/43°F which is probably warmer than the typical American fridge. Was also thinking if this is too warm for the dough...

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

ogopogo posted:

Our sourdough is a family sourdough that originated in the Yukon Territories during the Klondike Gold Rush during the late 1800s, passed down from my grandpa's side for 4 generations. We estimate it to be about 120-125 years old at this point, still going strong!

Wow what a cool story, makes me wonder if future generations will also tell the story how they use a sourdough that was made by some great-granddad (me) during the Great Covid Pizza and Bread Rush.

I saw that Pizzapp does have a setting for dry Lievito Madre so I can just use that for calculating how much of my sourdough would be needed. Also I will try resisting the urge to re-ball and just leave it be the way you have described.

Will report back with results once I had a chance to try this!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I took some inspiration from here and also tried a quicker 24h fermentation dough for a change. I tried to incorporate the tips I got from you guys and also used the Pizzapp to calculate the yeast amount based on the fermentation time.

The results were good, I got a nice rise.
Made a basic Margherita.

An immediate visible difference to my usual results is the lack of leopard spots even though the Pizza was in the oven the exact same amount of time (90 seconds). This matches what ogopogo mentioned about leopard spots forming with longer ferments.

The crust (cornicione) looks good, too.

There is s huge difference in taste compared to my usual 48h ferments. The dough lacks complexity due to the short fermentation time and missing leopard spots. It's Pizza so it's still good but it needs strong toppings in my opinion. Margherita doesn't cut it in this case.

I do have more dough in the fridge mixed for a longer fermentation, I will test if I still get good results without re-balling and long fermentation time in the coming days.

In other news, I also use fresh yeast exclusively and also my Lievito Madre died unfortunately...

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I also combine on lowest setting in the mixer with a normal (j-like) hook and the first thing I do is letting it rest for 10-20 minutes to autolyse.
The improvement in gluten is incredible after this first autolyse time already.

I then mix for maybe 5 minutes on the second lowest setting.
If the dough wanders up too much (depends on hydration and dough mass) I turn it off once or twice and recombine it with a rounded dough scraper in the bowl.
After the 5 minutes I let it rest/autolyse again for 10-20 minutes.

At this point the dough usually feels perfect already, I might give it another go in the mixer or hand knead it a bit or even stretch an fold if it feels necessary but it doesn't get much better at this point.

I tried mixing for longer and also some of the suggestions from here, like setting on a very high setting (4) to "batter" the dough. I almost overkneaded it with this. The dough became very sweaty and sticky and started to lose it's elasticity.
I saved it by letting it rest and then giving it surface tension by pulling it over the kneading mat with the dough scraper before bulk fermentation.

Of course it is possible that there is something I could improve but dough strength never was an issue for me to be honest. I have perfect window panes with my technique and as I'm using comparatively little dough but still want a large Pizza I stretch it very thin and it never even once teared.
I'm also using high protein 00 flour (all German flour has very little protein content) and an Italian Pizza oven for Neapolitan style Pizzas with long fermentation times.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Now look at that idiot. "Never an issue".
I knew I shouldn't have jinxed it.

:nws:

:nws:

I tried the new peel StarkingBarfish recommended and I used way too little flour. The dough stuck to the peel.
Good thing is, it's still Pizza so it tasted awesome.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I have tried semolina once but I didn't like the crispiness it created in the dough. Normally I don't mind the flour, I know how to handle the dough so not too much dry flour sticks to it to influence the taste. This time I decided to make Pizza on a work day in between meetings while my SO is flown out on business travel...so it was hectic and I didn't take enough care to do everything right.

With my usual wooden peel I take a small amount of flour and rub it over the...blade? The dough ball is also dredged in flour before stretched. I usually garnish the Pizza directly on the peel and just give it a shake once in a while so nothing sticks.

But this time I used the new metal peel with holes and I just...didn't put flour on it at all. So it sticked and the result you can see in the picture.

No matter I have been experimenting with making the best Pizza possible for over a year now, setbacks don't mean all that much to me as long as the pie tastes good. And it did!

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Yeah using a rolling pin will get you a flatter crust/cornicione than hand stretching but it still will rise. I think this "never use a rolling pin" comes more from tradition as the stretching is an integral part of Pizza making tradition.

If you don't care for huge rubber raft like Neapolitan style corncicione then just use a rolling pin.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

I wonder if I'm over mixing?
Just as a note from me, I made 2 different doughs on Tuesday, 4 balls alltogether.
2 balls were mixed for short fermentation which I baked the next evening and 2 balls trying >48h fermentation for me because my SO was on business trip the weekend, one Friday and one Saturday.
I tried various different things this time, not re-balling and all that stuff we had last week in the thread. For one batch I tried your technique of putting the mixer on 4 and "beating" the dough around.

The one on Friday sticked to the new peel and ripped.
The one on Saturday didn't stick on the peel as I made sure to use more flour.
But it still ripped in the oven.

When stretching the dough was also a bit different than usual, just weaker which I initially thought would be due to not re-balling it combined with the long fermentation (Tuesday -> Saturday).
It might have been the dough that I used your technique on and it might have been overkneaded.

I'm really not sure if that is the case as I don't take notes of what I'm doing, thinking I remember everything and promptly forgetting it. Also I tried multiple new things at once.
But I'm quite sure in hindsight the dough that failed twice this weekend was the one I used the mixer-to-4 technique on.

I will go back to my technique of mixing less in the machine and having multiple short autolysis phases as I never had problems when I did it like this. Maybe you should also try that and see if it makes a difference?

Mixing in the machine is really tricky. When I started out I also always thought the dough was under-kneaded. Because of this I managed to over-knead it in the past by just letting it mix longer.
It also does depend a lot on the amount of dough one is mixing, I guess when I mix small batches for 2 Pizzas it is easy to overmix accidentally.

StarkingBarfish posted:

It does remind me I need to start experimenting with calzones though.

I also want to make Calzone but I'm really not sure if it will work in an Effeuno when set to normal Pizza making temps. I fear the top is burned faster than usual as it sticks up to the heating element so much and the inside is still cold...

PS: btw the Pizza in the picture is spinach, gorgonzola and (some) mozzarella di bufala. Awesome combination, shame it ripped.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

StarkingBarfish posted:

Thanks for the tips- out of interest, do you have any pointers for how dough looks/feels when it is reaching the stage at which it is properly mixed? Just so I know what I'm aiming for. I've found for batches that didn't work so well it felt sticky, dense, and looked shiny, whereas correctly kneaded batches were light, springy, and had a silky, dry matte surface. The fact I can't get to this stage after what I describe probably means overmixing but it's hard to tell when the transition to done is and when to stop.

Stefan Prodan posted:

in my experience it can look pretty rough after the first mix and come out with a perfectly smooth and not overly sticky ball after resting in the fridge for awhile

Pretty much what Stefan Prodan wrote minus the fridge.
The signs you are looking for are the ones I also look for. Matte, smooth surface might be the best indicator of ready dough next to the window pane test.
Shiny dough is for me the number one indicator that I overdid it in the machine next to the dough suddenly sticking to the mixer bowl during mixing.
Springiness is also good but might be hard to judge some times...

Let me quickly write down how I usually do it step by step and how the dough usually looks like after each step:
When I start mixing I start on 1 until the dough is combined. I don't throw all the stuff in and then start the mixer, I pre-combine usually with a spatula by adding water -> dissolve salt -> add some flour -> add yeast -> add remaining flour gradually. You can also throw everything in but on my mixer it takes a while until it is fully combined as the hook doesn't grab the dough to do anything with it, it just stirs it at the start.
After the dough is combined it looks chunky/crumbly. Let it rest for 15 minutes (covered of course) and it already looks way smoother. It's magic.
Give it another few minutes of speed 2 and that should be it. Let it rest again afterwards and give it a hand knead before and after just so there are no parts which aren't well hydrated because they didn't get pulled in by the mixer.
I also some times stretch and fold it a bit but only after letting it rest, otherwise you might rip apart the gluten structure.

This is maybe one thing that clicked it for me, when the dough comes out of the mixer it doesn't look great! No window pane test possible for me ever.
But I let it rest for 15 minutes and there it is, perfect window pane after minimal amount of kneading. Letting the dough rest is maybe the most important aspect of kneading with a mixer.

I most certainly haven't perfected the process of mixer dough mixing but I try out different things a lot and I'm quite sure I get the best results if I mix less and let the dough rest more.
I do need some more trial and error for when is the best time to ball up, the balls sometimes don't look great at first try. Probably because I am not great at it and stress the dough too much.

I hope this helps, I'm curious about the differences you see.

ShaneB posted:

Here are my first batch of Neapolitan attempts with the Ooni 16. I love how fast these things cook!

Welcome to the club of 90 second Pizza makers (or however long the Ooni needs)!
I love the look of the second one, is that Pesto & Mozzarella?

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

At this point I'm convinced ogopogo fabricated a great ruse about a restaurant and some centuries old sourdough starter passed down from his forefathers and in reality he is just copy pasting images from the top Italian Pizza Porn magazine.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

My results from today and another hint that less kneading is better.

I decided to keep track of the timing a bit better this time so I can share what exactly I am doing when preparing the dough.

I decided to do 2h bulk fermentation (kitchen room temperature was 25.5°C) and 48h cold fermentation (4°C).
I used cold tap water, probably ~20°C this time of the year.
Currently I do 62% hydration, 3% salt, 210g dough balls. I use fresh yeast, amount calculated by PizzApp.

I pre-combined the ingredients with a spatula and then put everything in the mixer until it was fully combined on lowest speed, for roughly a minute.
Covered the dough and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Put the dough in the mixer again on second speed, ~2 minutes mixing. Took it out, gave it a quick knead and let it rest for 15 minutes.
Now, at ~30 minutes I hand kneaded the dough very briefly and stretched and folded it, then let it rest for 30 minutes.
Stretched and folded once more to strengthen the gluten and then again after another 30 minutes with 30 more minutes of resting time to complete the 2h of bulk fermentation.

Last step was making balls and off they went into the fridge.

On baking day I put the dough out 1.5h before baking, kitchen temp was >27°C today. Stretching went great, way better than my two failed dough balls last week.

San Marzano tomato, Mozzarella di Bufala, mushrooms, garlic, basil.

The dough was nice and round until I tried to slide it onto the peel. Didn't manage to get its round shape back again. I'm learning.
Also the toppings could be arranged better but meh.

Cornicione turned out nice and airy, not sure what more to expect here.

Bottom had a good color, it looks burnt here but it wasn't, it had a nice char. Bad lighting in this image I suppose. I'll still reduce the bottom temp a notch just to be on the safe side...

I have one more dough ball in the fridge for tomorrow, I hope I'll get another good result like today.

Some observations:
It was already very hot on Thursday, the dough preparation day. I measured the dough temperature after combining and it was already ~25°C. I'm not sure if I would get even better results with ice cold water instead of tap water on hot days like this.
Also I'm not sure if the overall results will be the same on a cold day...probably not and I'm asking myself what exactly would be different and how to adjust.
Next time I would probably not stretch and fold the dough as often while bulk fermenting. I guess I'll skip the last s&f and let it rest for an hour instead.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Made second Pizza of the batch today.
Turned out great, too.

San Marzano tomato, Mozzarella di Bufala, Bluefou, basil, freshly ground black pepper.

I loving love Pizza.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

ogopogo posted:

Fresh ground pepper is one of my fav lowkey toppings for a pizza, it's so simple and good.

Our "Ode to Nancy, " our chef's nod to his time working with Nancy Silverton at Pizzeria Mozza in LA. Tomatoes, fresh sliced garlic, olive oil, squash blossoms, finished with a cold dollop of burrata, Maldon sea salt, fresh cracked pepper, and more olive oil. So fresh and good!

Not sure why I didn't think of adding pepper earlier. I really like the combination of cheese and pepper, it's almost magical.

That Pizza topping looks really interesting, wonder how it tastes. Not sure what exactly "squash blossoms" are to be honest :D

large hands posted:

Tried making a batch of kenjis NY style dough and found it to be way too puffy, if still delicious. I'll try the recipe on the ooni site next I think. This would have made great focaccia/garlic bread but was hard to work into good pizza I found

Looks good to me! Was it very elastic when stretching?
Happens to me usually if I don't remove the dough from the fridge early enough on cold days...

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Happiness Commando posted:

Flowers from a zucchini plant. A traditional preparation is to fill them with ricotta and fry them in a light batter. They can also go in salads or on pizza, apparently.

Oh this I know and it's awesome!
Only ever eaten it in Italy though, never seen it where I live...well I don't think Zucchinis naturally grow in my country anyway.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Pizza steel goons: How thick is your pizza steel, and do you notice it warp during use?

The one I used to use is 8mm thick and it never warped noticeably.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

I used to do 70% hydration dough when I started out. It was a bit of a pain in the rear end but it worked. People do 80% doughs, too.
The wetter the dough the less you want to use your hands on it and instead use scrapers and such.

I settled with 64% because I just can't stand having much of the dough sticking to my hand after handling it.
I do switch it up by a few percentage points from time to time though.

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

I have some 75% in the fridge, it's really sticky. This was a fairly well shaped ball a couple of hours ago.

I'll be honest, that doesn't look right to me and I'm not sure if it's just an effect of the high hydration. The surface is very rough on this dough ball. No surface tension visible.
How do you mix and ball your dough?

Maybe it is just due to the high hydration. It has been a while since I made dough like that and I didn't have my technique as refined then.

Going down in hydration and working back up is probably the best idea, the difference in dough handling is huge...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malefitz
Jun 19, 2018

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah I agree, not looking right. This was following the recipe I posted before, hand mixed and then bulk fermented 5 hours with a fold per hour.

Next time I'll drop the hydration and see how that works. Then... mixer?

If I read the recipe correctly it says mixing 10-13 minutes on a medium speed. That sounds too much to me.
We had this topic in the thread just a few weeks ago and I think most came to the conclusion that mixing less and having breaks in between mixing to allow for autolysis is better.

For a very wet dough machine mixing is quite difficult anyway so working with autolysis might make the process easier for you.

Just a quick write up of what I do so you don't need to go back and read everything that was posted:
I do a ~1 minute combination mix on low until the dough is combined.
Then a 15 minute covered rest.
Now a ~2 minute mix on second speed.
Afterwards 15 minutes covered rest again.
Then I hand knead very briefly, stretch it a bit as possible (don't rip it) and let it rest another 30 minutes.
Now again stretching and folding and let it rest another hour.
Now cut and ball it up with good surface tension and off into the fridge the dough goes.

Process-wise everything else what I do looks exactly like in the recipe you provided.

As I'm using 62% hydration right now I'm not sure this will work exactly the same on high hydration dough but I get very consistent results with this technique.
I always make sure to give the dough a good surface tension at any time, use a dough scraper to pull the dough into itself if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps, do report back with your results!
Also feel free to post a picture of your Pizza with your current dough even if it doesn't turn out perfect. Every Pizza is beautiful!