Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

some recent pies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

the other thing ive experienced with deep dish pizzas is letting it sit for 5 minutes after pulling it out, it lets the interior finish cooking from carryover heat.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

pan pizza!

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

thotsky posted:

I make a lot of pan pizza and that's one of the best I've seen. I've never really tried doing one with lots of sauce and cheese but no toppings.

thank you! its the end result of a lot of small tweaks. its a detroit/ny hybrid - i start with a standard detroit dough recipe but add a little sugar and olive oil, and the sauce is a cooked sauce - just some pastene crushed tomatoes with some olive oil, garlic powder, oregano and salt, and then i blitz it really fine - with the best low moisture whole milk mozzarella i can find. i do a one day, non-fermented dough. having a good detroit style pan helps a lot, but ive gotten pretty similar results with a good stainless steel skillet.

i've futzed around with doing ny style at home on a steel and while i can get pretty good results, pan pizzas are just so much easier, and the combination of crunchy bottom/airy dough/sweet sauce/browned cheese is kind of unbeatable.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

i bought a 12" ooni koda

what have i wrought

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

got my ooni. there is definitely a learning curve, although even a bad pizza is still pretty good! anyone have tips for managing the pizza placement/heat? i feel like i'm getting way too much heat on the crust close to the flame, even with the heat turned down. also turning the pizza is definitely a skill

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

this is the latest one

the cheese / crust was good, but overall the pizza wasn't thin enough, i left too much crust space, and i needed to let the stone heat up more to get a better underside cook

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

StarkingBarfish posted:

That looks pretty tasty!

It looks a bit like the center of the pizza has risen as well instead of forming a thin center and raised edges- that's a perfectly fine style of pie, but it sounds like it wasn't deliberate from what you were saying. You might want to check a few videos on how to press out and form the dough. The idea is to move the air pockets in the center of the dough out to the edges so the center doesn't rise and the edges do.

It looks a tiny bit overcooked, not just on the crust, but also the brown spots on the cheese. Again, that's up to how you like it, but based on what I was saying earlier I reckon you're not suffering from too big a pie in too small an oven, since the center is cooked well.

I think it's a case of getting better at turning the pizza and taking it out sooner. Another thing to consider is the hydration of your dough: in high heat ovens like this somewhere between 60-65% hydration is a good starting point, but again this is down to personal preference as to what style you want as much as anything else. All these things are correlated: hydration, temperature, time in the oven.

yea it definitely was edible and fairly delicious, but still needs a lot of work. im glad i had about a year of baking steel/oven pizzas for buying the ooni - i think the learning curve is definitely steeper than they advertise.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I don't know about Oonis and that stuff since I've been using home-built brick or clay ovens, but I figure maybe I can speak using that perspect. The sides took a beating and the top didn't. You also say the bottom didn't cook well. This would imply to me that the side of the pizza was "seeing" a raging-rear end superfire (or a small fire right next to it) but it wasn't spreading overhead to leopard the cheese (make those nice little spots) nor to charge the surface beforehand to crisp up the bottom.

I actually just looked up one of these. I guess if it's the propane kind then you're looking at a flame jet coming from the back. The floor looks like a refractory product. I don't know about the roof. I'm guessing maybe it had to run idle a bit longer to charge them up?

If you get to the point that the bottom is warming up but the cheese still isn't leoparding then you can just lift the pizza up with a peel and hold it against the roof for a few seconds.

yea the heat source is in the back. the floor clocks in at about 800f after preheating, havent checked the dome. i think it was me just having bad technique more than anything else. it also wasn't a fermented dough because iw as impatient.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

round two, i actually just went and bought 10 doughs from a local Neapolitan place and am just gonna practice with them over the next few days (and eat the pizzas) until i get better at making high hydration doughs

much better this time

turned the heat down further so its a much more even cook with a bit of char - still needs slightly more on the underside, but i think a 20 min vs 15 min preheat will take care of that. much better with turning this time. still need to get the crust thinner, but the taste is 100% there now. also went lighter on the toppings, which helped.

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

No more pizza for me for awhile but this one was so much better and tasting amazing. Need slightly lose cook on the crust and slightly thinner on the crust but that’s just turning management and dough practice

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

one more because its kind of addicting

even better than the last - a little too much cook on part of the crust, need a slightly more consistent crust thickness, but other than that this was basically perfect. i've found a like a lower temperature and a slightly longer bake to get a more finished crust than an ur-traditional Neopolitan. now to start experimenting with dough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlspiracy
Nov 4, 2020

should I stop posting these? best one yet. I rolled out the dough and got rid of a fair bit of the air, which I think I like better, to have more of a ny-style pizza crust. also lowest temp yet.