Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Just chiming in again to tell everyone just how bloody important a hot oven is. Turn it all the way to max (even 500F if thats all you can do).... you want to sort of flash bake your pizza rather than slow bake it...

You'll know your doing it wrong if you pizza feels like your trying to cut through wood every time you cut it....

You're doing it right if the very bottom (like 1mm) of your crust is crispy, and the rest is cooked but not giving "strength" so to speak... in other words, easier to cut...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've never found a great way to unscrew myself from that... but this is what I've worked out (all tips):
1. Close oven and go back to preparation surfaces.
2. If stuck close to the side, peel the pizza off it and throw a little flour on the sticky area.
3. Before heading back to oven, shake the peel horizontally to make sure the pizza is loose and moves...

Honestly, the best solution I've found to avoid this is cornmeal and flour...

I'd like to know what others think...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
My latest creation has been the Jerk Steak pizza... very hard to mess this up. Simply get some steak (drat near anything, including cheaper Tenderized or Sandwich Steaks), cut into thin strips and coat in Walkerwood Jerk Seasoning. Combine this with CUBED mozzarella (not shredded, get a ball and cut it into cubes) and a whole white onion cut into chunks (I quite like to leave the layers in tact so large chunks) on a whole wheat base.

What I cant decide on is if I should precook the steak?

I'm doing a chicken version tonight, and I will precook that for food safety reasons...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So my first pizza sauce has been made. Well worth it!

24oz/700ish ml peeled whole tomatoes
1tsp herbs de provence
1tsp oregano
1tsp minced garlic
1/3tsp salt
1/2 an onion
The same amount of roasted red peppers as the onion (from a jar is fine)

Puree in a blender or with a hand blender and reduce for 20-30 minutes, do not allow it to boil....

Yields about 3 to 4 twelve inch pizzas worth.

I might try fresh basil next

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I do pesto pizzas all the time:
* very thin layer of basil pesto (green). Very very thin as it's typically oily.
* mozarella
* anchovies

I'm thinking about experimenting with red pesto

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I've been spinning through the thread regarding the pizza steel debate and really can't work out what the consensus on them is? Are they worth the $80 or did we find another easy source for them?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Soulex posted:

What's the common consensus for the go to pizza stone? I need to buy one.

Baking Steel overall.
Fibrament stone for off the shelf stone.
Tile from your local stoneworks if you want a cheaper still version.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Tonight was a good one.

Base was 3cups whole wheat flour, 2tbsp sugar + 1tsp instant dry yeast + 2/3cup warm water (as a starter) + grapeseed oil for the base (45 min rise, didn't rise much). Made 2 bases...

Preheated my stone at about 500F for 45 minutes while making a basic sauce using Trader Joe's Fire Roasted Tomatoes + Garlic + Tomato Paste/Puree + Herbs de Provence. I then sliced and cooked some TJ's smoked chiken andoullie sausages (first in a frying pan, but had second thoughts so put them in the oven) to reduce the fat in them.

I then rolled out the base, topped with sauce and TJ's (this is turning into a bloody advert for them! I didn't get the flour, yeast or sugar from there) light mozzarella, one onion, the sausages and some pepperocini... under 10 minutes in the oven.

Frigging great!

EDIT: Sorry, I can't resize/remove that image, should have made it a bit smaller.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Feb 26, 2013

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Polonium posted:

I'm only just starting to get into this whole selfmade Pizza thing, so forgive my stupid question, but...
Is there a legitimate reason for putting the toppings on top of the cheese? Other than the name, maybe.

That's how I always do mine... Tomato base, cheese and toppings on top of cheese... Just seems right to me...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
So the time has come to order my Baking Steel and I'm weighing up my options from their range. I'm trying to decide between the ⅜in Modern Cusisinist edition or the ½in Big edition... Honestly, I'm wondering if the big one would be ungainly and possibly bend my oven racks for very little gain... Thoughts?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I decided the ⅜in one is the choice for me as the difference will be minor to undetectable and I do need to move it from time to time. How fast do they usually ship them (to WA)?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I'm going to need more peels... I tend to make 4-6 pizzas a session, freeze some for lunches (they reheat well in a toaster oven at work). I can't make them fast enough for this thing!

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Alfredo Sauce is another alternative I've used. I was trying to recreate a Philly Cheese Steak pizza from a certain large chain. Was a little heavy but delicious.

Sometimes I also use it on tomato based pizza instead if cheese.

As for pesto use, yes absolutely done that and it works well. A simple anchovy pizza works well.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I just went onto http://bakingsteel.com and it seems fine? No mention of a closure and still active on Twitter?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Depends if you got it from an independent place that really tries hard

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I find a slimmer, slightly laminated wood works best. Mine is from epicure or something like that.

However, if you try the parchment paper for the first minute trick, it's almost irrelevant what you use.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I can't remember the last time we discussed this, but I tried to wing making pizza on a charcoal barbecue.

Full album here: http://imgur.com/a/gmj8m

However, this sums up the experience:

Instead of using less coals and moving them to the back/indirect heat, I put my pizza stone directly on top of glowing lumpwood charcoal. By the time I was done with the first test pizza I had one crack in it.

Once the first test pizza went on (Baking Steel's Mushroom Pizza btw), I closed the lid quick. After 90 seconds smoke was rising but I thought nothing of it as the top wasn't done... waited until it was... then had to chizel the bottom of the pizza off with a spatula on one side. Burned black on one half, uncooked on the other half and all of the top. The second pizza, smaller, burned all over. Third one I timed but uncooked top again and the same was true of the 4th.

This leads me to some research I did on how to do this properly. I was looking over at PizzaMaking.com and they appear to have a few leads on a few things:
1. The Kettle Pizza for $130ish: http://www.kettlepizza.com/
1a. Or you can make your own for about $20 + stones... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VdWPUKibdeU (but whatever you do don't use Galvanized Steel)
2. The Little Black Egg - in other words, convert your Weber barby into a pizza oven - cost varies but looks like I'd need another $60 Weber Jumbo Joe + stones (lots of designs, I've linked to my favourite): http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php?topic=4753.2020#msg262893
3. The Bakerstone Pizza Oven Box - $130ish: http://www.bakerstonebox.com

Out of all of those, I'll probably start on the 1a (the self built kettle pizza) as I don't have to cut into my barby, and doesn't have a high cost of entry and it's portable.

However, after all of that, I have a practical question, do you think aluminium roof flashing ($10-15) will do the job? It's melting point is around 600C/1250F, temperatures not far above what a pizza oven can reach. I can't seem to easily find non-galvanized steel without trebling the cost and it's also harder to work with. Aluminium I could work fairly easily with tin snips ($10 from Home Depot + $3 gloves) and make the rest out of bolts and spare wood ($5?)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Fart Car '97 posted:

Is there a reason you don't just raise it off the coals a bit :confused:

Already at the full height on a jumbo Joe.. Not that much...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Le0 posted:

I'd like to try making a pizza on the grill and we have a 15inch pan for this.
I was planning on making a single pizza and was wondering how much do I need?
Something like 600g seems to be recommended around the net, does that seem correct?

If you mean dough, I would say about 400g for a 12in pizza.

Also, I ordered pizza to my hotel room last night. The price was a fine, deserved for my mistake.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I have a question, essentially, what is the best way to make home made pizzas that I freeze and reheat at the office? I have access to a baking steel and oven at home and a toaster oven, microwave at the office.

When I make them at the moment, I tend to reheat in the toaster oven. But I've noticed that they tend to burn the toppings with this method and dry everything out (crusts like dusty cardboard).

I was wondering if it's best to make just a simple margarita pizza, cooked half way, then put toppings on when I reheat at work in the toaster oven?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Can't wait for the compare review that will no doubt be done by Serious Eats or similar

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
For all my trying and patience over the years, I just can't get used to forming and shaping a pizza by hand. I always end up ripping it. Any advice or links on how to learn?

(I have 2 batches of Jim Lehey's No Kneed Pizza dough waiting for me on the counter at home)

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Happiness Commando posted:

This sounds like a technique/experience problem, but if it is a dough formulation issue, you could add 1% garlic powder to the dough. It does an enzyme thing.

Think it's worth doing even if it is experience? Also, how does it affect the taste? Sounds great?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Happiness Commando posted:

I've been asking metal shops around me to make a 1/4" steel, but either they want an exorbitant amount of money to descale it, or they don't descale at all. Does anyone know how important it is?, or am I stuck buying an $80 Modernist Cuisine one?

How much money would you be saving?

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
I was looking round for quick-rise dough recipes last night and came across this article, which had the best lesson in hand stretching pizza dough I've seen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtAeKM_f2WU

By gosh, it worked!

I tested it on the Sprouted Dough I settled on making (but I tweaked it a bit, 500g flour + 350g water + 1tsp Vital Wheat Gluten + salt + Honey in the 41C water with IDY mixed in and the oil added at the last moment before I stirred it into the flour), and the method was pretty foolproof. Even worked when I had it on parchment.

Used my girlfriend's pesto for a base... I shouldn't have let her top her pizza... who the hell mixes pesto and pizza sauce into a greeny+red mess? Anyway, first one is hers and the second is mine in this album

http://imgur.com/a/gZV8w

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Yep, that and a reseason will do it

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
My recent pizza based antics have seen me trying and loving Baking Steel/Jim Lehey's 72hr Pizza Dough. Effectively, you can use that dough up to 5 days after making it, and it's best after 3.

First experiment was this (unfortunately, I didn't think to photograph the bottom):

I liked it so much I left the remaining dough in the fridge for another day, so at 96hrs, a just a touch of overcooking, I had this:
Album of the 96hr fermented dough

I enjoyed myself so much, a couple of days ago I made a double batch of the above recipe:

And had this for lunch today:
Album of the 48hr fermented dough

Trick was to preheat your oven on convect or bake to the highest it will go (550F in my case), then put the pizza in and turn on your broiler/grill for the first 90 seconds of cooking, then turn it off and wait for it to finish on convect.

Also, while I was researching why exactly this worked, essentially it's the protein content in your flour, should be >12%. Next, for us who live in Canada, remember that US "bread flour" and Canadian "bread flour" are not the same thing (in fact, most flours are high enough protein content in Canada), this article has a good explanation.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

One more from tonight. Finally getting some consistency with shaping the dough, and getting that poo poo off the peel without incident.

Good god man post your dough recipe

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

ColdPie posted:

Pizza night

Your username is slightly misplaced... But I like the inviting topping

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
While we're on the subject of mass pizza production, does anyone have any tips for hosting a pizza party for 9 people, this Wednesday evening?

I've started 3 batches of Jim Lahey's No Knead Pizza Dough but cooking options are:

Ovens:
* Main oven, 550F with broiler/grill - 2 racks (usually have the baking steel on the upper one)
* Breville SmartOven Toaster Oven - single rack - stone/steel wont fit in this

Equipment:
* Baking Steel (modern cuisinist one if you're curious)
* A pizza stone
* 10 and 12in Cast Iron Lodge pans
* EDIT: Cast iron griddle with a flat side
* Various baking trays

I'm thinking that I'll set up a pizza making station (toppings in bowls), make the pizzas on parchment and do steel in the oven and perhaps one of the pans in the toaster oven (using them in the same way I do the steel)?

Throughput might be an issue here...

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Aug 23, 2016

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Mr. Wookums posted:

3 racks, 6 quarter sheets?

I thought about it but honestly, I want to show off the Baking Steel. That's got to have its usual place (top rack of main oven). However, I'm wondering about the pizza stone beneath it, and the 10in Lodge in the Toaster Oven (12 in won't fit with the handle).

I'll see if there's a round 13in stone I can borrow from my mother-in-law-to-be

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Kaedric posted:

This thread has made me incredibly hungry. What is the best pizza stone to buy so I can immediately start putting pizzas in my mouth?

Generally, people like Baking Steel's the best: https://www.bakingsteel.com

Although it's pricey, look at is this way:

A decent pizza stone will last 6 months to a year before it cracks (and it will crack, perhaps 2 years if you're lucky) and is about $20-40. Let's assume $20.

A $80-120 baking steel is basically indestructible, will last for many years (I've had mine 3 now). Even though the cost is 4-6 times a baking stone, the life of a baking steel is more than 6 times that of a stone (and still counting).

And here's some dough to get you going: https://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

whatupdet posted:

Looks like I'll be getting one of these when my current stones eventually crack and they ship to :canada:! The Big looks good at 16x14x1/2" but wow on 30lbs!

I picked up the Modern Cuisinist 3/8in edition and think the world of it. But, given the chance, I'd get the Big.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Pomp posted:

what gives?

You mentioned using the broiler/grill. When you put the pizza in, did you leave the broiler on?

Normally, I would say have the broiler on for the first 2 minutes of pizza cooking time. I usually turn it on as I put the pizza in then switch back to convection after 2 minutes.

In this case, I would turn your oven back to convection or normal immediately, or not use the broiler at all. It might mean longer cooking times but that's kind of the point...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
The family suprised me with a new portable pizza oven...

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 26, 2016

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
With the grill in mind... anyone tried a baking steel on the grill? I'm kind of worried about it bending the grates.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

BraveUlysses posted:

cant you pull the parchment paper out after like 2-3 minutes?

Yep, I do exactly that.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

EngineerJoe posted:

Wood, absolutely.

Can anyone link to a specific wood peel?

I've got:
1. An Epicurian one, which is sealed wood and behaves more like metal
2. A metal one, we've covered that
(both were gifts)

The last true wood one I used was kind of thick and somewhat cheap. Don't want to fall into that trap again.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Sextro posted:

I'm struggling with the sprouts/basil/carrot part of the equation. I don't want them cold, and I don't want them to cook too much and start releasing their liquids thus ruining the whole thing.

I'd consider cooking them separately in a hot wok or similar, and adding them at the end of the cook or just before serving. Using tongs as a way to drain off any unwanted juices.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
If you want more toppings that piss off people who are not eating the pizza: sweetcorn.