Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

GroovinPickle posted:

I brush the outside of the pie (the crust) lightly with olive oil and parbake at 500 (max temp) for about 3 minutes.

I do that but add crushed garlic to the olive oil about 30 minutes before then brush the whole pizza top. I want to try it with a habenero but my family doesn't like spicy food.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Anyone used granite or quartz countertop pieces for pizza stones? I googled it a bit and found something about Jamie Oliver recommending granite. Would be heavy though.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

NosmoKing posted:

My quartz countertops cost more than the car I currently drive.

The scraps are dirt cheap. I bought a 30" wide piece for $30, cut to size, edges polished and it came with a backsplash. Basically it was free and the $30 went to the guys in the shop who do the cutting and polishing.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
See if I can get the right thread this time.

I tried a google search but it just gave me 8,000,000 hits on recipes... I've been buying Boars Head pepperoni and it's way too greasy. Should I be looking for something specific for pizza or buy another brand?
(or as suggested elsewhere, precook the pepperoni)

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Yeah microwaving the pepperoni really quick sandwiched between a couple paper towels does wonders.

Seems like the simplest solution, will give it a try.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I have little to no experience with dough making, what's a tasty beginner dough recipe? One in the OP? Should I just follow some youtubes ? I want to start down the path of pizza enlightenment.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Edit: I have seen recipes that say all purpose and some that say bread flour -- should it be bread flour?

PT6A posted:

I find it's less of a pain in the rear end to go with a recipe that's given by weight, because I like measuring things with a scale. I can't remember exactly where I got my dough recipe, but I think it was from Genaro Contaldo's YouTube channel.

I have a scale, weight is good for me. This is what I got from the video.
500 g strong flour + 1 tsp salt = mix
325 ml warm water + 7 g yeast = mix
Mix, pull and fold, Divide into 4 portions, cover with damp cloth, rest in warm place for at least 2 hours
Push into pizza shape with hands, sauce, olive oil, salt, parmesan, mozzarella, basil, olive oil again
7 minutes at 428F

This dude is insane in a way I like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-SJGQ2HLp8

edit; the recipe in this video is very slightly different, mostly on times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-VRntrbypI

wormil fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 3, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Success. I followed Gennaro's recipe above for the crust and it was good, very basic. I've had better crust. I used raw tomato sauce instead of store bought sauce or any pizza sauce recipe and that was good. Baked the pizza for 7:30 @ 550, best I can do.

Lessons learned:
1. I am terrible at making circles but am a master at making pizza in the shape of Lake Michigan.
2. My dough shrinks after I press it out, kinda frustrating. But thickness was fine when it cooked.
3. I really need a pizza peel.
4. Raw tomato for sauce is good.
5. deleted
6. Next time I will add a little sugar to the dough.
7. I need a better pizza pan or a pizza steel. All I have now is an aluminum pizza pan with holes which actually worked well but the aluminum is "sticky" against the steel grates at high temps.
8. I need better oven mitts. What works at 425f doesn't work well at 550f.
9. Whoever first put basil leaves on pizza was a genius. Crazy how much they shrink though. The pizza in the picture below was covered with big basil leaves.

Rate my pizza. This was my 3rd pizza. The one in the upper right is garlic/cheese bread made with the same dough and it was fantastic.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

IMO I wouldn't unless you have some reason to work the yeast into more of a frenzy. And even then you might be better off with diastetic malt powder.

Thanks for the tips. I followed the Gennaro Contaldo video as closely as I could, just need to practice. Only reason I considered sugar was I felt the crust would benefit from a bit of sweetness but I'm no baker so I should probably leave well enough alone.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Pizza Night #2 was not a success. Same Genaro recipe, all ingredients weighed, but I changed 2 things.

* I used 10g of salt instead of 5g, this does not seem out of line with other dough recipes.
* Instead of placing a damp towel over the dough, I oiled the tops and used Saran wrap.

The dough was rose nicely but was super wet. Even using lots of flour it was almost impossible to work. When baked it was cracker-like instead pizza crust. What did I do wrong?

Dough recipe for reference.

quote:

500 g strong flour + 5g salt = mix
325 ml warm water + 7 g yeast = mix
Mix, pull and fold, Divide into 4 portions, cover with damp cloth, rest in warm place for at least 2 hours

edit;

Happiness Commando posted:

Technique helps. So does garlic powder.

Thanks, I will try this.

wormil fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jun 17, 2018

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Like a saltine cracker. The oil was however much oil it takes to brush a light coat over dough so not very much. I'll try again like the first time and see how it goes.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

How wet were the dough balls when it was time to form the pizzas?

Last gotcha, we're you rolling them out? If so, can you recall how much flour you used up there?

Dough was very wet. Did not use a roller, just my hands.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
That's probably it, too much sand in the flour. So dumb of me. Maybe the water was just extra wet that day. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

/e- looking at your previous posts make the pie on parchment for ease of transfer. You don't seem to be using the broiler method which is the line parchment can't cross.

I'm not using parchment on the homemade dough. I bought pizza dough from the store awhile back which came wrapped in parchment paper but I didn't like how it turned out. The homemade dough I cooked on a preheated pizza pan @550F. But I also baked one on an unheated pan and it turned out much the same. My wife baked a couple in a cast iron skillet and they turned out great.

Ola posted:

I measure all my poo poo to the gram, every time. My dough is never the same twice. I've resigned my fate to the gluten god.

Yeah I don't know. I just need more experience.

Would the water make a difference? The first time I used tap water. The second time I used purified water because I had some left over from fermenting.