Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Ok, been going pizza crazy the past month or so. My wife got me a pizza steel and peel for my b-day to support my habits. I've been getting a ton better with my dough manipulation (partly because the recipe I was using at first made a really wet and hard to work with dough) and testing out different sauce recipes, ingredients, and dough types.

This is the master dough recipe from The Pizza Bible with 100% All-Trumps flour, fridged for 48 hours. Basic tomato sauce of a can of San Marzanos lightly pulsed with garlic, olive oil, oregano, and chili flakes. I'm not sure if I liked it any more than my cooked down New York style sauce I've made previously. Trader Joes block mozzarella (quite good for pizza). Ezzo's pepperoni. The pepperoni shrunk and moved on me, messing up the distribution attractiveness. Finished with a little pecorino romano.

The bones of the crust were drat good, but the body crust was a little chewy on me. I fear I may have overworked it before the fridge time, or my bake was a little under.

I'm going to be trying some other dough recipes soon to see which works best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I use a pretty basic folding handle alum peel and.... Parchment paper. I remove the paper after a few minutes. Works incredibly well. Don't care if it's cheating.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Parchment paper is seriously amazing and doesn't impact the crust, especially when you remove it after it sets up after a minute or two. I use a pizza steel and my bottom crusts are insane, even using parchment paper to ensure a good launch.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I hate the pizza steel dough recipe. Way too wet. Use the Pizza Bible base recipe, it's far better IMO.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Doom Rooster posted:

Great looking pie. Was planning on having India food for dinner. Not anymore. Pizza it is!

No such thing as too wet! (Pizza Bible recipe is great too)

I could never form the dough well at all. As soon as I went to the Bible recipe I was making pizzeria-quality pies, at least in appearance.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

those slices tho. drat.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Just bought a house, and my and my wife want an outdoor patio pizza oven stat. Any suggestion? I'd prefer it not be smokey/sooty after the first 2, which I felt was a real problem from my friends Uuni oven. Maybe he was using it poorly?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

https://www.stadlermade.com/products/outdoor-oven/

I was looking at that one which is like $650 shipped...

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

You think the Uuni is good, though? Maybe it was just user error on my friends part. I didn't really watch them cook anything. Also their dough recipe isn't really.. good... at all.

also found this: https://www.roccbox.com/us/product/

ShaneB fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 4, 2018

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Doom Rooster posted:

The Roccbox LOOKS good, but I have never used it. I'd bet money that the floor needs significant reheat time between pizzas though.

Never judge an appliance by its lovely included recipe. Especially if that appliance is Scandinavian.

No I mean my friends recipe is bad.

Thanks for instructions though!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Yup! Been an amazing oven, and I've been happy as hell with it. But my pop-up pizza business is growing faster than expected so I'm looking into a full dome oven on a trailer so I can start pumping out 50 pizzas an hour if needed :P

Whoa.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

tbh as it was a pan pizza probably not enough oil. Even a wet dough should be able to be handled if the gluten is properly shaped and 2% salt is better than 1%. Look for pizza balling or w/e on youtube for an example.

/e- looking at your previous posts make the pie on parchment for ease of transfer. You don't seem to be using the broiler method which is the line parchment can't cross.

Remove parchment at like 2-3 minutes, it works perfecto.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Anyone have a suggestion for high gluten flour I don't necessarily have to get in 50lb bags? I had a source for All Trump's in 50# but can't find it where I now live. I got a bag of Kyrol at the Costco business center, but so far I don't like it as much as all trumps. We will see after this next batch of pizzas. I'd just get all trumps shipped but $$$$$$$

This is for New York style in a 500F oven on a steel.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

kirtar posted:

I think King Arthur Sir Lancelot is around the same protein percent range as All Trumps

Yeah, but do you like it? :)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ogopogo posted:

Belgian endive, goat cheese, salami, pesto, mozz, pecorino, Di Napoli tomatoes, basil, olive oil, sourdough

Hachi machi. What bake method are you using? What dough?

Stuff like this needs to be my next steps, as my New York style in my oven is on lockdown.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ogopogo posted:

This is a neapolitan style sourdough pizza, 63% hydration using Caputo 00 blue bag flour. Instead of yeast I use my starter, which constitutes about 20% of the final dough. I cook them in my wood fired Pizza Party oven, around 850-900F for 90-120 seconds :)

Oh yeah you're THAT GUY :(

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Mikey Purp posted:

No, "that guy" who has a dope af pizza oven trailer and a pop-up pizzeria business.

Yes that guy. Only respect was meant.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

The pizza Bible recipe is far better than kenjis for new York style.

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/master-dough-with-starter-51255340

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Father is looking for a pizza oven, but not as much as the pizza party. Anyone have experience with the uno, roccbox, or pizzacraft?

The uuni kinda sucks, imo. I think one can, eventually, make good pizza in it but I wouldn't buy one after borrowing it.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

A Sometimes Food posted:

No pics cause I forgot but I put capers on a pizza and am now annoyed I never thought of it before.

Capers, the gross booger version of anchovy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Use the Pizza Bible recipe. It's the best NY style dough I've used. I use his dough and kenjis NY sauce with a little more tomato paste/sweetness.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I. M. Gei posted:

I might do that next time but I feel like I need to get this one right first. Like it won’t be right if I don’t.

Also doesn’t the Pizza Bible recipe use a poolish or something? I need to get a glass bowl before I make that.

EDIT: gently caress didn’t mean to make this a double post

I make a poolish in a cereal bowl. You don't need anything fancy.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I use a grill stone

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Made some decent new yorkers last night. 2 of the 4 I made:

The trader joes antipasti semi-dried herbed cherry tomatoes in the packaging for $2 are one of my new favorite toppings. The pepperoni was drat good and cupped nicely, but I have no idea what it is. I've taken to just asking pizza places that have good pepperoni for a small container of their stuff when I see it, and they are almost always willing to give me some (then I throw bucks into the tip jar, of course).

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

Do you notice a difference and is it worth it?

Reason I ask is I mainly do New York style pizzas. Lots of forums say to find King Arthur sir Lancelot or Trumps flour.

I’ve tried those with a cold ferment, and I honestly don’t notice a huge difference between those and standard KA bread flour. kA bread flour is a lot cheaper and easier to get, so I just use that.

I get the high protein stuff in bulk at the Costco business center. Works nicely for sourdough bread and NY pizza.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

GramCracker posted:

Awesome, thank you. Would you say 1/4 of an inch thickness is appropriate?

Now I have to refine making sauce before this new steel arrives.

I still don't think any sauce compares to the easy/great serious eats New York sauce.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

Running low on yeast so I need your favorite pizza recipe that uses a sourdough starter instead of yeast-go!

holy crap just came in here to ask the same question

starter rules, instant yeast drools

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

nwin posted:

The only good thing is I still have a case of Jersey fresh tomatoes I got last month, plus about 10 pounds of flour left. Cheese could be an issue-running low on polly-o

I couldn't find mozzarella anywhere last time I ventured to the store. I did discover Murray's ricotta is friggen' incredible, however.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

VERTiG0 posted:

Made a batch of dough on Saturday that I've got in my fridge still, in a steel bowl covered with saran wrap. I need to freeze it or use it. What could I do with it besides pizzas that you'd recommend? My wife and I are totally pizza'd out after this past week (heresey, I know).

ive lightly oiled a plastic round container and tossed skins in there then into the freezer. works well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

slave to my cravings posted:

You could try focaccia but that’s sort of in the same family. Might be best just to freeze and save it for later. Just let it thaw for a 10-12 hours in fridge before you use it. Might need to take it out and let it thaw for 30-60 min at room temp too depending on your fridge temp.

I let all my dough warm up to about 70F before I start working with it. Fridge temp is way too inelastic, I feel. Anyone have other opinions?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

slave to my cravings posted:

I’ve had the opposite problem where if I let it get too warm it starts to tear, lol. There is probably a bit of a balance but I’m not sure where it is.

In FWSY, Forkish recommends for the levain pizza dough to refrigerate for 30 min after coming to RT for an hour.

After moving to a Gemignani New York dough recipe everything got way better w/r/t tearing. It's very strong dough.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

My baking steel keeps getting surface rust on it... even after scrubbing it off and re-oiling it's coming back. Kinda frustrating.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Heners_UK posted:

By any chance are you baking bread and leaving the water tray in during oven cool down?

This was my mistake this week.

Nope! I have been using it a bit more in the oven as a heat spreader/shield for the above rack, which has a cast iron dutch oven for sourdough baking. That's it. No steamy stuff.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Splinter posted:

I've been debating pulling the trigger on an Ooni myself. The Koda looks like an easy to use winner, but any thoughts on their other models that can use wood/charcoal (and also gas via add-on)?

The wood pellet one is way too fussy and a pain imo. I want this gas one tho. How well does it do for New York style where I don't really want 900F?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

OK, yall, time to get an outdoor pizza oven for the new year. I am eyeballing the Ooni Koda 12 or 16, or the Roccbox. I primarily want the ease of use of propane as fuel and consistent heat. I have read that the Koda are fairly light and don't have the thermal mass of the Roccbox, but if anyone has direct experience with either let me know.

Thank ya!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

I got my Ooni Koda 16 propane oven finally!!

First impressions: It's loving huge. It's also loving hot. I have been doing solely New York style pizza over the past few years in my traditional oven at 500F. The heat of the Ooni, even on the lowest settings, is challenging to handle as it gets the crust very dark, and if you over-top the pizza you will end up with an uncooked middle. This isn't drastically different than my oven experiences, but it feels more pronounced due to the crust getting so dark so quickly.

The crust rise and texture was really great, and after a few 8" test pizzas I felt like I was getting the hang of it. You definitely have to rotate the pizza a LOT. I just pulled it and spun it like 45 degrees over and over to get the most even bake. That's kind of annoying, but it cooks so fast it doesn't feel like an ordeal.

I also loved the way the top bakes really well, too. Pepperoni were crispy on the edges and curled up nicely, all that good stuff, without having to do any annoying broiler methods.

I think that with the right dough stretch and topping amounts, it's going to be good for New York style, but I'm guessing an oven like that is even better for Neapolitan style, right?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

chia posted:

Simple is good

Can I get your dough recipe on this? Looks perfecto.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

chia posted:

<dough recipe>

Where do you get fresh yeast? Is that like sourdough starter, or is it a specific product you can get at the grocery?

Thanks!

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mediaphage posted:

not op, but it's less common in north america, though you can often find it at specialty shops. you can also just breed a little instant yeast in a bowl of warm water and sugar or something.

I've used instant dried yeast for all the pizza I've made so far, but I'm interested in alternatives!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

So, for this recipe that was posted:

00 Flour 475 g
Water 310 g
Salt 14 g
Fresh Yeast 5 g

What amounts of instant or active dry would I use, do you think?