Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Looking to get into making Pizzas in my oven and I'm looking at what gear to pick up. Neapolitan is my favorite so I'm aiming to do that, but I certainly like NY style as well. Currently in terms of equipment I have basically nothing, however someone is giving us a free 13" pizza stone and I have $70 in Amazon cashmoney to spend.

I was actually looking at the fairly old Cast Iron Skillet + Broiler method from Kenji that sounded very straightforward (I've done some of those lazy tortilla pizzas before which is essentially the same idea), however my Skillet is only 10" so I'd probably want to pick up something slightly bigger. The problem is that my stove top elements are glass-ceramic and aren't even large enough to handle my 10" properly, so anything bigger seems like a bust.

So, it sounds like I might as well just go in for some steel and do the steel + stone method with my broiler? It looks like the NerdChef models, even .25" is $80 though, don't know if there are other brands I should look at instead that cost less or what.

I need a peel as well of course. So, should I just go for this peel and this steel ? Or are there any less expensive but just as good choices out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

I'm not planning on making anything bigger than 12" so something like that is an option. I'll keep it in mind if I happen to see anything at a good price.

Also to my post above, I actually have a top broiler that does a pretty good job so assuming that, I actually wouldn't need the pizza stone anyway if I got some steel? It's no skin off my back either way, a friend of ours basically just said 'you can have it if you want it'.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

What kind of white sauce is that? I've been using a pretty simple Parmesan cream sauce and I've noticed I have to be super dainty with it, otherwise it seems to separate out and get hella messy.

Pretty good when it comes out right though (sorry for terrible camera as usual):

Parmesan cream, mozz, ricotta, prosciutto, basil, my go-to white pizza. Was using Kenji's NY dough for this, though I think it really lends itself better to Neapolitan.

Experimenting with my oven has been interesting, the most difficult part with the cast iron + broiler of course is consistency. The broiler turns on and off whenever it feels like so I have to try and mentally keep track of the timing. And the heating element only spans about the middle 2/3 of the oven, so I have to make extra sure the pizza is centered otherwise things get a bit uneven. Also not sure how hot I should be letting the cast iron get to, or if I should be leaving it in and using a peel or just taking it out to assemble the pizza on (what I have been doing so far).

Oven itself only goes to about 550F, but with the broiler on High I can get a pizza fully cooked in about 1:45, so it does a pretty decent job considering.

Bonus sausage and ricotta:

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Lodge pizza pan is only $40 but it's also only 14", do you need bigger than that?