Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.
I see some dough recipes calling for warm water, and some for cold water. Does the difference lead to difference in the final dough product? Or is it just preference?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

How do I make the crust on final product softer? I don't have my recipe handy but I remember I used a ratio of 3:1 of flour to liquid and let it rise for about two hours at room temperature, divided the dough and let it rise again for an hour or so. Baked it on a ~550 degree stone.

The end result was crispy and tasted fine, however I'd like to try a softer crust as well.

Any suggestions?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I decided to experiment and buy some different types of flour. Any tips or suggestions for using Caputo tipo 00 flour for pizza?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Ran into a snag making pizza last night and was curious for some tips. Was trying out a new type of dough (Using tipo 00 flour instead) but going through the usual motions. When I went to put the pie in the oven the dough was stuck to the peel. I did use some corn meal on the peel before but perhaps I didn't use enough? I also made the crust rather thin so it made it difficult to transfer or lift it up. Any other suggestions to fix a pie that is stuck on the peeler?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Anybody have tips on freezing and storing their dough? I've been slightly flattening the dough (approximately 1" thick) then covering in flour and wrapping in wax paper before freezing. It works OK but occasionally the dough will stick to the paper and I end up losing chunks. Anybody have a better method?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Dough question. A few months ago I made some dough using tipo 00 flour. I believe the ratio was approximately 5.5 cups to 2 water plus some salt, sugar, and olive oil. The first time I made it the dough came out very well and was easy to manage. However the last two times I've made it using the same flour the dough has come out very sticky and difficult to manage. It also tends to be very thin. The only difference in the technique is the last two times I've started it in a stand mixer then kneaded by hand for about twenty more minutes.

Any thoughts as to what may be causing the extra stickiness of the dough? Was the first time a fluke and I should pass on that flour variety?

This is the recipe off the top of my head, may have some of the details wrong.

5.25 cups flour plus extra for dusting
.25 mg yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
1.25 cup ice cold water
2 tablespoons olive oil
1.5 tsp sugar
1 tbs salt

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

My wife just won an Ooni Karu 12 and I'm very excited to start making some pies. I'm a very novice pizza chef having only really made them in a 500° oven. Anyone with experience with the Ooni line have advice/tips? Essential accessories? I've already ordered a peel and a thermometer. How well do they do in cold weather?

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

I'm looking for some tips to adjust dough. This weekend I used this recipe in an Ooni pizza oven. Everyone agreed it was the best tasting dough I've made so far (only third attempt) but it had a very narrow window between delicious and burning or quite literally catching on fire.

I kept an eye on it and rotated but it still had a narrow window. Are there adjustments I can make to keep the flavor without the quick burning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Doom Rooster posted:

That dough recipe looks fine. It’s Neapolitan in an Ooni, so at the proper temp there’s going to be about a 4 second window between not quite done enough, and burned. That’s kinda just the nature of it.

You can keep the heat up to keep the deck hot, then turn down the flame a little right before you launch the pie. That will widen the window of doneness, but the crown may be a little denser or cracked because it won’t puff up as much before the outside sets.

Honestly, I’d just stick to the plan and watch it like a hawk.

Thanks, how do you "turn down the flame" on the wood fired oven?