Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Sextro posted:

Any suggested Pizza Peels to order from the internet?

This one has worked well for me

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
First attempts using The Elements of Pizza methods (had started with FWSY before):

chorizo, mushroom, onion, garlic

fresh mozzarella, evoo, basil

fresh mozzarella, evoo, jamón serrano, arugula

Went well for the most part. Oven goes to 525, but no top broiler (one of those pull out bottom broilers), so I had to adjust for that a bit. Think I was stretching the dough a bit too thin in the very center on the first two. Also was using a new 0.5" thick cordierite pizza stone which seemed to be a noticeable improvement over the thin ceramic stone I was using before (which cracked despite no thermal shock).

Splinter fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Mar 6, 2019

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Heners_UK posted:

I opened Google Play Books today and noticed that The Elements of Pizza by Ken Forkish is CAD$2.99. I don't recall it being that cheap before but I've got the play credit. So with that and that I've been doing this for about 8 years now, is it a good buy? Some reviews indicate it's more of a starter book which might not be as useful to me now.

At $3 you can't really go wrong.

It is more of a starter book, but the recipes and techniques are good, and it covers a wide variety of pizza styles. Everything is tailored to achieving results in a typical home oven (e.g. that caps out at around 525 F), so for example, you don't need a fancy pizza oven to attempt his Neapolitan (and his dough recipes are adjusted compared to a traditional Neapolitan dough to account for this).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

If I don't have crushed tomatoes is there any reason I can't use whole peeled tomatoes and crush them with a masher?

Does it matter?

If anything, whole peeled are preferred to crushed, as I've read the higher grade tomatoes are saved for whole while lower grade are diced/crushed. You can also drain them then blend, or even blend without draining as long as you are careful not to over-blend.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Work excess dough from the middle to the outsides when you're shaping to get that extra dough buildup around the edge. Also you'll get more rise from the edge if you keep sauce off it.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
From what I've read, pizza dough hydration should be matched to your oven temp. The idea being the longer cook times that result from lower temperature bakes will dry out your dough more, so you need to up the hydration to compensate. E.g. If you've got an oven that can get up to 700-900 F, you'd probably want something in the 55-60% hydration range for Neapolitan style (maybe a little higher for the lower end of that range), but if you're stuck with your typical 500-500 F home oven, you probably want something around 70% hydration.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Stefan Prodan posted:

Hmm that seems backwards from what I know? As far as I know neapolitan dough is very wet and NY is drier but I could be wrong

Well, style of pizza is also a factor. But within a given style, that rule applies. The example I've seen is if you're making authentic Neapolitan pizza @ 900 F you'd want something like 58% hydration, but if you want to make Neapolitan style in a home oven you'd want more like 70%, or the dough will dry out.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

ogopogo posted:

I run a 69% hydration for my Neapolitan dough in a 900F oven, lower hydration’s are better for lower temps/longer bakes as far as I’ve seen. The heat essentially flash vaporizes the water in the dough and causes that super light, pillowy, thin style crust.

Whatever works, works. My example was based on the AVPN guidelines, which works out to ~55-60% hydration I believe based on the flour ranges they give.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I've been debating pulling the trigger on an Ooni myself. The Koda looks like an easy to use winner, but any thoughts on their other models that can use wood/charcoal (and also gas via add-on, e.g. the Karu)?

Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 24, 2020

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
On my kitchen oven (which only hits 500-525 F), I've found parbaking the crust / some sauce (I'll add a bit more sauce after the parbake) is the way to go. Otherwise the toppings get overcooked (& cheese liquefies) before the crust gets an ideal amount of browning. Exact amount of time for the parbake depends on your oven/stone/dough. I've found 3-4 minutes is good as well, but IME you have a lot of wiggle room with the parbake if you don't have any toppings that really need to cook (I often don't time the parbake any more). You'll figure out what is a good parbake time for your set up pretty quickly (just keep adding/subtracting a minute from the parbake until you hit a point where your toppings and crust are finishing at around the same time in the final bake). Also, if you realize you parbaked too long, you can always switch on the broiler for a bit to speed up the cheese melting/topping crisping.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Reynold posted:

I want to make a deep dish in my 14" cast iron, my oven goes to 550 plz halp tell me what do

Make pizza? I don't think super high oven temperature is something that's desired for deep dish.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If I get an Ooni Koda, in 6 months how much will I regret not getting a Koda 16?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I haven't been able to find that finely ground 00 flour locally for a bit. Would King Arthur all purpose or bread flour be a better substitute in the meantime? I'm thinking the bread flour would be better as it's protein content (12.7%) is closer to the 00 flour I'd typically use (believe it is ~12.5%). This would be for a Forkish home-oven (a sad 550F) neopolitan style recipe.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

large hands posted:

That being said the 12 in its little carrying bag is great for taking places

I've been leaning towards the 12 for this reason. I have dreams of whipping it out on a camping trip. Is that realistic with the 12?

e: does it work directly on a plastic folding table, or would I need to put some plywood or something in between the oven and table in that case?

Splinter fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Aug 3, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bolind posted:

Heads up in case this hasn’t been posted: Ooni is doing 20% nearly site wide for Black Friday.

Thank you! Think I'll finally pull the trigger on a Koda 12 & carrying case.

e: apparently they increased prices recently, so this actually only ends up being $30 cheaper than the previous price, so kinda regret not pulling the trigger earlier. Still though, this seems like the price isn't going to get better that this with the current level of demand.

Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Nov 23, 2021

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The Ooni Koda 12 arrived today! I've been making pizza for a couple years using the Elements of Pizza methods, but does anyone have any tips for moving up to the Koda? I already added a cheap-o amazon 7" turning peel and IR thermometer to the toolkit to help. Any good dough recipes to try out for starters, or guidelines for adapting EoP dough recipes for the hotter oven? IIRC Forkish mentions the actually neopolitan restaurants he visited in Italy use a lower hydration dough when baking at 900F compared his recipes that are adapted for 500-550F. However, IIRC from previous discussions in this thread, some here like to actually raise hydration for the faster/hotter bakes (essentially the opposite of what Forkish says).

HolHorsejob posted:

What do folks use to make their peel nice and slidey? I'm using cornmeal but I can rarely make the pizza slide easy unless I use way too much

I usually just use AP flour on a wood peel without much issue. The main trick I've found is that if the dough is sitting on the peel for too long while you're building the pizza it'll get stuck, so you just need to jerk the peel every so often to keep the dough sliding.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah, I've tried the frozen pizza on a stone before (another brilliant "I just got home from the bar" idea) and it tends to come out worse than just putting it directly on the oven rack (or whatever the box recommends). Probably somewhat varies by the type/brand of pizza, but in general they're designed to get sufficiently crispy crust without the use of a stone, so when you add the stone you either end up burning the bottom before the top is finished, or turn the crust into a cracker.

But in terms of decent stone for $40, if you search for a "cordierite pizza stone" on Amazon (or wherever), those will probably be decent for that price. The thicker, the better, and I'd also recommend rectangular over circular as that will give you more surface area to work with for a given oven depth (little more room for error), but not a huge deal either way. Some prefer pizza steel instead of stone, but those tend to be more in the $70+ range (when bought retail as a pizza product at least).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

bartlebee posted:

Not to necro this thread, but I ended up with $275 in gift cards for Christmas and was considering splurging to get an Ooni 12 outdoor propane pizza oven, which is about $400. However, they also have a 16 inch oven, but it runs $600. If I get the twelve, is this gonna be a false economy situation where I get pissed at myself for not shelling out an extra two hundred bucks and buying the bigger one?

One advantage of the 12 is it's more portable if you want to take it to a friends house or camping or whatever. If you never plan on taking it anywhere, might be worth going for the 16 if you can afford it. You'll probably want the ability to make larger pizzas at some point, and even when doing 12" pizzas, you'll have a lot more room to work with (and you get heat from 2 sides instead of just the rear). I just got a 12 for the portability, I'm still learning how to use it, but I can definitely see how the 16 would be easier to work with and more forgiving with loading and turning.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
WebRestaurantStore has them too. With shipping it's similar in cost to Amazon, but if you have other supplies you need to order it could end up a significantly better deal (as the base price is much cheaper, while Amazon bakes the price of shipping into their base price).

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Took a few attempts to get the hang of the turning peel in the tiny oven, but here are my early non-burnt results from the Ooni Koda 12 (pardon the sloppy toppin'):

For a dough recipe thus far, I've been using Forkish's 24-48 hour dough (from Elements of Pizza), except with the hydration adjusted from 70% down to 60% (as the 70% recipe is designed for 550F home ovens), but I'd like to start experimenting. Any recommendations for other recipes to try?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Does anyone have recommendations for containers to store dough balls (for 12" pies) during cold ferment? I usually just use dinner plates with plastic wrap, but I'd like to get something that's sealable and stackable that would pack well in a cooler and also just take up less space in the fridge when making lots of pies at once. I was thinking of buying a bunch of small plastic tupperwares, but does anyone know of appropriately sied divided options for storing 4-8 balls in a single container?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Cranked out 7 pizzas with the Ooni yesterday at a friend's BBQ, which is more than I've done at once before. Forgot to snap some pics of most of them, but here's one, pesto w/ anchovies:

Overall it was much less of an ordeal than doing even just 4-5 pies in a conventional oven due to how fast they cook. With the home oven I really had to be prepping the next pie while baking to keep the pies coming at a reasonable pace, while with the Ooni it was more a straightforward & less stress prep > bake > prep > bake workflow. Allowed me to wait until the current pizza was served to see if people were ready for another (after we were 4-5 pies + other BBQ deep), rather than having to anticipate if people would still be hungry while a pie was in the oven. It also wasn't much trouble at all to transport the whole setup: folding table, Koda 12 w/ carrying case, propane, cooler bag w/ dough/sauce/toppings, bag w/ peel and other accessories. Only really 2 loads of stuff to carry. A++ would buy again.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah if you're not using a wooden peel for loading, try that. Also, if you're already sticking after adding your sauce and toppings, take breaks in the middle of topping to test to see if it's still sliding. E.g., add your sauce > pickup peel & slide > add cheese > pickup peel & slide > add toppings > pickup peel & slide (as a test rather than going straight to loading onto the stone). If at any point it's at all grabby when you shimmy the peel to slide it, stop and try to get some more flour under it until it's sliding again.

I also haven't use semolina, I usually just use AP or whatever flour I used for the dough (usually 00), but I doubt that's making much of a difference.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

nwin posted:

However last week I pushed too hard and I ended up having a calzone kinda thing for my second pie…still good, but defeating.

I've been much more consistent thinking about it more like bringing the tip of the peel to where on the stone I want the pizza to go, then pulling the peel out from under the pie (still requires a mini launch motion to get the pizza to start to slide), rather than trying to push the pie in. Easier said than done in a low clearance oven like an Ooni 12, but a very reliable approach for a home oven.

My most interesting launch in recent memory was putting a raw egg on as a topping, sending it a bit to hard on the launch, causing the egg to slide completely off the top of the pizza onto the Ooni 12's burner. Haven't tried an egg in the Ooni again since then, but I"m thinking it might be best to add it post launch when it's ready to start being turned.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Ror posted:

I have definitely pulled a Papa John when I was on a pizza making kick.

< Insert joke about pizza making leading to bigotry here >

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Yeah those Safeway/Walmart/TJs/major chain low moisture whole milk mozz 1 lb rounded blocks are all roughly the same in quality IME. Wouldn't be surprised if in some cases it's the same factory producing the cheeses for multiple stores/brands.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
If you're only doing a few turns, turning more frequently but with smaller rotations per turn with a turning peel could be a bit more forgiving. This gives you a peak at whether you're burning or close to burning sooner and then you can adjust if so. And if you ever under bake a section, you can just go back to that section at some point before you finish. I do tend to turn the flame down a bit before I load just in case I slide it in too deep in which case at full blast it may burn before I can get a good grip with the peel.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm planning on making pizza while camping for the first time with an Ooni. Any tips for how to manage the dough timing when the temperature during transit/camping will possibly be colder than a normal fridge? My normal dough recipe I'll make 24-48 hours before I want to bake pizza. After an initial 2-3 hours at room temperature, the rest of that time is a cold ferment in the fridge. Should I try to include ice chest time (12V fridge actually) in my timing, or would it be better to do the full ferment at home and then maybe freeze the dough balls? I've never frozen dough balls before but I assume this might be the most reliable method as I can stop the fermentation at a predictable point via freezing.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Power Khan posted:

When you make several pizzas in your ooni koda, do you use the special brush after each one to clean it out?

I'm getting some unpleasant burned flour on the bottoms

Only time I use the brush/scraper mid session is if I had some sort of loading disaster or topping spillage that would mess up the next pies. Otherwise I just brush after it's cooled down (or before I fire up the oven). I think technically even the Ooni brush isn't supposed to be used while the oven is hot.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

Human Tornada posted:

It's not really fair to compare pepperoni to American cheese just because they're both American in origin. Pepperoni is salami that's been flavored a certain way, American cheese is "processed cheese food product" which a lot of people (fairly, IMO) criticize as not "real cheese".

Pepperoni is the quintessential American pizza topping, but American cheese is the quintessential cheeseburger cheese galaxy-wide. So you are correct it's not a fair comparison.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I'm not a fan of sugary hot sauces like that to begin with, but I've specifically bought a sugary black truffle infused hot sauce (not Truff, but similar ingredient list..which I wish I had read before buying) and never found a good use for it. I think truffles have their place, but they're a bit of a fad in terms of how they're being added to/infused in seemingly everything these days.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I do around 60% hydration for my Ooni dough. My understanding is one of the advantages of cooking at 900F+ is the ability to use a lower hydration dough than you would baking at home oven temperatures (where I see recipes calling for ~70%+) without the crust drying out due to the much faster bake time. FWIW "authentic" Neapolitan dough (according to AVPN) is supposed to be in the ~55-62% range IIRC. No need to follow those guidelines if you want the results of a higher hydration dough, point is just that you shouldn't need to go with 70-80% hydration for the sole purpose of avoiding burning the crust.

With the Ooni I do start turning my pizza pretty much as soon as it releases from the stone, and do a bunch of smaller turns (like 1/4 turn or less) while it bakes rather than just 1 or 2 big turns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Congrats! I’ll be in Vegas May 30 - June 2, I'll have to stop by for a pie.