Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I tried the Modernist Cuisine technique of vacuum sealing buffalo mozz with a bunch of paper towels and it's the first time I've actually found it usable for pizza. This and draining my crushed tomatoes for a few hours before making the sauce has dramatically reduced the moisture content of my toppings and allowed them to cook at about the same pace as the crust. I feel like now I can truly cook at the proper temps, assuming I can achieve them.

I bought this grill conversion that can get reach 7-900°F.

The problem is it takes like $20 worth the charcoal to get it up to those temps. That's fine for a party or something where you are cooking a lot of pies for a while but is a little ridiculous for a 2 person meal. I may try just starting some logs in my fire pit but that's time consuming and still silly for a weeknight dinner. Have you guys found any oven hacks or tried the pizzaque propane unit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

ColHannibal posted:

Cast iron griddle under broiler works well for me.

How close are you putting your rack?

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I don't know very much about the fatigue cycles of these stones, but I've been down that road and they ALWAYS crack after a few years. I finally went the steel route. For the price of a purpose made baking stone you should be able to get a plate from your local Metal Supermarkets or the like. They can usually plasma cut up to 1/2" on the spot and the beauty is you can select the dimensions to suit your needs. When I made mine I went 18x15 because that was small enough to fit in my oven but big enough to straddle all 4 of my burners when using it as a griddle.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Owns

Where did you buy that from
I made like 10 of those so I ended up ordering through Alro. They can laser cut and deliver, plus they were slightly cheaper in that quantity. If I was only making one I would have just gotten it at Metal Supermarkets as I mentioned earlier.

Worst part was removing the mill scale. Each one would have taken hours with my glass bead, I eventually gave up and paid a local powder coater to shot peen it off with a steel media they had.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

I made a batch of those because I wanted one and figured while I was set up a few friends might want one at cost as well. I don't plan on doing another run because it's too time consuming to do unless I'm profiting, and I feel weird about that because I pretty obviously stole the idea from Baking Steel. They also weight over 36lbs which would probably make non-local sales prohibitively expensive due to shipping. That said if anyone has access to a Haas, I'm happy to send you the program.

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

MeKeV posted:

When getting a steel custom cut from a steel fabricators, rather than buying one of the consumer ones, would getting it cut so that it slots in to the indents/rungs of the oven be a terrible idea?
I'm thinking it would be nice and neat compared to sitting it on a rack shelf, but I've got concerns about scratching the surface of the oven, and also expansion issues?

Also, is there a standard consensus to cook the pizza with prosciutto/parma style ham on, rather than putting it on after the pizza is cooked?
You want air to be able to get around it because your oven heats from below, I also think it would be more difficult to get in and out. Other downsides are its not portable to use on grills and the like and may not fit future ovens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

Re Steel thickness, I think 3/8" is as thick as you want to go. I made a 1/2" grooved griddle style one thinking bigger has got to be better. After using it for a year I can definitively say it's too heavy and takes too long to preheat. I think 3/8" would perform just as well 95% of the time and will probably clock in under 30lbs, making it easier to take in and out of the oven or out to the grill.