Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Jeff Varasano is a dick that rips off his employees, and will steal pies during rushes to give to attractive women in order to hit on them.

That being said, his process is amazing, and I even have a poolish with his starter in it that I've been babying for months now.

I used it to make some sourdough pizzadough and a couple loaves of bread the other day, and it was simply amazing.

I've been using my cast iron heavily oiled for both thick and thin crust pies. I used to have a fancyass pizza stone, but I broke that motherfucker with a QUICKNESS. I got so angry I swore never to buy one, but I think I'll break down soon. I've been making http://smittenkitchen.com/2010/03/breakfast-pizza/ lately, and it is AMAZING.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

Does anyone have a good gluten free pizza dough recipe they can share? Yeah I know, it's basically an oxymoron but my girlfriend is gluten intolerant and I want to surprise her with a delicious pizza.

Store gluten free bases I've had in the past have been alright, but obviously very dense and crumbly. I'm not expecting to do a good deep pan (although that would be ideal) and my current thinking is a gluten free sour dough stretched out thin.

Every single gluten free dough option I've tried that wasn't absolutely terrible basically amounted to a thincrust. I had the best luck w/ simply replacing some/most of the regular flour with gluten free flour (which is RETARDEDLY expensive). Rice flour tasted really weird, but it had a good structure.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

My favorite Magherita around here is from a place called Pizzeria Delfina and all they do is put canned tomatoes and olive oil together for the sauce.

I take some fresh oregano and basil, and chop up a TON OF GARLIC, and drop it into a couple cups of GOOD olive oil, and let it sit on my counter for a couple of days.

Get some whole skinned tomatos, drain them, reduce liquid till syrupy, add more basil and some red pepper flakes, and blend like a motherfuck.

When you're ready to make your pizza, take a little of each in whatever combination/strength you want, mix it up, and drizzle over the crust.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

eh, I'll add some ground up vitamin c or lemon juice from now on.

Thanks! Didn't know I could be getting folks sick, even tho my family has been doing this for ages, sheesh.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

In case anyone is REALLY TRULY interested in Jeff Varasano's journey:

http://www.varasanos.com/PizzaRecipe.htm

My brother worked for him at his store for about 3 years so we get bitchin pizza at home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

So my brother runs the kitchen at the new Varasano's at the Atlanta airport. I got to travel and finally see the kitchen and got a tour and even got to make my own pizza!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

godzirraRAWR fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Dec 27, 2013