Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I had some leftover dough from making Peter Reinhart's pain a l'ancienne baguettes, so I decided to make a pizza with it. Pretty simple stuff, but the crust is amazing with this. Some tomato sauce (I don't remember what I put in it), mozzarella, and venison sausage. Here's the recipe for the dough.

100% bread flour (use King Arthur if you aren't already)
2% salt
.7% instant yeast (I used active dry yeast because it's all I have; don't worry about activating it if you use it...I didn't)
79% ice-cold water

It makes a very wet dough; mix it in a bowl or mixer. You can't knead it. I mixed for about 6 minutes or so. Throw it in the refrigerator overnight, covered. Just pull it out about 3 hours before you want to bake it; the recipe doesn't call for proofing or punching or anything. Wait till it doubles before you divide and bake it, though. 27 ounces of flour, according to Peter Reinhart, will get you about 6-8 pizzas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

lifts cats over head posted:

How do I make the crust on final product softer? I don't have my recipe handy but I remember I used a ratio of 3:1 of flour to liquid and let it rise for about two hours at room temperature, divided the dough and let it rise again for an hour or so. Baked it on a ~550 degree stone.

The end result was crispy and tasted fine, however I'd like to try a softer crust as well.

Any suggestions?
Is that ratio weight or volume? If it's weight, try a wetter crust. I made a nice soft pizza crust with 75% hydration (by weight) and a two-day cold ferment in the refrigerator; I kneaded it very little, just enough to mix it together properly and work the gluten a little bit. It's too wet to properly knead it, anyway, unless you have a stand mixer. Just cover, place in the fridge, and remove when you want to make the pizza. That's when you can divide the dough and freeze the rest (or whatever you do with it).

I'm not sure if the cold ferment had anything to do with the softness of the crust. Added a lot of tastiness, though. Still, try making a wetter dough.