Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

Casu Marzu posted:

At the risk of turning this thread into Nosmo Chat, my NEW OVEN COMES TOMORROW MORNING AND WILL BE INSTALLED BY THE TIME I GET HOME!!

I've been without an oven since APRIL!

I'm making a SHITLOAD of pizzas over the weekend!

That grilled flatbread stuff with toppings that I do on the grill just ain't the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

mindphlux posted:

just for the sake of posting, I've tried a number of pizza doughs, and my favorite is Batali's. I usually just buy premade, but if I'm making my own, his is spot on fwiw.

code:
Mario Batali’s Pizza Dough
Published: August 16, 2007

¼ cup white wine

¾ cup warm water

1 ½ ounces yeast

1 tablespoon honey

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil

3 cups all-purpose flour

Method:

Combine wine, water and yeast in a large bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the honey, salt and olive oil and mix thoroughly. 
Start by adding 1 cup of flour and make a wet paste. Add remaining flour and incorporate.

Place dough on a lightly floured board and knead for 2 to 3 minutes.

Place dough in a lightly oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Let rise for 45 minutes.
the wine should be lukewarm though

I make my dough with the same 3:1 ratio flour to water, but I like the higher gluten bread flours. I've used honey and sugar and didn't notice much difference, but I WILL try the white wine thing. That sounds like a great idea.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

wormil posted:

Anyone used granite or quartz countertop pieces for pizza stones? I googled it a bit and found something about Jamie Oliver recommending granite. Would be heavy though.

My quartz countertops cost more than the car I currently drive.

I'm not putting any of that stuff in the drat oven.

The new oven works just fine, but God drat, are in-wall gas ovens teeny. I can *just* get a cookie sheet in there.

I set a layer of thin firebricks on the bottom of the oven floor (no, I didn't cover any vent holes) and on the top rack.

Pretend brick oven effect.

Works pretty drat good.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

indoflaven posted:

It's personal preference. I like a thin, cooked sauce. If I could get better mozz I might prefer fresh chunky.

Also Stromboli is awesome. I make it once every month or so. Great for parties.

If you're cool like me, you braid it.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

It's not really pizza, but this seems like a good place to ask.

Anyone have good recipes for cracker crust/non-yeast leavened very thin crusts.

I remember that Thomas Keller cracker flatbread/crust from ad hoc but I'm wondering if there are other options or takes on this subject.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Walk Away posted:

So celebrity chefs are vaginas?

Was there ever really a doubt?

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

Anyone build a wood fired oven in their yard??

I'm tempted every year, but always balk at the price tag.

I really, really want one, but not for $3-4000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

kirtar posted:

Oil in the pan. The goal is basically to fry the bottom of the crust.

It's the trick for deep dish or "Detroit" style pizzas.

Gives that crispy browned ring around the upper edge of the crust.

I used to use plain veg oil when I was making pizzas at a college restaurant/bar that sold pizzas (among other stuff), but I've seen folks use pretend butter substitutes like Whirl as well.