Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

Admiral Goodenough posted:

Anyone know what to do with a cracked pizza stone? My dad has one that's nice and heavy, but it's broken in two right down the middle. Could you put the two pieces tightly together in the oven and just continue to use it?

I have no idea how he managed to break it :psyduck:

Should be fine. I have a crappy one I keep in my oven all the time that has been cracked for 2+ years and it works fine for breads like ciabatta. I also use 2 pieces of thick cordierite for pizza and have no issues with the area where they meet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

ThirstyBuck posted:

I have a wimpy pizza stone that is about 1/2 thick and maybe 12-14in diameter. Where can I get a thick bad rear end pizza stone? I've heard of getting them from stone/granite places but I called one locally and they quoted me over $100 bucks for a slab. What are you using and where do you recommend I look for a sweet (inexpensive) stone? I don't care if it's half a broken jagged counter top as long as it cooks my delicious pizzas. Thanks.

Cordierite kiln shelves are fairly popular amongst posters of a pizza forum I read. If you have a pottery supply place nearby I would see if they have them. Just make sure it will fit in your oven and provide room on the sides for airflow.

I bought a 20inch diamater/.75inch thick shelf for ~$40 a couple weeks ago to use in a modified Weber grill.

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

nmfree posted:

I assume Mario is calling for cake yeast (i.e. yeast that comes in the form of a wet cake) as opposed to dry yeast, because to get 1.5oz of dry yeast would require 6 packets, which seems like way too much to me.

...or maybe not, v:shobon:v

Gotta be fresh yeast, but it is still a ridiculous amount of instant if you do the conversion. Like 5.5tsp if I did the math right.

Celebrity chefs and yeast don't get along.

Nebula
Dec 30, 2004

Jedit posted:

Funny you should mention memory loss, because I found this.

It's true! It's true!

You can find what is in Fibrament by looking at the patent documents.

Fibrament Patent posted:

1. Type I low alkali portland cement--about 54%;

2. Mortar or mason sand--about 37%;

3. Nippon Electric Alkali Resistant Glass Fiber (ARGF) chopped strands 1/2" in length--about 2.2%;

4. Tap water--about 6.5%; and

5. Rheobuild 1,000 Super Plasticizer--about 0.34%.

The process for manufacturing the improved baking stones is as follows. First, the cement, mortar or sand, and water are mixed for one minute in a high speed disperser at approximately 1,100 rpm. Suitable dispersers include the DK51, DK101 and DK102 mixing systems sold by Shar Inc. of Ft. Wayne, Ind. Alternative systems are found in the VHS300 and VHS400 variable high speed dispersers sold by Schold Machine Company of Chicago, Ill. and St. Petersburg, Fla. After the cement, sand and water are mixed for one minute, the plasticizer is added and the mixture is blended for another thirty seconds. Then, the speed is reduced to about 600 rpms and the glass fibers are added to the batch. The fibers are mixed into the batch at the lower speed for approximately thirty seconds. Thus, the mixing process for 11/2".times.24".times.36" baking stone takes approximately two minutes.

I am not going to be rushing out to buy one, but I am happy with my kiln shelves.