Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I made cast iron pies last night using this recipe from Serious Eats:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/01/foolproof-pan-pizza-recipe.html

It turned out amazing but I want to figure out how to get my cheese to melt into a continuous sheet rather than melting in clumps.

Is it how fine I shred it? How I spread it over the dough? Is straight up mozzarella from the cheese aisle fine or do I need to go to the artisan cheese cooler in the deli and get something "aged"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I love how the whole thing just slides out of the pan. The crust is so dang good.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

I made cast iron pies last night using this recipe from Serious Eats:

Another question is what kind of yeast do I use for this recipe? I can't find the SAF stuff the recipe recommends but I've been using Fleischmanns ActiveDry because it's what I have. Unfortunately the dough never seems to get huge like the recipe warns. Even after 12-15 hours it only rose like 2x the size.

What am I doing wrong? Should the water be warmer?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think I figured it out. I was mis-measuring the water and not using enough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

did you use liquid ounces for the water

you might try using lukewarm water, around 90 degrees

I actually did both of those things this time and it's working out way better.

As I'm sure most folks know, 8 dry ounces and 8 fluid ounces are not the same goddamn thing.

E: yeah after letting it rise overnight, this dough got fuckin YUGE.

DR FRASIER KRANG fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 25, 2020

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

With water, 8 ounces dry or fluid are pretty much the same thing. Certainly not enough of a difference to make your yeast not activate.

Eh, I poured "a cup" of water into an OXO fluid ounces vessel and it was enough that adding it in made a world of a difference in the rising process.

The dough ended up way more sticky but it didn't necessarily cook up all that differently. Maybe it was a little less tough?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Can I get some sauce recipe recommendations?

I've just been pulsing diced tomatoes, garlic, Italian seasoning, red wine vinegar and honey in a vitamix then squeezing the excess water out with a french press.

It's fast and tastes ok but it's missing something. Sweetness maybe? I like that I don't have to cook it so that's the major plus.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You might be able to buy a couple from a local pizza place. The one near me is completely full of pre-built pie boxes because all they do is delivery now.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If I don't have crushed tomatoes is there any reason I can't use whole peeled tomatoes and crush them with a masher?

Does it matter?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Is it true that round baking steels are rare now and you can only get the rectangular ones anymore?

If so, why?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

bakingsteel seems to still sell them but they are OOS right now till may.

i think they might have discontinued the model i got, which is a round, 3/8" thick steel with a grease groove on one side for griddling

That's the one I have. Got it as a gift like six years ago and now I use it all the time.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

What is the trick to making a pizza with a thin crust but a thick edge? Do I just pinch a ridge around the whole thing and use more dough on the edge?

My wife is asking for a pizza with a crust (I like deep dish with cheese to the edge so the question is hard for me to consider).

It seems like it goes against most baking rules I've learned about making sure all of your layers are similar in size.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Drain the liquid next time with a fine mesh strainer. Or just cook the sauce for longer until it thickens up.

How long did you cook the sauce? What kind of tomatoes?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I made a tortilla pizza using that Kenji recipe because I had spare sauce and cheese and a single flour tortilla.

Took ten minutes, was delicious, would eat again and again.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was looking at Kenji's NY style dough and it requires a food processor which I do not have.

Any other recommended recipes/methods for NY style dough?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I was super stoked to use real Wisconsin Brick Cheese to make a deep dish pie but I do not like it one bit. Firstly, it's fairly pungent. Secondly, it leaves pools of grease where a mixture of mozz and jack doesn't. Thirdly, it gave me the worst diarrhea.

Anyway now I have like four pounds of this dang cheese.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

If you pay for shipping I will send you some cheese.

e: actually there's no way this works. It came to me in a cooler with ice bags.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

If you pay for shipping I will send you some cheese.

e: actually there's no way this works. It came to me in a cooler with ice bags.

Ok I have like three or four pounds of this brick cheese I need gone. I cannot eat it.

Anyone in the Seattle area can have it for $20 if you can come pick it up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Just call it an open-faced torta and eat it.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I made two cast iron deep dish pies tonight and it hit every loving spot on the map.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Tagichatn posted:

When I freeze my homemade pizza sauce, it always comes out watery after defrosting. Is there anything I can do about this or just make 4-5 pizzas before it goes bad in the fridge?

The thicker the sauce, the better the pie. Just pour the water off.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Made pizza for the first time in three years this weekend. Got my pizza steel and a 550 oven, but the edges of the crust didn’t brown like I wanted them to. I had the steel on the bottom rack, thinking I may move it to the top next time. Also considering switching to the broiler once the oven is up to temp.

My old oven was a convection oven and I would switch it to the roast setting which used the top element too, but this one doesn’t have that. Any ideas?

What's the safest way to move a 550F baking steel from the bottom rack to the top rack without major catastrophe? Are you just really strong?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

Yeah I've moved mine too by just moving the whole rack but it was because it got moved for baking cookies and I preheated the oven before looking at it's position. It felt dangerous and precarious would not recommend

My racks require you to tilt them up first and I feel like there isn't enough friction in the world to keep the steel from sliding straight back.

I'm gonna make another set of cast iron pies tomorrow. I got the pizza fever.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I do the serious eats fool proof deep dish dough in my cast iron all the time.

Let it rise overnight, split it in two and it'll make two pies. Crank your oven up to 550 and put it on the bottom rack for 10-12 mins. Finish it on the stovetop if the bottom needs to crisp up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

browsers castle posted:

I tried this for the first time last week and it was outstanding, very close to old-school Pizza Hut.

It's truly uncanny. It tastes just like I just read ten books.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Stefan Prodan posted:

wait like you can just take your steel out and put it on your cooktop and it won't damage it?

I use my steel on my coal bbq and, like BraveUlysses said, make some drat good smash burgers on it.

I've never used it inside on a stove top but I imagine you could. I have a gas range but I bet electric would work as long as it isn't the kind where you need a specific type of pan for it to heat up.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I honestly won't chance doing burgs inside on the steel.

Is there a burg thread?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ogopogo posted:

Thanks guys - Getting better at it, made another one last night!
I'm going off of my general summer neo-neapolitan style sourdough dough recipe -
100% 00 flour
64% H20
2.5% Salt
18% mature sourdough leavain
.8% Olive oil

This is a recipe that takes only 10 hours from start to finish, minus the feeding for your sourdough. I also have a 12 hour cold bulk/12 hour room temp balled proof recipe that we're going to try next once it cools down just a hair.

Anyways, after the bulk ferment I balled out a 550g dough ball into an oiled 12" cast iron and let that rise for ~6 hours. Then we dimpled it down and spread it out to fill the pan, with a liberal application of olive oil on the sides. Let the rest for maybe an hour to 90 minutes, then parbake @ 500F till just before getting color. Pulled the cast iron out of the oven and began to fill the edges with shredded mozz, then worked towards the middle to make everything even and cheesy. A couple simple stripes of NY sauce to top, and then we threw it into the wood fired oven that was around 750F. That extra heat baked up the cheese really nice, and makes for a fast cook. Finished with basil, parm, ricotta dollops, cracked black pepper.

The only thing that went wrong was that I hosed up in the dough mix by using an over mature sourdough feed. With the sourdough levain past its prime, my final dough never had a chance to fully proof to its full potential, which leads to a final bake that still rises fine, but lacks the completeness and structure of a properly made dough. This was frustrating for me because I haven't done this in almost a year, and as soon as I caught it I knew that my final dough balls wouldn't be like what I had on Friday. I've worked with my sourdough for most of my life, and there are still days that the wildness catches you off guard.
The crust itself was good, still very light and airy but again, with a better made dough the spring would be more. As with all things cooking pizza, we'll just have to try again...

Nice try but you forgot to hide the delivery boxes. No pizza at home can look this good.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

You proof in the pan?

Dammit now I need to try that. That's a good idea.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I did the same thing recently with the serious eats no-knead deep dish dough. I could never get it to fill two cast iron pans so I amped the recipe up by 50% and it got the job done.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

ogopogo posted:

The Last Action Gyro pan pizza...
Garlic oil/mozz/parm/gyro meat/feta/red onion base to fire, then finished with tzatziki, dill, parsley, feta, red onion, and a harissa hot sauce that some friends have created and are selling now.

I tried replicating this and succeeded as well as the third copy in the hit film Multiplicity might have:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Show me how you did the dough please.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

For the deep dish, how do you get the sidewalls like that? Is there a technique for how the dough and cheese go in that makes it seamless like that?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

Corn meal!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I'm going to try parbaking the crust before I add the sauce and cheese/toppings.

Should I brush on some olive oil or butter or anything first? Is a 4-5 minute bake @500F a good starting point?

I'm using a baking steel and a traditional dough.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've got some Neapolitan style dough cold fermenting in my fridge right now because the recipe calls for a 2-4 day cold ferment.

So what happens if I only give it a day and a half? Is it gonna turn out bad?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

Depends on if it fermented at all at room temp. Might not be as bubbly and flavor profile might not be the same but it’s probably still fine to use. Did it double in size?

Oh yeah I let it rise at room temp for longer than anticipated. Meant to do 12 hours but it wound up being more like 18. It definitely rose up 2x.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

The difference between high and low broil on my oven is like 1st gear versus 4th gear. You have to watch the high broil constantly or else your poo poo is burned.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I've been using Italbrand because they're cheapish and have the legit seal on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

slave to my cravings posted:

Yea I would just use it then if you want to make pizza tonight. It seems like whenever I do a cold ferment it can be odd to shape it right out of the fridge so see how it feels and maybe let it warm up a bit before shaping into the pie. If it’s stiff when you shape it and springs back give it a rest for 10-15 min and try again.

It ended up pretty good. This is my first cold ferment pizza dough I've done so I'm pleased.