Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I make a lot of pan pizza and that's one of the best I've seen. I've never really tried doing one with lots of sauce and cheese but no toppings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
That's a perfect pizza IMO, well done!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ogopogo posted:

The Y-Train, our ode to a NYC pizza on the sourdough.

You clearly know what you're doing, so no offense intended, but does these pizzas not taste burnt with all those small dark black bubbles? Just seems like a lot of charred surface area.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ogopogo posted:

As others have said, this is leopard spotting that is more typical of a Neapolitan style pizza crust. The micro blisters form as a result of extended fermentation, where more mini gas bubbles are allowed to grow.
It's flavor more of a "char" versus a "burn." These are made in a wood fire oven and so each pizza cooks uniquely against the others. Also, it's just on the crust! The whole slice has all the cheese and sauce goodness, by the time you hit the crust it's a nice changeup :)
Yeah this is a 66% hydration sourdough, 72hr balled out ferment. The leopard spots become much more prevalent at 48-72hrs, as I was saying above that this allows for more gluten structure to form and create micro gas bubbles that blister in the high heat oven.

I realize what leopard spots are, but just from this thread one can see there's a pretty big variety in bubble size, distribution and how dark they get. I have also had some pretty weird neopolitan pizzas where the dough is near white aside from the leopard spots (slightly larger than these) and was not a fan.

In this particular pie there are a lot of small bubbles that appear completely black, giving a pretty even cover of deep char. Do you consider that ideal, or is this in the more extreme range of what you shoot for?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Asparagus and parma ham, with fresh arugula on top after cooking, is a classic.

Works with both red and white pizza.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Asparagus tips go on just fine without any prep.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

StarkingBarfish posted:

^ She's got the technique. Sorbillo's pizza fritta is slapped to poo poo too, he just uses his fists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhjpEMTmHr0&t=584s

Jesus, I'd be worried about that popping and starting an oil fire, or at least sending hot oil flying everywhere.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 13, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ogopogo posted:

Some fire looking pizzas on this page, great work everyone!

Our NY style cheese pizza was on point today

That looks perfect.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Happiness Commando posted:

Flowers from a zucchini plant. A traditional preparation is to fill them with ricotta and fry them in a light batter. They can also go in salads or on pizza, apparently.

Or batter and deep fry them like tempura. Was a very popular side in and around Lucca when I went there.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Found a local reseller for Effueno ovens, but it's a 100% markup :argh:

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Consumers generally cannot get a hold of unpasteurized milk. If you're lucky you might find unhomogenized milk, but generally you will be using rather unsuited milk and having to add a bunch of calcium chloride and various cultures to even get a passable result. It doesn't seem worth it to me.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
People with small vans and Pizza Party ovens are showing up even here in Norway now; generally producing better pizzas than the established restaurants.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I fry button mushrooms in butter, often with a sprig of thyme and a clove of garlic, then glaze them with balsamic vinegar and add black pepper. I transfer them to a small bowl and let them sit in their juices until it's time to put them on the pizza. They get sort of marinated.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 15, 2021

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Do you mean the semi-dehydrated stuff they use for New York style pizza? Because I am pretty sure most other mozzarella is just the standard type.

Never seen the stuff here, closest I can get is the preshredded German fake mozzarella.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I have a craving for pizza with artichoke hearts. What else should I put on it? Anything I need to do with the hearts first so they don’t make things soggy?

I like them best with a nice friendly and sweet boiled ham sliced super thin. The Italians call it "cotto". Proscuitto or Serrano work too, but they can overpower the artichoke a bit.

Green olives don't harm anything, but the combo is best on its own.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Looks amazing.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Anyone tested the new Effueno 509s yet?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Those are some big flat balls. Looks great!

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

HolHorsejob posted:

Anyone have an especially good white sauce? I'm making duck confit and I was thinking of setting aside some for a pizza. I do a thin-crust kinda deal, and was thinking something like a creamy garlic white sauce, mozzarella, a few duck morsels, some kind of fresh herb, and a light brushing of olive oil cut with duck fat.

I don't know about especially good, but a pretty standard approach is to lightly fry garlic in olive oil, add some white wine and simmer until the alcohol has boiled off, then stir inn crème fraiche and season with salt, pepper and herbs of your choice.

I like using ricotta and buffalo mozzarella on white pizza.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ogopogo posted:

Running in to drop this real fast, more details on the process tomorrow!

It's like you have come full circle. It's back to grandma pies.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
All of those combinations sound like abominations to me, but your pizzas look great.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

did a sfincione over the weekend with caciocavallo, an aged cheese my younger sibling got from eataly; the middle layer is a sauce with onions and anchovies melted in and the top is breadcrumbs

weekend before was an indian pizza with tandoori chicken, this time for the curry sauce i put in greek yogurt instead of cream and got a much redder and spicier sauce

I like it, but we're crossing over into lasagna territory here.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

ogopogo posted:

My wife brought back one of her creations from last year, the Oyster Mushrooms Rockefeller!

Oyster mushrooms, shallots, garlic, spinach, fontina, mozz, finished with lemon zest, micro arugula, sourdough breadcrumbs.

That's the one I want. That and a plain Margherita one.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

So just slice it all up and bake it for a bit on a tray? Or do you typically do it in oil on a stovetop?

For mushrooms i halve or quarter them depending on size, then fry in plenty of butter and a pinch of salt, as you want to draw out the moisture in this particular case. Add some black pepper and a splash of balsamic vinegar towards the end, then move them to a small bowl to marinate in their own juices. If you're also using onion you cook and let them hang out together.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
I regularly make pizzas with satay chicken, pineapple and fresh cilantro. Pretty sure goons with spoons turned me on to the idea back in like 2004.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

bolind posted:

Ooni is being a big tease about a launch of something in early March. Anyone care to speculate?

An electric offering to compete with the likes of Effueno, or a Koda V2 that comes standard with biscotto.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Jhet posted:

I routinely double the garlic portion of western/European recipes. There’s usually not enough garlic.

Depends on what you are making; in most recipes for Italian cuisine written and published by non-italians there is far too much garlic. Italian chefs will do stuff like cut out the heart of dried garlic before using half a clove, or fry and discard the garlic.

thotsky fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's not true for all spelt, but most spelt flour has a higher protein content than all-purpose flour. If you're already using a high protein wheat flour it is not immediately obvious to me what the benefit would be.