Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Cross-posting from the cooked last night thread. 14" pan pizza, messing around with my 50mm lens.

Crumb shot:

Bottom:

Could have used more grease on the bottom to really give that finger-lickin' goodness, but it was drat tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Cross-posting from the dinner thread. The baking steal + broiler seems to be working pretty well for me and I have stopped using the low moisture cover-your-whole-pizza-with-shredded-cheese in favor of the lighter fresh mozzarella in pockets.

So drat good.

Sopressata

Shaved Brussels sprouts and pancetta

Prosciutto, cherry tomatoes, arugula

Fresh burrata

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Doom Rooster posted:

Looking great man. Really impressive results. Those crispy edges on the soppresata... So good. Don't be a tease though. Show us those bottoms. :quagmire:

Crap, didn't think to take a picture of the bottoms :/

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Salvor_Hardin posted:

For future reference, is there some trick to transferring the pizza onto the hot stone? It's so soft and sticky I have no idea.

I would use either flour or cornmeal on your peel or whatever you're using to transfer the pizza to the oven. If you're using flour, be a little mindful of how much because it can burn and taste pretty bitter. Cornmeal doesn't burn as easily.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Crossposting from the last night's meal thread, made pan pizza with Kenji's dough recipe. So drat good.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Gwaihir posted:

Detroit style

Man, that second Detroit one looks good. I really want to buy a Detroit style pan, think they're about $35 on Amazon. Maybe that'll be my tax refund gift to myself (ha no I owed taxes).

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Cross-post from the what did you make last night thread. Kenji's Detroit-style pizza. So drat good.

In the pan

Out of the pan

A big-rear end slice

Crust shot

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Crosspost from the dinner thread. Forkish's 24-48h dough, Neapolitan technique (550 oven, broiler, steel, cook 4 minutes with just dough/sauce, finish under broiler after dressing with rest of ingredients.)

Classic Margeritha

Prosciutto

Prosciutto with garlic

Burrata with arugula

Margeritha with extra cheese

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

BraveUlysses posted:

gave up on centos after the last few cans required me to search through all the tomatoes and remove parts with spoiled spots, unpeeled sections and hard, unripened ends. loving trash.

Same here, and they seem to be much harder than other canned tomatoes so they don't break down as easily when making sauce (or tomato soup, or whatever).

I like DiNapoli, and Pomi is pretty good too although I think they only do crushed or strained tomatoes.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

StarkingBarfish posted:

E: I've just reread the packaging... store in the fridge once opened and use within 4 months of opening... I had it stored in a dark cupboard and it has been open at least 10mo at this stage so chalk it up to RTFM :eng99:

If you store in the fridge, instant yeast often lasts way longer than 4 months in my experience. Currently using SAF red I bought in April 2020 and I've not noticed any difference in its effectiveness. But yeah, in a cupboard, it's not going to last you that long once you break the vacuum seal.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

HolHorsejob posted:

oh god, those machines might as well be purpose-made to send you to the ER for stitches.

Invest like $5 in some protective gloves and you have way better control of your ingredients than using the stupid little "holder" thingy that comes with most cheaper mandolins.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

Chemmy posted:

I just don’t cut the end of things on the mandoline. I’ll throw away an inch of potato or whatever, it’s easy.

I've slipped and sliced parts of my thumb too many times on super sharp cheese graters that I just wear one every time now. Mandolin, depends on what I'm slicing tbh.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

ogopogo posted:

Gonna photo dump a few things we've been showcasing as part of our future menu when we move into our brick and mortar.

Why am I seriously considering moving to Vegas and abandoning any semblance of a healthy diet?

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

NLJP posted:

Shame the actual pizza usually sucks

You take that back. When I go back to Sweden, I have to get pizza at least a couple of times because it's so much better than anything I can get around here.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
So awesome! Hoping to make it out to Vegas this fall around my birthday and Yukon is top of the list of places to eat for sure.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

slave to my cravings posted:

Need a good focaccia recipe. Anyone have any suggestions?

I really like Samin Nosrat's one from Salt Fat Acid Heat - it's brined, which really helps each bite get that salty flavor.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Finally heading to Vegas for a little getaway a few days after Christmas this year - definitely stopping by Yukon, ogopogo. Hope to run into you (and looking forward to that delicious pizza).

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

ogopogo posted:

Oh hell yeah! I’m usually there every day we’re open so I should be around!

Stopped by today and enjoyed awesome pizza for lunch, t-shirts, and a bottle of that natural wine to go because the glass I had was delicious.

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein

ogopogo posted:

Oh nice, thank you and glad you enjoyed! I picked up a fun little cold over Christmas so I haven’t been back in the shop yet, I miss making pies. What wine did you go for?

Hope you feel better soon!

Had a glass of the natural and then the white, which is what I picked a bottle of (Les Lunes macerated Chardonnay). Both were great!

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
This crust was probably the best I've ever made - baking steel in my crappy apartment oven. I really need a pizza oven but have no outdoor space for it.

80% hydration with Caputo flour, a little bit of KA's diastic malt powder and about 2.5% salt. Buffalo mozzarella, good olive oil, basil. Delicious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blixa
Jan 9, 2006

Kein bestandteil sein
Congrats, ogopogo! Now I'm extra upset you were out sick when I visited or I could have boasted to have met a bona fide world champion pizza.