Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Peter Reinhart's sauce recipe is great and doesn't require any pre cooking. After all the tomatoes are cooked during canning and again on your pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
About a month ago I helped a neighbour build a cob oven and have since been building planters and tables and things around it and curing it with small fires. We tried it out for the first time the other night. I was really happy with the results and I think we'll be getting great pizza from it regularly with a little fine tuning of my fire building and tending technique and the acquisition of some proper tools (I was using a baking sheet for a peel and tongs to move the pies around)

The first pizza (pictured above) was done in 90 seconds, I probably had the fire too hot and put the pizza a little too close, the next ones were more evenly cooked and less brown on the edge.

large hands fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jul 25, 2012

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Zhent posted:

How long did it take you to build that fire up and let the oven heat?

Pretty sure it was a little over an hour.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Shooting Blanks posted:

How do you clear the ash out of a stove like that? Wait til the next day and use a small shovel? Leafblower?

I used a little broom and dustpan to get the big chunks and a shop-vac to get the finest stuff. During cooking I moved the coals around and scraped the cooking area clean with a flat shovel.

e: image for the new page, shows the actual oven a little better:

large hands fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jul 25, 2012

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

godzirraRAWR posted:

eh, I'll add some ground up vitamin c or lemon juice from now on.

Thanks! Didn't know I could be getting folks sick, even tho my family has been doing this for ages, sheesh.

not so much "get sick" as "die a horrible lingering death"

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Comb Your Beard posted:

Trying to get into the home pizza from scratch game.

I have now:
A scale for weighing flour and such
Stand mixer and food processor, but no food mill
What I think is a decent oven
Some bread flour and instant yeast
Can Cento whole tomatoes and enough seasonings and such for sauce

Need to get some quality cheese.

I was comparing these 2 products on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Pizzacraft-Square-Baking-Kitchen-Barbeque/dp/B00NMLKW6Q/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1453126107&sr=8-3&keywords=baking+steel
http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P14P3-Pizza-14-inch/dp/B0000E2V3X/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1453126107&sr=8-7&keywords=baking+steel

The cast iron pizza pan looked appealing but I hear baking steel is usually the way to go. Pretty much same price point.

That steel is only a tenth of an inch thick, not sure if that's thick enough for pizza purposes

e: and the cast iron pan says it's only oven safe to 400 degrees Fahrenheit... not really sure what they mean by that though

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
made a couple of kenjis no knead pan pizzas. pepperoni and garlic, cherry tomato, basil and garlic

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Made Kenji's foolproof pan pizzas for the hundredth time. The best when you're craving that thick slice with the crispy fried bottom.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Weigh ingredients, cover the dough tightly and make sure the dough doesn't dry out while fermenting. if it's not stretching, let it rest and try again. Use dry mozzarella.

If you're eating tomorrow, make the dough tonight.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Testing out the new oven with some overnight no-knead dough. Tempted to cut the lock off and try cooking in the self cleaning cycle..

Cherry tomato:

Hit cappocolo:

Fried mushroom, garlic and tarragon with mozz, no sauce:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

clockworx posted:

Those are some nice looking pies! Are you doing a couple of days of cold proofing in the fridge? I love the no knead dough but found it didn't stretch well without cold proofing.

I didn't and it didn't really stretch well, they wound up thicker than I'd have liked, except for the last one I did, which seemed to benefit from the extra rest in the hot kitchen. Will definitely cold proof next time.

Ola posted:

This is probably amazing in chanterelle season.

Excellent idea :mrgw:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
My first try with our new Ooni Koda, pretty happy with it. Need a wetter dough next time (this was kenji's home oven dough recipe) and an infrared thermometer (managed to light one pie on fire) but I think it's gonna work well:

large hands fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Apr 22, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Pepperoni in the Koda today. Tried oonis dough recipe, it was ok but harder to work than a longer ferment dough:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

BraveUlysses posted:

nice lookin pizzas! the price on that koda is pretty tempting, might have to think about getting one eventually

I can't recommend it highly enough, it's small, light, attractive and instantly transformed my homemade pizzas into real pizza. Sips propane and heats up quickly.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

ShaneB posted:

The wood pellet one is way too fussy and a pain imo. I want this gas one tho. How well does it do for New York style where I don't really want 900F?

the heat is adjustable, though you'll want an IR thermometer and it'll take a little practice to get the right level. i've been preheating on full then turning the flame down for slightly longer cooking but less chance of lighting pizzas on fire. I'm definitely going to grab a little turning peel, too.

e: c'mon just look how cute this thing is

large hands fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 24, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Used jeff varasanos dough recipe with my quarantine starter tonight. Our all purpose flour in Canada is made from winter wheat and is higher in gluten, the Rogers all purpose unbleached I have is 13.5% I believe

Margherita with garlic:

Salami with too much olive oil lol:

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

This struck me as very funny, but I’ve been up for thirty hours, so I’m not sure if what I’m feeling is real.

I'm still laughing about it myself

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I wish having slices for sale at the bar was a thing here. Never tried that style outside of the serious eats tortilla pizza hack

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I can't speak for the 16" oven but the I've used the 12" Koda probably 6 times now for dinners where it was on for at least forty minutes and the small tank I'm using isnt much noticeably lighter. It takes about twenty minutes to heat up.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
particularly tasty one tonight; black forest ham, spring onion and lots of garlic

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
couple of pepperonis tonight:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Veritek83 posted:

I'm debating between the Ooni Koda 16 and the Roccbox. While I like the additional size of the Ooni, the wood & propane fuel options on the Roccbox seem more convenient/versatile. Anybody have strong arguments/anecdotes one way or another?

Here's Kenji's side by side comparison:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDK762aVaMI

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
I got a Koda because it's a bit more compact and portable, looks better (imo) and wood seems like a pain in the rear end for no apparent flavour difference. I can't imagine too many folks here have owned both but I'd take kenji's word that they're both great and decide if wood is important to you or not.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
The roccbox opening is 3.3" high, the Koda 16 is 4.5". These things have low tops to keep the heat flowing over the top of a pizza. I got a sizzle pan for mine and I've used it to sear kebabs and things, but you're not getting any bread in there that isn't pretty flat.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Read some article about how it's scientifically impossible to get good pizza from a home oven, using steel or a stone, and that steel at 700 degrees doesn't work near as good as a brick oven....People need to chill the hell out about pizza, and I say this as a huge fan of pizza.

You can get great pizza from a home oven, just cut off the safety lock and cook on the cleaning cycle. (Just kidding don't do this) use whatever you have and enjoy the results, it's all pizza

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
fresh spinach, garlic, dry mozz, feta, tomato sauce

E: good cups tonight

large hands fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 27, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Posted this a couple days ago when someone asked in the dinner thread:

large hands posted:

if you're going to make pizza at high heat, read Jeff Varasanos crazy pizza geocities style website. Ive read it a bunch but now i'm tired of hunting through the wall of text so here are the relevant parts:

Autolyse

Pour all the ingredients into the mixer, except just use 75% of the flour for now. So all of the water, salt, poolish (Video of Poolish), Instant dry Yeast (if used) and 75% of the flour are put into the mixer. Everything should be room temperature or a bit cooler.

Mix on lowest speed for 1-2 minutes or until completely blended. At this stage you should have a mix that is drier than a batter, but wetter than a dough. Closer to batter probably.

Cover and Let it rest for 20 minutes.

Wet Kneading

Start Mixing on Low speed for 8 minutes. 5 minutes into it start adding flour gradually.

After the first 6-8 minutes increase the speed of the mixer slightly.

Let it rest for 15-20 minutes. If you were to do a window pane test before the rest, you might be disappointed. Afterwards it will test well:

Pour out onto a floured surface and portion into balls with a scraper.

put the balls into very lightly oiled containers and rest in the fridge for 1-5 days

e: i use 200g balls for my 12" pies, which is a bit on the thinner side than the NY style that Jeff's weights would give you

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

3.5% salt? What are you all using for sauce? We sampled 3% once and it was a disaster. Everybody seems to be into it though so I wonder if my other ingredients are too salty. In particular, my cheese is 2:1:1 mozzarella:provolone:parmesan.

I don't find it to be too salty, but that's purely a personal preference so no reason you can't cut that in half. I usually just put a stick blender into a can of tomatoes with a sprinkle of basil and oregano and use that. My wife has been finding that a bit acidic/bright so last night we used kenji's cooked NY sauce and it was great (basically it's a copy of Marcella Hazan's famous marinara)

I use either cows milk bocconconi or Kirkland shredded mozz with a sprinkle of either grated parm or sea salt.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

if you want your mushrooms to be nice and brown i would recommend cooking them like on the stove most of the way before topping them on the pizza, they hold a lot of water on their own and it never seems to cook out in the oven alone.

i always fry them first and it works great. one of my favourite pizzas is just white pizza with fried mushrooms, garlic and tarragon

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Tried a same day crust using the Ooni recipe and was very happy with the results. No tearing, very easy to work. Not as much flavor as a cold ferment but drat good for deciding we wanted pizza at 2pm and eating at 8

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

MrYenko posted:

I broke down and ordered an Ooni Fyra, but they’re in backorder, so I’m waiting. Impatiently.

I'm already eyeballing Kodi 16's lol

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
black forest ham and spring onions, dry mozz and bocconcini

tried upping the hydration from 60 to 62.5% (using 00 flour, same-day dough) but it just seemed to make the dough harder to evenly stretch and more prone to tearing. Guess I'll stick with the basic Ooni recipe for same-day pies in the future

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I feel like the effect of hydration isn't linear, but I can't imagine really telling the difference between 60 and 62.5 percent if I was trying it blind unless I was a commercial outfit.

it could have been some other factors but i swear going from 600 to 625g of water for a kilo of flour made the dough seem way wetter in the mixer and looser after proofing than the batch i made a few days ago. but yeah, i can't eliminate temperature differences etc as variables. could be i let this one over-rise a bit

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
From his website it doesn't seem like he's suggesting anything too crazy:

quote:

If you use Caputo or any 00 flour, you may find that it takes a lot more flour for the given amount of water. Probably a baker's % of 60% or so. One reason I like to feel the dough rather than strictly measure the percent hydration is that with feel you don't have to worry about the type of flour so much. A Caputo and a Bread will feel the same when they are done, even though one might have 60% water and the other 65%. It's the feel that I shoot for, not the number.  I vary wetness based on my heat - higher the oven temp, the wetter I want the dough.

His recipe calls for 65% with all purpose flour but he's pretty big on relying more on look and feel of the dough to get a good result

I mostly solved sticking problems by only forming the dough on my hands, then straight onto the peel with lots of cornmeal on it, then thirty seconds at most to dress it, then a quick shake to make sure it's moving on the peel and into the oven.

large hands fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 12, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Looks as good as I was ever able to make a pizza in the oven.

Last time we made donairs I made an extra batch of meat. Tomorrow is gonna be donair pizza day. Trying to think of the best way to do it, not sure if I should just cook the dough with the meat on it then throw tomatoes, lettuce, garlic sauce on top or if I should use cheese or what.

large hands fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jul 19, 2020

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Finally picked up an IR thermometer which was key for using the Ooni properly I think. Took some Neapolitan dough out of the freezer for dinner

Kids cheese:

Hot Genoa salami and basil:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Im using my Epicurean peel(some kind of composite/wood fiber) that I ran through a table saw to fit into the little 12. It's ok but I think a thin metal peel would work better. Getting under the back edge for the first turn is sometimes tricky with the thicker peel im using.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Kenji's NY works great, just don't cook it as hot as a Neapolitan.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
Cherry tomato season:

large hands
Jan 24, 2006

PokeJoe posted:

Pepperoni and potato on whole wheat crust

That reminds me I need to recreate the perogie pizza a local place used to do. I think it was mashed potatoes, cheese, sour cream, onion, bacon. Could be called a baked potato pizza too I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
pretty sure parchment would catch fire in an ooni. not sure why that peel would be hard to launch from, maybe the holes in it? like someone else said, try using a solid peel for launching and that one for turning and pulling