Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

New York City has some of the best food in the world and there's a lot of goons that live and eat there everyday, live in the area and commute over for a nice day followed up with some nice food, and those that visit for the first time ever and want to experience what it's all about.

Since the clean up of GWS this is no longer going to be a real chat thread I'd like to keep it more structured. I'll provide example formats of how reviews and requests will go. Hopefully this works out and we can have a large repository of reviews for anyone to page through. If you have suggestions on fields to add to the review or suggestion requests let me know.

Example Review
Name: Le Halles
Price Range:$20-30 a plate
Location:411 Park Avenue South (at 29th Street) (I'm not from the City so I don't know what name you guys have for this area but either way I think providing the exact address will be really helpful.)
Dish you reccomend: Duck Confit, and order of Pommes Frites
Comments:I really enjoy Les Halles if I'm in the area and in the mood for a solid meal. I would not travel for Les Halles.

Example Suggestion Request
Dinner style:Dinner for 2
Willing to spend:Under $100 with drinks
Restictions: French food only

Something simple like that I think will work well. Here's the template for those lazy lazy goons that can't be bothered to bold anything.

code:

[b]Review[/b]
[b]Name:[/b] 
[b]Price Range:[/b]
[b]Location:[/b]
[b]Dish you reccomend:[/b] 
[b]Comments:[/b]

[b]Suggestion Request[/b]
[b]Dinner style:[/b]
[b] Location:[/b] 
[b]Willing to spend:[/b]
[b]Restictions:[/b]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

I'd also note that the GWS Wiki's City Guide currently has no entry for New York. It would be pretty cool if a significant amount of information posted here found its way into making one.

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005
Note about Les Halles - wine is 50% off on Mondays, and that includes the Mondays of three-day weekends, so if you're in NYC on Labor Day or something it can be an economical choice.

Slig
Mar 30, 2010
I'm not a regular on GWS, but I am a New Yorker that likes to eat. Here are some cheap places that me and my friends usually go to.

Review
Name: Cafetasia
Price Range: $7-13
Location: 38 East 8th Street (Between Broadway and University Place)
Dish you recommend: Minced Chicken with Thai Basil
Comments:Good, cheap Thai food, large portions, plenty of vegetarian options. It gets louder in here as the night goes on. Don't come here after 7 if you want to have dinner conversation. Fast turnover, very short wait times even at peak hours.

Review
Name: Kenka
Price Range: $5-20
Dish you recommend: Tonkatsu with some croquettes
Comments: One of about a dozen Asian restaurants on the block, but one of if not the best. Large selection of Japanese food and drink. Get there before 6pm and put your name on the list. This place fills up quickly. Genuine Izakaya bar experience.
Menu: http://www.allmenus.com/ny/new-york/275953-kenka/menu/

Review
Name: Patsy's Pizza
Price Range: $8-17
Dish you recommend: Pizza or split a family sized Penne alla Vodka with the table.
Comments: Pizza is the main attraction but they also have pasta, soup, and salad.
Menu: http://www.patsyspizzeriany.com/menu.php

Review
Name: Apple
Price Range: $10-20
Location: 17 Waverly Place (Between Greene and Mercer Street)
Dish you recommend: Vietnamese Lunch Box, Chicken Chili Basil
Comments: Vietnamese restaurant and bar with a karaoke room in the back.

Review
Name: Ghandi Cafe
Price Range: $10-15
Location: 283 Bleecker Street (between 7th Avenue and Jones Street)
Dish you recommend: Chana Poori and Chicken Tikka Masala with Naan
Comments: Good, cheap Indian food. Very small restaurant, not great for larger groups but they will try to accommodate you. One of the waiters is really awkward. Complimentary rice pudding and tea after the meal.
Menu: http://menupages.com/restaurants/ghandi-cafe/menu

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
I have a large, young, pretty poor group of friends in Astoria who like going out to new restaurants...

Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Group (6-10)
Willing to spend: ~$25/head or less
Restictions: None, really. Weirder is better.

infiniteguest
May 14, 2009

oh god oh god
Review
Name: Isa
Price Range: $50
Dish you reccomend: Lamb tartare
Comments: BYOB Italian in a gorgeous, country-cottage style dining room. You get three courses for fifty dollars as well as three communal antipasti platters before you get your starter. The food here is incredible - as good as most of the 2 Michelin star restaurants in the city. (The lamb tartare I would have not batted an eye at if served to me at Corton.)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
So Sifton posted his final Review, which was for Per Se, which he called the best restaurant in New York.

http://tinyurl.com/5u6sxvb

I've only eaten there once, and haven't eaten everywhere in NYC, but I'm inclined to agree with the review. The food was on a level I have seen elsewhere, but the service takes the entire experience to a new level. Hell, even when they were hustling us out, they did it by taking us on a tour of the kitchen and wine cellar. It was only when I walked out of the Time Warner center did I realize what they had done, and I couldn't complain in the slightest.

I think that's something missing in a lot of places, the level of service that makes going out a different experience from just eating. I guess places have started sacrificing service in lieu of raising menu prices, but it is still a trend I'm not a fan of.

One other note: I've begun cooking from the French Laundry Cookbook, and it made me even more impressed by my meal at Per Se. Each dish is so goddamn labour-intensive that the persistant level of quality shown throughout the meal becomes unreal.

fake edit: Let's keep this thread alive!

ohnoyoudidnt
Mar 19, 2005

I was told there would be pie
It's far from fancy, but if you are in Chinatown and you're overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices you have and want to make sure you don't end up in a rip-off tourist trap, go to Lin's Garden at 69 Bayard Street. When I lived there (admittedly a few years ago) it was always my choice for reliable, tasty, cheap food. And they give you LOADS. Just in case you travel ghetto like I do :)

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

ohnoyoudidnt posted:

It's far from fancy, but if you are in Chinatown and you're overwhelmed by the sheer number of choices you have and want to make sure you don't end up in a rip-off tourist trap, go to Lin's Garden at 69 Bayard Street. When I lived there (admittedly a few years ago) it was always my choice for reliable, tasty, cheap food. And they give you LOADS. Just in case you travel ghetto like I do :)

Yes 69 Bayard is awesome. They are also open 24 hours and usually have no problem serving you Tsingtao's at 6 am. They also sell T-shirts, for whatever reason.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Suggestion Request
Dinner style:quick lunch for 4
Willing to spend: 35 a head
Restictions:none

KidDynamite fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 24, 2011

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
I found a neat little free app in the iphone store called "Chefs Feed" where you can browse the favorite dishes of NYC, Chicago, San Fran, and LA chefs. It also has a live feed that compiles their twitter postings.

ohnoyoudidnt
Mar 19, 2005

I was told there would be pie

tycho_atreides posted:

Yes 69 Bayard is awesome. They are also open 24 hours and usually have no problem serving you Tsingtao's at 6 am. They also sell T-shirts, for whatever reason.

T-shirts? Wow, business must have really picked up since the last time I was in New York!

They have been around for ages. The reason I first went there was because my mother remembered the address...from the 1970s. Do they still have dollars all over the walls?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

ohnoyoudidnt posted:

And I want to solicit for prosperity dumpling on Allen near Hester. I worked an event where one of the models showed up with a box and we went all food-geeky on how good and cheap ($1/5 fried pork dumplings) they are, which was as close as I'll ever get to sleeping with her.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Guys please remember to try to keep everything clean and within the parameters. bartolimu doesn't want this to be a chat thread and I don't want to see this closed.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

Guys please remember to try to keep everything clean and within the parameters. bartolimu doesn't want this to be a chat thread and I don't want to see this closed.

Dunno, the whole reason why I visited / contributed to the previous thread was because it was a nice mix of reviews and banter. Why write about food when you can't talk about it? That's most of the fun.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Suggestion Request
Dinner style: For a group of ten
Willing to spend: 40~
Restictions: Preferably decent decor and also preferably any type of East/South Asian food

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

saahil92 posted:

Suggestion Request
Restictions: Preferably decent decor and also preferably any type of East/South Asian food

Szechuan Gourmet is pretty good for larger groups. Not the fanciest place, but drat fine food.

Jorge Bell
Aug 2, 2006
I really hated in the last thread when chefs would invite readers to come in and have a glass of wine or whatever on the house, or talk about their menus or rooftop herb gardens. Glad to know that kind of bullshit won't be tolerated anymore in the new hypersleek GWS NYC Dining thread!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

saahil92 posted:

Suggestion Request

Allow me to start with the disclaimer: groups of 10 are sometimes difficult to accommodate, and may incur an automatic gratuity, depending on the restaurant, which may change your price bracket. You definitely want to have clear, confirmed reservations, and maybe pick a less usual hour than say, 7-9p. Eating on the early or late side will ensure that you get more prompt service and that all your food comes out at a reasonable rate, since timing 20+ dishes (assuming app, main, and either sides or little soups) can be dissatisfying for both the staff and the patrons.

That said, go to Laut on 17th between 5th ave and Union Sq West. Mid-priced, one-star Southeast-style dining, beautiful decor. Friday at 8 for 10 isn't happening, but off-times would probably work. You may spend closer to 50 if you're a drinking crowd, but it's totally worth it. The curries are nuts and crazy fresh.

freebiscuit

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Massive posted:

Dunno, the whole reason why I visited / contributed to the previous thread was because it was a nice mix of reviews and banter. Why write about food when you can't talk about it? That's most of the fun.

Don't shoot the messenger dude.

Also please help.

KidDynamite posted:

Suggestion Request
Dinner style:quick lunch for 4
Willing to spend: 35 a head
Restictions:none

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Up near the Beacon? I think Salumeri Rossi is up there, but I don't think I've been north of 70th st in years.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Suggestion Request
Dinner style: nice nice nice
Willing to spend: anything
Restrictions: vegetarian-friendly and/or could make substitutions (i of course would call in advance to tell them so)

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

district 12 posted:

Suggestion Request
Restrictions: vegetarian-friendly and/or could make substitutions (i of course would call in advance to tell them so)

Per Se has a vegetarian tasting menu that is out of this world.

Dino. probably knows of a few places as well.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
Per Se looks so good but I guess I didn't realize when I said I could spend anything I'd be looking at $295pp :( that's a bit too much. So maybe $200 total, 2 people

Two Worlds
Feb 3, 2009
An IMPOSTORE!
Kajitsu, Daniel.

tycho_atreides
Oct 25, 2006

Here be dargonz

district 12 posted:

Suggestion Request

HanGawi might not be as upscale as you're thinking of but the vegetarian food there is awesome. It very well executed Korean. Also, you should know, you have to sit on the floor.
12 E. 32nd St., near Madison

Also seconding Kajitsu.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

district 12 posted:

Per Se looks so good but I guess I didn't realize when I said I could spend anything I'd be looking at $295pp :( that's a bit too much. So maybe $200 total, 2 people

lol

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

mindphlux posted:

lol

seriously.

How much does Eleven Madison Park run? I've never been, but I want to go. Also, that might be a fit?

Also if you can score a walk-in, WD50 is totally doable on that budget.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Nov 14, 2011

sink the biz
Jun 13, 2002

My goodness my Guinness
Seconding Kajitsu. Dirt Candy could also work.

Massive
Apr 8, 2004
Heading to Kajitsu on Sat for an anniversary dinner. Super excited. I ate Kyo-ya last night for the first time. Holy crap that place is great, but drat pricey.

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level
Forgive me for not conforming to protocol but I just got back from NYC and I noticed two food-related things.

a) Di Fara's is temporarily closed for health code violations

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/11/22/di-faras-pizza-closed-aft_n_1107549.html?ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=404300,b=facebook

b) When I went to pick up my train, I got a delicious triple chocolate donut and coffee from Zocalo's in grand central. I couldn't help but think that the guy behind the counter looked very familiar...

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2011/11/01/top-chef-contestant-brings-doughnut-pop-up-back-to-grand-central/

Lieutenant Dan
Oct 27, 2009

Weedlord Bonerhitler
Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Nice, going out with my foodie-ish parents
Willing to spend: Max $150~ a person
Restictions:

We're doing a family visit to New York, which will be my first time going, which is pretty exciting. :shobon: My parents and I really love trying new culinary things and are amassing a list of good dinnertime restaurants that aren't tourist traps to try. For reference, their favorite places at home (Vegas) are Bouchon and Vinter Grill.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Breakfast, lunch and dinner for two
Willing to spend: dinner for two under $100 with drinks
Restrictions:

My girlfriend and I will be going to NYC over the Christmas weekend and were looking for places to eat. She's not the most culinary curious, I'll try anything.
Our budget is pretty tight, but I'd like to fit in one nice-ish dinner at least and try to avoid chain places for breakfast and lunch.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

100 bucks total for 3 meals? Or just for the dinner? And where in manhattan will you be?

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Generalisimo Halal posted:

100 bucks total for 3 meals? Or just for the dinner? And where in manhattan will you be?

Just for dinner. We'll stay around Broadway/103rd St.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

Serendipitaet posted:

Just for dinner. We'll stay around Broadway/103rd St.

For dinner I would say to try and hit up the Red Rooster if you are that far uptown anyway. Depending on your booze you wil probably hit $120 bucks for the night, but it will be worth it.

edit: You are going to have a hell of a time getting rezzies to a lot of places this close to Christmas just fyi.

Jay Carney fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 20, 2011

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty
My mom is coming up to visit for her 70th birthday soon. For the past few years I've been taking her to various places in Astoria/LIC (where I live), but I want to treat her to something special in Manhattan this time.

Any help is appreciated!

Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Dinner. Nothing ridiculously fancy or formal.
Willing to spend: $50-70pp (that doesn't include alcohol)
Restrictions: No Asian or Middle Eastern food, unfortunately. American, Italian, Spanish, French cuisines are her favorites.

An Alright Guy
Nov 11, 2007

The playoffs work the same way

Bumblebee posted:

My mom is coming up to visit for her 70th birthday soon. For the past few years I've been taking her to various places in Astoria/LIC (where I live), but I want to treat her to something special in Manhattan this time.

Any help is appreciated!

Suggestion Request
Dinner style: Dinner. Nothing ridiculously fancy or formal.
Willing to spend: $50-70pp (that doesn't include alcohol)
Restrictions: No Asian or Middle Eastern food, unfortunately. American, Italian, Spanish, French cuisines are her favorites.

Monkey Bar
The Lambs Club
La Grenouille is a bit expensive but your mother would go apeshit if she loves French food. Call ahead and order flowers if you want.

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

An Alright Guy posted:

Monkey Bar
The Lambs Club
La Grenouille is a bit expensive but your mother would go apeshit if she loves French food. Call ahead and order flowers if you want.

Thank you so much! I will check these out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ccrazy88
Feb 8, 2009

Bumblebee posted:

Thank you so much! I will check these out.
How about Aldea? It will be at the high end of your budget.

• Locked thread