Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Minimaul posted:

Only at first. With practice you can learn exactly how much to brake and you'll find the sweet spot where you can brake hard (and late) and not lock them up. Or the point where a quick jab is all you need. Or when you just have to let off the throttle a oval office hair. etc. etc. Just takes practice to where you can get to the direct point of just before you lock 'em up.

Squeeze gently at first, until you know the corner/car/cars' brakes and can apply just the right amount for the situation. No 'slamming' of the brakes. Squeeze until you can feel the tires start to lock-up.

It seems to me that the brakes in FM4 are calibrated for the trigger better. In FM3, it seemed like there was just not a whole lot of play before the brakes locked and it was hard to find that sweet spot between practically no brakes at all and fully locked, but the cars I've driven in the demo have really good brake response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samswing
Jan 8, 2009

:dukedog:

Q_res posted:

I'm really liking the handling so far, even if it is more difficult. The Musclecar Race is so much fun, but I swear it's impossible to complete a clean lap in it. And the 458 Rivals race is pissing me off. It's so hard to be clean and fast, I can run clean and be about half a second behind UNDERGROUNDSPAZ, or I can beat his time by like 4 seconds, but I get my right wheels into the runoff area on one of the corners and invalidate my lap. Not to mention when I get the inside line on a traffic car, who then gleefully sidesweeps me like I'm not even there.

That clean lap almost made me put a foot through my TV. Getting better at this game is crushing, but when you do it's so so rewarding.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Disgustipated posted:

You can get the muscle car pack either with the LCE or the season pass. What happens if you get the season pass AND the LCE I don't know :iiam:

You get 250,000 in-game credits.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BlackLaser posted:

It fixes the horrible 2-3, and 4-5 shift getting caught on the gate in the shifter?

I only used it for 30 minutes or so at E3, but yeah - it makes shifting work properly. Still mounted via the chopsticks that stick into the side of the wheel, but the action is much smoother and I didn't have any missed shifts like happen all the time with the plastic one. I ordered it, so fingers crossed it's as good as I remember from June.

Glad to help out, Ringo Star Get :hf:

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

BlackLaser posted:

It fixes the horrible 2-3, and 4-5 shift getting caught on the gate in the shifter?

This is my main question. 4-5 on mine might actually make it into the gate 50% of the time. I end up using the clutch with the flappy paddles.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Ringo Star Get posted:

If anyone got a spare LCE I will gladly buy it, apparently there's no other place with LCE in stock :(
As I mentioned earlier, it looks like I will be getting two. The Best Buy one on the 11th through in store pickup, and the Target one sometime around the 13th.

Provided I get both, I don't mind shipping one or the other out to you for the cost of the LCE and the shipping. Of course, it won't be there the day of, but you should get all the pre-release stuff. I'm not sure if the BB copy will get the 1M since it's in store pickup, but I figure one could always bitch to Turn 10 about the situation and they'd make it right.

You're the first that's asked, so I'll give you first dibs. Honestly, I don't care about the 1M or the CR-Z, so long as I get all other LCE and day one car packs.

[edit]
NM, you've got yours. My offer still stands right up until the Target copy arrives in the mail. If no one wants it by then, I'll either eBay it or just take it back to Target for a refund.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT

einTier posted:

As I mentioned earlier, it looks like I will be getting two. The Best Buy one on the 11th through in store pickup, and the Target one sometime around the 13th.

Provided I get both, I don't mind shipping one or the other out to you for the cost of the LCE and the shipping. Of course, it won't be there the day of, but you should get all the pre-release stuff. I'm not sure if the BB copy will get the 1M since it's in store pickup, but I figure one could always bitch to Turn 10 about the situation and they'd make it right.

You're the first that's asked, so I'll give you first dibs. Honestly, I don't care about the 1M or the CR-Z, so long as I get all other LCE and day one car packs.

Thanks, I tried Ether's link to Frys, so far it is still in "Processing" and haven't got the confirmation email yet.

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.
I bit the bullet on a Target LCE, and might have a spare if BestBuy still comes through on my order.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
2,481 - MasterSchaf -01:42:598
2,705 - Jarf - 01:42:697

I think I peed a little in the last corner.

Edit: Also, I'm sorry for posting times, but... I tried so hard, and came so far.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 7, 2011

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

I'm all paranoid now. I'm going to get my BB receipt when I get home and make sure I still get my game! I need my game! Give me my game! :rage:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I figure everyone here is beyond this but I felt like posting this for nostalgia and the braking discussion. I forget where I heard it but this is the analogy that pretty much blew open racing sims and the idea of smooth application for me...

Everything you want to do with your car depends on grip. Imagine the amount of grip you have is water in a glass, you have a few other glasses in front of you representing braking, accelleration and turning. Everytime you do one of these things you're pouring water into that glass, and the quicker and more suddenly you need that action to happen the more water you're going to lose while hurriedly filling the glass.

So ideally, only pour as much as you need and as carefully and smoothly as you can.

Obviously there's more to it, such as the water/grip returning when you stop doing one of these things which should also happen as smoothly as you can muster. Basically though it made it clear in my mind why it's important to do things smoothly instead of just trying to max poo poo out as fast as you can.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 7, 2011

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5

Minimaul posted:

You get 250,000 in-game credits.

That's it? Not the equivalent number of tokens for that DLC content?

How... weak.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Ziploc posted:

That's it? Not the equivalent number of tokens for that DLC content?

How... weak.

Yeah, it's pretty crappy. Especially since the career throws credits at you. :|

I guess it'll be nice to start with 15+ cars and 310,000 cr. It'll go a long ways to buyin' old school Bimmers.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Is there any point to the grading thing that pops up for turns, passing, etc? It doesn't seem to do anything for the demo, but is it just going to be a "good job!" kind of thing in the full version too?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I have one ordered through best buy, but I stupidly got regular shipping because I was going to get another one through something else, so now It's all sold out. The best buy one says "sometime before Oct. 17th" So I overnighted one from Fry's. If I don't see a confirmation soon, I'll just murder someone. I'll still check stores around on Tuesday I guess.

I'll laugh if I have three copies of the LCE.

Minimaul
Mar 8, 2003

Deeters posted:

Is there any point to the grading thing that pops up for turns, passing, etc? It doesn't seem to do anything for the demo, but is it just going to be a "good job!" kind of thing in the full version too?

Yeah, pretty much just a kudos. I believe there's achievements for getting max of each one and there might be some in-game 'badges' for getting X amount or some poo poo like that probably.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

I have one ordered through best buy, but I stupidly got regular shipping because I was going to get another one through something else, so now It's all sold out. The best buy one says "sometime before Oct. 17th" So I overnighted one from Fry's. If I don't see a confirmation soon, I'll just murder someone. I'll still check stores around on Tuesday I guess.

I'll laugh if I have three copies of the LCE.

Yeah I'm still waiting on confirmation from Frys, I'm gonna punch a baby.

Now it says Back Ordered! What does that even mean?

Join the cool Fanatec club and spend $400!
VVVVV

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Oct 7, 2011

shodanjr_gr
Nov 20, 2007
Goddamn this thread is making me wanna spend $100 on a 360 wheel.

Screw you Turn10.

quote:

Join the cool Fanatec club and spend $400!

Car insurance on a mustang on a grad student salary doesn't leave many discretionary moneys for expensive toys :P.

shodanjr_gr fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Oct 7, 2011

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
Please say I'm not the only person who will force every person who visits my house to run the Top Gear track and put their times on a powerboard.

Here's the Top Gear powerboards for each car and F1 drivers, so you can compare to celebrities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_test_track

redhalo
May 19, 2009

GOD IS BED posted:

Please say I'm not the only person who will force every person who visits my house to run the Top Gear track and put their times on a powerboard.

Here's the Top Gear powerboards for each car and F1 drivers, so you can compare to celebrities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_test_track

This is a fantastic idea and I'm totally going to do this.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

Yeah I'm still waiting on confirmation from Frys, I'm gonna punch a baby.

Now it says Back Ordered! What does that even mean?

Where do you see that? My order says In Process and the website says preorder.

Also, we can't race against F1 drivers, there's no Liana in the game.

Edit: My order appears to be going through. Frys just called me because they were confused by my address.

Cojawfee fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 7, 2011

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

GOD IS BED posted:

redhalo posted:

This is a fantastic idea and I'm totally going to do this.
For the rare times I get visitors, I will also be doing this. :D

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

If you are getting Forza4 and you play witha controller, I would recommend getting the Wireless Motion Wheel. I`ve had mine a couple hours, and I drive comepletely different now. I can actually drive the Ferrari without spinning out every turn. It`s $60 bucks, but totally worth it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Where do you see that? My order says In Process and the website says preorder.

Also, we can't race against F1 drivers, there's no Liana in the game.

If you go to "Track Your Order" at the top and punch in your info, it'll show your status. I"m going to call them and see what the dilly-o is. If they'll get it in stock within a few days I can sweat it out, but if its something where it'll take a month, then I'll get it through one of the goons. I just hate when places will have stuff you can order on their site and when you click pay, it changes to "Oh hey its not really in stock, thanks for your dollars!"

EDIT: Okay, they said they definitely have more coming in from the shipper, just not sure when the exact date is. I might come to you guys in the thread if I don't hear anything anytime next week.

Ringo Star Get fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Oct 7, 2011

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

GOD IS BED posted:

I did this in Forza 2 with a Mazda on Suzuka west. It was pretty fun!

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Ringo Star Get posted:

If you go to "Track Your Order" at the top and punch in your info, it'll show your status. I"m going to call them and see what the dilly-o is. If they'll get it in stock within a few days I can sweat it out, but if its something where it'll take a month, then I'll get it through one of the goons. I just hate when places will have stuff you can order on their site and when you click pay, it changes to "Oh hey its not really in stock, thanks for your dollars!"

Yeah, mine definitely says "In Processing." I was worried when the lady called me, I thought she was saying it was canceled, but it was just my address because the order form is a dick and wouldn't let me put Lackland AFB and demanded I put San Antonio.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Cojawfee posted:

Yeah, mine definitely says "In Processing." I was worried when the lady called me, I thought she was saying it was canceled, but it was just my address because the order form is a dick and wouldn't let me put Lackland AFB and demanded I put San Antonio.

Yeah, I edited my post but I figure I'll tell you here too, they have more coming in, just not sure "when".

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Your order definitely says backordered though? They say if an order is in by 8EST (an hour and a half from now) it ships same day. So I'll see if they ship it.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

Yeah definitely backordered. They don't have any in stock to confirm its in stock, but if they get it they'll notify me. So it may come in Monday, who knows.

pvax
Aug 6, 2001

Not that it will distract me one iota from the multitude of awesome available in the game, but I can't believe they haven't added a Power Lap Board. Keep track of running the cars in the game stock (taken from a standing start of course) around the Top Gear Test Track. I'm jsut going to buy a huge piece of sheet metal and decorate my living room with it.

I'm sure they'll have an online rival Kia Cee'd thingy, but this seems to be the second most obvious use of a license ever.

Still no ominous email from Best Buy - so hopefully I'm good for my store pickup on Tuesday.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

Are you going to interview them as well?

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Are we going to get a Chevrolet Lacetti?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Who knew I could be so pissed from a limited edition video game preorder being cancelled? Not me.

If anyone grabs an extra copy I will reward you handsomely.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
The Kmart guy at cheapassgamer.com says Forza will come with a $20 coupon next week. Any chance Amazon matches this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Welp, now my order says backorder. Here's hoping I can find one on release day. Maybe people will stay away from the BX.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

IOwnCalculus posted:

Are you going to interview them as well?

I thought about it. I do like talking about cars with friends. I guess it depends on how stoned I am at the time.
FINALLY beat your M5 time, xzzy. Dunno how Im gonna catch up to pvax or Minimaul.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

captainOrbital posted:

Are we going to get a Chevrolet Lacetti?

They have to, I can't imagine they'd go all out for the Top Gear brand and not be able to license a lovely chevy that's part of it's grand history.

If nothing else the Autovista description would be great.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

GhostDog posted:

2,481 - MasterSchaf -01:42:598
2,705 - Jarf - 01:42:697

God DAMNIT!

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

If anyone is in the same boat as I am with a gifted LfA that shows up as missing content, I found a way around it. Go on xbox.com and you can download the ultimate sampler. It's not on xbl for some reason. I still can't drive the LfA, but I'm hoping it will transfer since technically it's in my garage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

I'm going to assume that people are just price-hiking the poo poo out of the Limited Edition because it's listed for $250 on Amazon. Not a big deal, but I'm gay for the Veyron and it'd be cool to have the SuperSports.

Also, is there a video review for that wireless wheel anywhere?

• Locked thread