Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

FUUUUUUUUUCK YOOOOOOOUUUUUUUUUUU! :(

My exact response. I'm so jealous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
Dare I ask what you're doing with your old GT2 wheel?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Not very fair to show off your CSR Elite when I've got a broken wheel... :(

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
:doh: Sorry, didn't mean to upset anyone - I'm a jerk. Should have waited until you got yours situated. I just didn't expect to see this thing arriving anytime before next year since I missed the original pre-order period dicking around trying to decide if I wanted it or not. Last time I ordered a Fanatec wheel it took 6 months to arrive..

Hopefully they can get it sorted for you before the new year - I have confidence they will take care of it, but the timing is bad as they'll probably be out half of next week. If you haven't already, in addition to emailing support you should post on 911wheel.de and try and get Armin's attention - he's the head support guy and is great at fixing problems quickly - they know everyone wants to get back to driving.

At least know my little news resulted in discovering that the most recent firmware updates make Forza even more fun, I would be very surprised if this update doesn't end up on the Porsche wheels too as the tuning and setup menus are identical between wheels.

einTier - I've got a friend who may be taking it, if he ends up passing I'll let you know. (It's actually a PWTS, not a GT2)

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I was joking. It makes me want to try and get them to let me have the CSR E if I pay the extra for it.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
Highly recommended if you can pull it. I don't get how they took the 9.5 of the Porsche Wheels and turned it up to 13, companies today don't do that often.

I'm now really interested to see what accessories they've got planned to attach onto the front of this thing. At least I assume that's what all the allen bolts on the front face are for. Who knows!

I was marginal about this new rim and had been planning on looking into the replacements when those get announced, but after using it I'm won over. It isn't full leather/alcantara, but the natural grip placement seems better suited to long driving sessions - it allows your hands to be just a little bit lower than on the Porsche wheel, which seems to cause less stress (to my wrists at least.) The rubber covering on the rim is really nicely put together and smooth so I'm not really missing the leather yet.

The thumbstick is a million times better than the clunky D-pad of the previous setup. No longer is it a pain scrolling those lengthy car lists/option sets.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
So did anyone else get a free Cobra from Turn10? Is this a VIP thing?

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

Highly recommended if you can pull it. I don't get how they took the 9.5 of the Porsche Wheels and turned it up to 13, companies today don't do that often.

I'm now really interested to see what accessories they've got planned to attach onto the front of this thing. At least I assume that's what all the allen bolts on the front face are for. Who knows!

I was marginal about this new rim and had been planning on looking into the replacements when those get announced, but after using it I'm won over. It isn't full leather/alcantara, but the natural grip placement seems better suited to long driving sessions - it allows your hands to be just a little bit lower than on the Porsche wheel, which seems to cause less stress (to my wrists at least.) The rubber covering on the rim is really nicely put together and smooth so I'm not really missing the leather yet.

The thumbstick is a million times better than the clunky D-pad of the previous setup. No longer is it a pain scrolling those lengthy car lists/option sets.
There is actually a screw on the wheel's neck, which once loosened allows you to remove the entire wheel rim.

Sunday Punch
Mar 4, 2009

There you are in your home, and the soldiers smash down the door and tell you you're in the middle of World War III. Something's gone wrong with time.
Goddamn the Maserati 300 S is a a bundle of fun. Tuned up to A class, the low driving position and light weight make it fantastic to drive. Reminds me a lot of the Porsche 550 Spyder from Forza 3, just not quite as extreme :smith:.

Thanks to Hello Spaceman for the December DLC pack, and everyone who entered and voted in the photo comp :3:

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Sunday Punch posted:

So did anyone else get a free Cobra from Turn10? Is this a VIP thing?
If you got it about a week or so ago, it's from a facebook poll that they had between the cobra and the gt 40. The winner of the poll got sent to anyone who has the VIP status that you got with the collectors edition.

AFewBricksShy fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Dec 17, 2011

Alleric
Dec 10, 2002

Rambly Bastard...
So I'm finally in on this. I may even re-up my Gold account. Wife and I exchanged gifts last night and she got me Forza 4 and the new Microsoft wireless speed wheel. Bloody hell that thing is heaven in FM4 no matter what your sitting position is. It's kind of amazing.

Comma Chameleon
Apr 30, 2008

Ether Frenzy posted:

How is the ffb in 900 degree mode when drifting? does it quickly autorotate with the tires torque alignment? My 911 S is quite slow in that area and my only real complaint with the wheel.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

From what I saw from videos it is very fast.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is the auto clutch coming to the regular CSR? I want that.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Cojawfee posted:

Is the auto clutch coming to the regular CSR? I want that.
Ditto, hopefully it'll happen soon.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Sunday Punch posted:

Thanks to Hello Spaceman for the December DLC pack, and everyone who entered and voted in the photo comp :3:
Yeah, congrats on that photo - great shot! Cool contest, Hello Spaceman - thanks for running it.

Cham King posted:

How is the ffb in 900 degree mode when drifting? does it quickly autorotate with the tires torque alignment? My 911 S is quite slow in that area and my only real complaint with the wheel.

The 900 degree drift/correction (in post-patch Forza) with the CSR-E is much much faster than on my PWTS. I'd say it feels maybe 2x as quick to find the right angle to correct a slide which is enough to bring it back most of the way to how it felt before the patch (without it being so ridiculously easy to save everything.) I was having a lot of trouble on the PWTS with casual drifting/slight loss of traction to the rears causing me to insta-spin and this feels much more natural and saveable. Still very possible to get into a tankslapper with ease, but there is a hope of fixing it with the right, quick reaction.

I believe half of it is the lighter wheel rim mass/quicker responding motors, and half of it is the updated firmware. I think 715 is post-patch and would most likely have been built to help fix that issue introduced by the patch to how wheels reacted to countersteering. My in-game settings are back to default and have the wheel totally default right now, except for reducing FFB to 70 and upping SPR to 1.

98% sure that Thomas said somewhere that the ACL would be coming to the Porsche firmwares as well but I can't find it now. That addition alone is fantastic, makes driving the cars that should snap-shift a lot more rewarding and direct.

I did notice something odd about the SPR setting, I'm not sure if this is a "feature" of the firmware as a species or if it's a bug of 715 - but with SPR setting on +1 the button response is slightly snappier. Specifically the paddle shifters - with SPR on 0 and autoclutch on, there is a slight over-rev/lag between when you click the upshift with the throttle all in and when it executes the gearchange - with SPR at 1, it's massively reduced and there is almost no over-rev when you ask for a change. Driving also feels better.

I didn't do enough testing yet to see if upping SPR to 3 (or whatever is highest) will result in insta-shifts. SPR 3 makes the wheel weirdly twitchy in menus.

Also interesting to discover, you have to disable autoclutch when you're in settings or other menus that require the use of the RB/LB - with autoclutch on, it backs you out of the menu since it's presumably spamming the B button with the paddles when you hit RB/LB (the paddles.)

Falken posted:

There is actually a screw on the wheel's neck, which once loosened allows you to remove the entire wheel rim.
Yeah, there's also about 10 additional (mounting points? adjustment screws?) on the face of the base - 3 clustered in a triangle on the left, and two sets of horizontally adjustable ones on the right.

The 4 main ones around the wheel shaft are *probably* structural - but they're exactly the same kind of allen bolts as the others so who knows.

My only complaint so far is that it's making my Rennsport Wheelstand seem less rock-solid - the extra weight and power are perhaps a little stronger than that was designed for. It's not wobbly but it does highlight flex in the stand more and a lot more creaks and groans. I've got v1 though.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Are the paddles adjustable like the csp wheel?

Irish Legend
Aug 12, 2011

Jabs posted:

Come race like that on Wednesday. We're doing a LeMons Race. That setup would be perfect! =)

The schedule says Spec Miata, am I missing something?

Edit: finally got my pictures to work again. No idea wtf was wrong.

Irish Legend fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 17, 2011

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

For better or worse (probably worse), here is my current GS USTCC entry:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Okay fuckit. All this wheel talk means I am going to have to get my wheel/chair sorted before I go on holiday for Christmas.

This PWTS has been sitting unused for most of Forza 3 and all of Forza 4.

Also Sunday Punch, I'm happy you got the code. Sorry it took a while to sort it out - but I did live up to my promise!
If I get another idea for a contest I'll be able to source another code for the next car pack, I think. Pity that it precludes season pass owners from entering, though :(

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Hello Spaceman posted:

Okay fuckit. All this wheel talk means I am going to have to get my wheel/chair sorted before I go on holiday for Christmas.

This PWTS has been sitting unused for most of Forza 3 and all of Forza 4.

Also Sunday Punch, I'm happy you got the code. Sorry it took a while to sort it out - but I did live up to my promise!
If I get another idea for a contest I'll be able to source another code for the next car pack, I think. Pity that it precludes season pass owners from entering, though :(
If I enter and win (not likely) I'll just donate the code or something.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Irish Legend posted:

The schedule says Spec Miata, am I missing something?
30 minute Spec Miata sprint. 30 minute LeMons race...since it's sort of a "holiday" week.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Well the year's almost over and that means two things: Xmas money and soon enough tax refund. So obviously I'll do the responsible thing and buy a Fanatec. Question though about pedals-I know the Clubsport were miles better than the old standard ones, but how do the CSR compare? I know the Clubsports are better but....$80 is $80, you know? Any help would be appreciated.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Humerus posted:

Well the year's almost over and that means two things: Xmas money and soon enough tax refund. So obviously I'll do the responsible thing and buy a Fanatec. Question though about pedals-I know the Clubsport were miles better than the old standard ones, but how do the CSR compare? I know the Clubsports are better but....$80 is $80, you know? Any help would be appreciated.
It's all about perspective. Over the course of the entirety of 2012, $80 is:
4 calls for pizza.
One new game and one used game that you'll skip buying because you're playing Forza that much more.
A tank and a half of gas. (YMMV)

You've already talked yourself into buying a peripheral that costs more than your Xbox did.
I say go all in.

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 19, 2011

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

*edit*
Nevermind, was thinking of CSRE wheel, not CSR pedals.

LiquidRain
May 21, 2007

Watch the madness!

Rainwave here, sent club request to AUGR. Want to get in on some races!

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Well I suppose the benefit of having a nonfunctional wheel means I finally got round to putting a livery on my Trueno...

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

LiquidRain posted:

Rainwave here, sent club request to AUGR. Want to get in on some races!

You're in. And you have a cool gamertag, too.

speedtek
Nov 26, 2004

Let's make it out, baby.

Jabs posted:

30 minute Spec Miata sprint. 30 minute LeMons race...since it's sort of a "holiday" week.

what are the LeMons regs?

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:

speedtek posted:

what are the LeMons regs?
Bring the most ridiculous thing you can think of, and a bucket of hope.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Falken posted:

Well I suppose the benefit of having a nonfunctional wheel means I finally got round to putting a livery on my Trueno...

drat that's pretty.

In reply, god I love multiplayer racing on this game.

There's not an AI in that photo :)

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
That is an amazing photo.

"photo"

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice

Jabs posted:

Could you post a link to the off-SA site (or let me know what time and requirements are needed for Wednesday's race, I'll try to make it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dudley posted:

There's not an AI in that photo :)

That can't be true, there's no one running into each other.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I said come in! posted:

Must have been a 5 second rolloff delay on the start or something.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

I said come in! posted:

It's from an organised historic series and we're pretty good at that, although I could probably find you some highlights that suggest otherwise.

And yeah, it's an astonishingly good photo. Especially as it catches one of the very few times I've led a race, at the other tracks the US cars have always had too much power for my little CSL to battle.

(http://historictrophy.blogspot.com/)

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Jabs posted:

I was curious about the LeMons rules, too. Dollar limit for car purchase? PI limit?

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
I've been doing alot of liveries lately, I was wondering if anyone knows of any good storefronts or words to search for classic vinyls? I'm exhausted the use of my own and using the in-game ones is pretty crap because of weird restrictions.

That classic racing series really really makes me want to keep make old-rear end cars into racing versions. Speaking of which, cars I have driven recently:

Fiat Abarth 131: Incredible in the corners, but slow as rear end. Its been my favorite season-play car because in the long straights its ended up being a drafting competition, then I pull back ahead in the corners.

That grey GT40 racing car: What the hell is up with its gears? 80mph in first gear? Then an explosion of gear changes into 6th? I don't understand it, but I'm sure theres a decent tuning to sort it out.

Classic Lamborghini Miura: Feels like its on drag tyres, entire car shakes and sways when the revs go up. Still and incredible drive.

RS200: Has this car been "fixed" since F3? I remember it used to be my go-to car for winning because the acceleration was incredible. Now its kinda sluggish but still good.

Suzuki Pikes Peak: I still think it sucks balls. I guess in a 1-model only race it'd be fine though.

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.

Captain Hair posted:

That grey GT40 racing car: What the hell is up with its gears? 80mph in first gear? Then an explosion of gear changes into 6th? I don't understand it, but I'm sure theres a decent tuning to sort it out.
They use that car to race at Le Mans. In a 24 hour race, there's not many opportunities to start from zero, so a fast 0-60 acceleration doesn't gain you much. However, you do need a high top speed, and most of your acceleration is likely to be from 60-top speed. The gear ratios are there to make the most out of the acceleration you use most and to sacrifice the kind of acceleration you might do once every three hours of racing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Captain Hair posted:

RS200: Has this car been "fixed" since F3? I remember it used to be my go-to car for winning because the acceleration was incredible. Now its kinda sluggish but still good.

AWD PI calculation was broken in FM3, so comparing equal PI cars between the two games anything AWD will be slower in FM4.

Stock vs. stock it should be similar though.

• Locked thread