Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”
I ordered the game a few days ago and I’m trying to be preemptive -

This may sound like a dumb question, but what would you folks come up with as a list of etiquette for the game? It’s the lack of etiquette that can make public matches so terrible in any multiplayer game. However, some people will happily follow and appreciate a rule set if you give them one. Many, like myself learn bad habits because we spend a lot of time in public matches. Now I’m not talking about eating, talking to someone in your living room/on the phone or blasting music over your mike, but rules of the road.

I know that it’s easy to just say “don’t act like an rear end in a top hat!” and leave it at that, but I’m hoping for something a bit more constructive. That and hopefully I can expand my rather small friends list (GT same as SA name) and not have to play many pubbies.

To start things off:

-Do not actively block someone from passing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Those are pretty much what I'm looking for. Yeah, I certainly don't want rule lawyering or even hard rules - just the gentlemen's agreement/its polite to [blank]. Just read some of the Madden threads if you want to see some bickering.

I’m not going to impress anyone with my driving so I might as well not stand out for bad manners.

Thanks!

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Mostly, if you know the rules of racing, you should be fine. Blocking is okay, but don't do it if he isn't square in your mirror.
Also, don't block the leader if he's lapping you. That's a big dick move and would get you black flagged in real life.
When in doubt, check up and let the other guy take the corner. At worst, you're behind him and can try to catch him again. At best, he's going in too hot and will spin out anyways, so being a little slow/off-line going in keeps you from getting taken out.
Otherwise, keep it clean, and don't run people off the road.
Also, brake earlier than usual if you're behind someone in a corner - not a rule but will keep you out of other people's bumpers. If you race with the brake line on, use it as a guide or a cue - don't ever follow it if you're going two wide into anything.

Yeah, I think learning to properly race will make a huge difference for me. Much of it can be picked up through trial and error and I've seen a few websites that give pointers. I played Forza 3 a bit over the summer and the brake line was helpful, but following it as a rule is definitely a bad idea.

EDIT:

"gut"?

Dukket fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Feb 24, 2012

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Thanks for the etiquette chat. I've been too :ohdear: to try any goon racing because I'm awful but it looks like you guys are pretty cool kats on the track.

:unsmith:

I was playing some FPS a couple years ago and someone said (politely) said “you shouldn’t do [whatever], it’s considered rude for these reasons”
It made sense once he said it, but honestly it hadn’t occurred to me. My (lack of) skillz means no one is banging down my door to join up. So, I decided that I’d ask questions, learn the rules, do my best to improve and have fun. I can handle not being among the best as long as I’ve got that.

If the people are iffy then I mute them and carry on, if I’m not having fun I’ll play something else.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Sweet! My copy of Forza arrived three days early! Installing while I make dinner. Spaghetti Carbonara,if anyone is hungry Spaghetti :chef:

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Jabs posted:

I'll be opening a lobby shortly after I get home. (45min-1 hour after this post)

Dumb question incoming -

So, if I wanted to just spectate for a bit...how would I do that?

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Does anyone have suggestions for good tutorials for creating vinyl groups – logos and all that? I've looked the Forza website and done a some googling – just wondering if folks have their favs.

Humorously I think many of my idea will be really tough and I have no talent. BUT if you don't try...

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Not to reveal any secrets, but...I have 14 Mini coopers with about 3000 to 3500 layers of logos each which I am obligated to share (don't worry, this doesn't include anything I got from you guys helping me out with my 82 car project). So if you ever need anything (especially Japanese logos, some of which I'll never use) let me know and I can hook a brother up.

In general though: just play with the basic shapes and get a feel for what they can do and be used for.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind as I try to figure things out.

I've created a few things - to be honest this seems sooo awkward using a control, but what are you going to do. Currently I'm trying to create bits of the periodic table – which is a bit more daunting then I'd originally thought.

I'd love to try to create a Peter Stokkebye (Tobacco) logo

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Thanks for the suggestions!

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

speedtek posted:

Full schedule, with links to each series' rules is here

Bookmark it!

Hmmm – OK so pardon my confusion – are we not doing the Korean race anymore or are these two different events?

My livery is terrible, I gotta work on this

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Captain Hair posted:

More good advice

I was really blown away when I realized the majority of the logos and designs I was seeing weren’t just imported images. I have a few things started and feel like I’m starting to get the hang of the controls, though a key would be nice. I accidentally figured out that by shrinking an image down to nothing flips it. I don’t anticipate ever being all that good, but I’ll certainly learn a thing or two about spatial relations :)

Start simple

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
There are a couple of posts on the F4 forums about making a grid. One guy prints a grid on paper and tapes it to his TV...

Sunday Punch: I see what you mean - yeah, I guess rotating would probably be just as easy and quick...

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

CaseFace McGee posted:

To my knowledge, there are three race series currently - GoonSpec, which is mainly AUGR members from the U.S.; Goon Touring Car Championship, which is hosted by GTCC and has racers from the U.S., Canada, and a smattering of other locations like that one island with the koalas and such; and SAEG's EuroGruppen races for those who are across the pond.

AAAAhhh - thank you - there are several conversations going at once. GoonSpec and GTCC are both Wednesday nights, I think that was a big part of my confusion.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

silverbullitt850 posted:

So as of right now, standings are:
code:
Boaz McPherson  44
TheCowboyJoe    44
Krautastic      34
vertigo 360     26
whatcubed3      26
xander i crews  24
sapopeonarope   18
speedt3k        15
aardmania       13
kilonum         11
dukket          10
sac4eva         5

OH, did I get points for showing up? :)

I'm going to have to do some serious testing before next week - the Kia wasn't cutting it. I pretty much couldn't corner at all - in my defense I've only had the game for a week or so.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
I realize it's a week away, but does anyone have a lap time I should be shooting for at Silverstone International for the next Goonspec? I'm guessing my 1.54 is a bit slow.

I switched to the MiTo, which I think I like better...

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Three trucks in one direction and a bunch of cars in the other on the Amalfi coast is a blast!

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
My best lap is improving, but my overall time is increasing :(

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Wow, the Pinto spec King Cobra sounds like B-movie monster stuck in a vacuum cleaner.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
Has anyone else had trouble joining lobbies since the patch? Over the last couple of days I've received invites from various folks but haven't been able to join.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

PopeOnARope posted:

I've had some issues joining lobbies, but they usually go away after either resetting my routers, or 2-3 join attempts.

One thing that I've found on the web is that sometimes, the 360 doesn't set up it's uPNP properly, if it boots straight into a game. Set it up so your 360 boots to dash, then start the game. It usually solves more problems than it makes.

I've never had any problems until the patch - which could be coincidental, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Finally got my Pinto painted and ready for tomorrow night.

Body roll!

What kinda lap times have you been making?

• Locked thread