Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Never played any of the Forza games before, but I'm planning on picking this one up. I do not currently own an Xbox 360, and I see there are several different versions available. Is the 4gb arcade model enough to play this game, or do I need one of the ones with a larger HDD?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Guess I'll just bite the bullet and pick up the 250GB version. That'll leave me some room for other stuff if I decide I like the Xbox more than my PS3. Excited to race against some goons!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I downloaded the demo last night and I have to say I'm quite impressed, and can't wait to pick up my copy after work Tuesday. After a bit of getting used to the controls and the game itself, I put up a 1:47.7 with the Zonda. Adding my gamertag to the spreadsheet. I'm new so I need new friends!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Q_res posted:

Alright, someone was asking about install size earlier. With all the DLC, Disc 2 installed and a game install it weighs in at 11GB. 7.6 GB of that is the game install, so Disc 2 + DLC is right around 3.4GB.
How much does the full install cut down on loading times?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Fatrick posted:

Anyone else getting network errors trying to connect with people?
I had that happen the first several times I tried to join a game, but it seems to be working now.

Also, I discovered that the Gran Turismo "press square for brakes" does not equate to "mash brake trigger all the way in for brakes." Helps you go faster...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Minimaul posted:

Since we're all 'new' to the game, now would be a good time to start taking assists off and learning without them - if it's something you'd want to do. If you start now in a few days/weeks you'll be way better. It's better to do it now than wait and say "I'll turn off assists when I'm more familiar with the game." When that happens people are too comfortable to change effectively. Something to consider if you have an interest in driving without assist. Otherwise, keep on rockin' in the free world! haha.
This is great advice. In GT4 goons were posting times in a shitbox and I wasn't getting close even though I felt I was driving pretty good laps. I decided to turn the traction control and assists off, and after a small learning curve, I was right in the thick of the posted times. Probably won't take more than a few hours to get used to it, and your times and skill will improve by a good margin.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Still getting a lot of "Attempting to join Lobby..." "Player Unreachable"

I just want to race with goons :(

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Nounverber posted:

Sent a request to join the LLJK club as gamertag Nounverber2885.

I'm digging the amount of customization you can do in Forza 4 (this is my first racing sim) :haw:

I haven't really looked into the vinyls and decals too much, but are you importing graphics from jpegs and stuff, or are you creating these from scratch? Is there some sort of beginners guide to start making custom decals and stuff?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
For anyone that was racing against me in the Range Rover just a while ago, I'm very sorry! It's fast in a straight line but I spent most of lap one on my roof!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Liku posted:

Did the game flip you back on the track in 3? Are you hosed of you land on your roof?

This is the first Forza I've played, and it seems like you have to mash buttons and steering to flip back over.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Athanatos posted:

Since the servers are down, have some videos of the group racing from yesterday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyEnuyXWdy0
Nürburgring with the fancy camera angles.

and just another random race where you have to watch my terribleness because I just recorded it straight up:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djrMwbm7Y0g
That Michelin Man livery is cool as hell.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I've never played any other Forza games and I thought I'd try something simple for my first paint job. I grabbed the Gulf logo from the storefront.

The colors look weird on my computer...might need to edit them a bit.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

ChocNitty posted:

On my quest to build the quickest F class track car, I tried the old Toyota:

It's so sexy looking, but unfortunately, it's dog slow.
That car is pretty great looking.

What is the fastest F Class car you can make? I've messed around a little bit with a Ford Ka and the Kia cee apostrophe d and something else I can't remember, but it seems that once you tune them to 200 their performance is pretty close.

Running around Top Gear Test Track and Bernese Alps, the 200's I've tuned have all been within about one second of each other. I'd be interested if there is a more obscure choice that can be made a couple seconds quicker.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
If you buy a car in the shop and then go to quicktune, does it apply the same upgrades as if you choose the car as a prize car?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
What shape did you use to make that carbon fibre fiber pattern?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Ak Gara posted:

It's on my storefront. It's just a bunch of lines.
What's your GamerTag? It's not in the spreadsheet, and the Storefront in Forza isn't finding "Ak Gara."

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Pees With Boner posted:

Is it just me or is the difficulty in the World Tour mode significantly higher than if you just do individual events? I usually set the difficulty fairly low because there's no pre-race qualification in this game so I can't mess with the settings before every track (and wouldn't do so even if given the chance because all the races are like 5 laps/who cares)
Last night I wanted to try out the Peugeot 107, something ridiculous like F107 stock, but decided to get affinity level 4 so I wouldn't have to pay for parts. Went into the event list and picked and F-Class event. I raced 4-5 tracks. All the other cars were in the F195-F200 range. I was routinely 10-12 seconds faster per lap than the other cars. Seems like when in career mode the AI is a bit faster. I'm not that great of a driver as many people I've played with online can attest, but I can follow the correct line with an F-Class car.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

HeyEng posted:

Yea, it's been alluded to that not all of the laps are actually done by the proper Stig. The costume is used to hide the fact that there is a company driver in several of the cars that were being used.
Yeah if I remember correctly, Top Gear was having a problem getting a hold of one to run around the track. Schumacher happened to be the owner of an FXX and his was supposedly the only one made in black. I think Schumacher appeared on that episode as well.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Tonight I decided to learn how to use manual + clutch. I ran a bunch of laps on the Starter Car Open Top Gear track and managed to get up to Top 5% with a :45.536. It took about an hour to really get the hang of shifting down, and the gains are pretty noticeable. I'd recommend everyone give it a try if you haven't yet.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

xzzy posted:

Really all it comes down to is the "other stuff", like which console a guy owns, or whether the user interface outside of racing is any good.
I don't know about anyone else, but for me, it was hard to have fun playing GT5. After enjoying GT4 so much, the jump to 5 just seemed off for some reason.

I find Forza 4 to be a much more enjoyable game to play because I don't have to gently caress about trying to find this or that option in some retarded menu, and I don't have to wait for a specific car to show up in the used car lot so I can complete a race series.

I never played GT5 online, but the single player mode between these two games isn't even a competition, Forza blows GT away.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Hit level 140 tonight. Is anyone else getting close to hitting the level cap?
I managed to finish World Tour mode tonight. Then I bought all the F class cars. Here I come, Event List!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Wow, the '57 Maserati 300 S is gorgeous in that trailer, can't wait to tool around with one on a track. Looks to be a great pack of new cars.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Aww man the cars from the December DLC pack showed up in my "Buy Cars" screen and I was like whoa, this is early! Alas, they are not yet available for purchase...

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Quick question about adding power to cars. Is there any reason to go with one certain engine upgrade over another? I know that some of them like exhaust can reduce the vehicle weight as well as add power, and some add weight like the oil coolers. However, say I need to add a couple points to the PI...is there any reason to upgrade the exhaust to the next level instead of an air filter upgrade? Or the fuel/ignition upgrade?

I've tested a couple cars but my sample size is low and the results are fairly close but not exactly the same...was hoping someone could shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Sent a request to join AUGR, my GT is whatcubed3

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

jadebullet posted:

Could someone please do me a favor and quote me the set up rules for the race this Wed. It would probably be a good idea to post it again just in case new drivers want to race in it this week.
Here's the page that Jabs created that lists the info. link

I have a question about the setup, thinking about racing this week. It says "Chassis Reinforcement and Roll Cage: Race" but does that mean we have to use the Race setup, or can we use anything BUT the race setup? It's confusing to me because the heading above states the cars can use anything except what's listed below.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
What aero is allowed on the cars?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
You can usually trick it into giving you something closer to what you want to race in. Try going changing into a couple different classes of cars and it will change up the events.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
How do you register for the Hyundai Veloster: FM4 Championship rivals challenge? When I try to access it it says it's "only for registered Forza Motorsport 4 players." Yet it does not give you any instructions on where to register.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Cannot Find Server posted:

I think everyone who beats his time gets a Ferrari 360 CS, regardless of region.
Is that a unicorn car? I don't have one of those yet :ohdear:

Also, I was getting close to beating CJ Wilson's time but falling just short. Figured it was as good a time as any to turn ABS off for the first time. Two laps in and I had a time in the 1:12's. My question is why does turning off ABS let you stop better/faster/more efficiently? I was pretty good at not slamming on the brakes with ABS on, and didn't see the indicator flash up all the time. But it seems that with ABS, you could brake a lot harder and the car would compensate for it. I guess I understand that I am faster with it off, but I don't get why that is.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
For the E30 Goonspec race, yall keep mentioning a 20% power reduction...how do you tune that?

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Who's doing the invite for the BTCC race tonight? I haven't seen an invite yet.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

GOD IS BED posted:

I'm probably wrong on the acutal displacement, but it's definitely not 2.0L. I'll check the p/w ratio and requirements again when I get home, but it seemed on target last night. It's super ridiculous, it speeds up like nothing else but then refuses to stay on the road :(. Any tips for FWD tuning would be greatly appreciated.

e: It may be a glitch car somehow, I had a CR-Z set up to be around mid-A class.
What's your horsepower at? I think the upper limit is 295. I entered the race last week and I had forgotten about the HP threshold and had to detune my car a bit to make the requirements.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
*AHEM*

I believe the rules stipulate a respectable racing livery and what you've got there...

Just joshin' you, looking forward to the race tonight!

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

You sure? I'll leave you in as a "provisional", so if no one takes your number, or if there's extra left over, I'll still send one your way. After all, there are 82 cars...
If you can put me down for one that'd be awesome! I'm in AUGR and if you have a number in the teens (13?) that'd be swell. GT is whatcubed3

Also, what is the PI people are coming up with for the Showroom Miata MX5 '94 cars for the Suzuka race this upcoming Wednesday? I've got one now at C388 and want to make sure I'm in the right spot.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Quick updates:

The Stella Artois car (3 of 82) is free for the taking.

Set 1: Mobil 1 Rally Car; this is based on a Metro rally car, I believe, which was blue & white.

Now for the fun part. The following get to make their pick, and I will base this off of first-post, first-serve, just incase one of these people are asleep and we don't hear from them for a month. Tell me design and color (i.e. "monster" and "blue"). Remember, you are allowed to pick previous unclaimed designs as well. The following who get to pick are:

unrollloops
TooBeerBishies
TravBot - Irwin, shipping as 13 of 82
speedteck - please verify GT
whatcubed3
Wee Bairns - please verify GT
AFewBricksShy

This will make 19 of 82 cars completed (20 if you count "Dirty Drifters", but I'm not at this point). Also, if I mispelt your GT, please let me know, I'll be sending out friend requests tonight and hopefully your cars tomorrow.
Can I get the Stella car if it's available? If not, I'll take the blue Mobil 1. GT = whatcubed3

This is a really awesome project you're doing, I'm having fun looking at all your designs. Makes me think I should start to learn the vinyl editor.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

YF19pilot posted:

Yes, the Stella car is available. Do you still want the number 16 on the car? I can change the plackard for you.
Oh man, if we can get any number I'd love 3! If not, 16 is cool with me.

edit: I asked this earlier and no one replied...
Also, what is the PI people are coming up with for the Showroom Miata MX5 '94 cars for the Suzuka race this upcoming Wednesday? I've got one now at C388 and want to make sure I'm in the right spot.

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Feb 21, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Jabs posted:

You might want to double check and/or list your mods here. My recollection is C385 without aero and C386 with.
I'm at work so I'll check when I get home and edit my mods into this post. If I recall, I was at 385 without aero, and adding the side skirts and hood got me 3 PI points. I did not add spoiler or front bumper.

edit: Here are the mods I have installed on the car, listed as Category (specific mod). Any item I have not listed is stock.

exhaust (street)
oil and cooling (race oil and cooling)
brakes (sport brakes)
springs and dampers (race springs and dampers)
front anti-roll bars (race front anti-roll bars)
chassis reinforcement and roll cage (race chassis reinforcement and roll cage)
weight reduction (race weight reduction)
clutch (sport clutch)
transmission (race transmission)
differential (race differential)
tire compound (race tire compound)
front tire width (205/50R15)
rear tire width (205/50R15)
rim style (motegi racing traklite 2.0)
front rim size (15)
rear rim size (15)
side skirts (sport)
hood (sport)

GentlemanofLeisure fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 22, 2012

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
There's been a few new people in the past page or two, so I just wanted to let you guys know that we'd love it if you raced online with us, even if you're not that fast. Sure, we've got some people who are really good at this game, but there are plenty of people who aren't (me included). One way to get a lot better fast is to race with people who are faster than you. I've gotten a lot of pointers during races that have decreased my lap times. Of course, the more time you play, the better you should get. Also, turn off those driving assists!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Jabs posted:

GoonMons on Wednesday!

UPDATE: The (completely optional) theme for the evening is "UNLOVED PROJECTS".

In my one lap of practice tonight, I cranked out a 11:54.xxx on the Green Hell, and had a top speed of 120 MPH on the S/F straightaway. =)

I'd love to see you new guys join us!
I still have no idea what kind of car and mods is acceptable for this race. I think I'm going to just make a Pinto of about E250...sound about right?

• Locked thread