Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

VERTiG0 posted:

Can somebody tell me why they recycled the MF5 GT? It's no different other than being 1 year newer... So far as I can tell.

From what I can find it looks like the 2011 has wider tires and is about 100kg lighter, and it's got twin turbo V8 from the most current M5 replacing the V10 in the 2010 model. I would say that's a bit more than just a minor refresh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I've no doubts that V10 and V12 cars will still exist, but they're likely going to become more the realm of top dollar hypercars and small-run specialty marques. Turbocharged V8s are lighter and can put out just as much power, and are likely cheaper to mass produce. Hell, even turbo V6 engines are to the point where they're putting out pretty respectable figures.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

Wow no ACR Neon? Thanks a lot Turn 10, I guess you care about what Johnny Turnwrench thinks and not what the real racers want. I'm trading this piece of poo poo in, I can't handle being owned up and down the street by bullshit cars and the only Neon I got is the SRT-4. SHAMEFUL.

If anyone needs me I'm going to be watching this all day:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6R1-4lVWoU

Thats me, I'm the younger brother.

Been reading comments in Turn 10's Youtube page again, have we?

Also, you forgot the part where you loudly say that you're going back to Gran Turismo 5 and then wait for someone to start groveling for you to stay.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

that craigslist ad posted:

Car overheated and cracked radiator, probable head gasket, possible cracked head. Needs engine repair. (...) I am not a mechanic so that's the problem to the best of my knowledge. (...) All 4 tires will need to be replaced. Car has been sitting about 2 years. (...) I will let it rot in my driveway, set it on fire, junk it, or make a couch out of it before I will sell it for less.
:psyduck:

He'd be lucky to get $2,000 from parting out the good bits of it and dumping the rest at the nearest Pick 'N Pull.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

azflyboy posted:

Possibly stupid question.

Are any of the cars required for the Japanese Tuner speedway challenge actually present in the normal game?

I'm working through the single player races, and the only car I can find that meets the restrictions for that event is the Mugen Civic, which can't be upgraded anywhere near being competitive with the AI cars.

Are all of the other pre-tuned cars unicorns or something?

The Rhys Millen Hyundai Genesis is eligible and it'll pretty much demolish everything without needing extra modifications, mainly because the AI doesn't understand how oval tracks work at all and stomps its brakes constantly when it doesn't need to.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Ringo Star Get posted:

Right before Foza 2 came out I got Forza 1 to "train" on. I traded it in towards Forza 2 and I realized I missed all the tracks Forza 1 had.

It had night courses!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80aYhSikAdg

I would love to have the Tokyo street course came a comeback, it was really technical and hard as balls if you just rammed upgrades into your car without taking the time to actually do any tuning.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

YF19pilot posted:

I meant more in the general "feel" of the track - the streets, highway, random semi-trailers on the track.

If you're talking about the track that's in that linked video, that was the dockside point-to-point track (which in all honesty was kinda bleh). The Tokyo course was more like an F1-style street course with proper chicanes and a pit area and such.

Also, the original New York track had this odd tunnel section that made it a lot more challenging, before they cut it out in the Forza 2 version and just made it two drag strips with a hairpin on each end. I think the pit area was originally in that tunnel area too, can't remember.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

So, are the Vauxhall Insignia VXR's seats bolted directly to the floor? I can barely see over the steering wheel and going uphill is kind of frightening from the lack of seeing actual roadway.

I mean, it drives really nice for a modern AWD sedan and all, but I wasn't really expecting a Richard Hammond experience.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Ether Frenzy posted:

For every one nugget of useful information about Forza/Horizon/Whatever the unannounced news is that neoGAF digs up, they come up with about 4000 idiotic and speculative nonsense theories that, repeated over two pages, eventually become basis for some even more wild and ridiculous conjecture, definitive pedantic statements and concern-trolling over imaginary game development entities they invented 3 pages prior.

The best is when they use google translate to translate some 19th tier French blog, the translation ends up gibberish but that's no hurdle - simply turn it into some riddle that they then "solve".

Then BADNED shows up with a cryptic one-line comment in Croatian or whatever it is he speaks and everyone freaks out with doubts in the "solution", and the process starts anew.

I think I liked it better when speculative "game journalism" was just people misinterpreting some bullshit fluff piece that Kotaku made a big deal of to drive up their pageviews. This is getting almost to the level of "my uncle who works at Nintendo told me..." nonsense.

I personally don't think whatever announcements they make are going to be nearly as groundshaking as everyone's making it out to be, but that's just the cynical side of me speaking that's seen too many M-M-M-MEGATON ANNOUNCEMENTS by game companies be nothing more than stuff barely worth mentioning in a list of patch notes.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Finally got the achievement for getting a 4 star drift. After hours of trying in a Trueno Sprinter on Kaido, I got it going around the last corner on Suzuka in a 57 Bel Air. Yay logic. Then I tried to drift an LMP. No luck there.

Bernese Alps is a great place to practice drifting, as I found out in the monthly drift challenge. Lots of wide sweeping corners that give a decent margin for error when going sideways, even in a big monster like the Corvette-engined Impala SS I was using.

Scirocco Griffon fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Mar 4, 2012

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Holy gently caress. Can I buy that design? :stare:

Do a storefront search for the GT "Sp33dySC1978" and it should come up. Haven't have time to make a proper version of my own, but seeing how I learned to drive in a decomm'd Caprice cruiser and this is the closest I'll probably get to that, I simply had to have the old rat rod back.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

As usual the Forza forums haven't yielded any real information, just some idiot speculation about whether RUF will have to be cut to put Porsche in because I guess Porsche doesn't like outside tuning firms for some reason. I'm pretty sure Turn 10 won't do that because removing cars like that would probably break something severely.

As far as Forza Horizon or whatever goes, if it turns out to be like Test Drive Unlimited but not ugly and broken and obviously slanted towards certain cars being the I Win Buttons of the game, then it should be fun.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

I think the randomness of traffic and inherent nature of open-world games will quickly nullify any advantage certain cars have.

In traffic, the 1500hp Supra is just as fast as the 600hp Ferrari.

TDU2 was basically "buy Veyron, win game", but then that was more due to traffic being fairly light on highway sections even at the heaviest setting, the general lack of races in city areas, and the game's handling model just not being balanced very well.

But then again I'd be buying a Forza-style TDU game just for the ability to go cruising and exploring with awesome cars, so I guess the quality of the overall game world would be my major concern. Ibiza and Hawaii felt really empty and abandoned in TDU2, there wasn't much to really see aside from the obvious photography hotspots.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Hello Spaceman posted:

You're all forgetting the most important thing about Horizon being a potential TDU clone.

Forza cops won't have rubberband AI.

I'd rather they didn't exist at all. Random unavoidable police chases are usually the most tedious and unentertaining part of any open world racing game. As a standalone game mode they're fine, but if I'm driving around the world map at least let me enjoy my drat car on my own terms.

Also, found this interesting in that article:

that article posted:

Greenawalt also stressed that EA wasn't looking to outright block the vehicles from being used in the Forza series. "EA wanted to bring Porsche into Forza Motorsport, they were not against it, we just had to find the right terms that gave equity to the license."

"I actually think this is an everybody wins situation. Business is business, and we just had to figure out common terms. At the end of the day, everyone wanted to bring Porsche to the fans. It would be hard for me to get bitter about it because I saw the whole process go down, and I know there was no ill will on anybody's part, it's just that licensing deals can be complex, especially between two companies that both sell games in the same space."

I'm fairly sure it was mostly EA wanting to have first dibs on putting new Porsches in their game first, but on the plus side this will probably create a surge of interest in Forza right around the time most players would be looking for something else, and probably bring in more people who passed on it the first time.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I said come in! posted:

According to here; http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/en-us/porsche_expansion_announce/ the expansion pack will be $20. A bit steep, but considering how much time ive put into Forza, i'm okay with that. It'll launch May 22nd.

Considering they could have just as easily broken it up into three 10-car packs, charged $10 apiece for them and not offered any more new content beyond that, $20 isn't really that bad a price.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Sarcasm or is Ferrari that particular?

Ferrari is really protective of their brand, especially when it comes to their cars shown as being used for something illegal. NFS3 wouldn't let you use Ferraris in Hot Pursuit mode, and that's why they weren't in the HP remake at all.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

This post is 100% better if you read it in Hammond's voice.

You also have to follow it up with a loud "Oh, RUBBISH" in Clarkson's voice for the full effect.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

General Probe posted:

At least it's good incentive to drive a variety of cats.

I hear Garfield will be in next month's DLC. :v:

Seriously though, after you break 25 the exp requirement seems to plateau at... I think 100,000 exp per level. I've got Chevy up to level 31 and there hasn't been any exponential increase in how much exp is needed.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

I hope Turn 10 names the expansion "Porsche Unleashed" just for old times sake.

EA probably has a copyright on that name, you know.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I said come in! posted:

I wouldn't say it uses it outright, but there are a lot of situations where cars have a lot less grip than they should. Forza gets it pretty close to right.

In a lot of cases the driveability of a car in GT5 seems to be directly proportional to how cool Kaz thinks it is. Granted Turn 10 probably fudged the data on certain cars to make them more competitive, too.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Thoughts so far:

The Ultima looks hideous, but it's 110,000 credits and that is an amazing price for a midlevel R3 car. The only thing that really holds it back is that it's on street tires at stock, with race slicks it turns into a demon. A really gawky looking demon, but a demon nonetheless. Also, OCD-havers beware 'cause you'll have three more affinity badges to grind up now.

The Corvair is disappointingly tame. I figured it wasn't going to be roll over and die bad, but the back end doesn't really step out that much unless you hit a corner way too aggressively. Turn 10 must've remembered that the rear tire pressures need to be different from the fronts.

The Alfa GTV-6 has a ridiculous amount of aero/dressup options. I don't even know what's going on with the second hood option, but I'm pretty sure that many air intakes aren't necessary. Also there's something really odd going on with the windshield, it has some kind of double rectangle lines on it... is that supposed to be there? :confused:
E: Never mind, I just figured it out... it's one of those bizarre radio antennas that's sandwiched in between the layers of glass.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Next time let's take the interstate. The traffic on these backroads is just terrible!

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

So the new rivals events are up, and I'm looking at the drift challenge.

How the hell do you only get 7 points on one lap? For that matter, how the hell does it end up being a dirty lap? I didn't even know that was possible.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

When do they start handing out the gift cars?

They usually start the same day the DLC goes live, but it takes a few days for them to get them all sorted out. With all the free unicorns going out from the KoTT event, I'm not really expecting instant results.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Wait a minute. He had a dirty lap? What does that mean for the contest?

It means his current laptime is likely just a placeholder since he probably didn't have time to sit down and play for too long. Rampage's initial time was a dirty lap too.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Idiot race posted:

Wait did rampage actually set a faster time with a clean lap? I mean I got into the low 1.40s iirc but his time was a dirty 1.50 something?

He set a clean lap like a week after the contest started, but it was less than a half second faster than his initial dirty lap (and still slower than my initial warmup lap from a standing start, ha). I kinda suspect someone from Turn 10 logged onto that gamertag and put in a clean lap to keep the contest from being a total pushover.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

It would be pretty ridiculous to change their own rules regarding clean laps trumping dirty ones just because the celebrity they picked can't be bothered to not cut a corner or do more than two laps.

Personally I think they have them intentionally log a dirty lap to start out with just to get more people to enter thinking they'll get an easy unicorn, so that way when they send out all the participation cars then people will be more likely to buy the DLC pack to use them since that's what they were stuck with. I mean, you look at the leaderboard for any monthly event just before it ends and roughly 90% of the times are one-and-done deals that were set in the first week, so they're obviously not closely monitoring if/when the celebrity laptime changes.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

So I just got the "thanks for bothering" car for last month's KotT.

Whoever painted it f'ed up on the license plate on the back and the outlining on the grille is noticably off-center. Not to mention the entire thing literally looks like something I could have slapped together in 10 minutes with stuff bought on the storefront. I know this blinged-up Bentley is the most worthless car in the entire game, but come ON. Was this a booby prize? At least it can be sold for 275,000 credits.

And now I just noticed the paint scheme on the Huayra from the CJ Wilson event is slightly crooked too. :ughh: I think I'll just pass on King of the Track events from now on, this is shameful.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

General Probe posted:

Also lol EA "instead of getting some money out of this license in it's remaining few months we'll get NO money because we're stubborn idiots."

They probably only cared about having the only racing game with Porsches in it over the holiday season, not that it mattered when word got out that The Run was just QTE's On Wheels.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Cannot Find Server posted:

It makes me sad that the Need for Speed used to be such a good series and now it's just so, so bad. They haven't made a game worth a poo poo since Most Wanted.

Shift 2 was a pretty good game for what it was, but EA stupidly tried to market it as a Forza/Gran Turismo killer when it really isn't in the same category as those games at all. Hot Pursuit had fun multiplayer when you didn't have losers bawling about the cops using their abilities (which was bizarrely often).

The "playable movie" games Black Box has done are terrible though, yeah.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

Didn't EA lose their NASCAR license too?

I think they just let it expire. The series had really stagnated due to nobody else being able to make a proper competitor (yay exclusive licensing again), so it wasn't selling for poo poo the last couple years.

They should probably just let Criterion take over the NFS franchise completely and make it Burnout: Now With Real Cars. Either that or just put it on hiatus until people forget what an unfocused mess it's become.

Unrelated Edit: I never really noticed how gigantic the steering wheels on old cars were until now. Dude looks like he's driving a bus:

Scirocco Griffon fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Mar 12, 2012

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

They've said there's been a delay in getting the unicorn prize cars out, but they're making an effort to do that this week. I'm guessing they're putting full priority on having the title update fixed and ready ASAP since the servers are broken as hell right now.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

General Probe posted:

Also on that note does anyone know if T10 have conceded that the ingame economy is perma broken after the random credit fiasco and we'll never see a Unicorn in the Auction House necessitating them having all these challenges?

Unicorn auctions were pretty much just to trap credit glitchers anyway, they never actually auctioned off any of the desirable ones. Though it was funny to see people blatantly announcing they were cheating by putting in 90 million+ credit bids on an '07 Shelby like a month after the game was released.

I imagine they'll start doing more community based stuff with choose-your-own unicorn prizes to increase forum traffic soon, once the DLC schedule is finally over.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

mattdizzleZ28 posted:

:( E/N: How could they get it so wrong and drifting gets so much attention, to this day "Need for speed: Prostreet" was the best example of drag racing in a game. (and half mile and mile long drags? What the hell is that poo poo?)

There are a lot more doriftu nerds and they whine a lot louder on the Forza forums about how they deserve attention, basically.

To be honest I wouldn't mind something like Shift 2's 8-lane standing mile drag, those got pretty interesting when the cars were close to evenly matched.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Hahahaha the unicorn Camaro paint job is laughably bad.

Mine hasn't come through yet. I demand pictures!

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I like how the picture of Rampage they used on the unicorn Camaro makes him look like a total fatty. It kind of accentuates the overall :effort: feel of the paint scheme. Though to be honest, I do like the base layout of the design, I'm kinda tempted to make a textless version on my other Camaro uni that has more appropriate wheels and no pointless window tint.

Also, EGAPMAR.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Flint Ironstag posted:

I was wondering why I wasn't able to play in that contest, but quickly forgot about it and got on with my life.

But, hey, bonus MS points! Sometimes being the outcast pays off.

Save those points until May and you've essentially gotten the Porsche expansion for free. Not too bad of a consolation prize at all!

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

Mac Tonight posted:

My first unicorn. It is bittersweet. Goddamnit that challenge was bad.

Now you only need to get nine more to finish out that badge set in your profile. Isn't that a comforting thought? :q:

Of course with my luck I'll probably be one short and never get that badge either.

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

I think that happens to everyone eventually, things just don't fall into place or everyone else just happens to be having a better run of luck. I usually take that as a sign to back off from online racing for a couple days before it starts to become frustrating and cause a "gently caress this game" attitude to form.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scirocco Griffon
Feb 3, 2012

xzzy posted:

I guess they figured that "mirror from right/left side" feature would satisfy everyone. Too bad they were wrong!

The vinyl system in general is horribly broken, it still feels like baby's first attempt at allowing user generated content. I keep hoping the next iteration of Forza rebuilds the system from scratch, but it hasn't happened yet.

Considering how more than a few folks have gotten insanely proficient with the current system, I'm not banking on it. I don't think they want to risk chasing off the artist community by rewriting the livery designer and accidentally making it worse than it is, especially since Turn 10 considers them as one of Forza's biggest selling points.

• Locked thread