Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

I just checked my Amazon order for the LCE and its now eligible for release date shipping! I had to manually change it from 2-day, so check yours too if you ordered from them. :woop:

I also thank you for this! Just did the same thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Minimaul posted:

If it's like the previous games you'll move to the front of the grid as you progress, or as you mod your cars. In career the highest PI car is at the start.

I think it will be interesting to see how this plays out with AI cars getting modded too. At the least that should fix up the one-make races where just to fill out the field, you have one ringer at S700, a couple As, a B, and a D-classer bringing up the rear.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

So I'm trying to begin playing without ABS on the controller. What's the right way to brake? Pulse rapidly? This isn't easy :(.

Squeeze it down slowly. You wouldn't ever just jump all on the brakes as hard as you can in a real car, would you?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Isn't braking distance increased without it though?

You'll actually end up with shorter braking distances with ABS off. Absolute maximum braking force is when you keep the tires on the ragged edge of lockup, and ABS can't quite do that. ABS is in a constant cycle of "OH poo poo LOCKUP" -> let off the brakes a bit until lockup stops -> "Oh, no lockup?" -> Back to full pressure -> "OH poo poo LOCKUP".

Without ABS, as you get more skilled, you'll be able to find and keep the brakes at that point between full lockup and none whatsoever, and you'll stop harder and be able to brake later.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

Please say I'm not the only person who will force every person who visits my house to run the Top Gear track and put their times on a powerboard.

Here's the Top Gear powerboards for each car and F1 drivers, so you can compare to celebrities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Top_Gear_test_track

Are you going to interview them as well?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Never played any of the Forza games before, but I'm planning on picking this one up. I do not currently own an Xbox 360, and I see there are several different versions available. Is the 4gb arcade model enough to play this game, or do I need one of the ones with a larger HDD?

If you're planning on installing both discs - and you really should - you might want more. That said, you can use up to (I think?) a 16GB USB flash drive as storage now and that should juuuust be enough to let you install both discs and all of the DLC you can stand.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

siig posted:

I can gift some LFAs, I have many millions of FM3 credits sitting around not doing anything. Send me a friend request, my gt is rgoer (yes misspelled like that), I'll gift LFAs tomorrow morning.

Won't turn down an offer like that, just sent you a friend request.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I redeemed my code for the WRX STI and grabbed the M5 from the marketplace. Checking my queue I only see the one item - I think the 370.93MB one is indeed all of the exclusive pre-order cars stuck into one item, so that people who didn't pre-order get the models.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cream_Filling posted:

I am disappointed that the new 5.0 Mustang somehow didn't get on that car list, though. I am assuming it's going to be DLC eventually, though. Also, a 90s era Sentra SE-R would be kickin' rad, but then we're reaching into "wut I want list" territory.

Really? It was in Forza3, that's kinda lame.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That HKS Lancer is a loving bastard to drive. Wants to push EVERYWHERE.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

einTier posted:

Every time I turn around there is some minor or not so minor aspect that was improved from F4. Most of which were exactly the kinds of things the fans were either complaining about or wanted to see. For instance, I just finished a dual class race, which we'd tried to do several times in GTCC, but now it's a thing, not just a hack that everyone agrees upon doing for a specific race.

To be fair, T10 managed to work that into one of the post-release updates for Forza 3 as well. Loads of fun, and I bet it works much better with 12-16 car grids instead of 8.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Asmodai_00 posted:

I have a tiny soft spot for Mustangs. I just need to get a good paint job on it.

I think I do too...now that I think about it, every time I've been presented with a Mustang as an option, I've taken it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This game.

Had a fun hour and change with the GTCC group, and then went after some of the rival challenges. Built a ringer Miata just for the C class at the Nurburgring and ended up with a 33rd fastest time.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

TannhauserGate posted:

Not only that, but they're still going for the all ages rating.

Does the engine just make one loud "FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK" for its sound or something?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlazeKinser posted:

We have LLJK, GISH as a secondary, and I guess also GTCC but I dunno if that's for serious racing only or what. Plus there will be Euro goon groups by the weekend as well.

GTCC is hardly "serious racing" guys. SynMoo kicked all of our asses in a loving Leaf.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlazeKinser posted:

Welp, there we go then. Get your asses to GTCC people, they've got insane hybrids over there too! And looks like only 24 members at current, so plenty of room!

For what it's worth - you should only be jumping into the GTCC group if you plan on getting in on the usual Wednesday night dilz-sucking shenanigans.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlazeKinser posted:

Sure enough is. And yes, it still drives like an oil tanker with a broken rudder.

So, completely accurate. With reasonably sticky tires, it was impossible to make my old 240 act up at all - no matter how fast you were going, if you cranked the wheel, it would just scrub speed and turn.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I am absolutely loving the autocross mode, partly because it gives me an excuse to find the lightest cars I can and do every mod I can fit under the PI cap for a given rivals challenge that reduces weight / increases grip. Adjust the gearing so I top out at ~110 in sixth and bam, top 100 times.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bodacious Bagel posted:

And if I don't have the race aero added, would the down force be... 0 lbs? I'm hopeless when it comes to tuning :shobon:

For the sake of tuning, yes. In the real world, most cars make very little downforce if any at all - spoilers and the like on your average production car are there for aesthetic reasons, or to reduce lift.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

PopeOnARope posted:

This makes for really, really annoying passing at times though. Not to mention they follow the braking lines entirely, which makes for heavy braking at the start of the winding section of The Alps for no reason.

There's always been spots like that for the Forza AI, though. Last corner on the Sedona road course (when run as a road course only), and the second left at Maple Valley are two big ones.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Four of those versus three GTB4s was pretty loving funny.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MrSaturn posted:

Not to be pedantic, but it's the clutch disc you're smelling. Some cars don't have hydraulically actuated clutches, and you can definitely still make them stink ;)

No, that's your Corsair's cylinder head dying again :v: </AI>

And yes, definitely the clutch disc itself. It smells like hell, usually.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

(which is exactly what happened at the indy 500 in the 80's, forcing the addition of additives to the fuel so you could see the flames)

What additives, when? Unless I'm totally missing something, it wasn't until they recently switched from methanol to ethanol that the fuel burned with any color, and they're switching to E85 next year.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Hello Spaceman posted:

:ssh: Don't tell anybody, but this was the inspiration.

:mad:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm just loving with you :)

I haven't even fired up Forza 4 in way too loving long. If I got the season pass, I just get the free pack on the market and bam, instant Bel Air and Typhoon?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kilonum posted:

Hey if I get those 800xbux it's going to the XBLA Daytona USA (already have the season pass).

ROLL-ING STAAAAAAART

(yes it's still just as fun as you remember)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AwwJeah posted:

That's amazing detail on the rust and rot.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

wolrah posted:

AWD PI calculation was broken in FM3, so comparing equal PI cars between the two games anything AWD will be slower in FM4.

Stock vs. stock it should be similar though.

More accurately, for the same specs (power, weight, etc) the car should behave very similarly. However, in FM4 the PI will be considerably higher than the PI in FM3 for an identically-specced car due to that AWD recalculation.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Kee-RHIST. 787B? That's pretty much second only to the Lotus 49, and the odds of getting that in this game are exactly zero.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Caprice 9C1 (even if it has an Impala badge)? Check.
Charger Police? Check.

The game hungers even more for either a CVPI or a Marauder now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Someone needs to get Long Beach into a goddamn video game (e: one made since ~1995) already.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Ringo Star Get posted:

Had a few beers and I ordered the CSR shifters for my Fanatec.

What do you do for cars with 7 gears?

I was going to say something about the new 911 with a seven-speed and a real stick but then I remembered that this is Forza :smith:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Low-gear-count automatics, especially the 'glide, are popular in drag racing for one big reason: durability, followed very shortly by cost. When you want to hold up to 1000hp for pass after pass after pass, you want nice big gears and a very simple system, which compared to any modern transmission, a two or three speed automatic is. They're also lighter than modern automatics, and much cheaper.

This is one area Forza still has a big problem. It's not like drag racers don't want to keep their engines near peak power too - but since high gearcounts didn't exist until recently for drag racing (and even those are extremely expensive, like a Lenco box) they had to find other solutions. The one they came up with? High-stall torque converters. To grossly simplify things, a torque converter has an RPM where it stops slipping. On a normal car this is usually somewhere near 1200-1800 RPM. A mild street/strip converter may raise this to 2200-2800 RPM, whereas a full race setup will go much higher - Summit shows that you can get a torque converter for a powerglide that stalls at 8000RPM. What that means is with a stall like that, when you mash the gas, the engine will go to 8000RPM near-instantaneously - and with the black magic that only an automatic can handle, it will stay there until the vehicle is moving fast enough so that the input shaft is actually also turning at 8000RPM.

So where does Forza fail at this? It models all transmissions as clutched, stick-shifted manuals. It does not properly simulate torque converters, sequential boxes, or anything else. The only way it could model something like that 8000RPM stall would be to just treat it as clutch slip, instead of torque multiplication.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

GOD IS BED posted:

MX-5 = Miata :ssh:

I'm 99% certain they call the NC Miata just the MX-5 in this game, since at least originally Mazda was going to drop the Miata name.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Even if the car list had been the 787B, the Quattro S1, and then eight versions of the NSX (which would still be less than GT5, I think!), it would be worth every penny.

Edit: Now I just really hope they get an Opel GT in eventually (the original, not the Kappa) and maybe some more open-cockpit prototypes. McLaren M8D?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I would love to have changing conditions, but it's something that would require far more horsepower than the 360 has to offer. iRacing is probably the only other sim out there that puts as much (or greater) emphasis on the driving experience as Forza, and like Forza, dynamic weather is not something they have chosen to focus on when there are improvements to be made to things like the tire models and aerodynamics.

They do have night racing, but I really do think the only thing holding that back is the 360's capabilities. Other weather conditions would require additional changes to physics models.

Let's put it another way. Which would you rather have in Forza 5 - wet/night, or open wheeled cars like the Caterham, Atom, and god only knows how many race cars?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Simplify *kick* and add lightness! *uppercut*

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

81 in GTCC, por favor.

Also, the Pinto is a hell of an autocrosser. :whatup:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The days of the homologation special are past us, honestly. It made sense when if you wanted to build a truly competitive racecar you had to build something wildly different than your normal street cars (Superbird, Aerocoupe, first two GTOs, 323GTX, etc) but these days, there's not enough money in production-based racing to justify it. 50 years ago a win at Le Mans could translate into sales, but not so much today.

The current financial climate for passenger cars means a homologation special just wouldn't sell well enough to justify the expense of building it and certifying it for road use, and probably wouldn't result in a big enough advantage over the production-based competition to matter. Regular production cars these days are just drat good...if you can find a series where it fits, you can build a viable race car out of nearly anything on a showroom floor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Cannot Find Server posted:

1940's radio announcer voice :colbert:

I suddenly had flashbacks to RTCW:ET and the gold heist map.

• Locked thread