Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

MUFFlNS posted:

I feel the same way, the only new tracks I'm excited for is the Bernese Alps (which is fantastic to drive around) and Infineon. I suppose I'd be more excited if all five of the new tracks were ones I like but considering we're losing a few tracks already (New York, Amalfi full, Bugatti Circuit at La Sarthe) along with the Porsche license, I think it would have been better if they just released DLC for Forza 3 instead of making a new game since the new content is minimal and we could have kept the missing tracks and Porsche. Ok so the physics were terrible but Turn 10 could have just patched them anyways.

I mean with the jump from GT3 to GT4 they at least piled on a ridiculous amount of new tracks and cars so there was plenty to justify the jump. Well, you could also say improved lighting and physics too (hurr) but that's to be expected with sequels anyways so I don't consider it a sufficient selling point for any game.

I guess the real stinger though is that this game will have day 1 DLC, which I just find really cheeky when they're not exactly packing that much new content on the disc in the first place anyways. It's not like they've run out of space considering the second disc is less than a quarter full so holding back content is a dick move in my eyes. I'm probably gonna skip buying the game new and buy a cheap used copy in a couple months, or just wait for the "gently caress all of you who bought our game" edition with all the DLC and exclusive content in a years time.

Of course if the new tracks comprised of the Alps, Infineon, Bathurst, Spa, Brands Hatch etc I'd be all over this :swoon:

We've reached a plateau for content. They could have every car and track in existence and it wouldn't really matter because stuffing all of that into the regular racing game mould wouldn't be progress.

Instead T10 has improved on things that needed improving; expanded on other ideas; and implemented completely new ones.

Where Gran Turismo 5 accrued licenses left, right and centre, T10 partnered up with one licensee - Top Gear - to create something new and worthwhile.
You can have your opinion about the lighting, looks are subjective, but the new physics system is objectively the best we've seen in a modern [accessible] sim racer.
We have rivals, trackdays, improved driver progression and new community features. Then there's the career mode that lets you use the one car you like the most, for almost all your races.

Or would you rather buy fifty Skylines and have a 47-race grind series that takes you around the world in each car?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Since we don't yet know whether profile import for the LFA will work, if you don't actually own the Stig's Garage Pack, I'd like to put my name down if somebody's willing to gift me one. Hey, it's potentially one more free car, right?

GT: Hello Spaceman

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Dr JonboyG posted:

Welp, I think my Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel is having a complete mental loving breakdown. Fired up GT5 a bit earlier (graphics better than I remembered, only took 30 minutes from turning the PS3 on to start playing, what with all the updates) and despite having taken my Clubsport pedals apart this morning to lubricate the brake, I started getting the same problem I was having before where the brake shows 10-15% pressure when I'm not touching it. Switched back to Forza 4 and it started going bananas - pausing and unpausing the game at almost 10 Hz, which shouldn't have anything to do with the pedals because none of them control pausing the game! I switched over to the CSR Elite pedals and the problems remained, so I think that it's the wheel, or possibly both the wheel and the pedals that are hosed. I'm getting to the point where I want them to replace both, because this is just loving annoying.

If you're reading this and are panicking now because you just bought a CSR, don't worry, that wheel hasn't been giving me any problems! Any other PTSW owners having similar problems?

I did see a Senna/Suzuka Rival challenge, yes. I'll take closer look at it tomorrow and report back.

Hmm. Do you think a firmware flash might fix it?

siig posted:

I can gift some LFAs, I have many millions of FM3 credits sitting around not doing anything. Send me a friend request, my gt is rgoer (yes misspelled like that), I'll gift LFAs tomorrow morning.

<3 you. Request sent!

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Disgustipated posted:

Which car are you guys doing this with?

Zonda.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Unlike DrJonBoyG I am but a lowly journalist and Microsoft only got around to sending me my NFR review copy today. :q:

And I'm not bragging :(
I'm just relieved I'll be able to play it at release with my race bros itt. I'll still be buying an LCE copy when it lands here on Friday.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

FizzyJuffoWup posted:

Sup gaming journalist buddy. :hfive:

Just got my review copy too because they were late with the shipment. There goes my entire day.

I wish I was a gaming journo (I do motoring).
I've gotta work all day and until about 9pm :(

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Okay for those who got the Lexus LFA, I can confirm that it does import even if you didn't own the Stig's Garage Pack/Ultimate Edition.

I can regift the LFA I have (and cannot use) in FM3, for anybody who wants it.

Secret import is DeLorean. You get eight cars for being level 50 in FM3, 3 cars for being a former VIP and I got five unicorns on import (I didn't have the old Chev in FM3).

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Deeters posted:

I'll take it and gladly re-gift it to the next person who wants it.

GT: Deltavictor12

Sorry guy, I already gifted it to a friend (who got me on IM) :(
I am sure there are plenty of folks here who'd be willing to regift their FM3 LFA, after importing. Especially now that we know it works.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
The guy who did sound design for this game deserves a Nobel prize or something. I'm driving along on Fujimi now. Along the edges of the track is some dirt and leaves. When you stray off the line and hit that dirt, you hear it spraying up into the wheel arches. ffffffffffffffffffffff

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Falken posted:

Remember that the LF-A and 458 Italia are both reward cars for the career mode too.

Also gosh darn, those engine sounds...

Spaceman, how does the Ferrari 355 Challenge sound? It was an angry angry girl in FM2 with the exhaust mods, but sounded kind of dumbed down in 3.

Simply. Glorious. Took one to Suzuka, in free drive mode, and it has all sorts of sonorous dynamism. A bellow into a howl into a metallic shriek.

I might have to buy one now, just to mod it and listen to it.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/50574/ForzaBigshot.jpg

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I want a 1M. None of the places here had it as a preorder bonus :(

Preorder cars are not in the game. At least, they're not in their respective dealers. I'm going with "on-disc DLC that's unlockable using a code".

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I've never seen so much pre-release drama for a game. Cancelled preorders. Delayed shipping. And all this during a national holiday for you Americans.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Start that kid young. He has 16 years for you to wean him off all those assists and turn him into a proper race driver.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Fraser CDN posted:

TRACKING DETAILS

PIN XXXXXXXXXX
Status On vehicle for delivery
Date/Time OCTOBER 11, 2011 AT 08:07

I don't want to be a backseat mod, but let's not turn the thread into a delivery tracking service :(

Rather talk about how awesome the game is, when you get it.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ringo Star Get posted:

Getting a text from goons to go pick up Forza 4 is like having a bunch of alcoholics to go to the store to buy more beer :3:

:q:

Acky posted:

I was stupid and deleted the message about getting my 60000cr, now I dont know how, so how do I get it? :V

Pushing A on that message would cash in the voucher. It's confusing because it says "check the online bank to get the cash" and I spent half an hour looking for the bank in multiplayer menus. Eventually I pushed A and it gave me the money. Sorry. You're poor :(

Ghetto Blaster posted:

Has anyone lapped the Top Gear track yet, is it fun?

I did. It's very tricky because it's all flat. Do a few sighting laps using chase camera before trying a fast lap from a cockpit view (because you do use only cockpit view, like a real man, don't you? :colbert: )

JaysonAych posted:

Has anyone tried to upload a Big Shot yet? It says it's there in the game, but it didn't save to my HDD, and it's not on My Forza.

It's not very intuitive when it comes to telling you where it is.
Go to My Forza on FM.net and then view your ENTIRE gallery. There's a link on the right-hand side to download bigshot.bmp LOL GET READY FOR A 27MB BITMAP

Hello Spaceman fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Oct 11, 2011

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

JaysonAych posted:

Awesome, thanks very much! The quality on those are amazing, though way too huge to upload to imgur.

I just compress them as JPGs and they go down to about 4MB. Dump 'em on Dropbox and all is well.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Idiot race posted:

Anyone whos got the game care to say if the wheels selection is any better this time?

No. There are only two styles from Rays Engineering :(

In fact most manufacturers have between one and three wheels, with only four manfs having four styles on offer.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

How much does the full install cut down on loading times?

I didn't do a before/after comparison, but I can tell you this: in FM3 when you load your game at the start, it takes like a minute. Loading your game in FM4 takes 10 seconds tops.

Also :siren: Sigma One and I have set up the GTCC car club. :siren:

It's called Goons in Saloons. And the tag, obviously, is GTCC.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

JaysonAych posted:

It says it's invitation only. I'd be happy for an invite! GT: DaytonaTurboJ

Can't have just any old shitlords joining :v:

Sigma did invite you. Residency, I'll send you a friend request to invite you.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Linux Nazi posted:

I know this thread is in it's great game was just-released afterglow and all that, so a question like this may get buried in the anticipatory posts , but...

As a huge Gran Turismo fan, would this game be worth picking up? I've not really been following this game and I'm curious to know what gameplay similarities it shares with GT5. Is FM4 more arcade-oriented? Is it a pseudo-simulator like the GT series? How are the controls similar? If somebody has an article that goes into it I would love to read it.

It looks pretty great, but I've never played FM3 even, as it seemed to be oriented towards people wanting to drive $500,000+ supercars around racetracks rather than souping up a '94 Acura and driving it through a circuit that only allows 90s japanese autos.

Growing up on Gran Turismo, and having recently actually had fun playing GT5 at a buddy's house, I can say, "you won't regret getting this, if you are honestly interested in how cars drive".

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

SynMoo posted:

You don't speak for the GTCC, sir. You've squatted on a tag that does not belong to you.

This is not the official car club of the GTCC.

Wouldn't be a launch day without goon drama, would it?

http://gtcc.us

Jesus okay. I thought I'd do you fuckers a favour and set it up, and relinquish OWNERSHIP of the loving acronym to whomever ends up racing more often. Sorry I'm not part of your cool club synmoo. I'm really sorry.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

siig posted:

How long do you guys think it will be before non-Best Buy preorder people can buy a BMW 1M?

Calling it now: the five preorder cars are on-disc DLC that'll make up half of the first DLC pack. Too bad I know this, yet still bought a season pass.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Jarf posted:

If any of you are German you may be interested in this.

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/BMW_M5_Forza_Cup/

You can win yourself a brand new 2012 BMW M5 if you're fast enough.

Jesus :psypop:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
It's fairly obvious, but for anybody who's a complete novice, here are two money-making protips:

1) When you do rivals challenges and you beat your opponent, quit out and collect money. Don't continue driving. You only get money for beating that opponent. If you continue driving, you set a faster lap time, and earn a tougher rival, but with no monetary gain.

2) When you are beating your rival's ghost by A COUNTRY MILE then start sandbagging the lap. If you have a better time in you, save it for a harder rival. Remember, each one you beat is another 50k in the pocket.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

GreatGreen posted:

Is it possible to buy the VIP car pack separate if you didn't get the LCE?

Not right now, but eventually, yes.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Comrade Flynn posted:

What's a good wireless headset? Can you not use a normal bluetooth headset with the Xbox?

Maybe get that new dual-mode Xbox wireless headset. It lets you use it as a wireless mic for gaming, and doubles up as a Bluetooth headset for your phone. Because... yeah. :wtc:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Thread needs more pics.

This is my car. I like it more in FM4 than in real life. Because it doesn't get dirty. And spends far less time at Renault dealerships.
Other than that, they behave virtually identically when driven hard.

I'm in the Civic. Weltmeisters, in the 240SX, applied too much corrective lock. Clearly.

Too pretty.

fffffffffff

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I've always said those pro laptimes, 4 seconds faster than anybody else, had to be cheating.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ringo Star Get posted:

Rumor is that when EA's license expires in December, Porsche is not going to renew it with them.

If this rumour becomes fact I will not give a poo poo about season pass, should they release a $20 DLC pack with 30 Porsches. But we know it won't happen.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

I said come in! posted:

So much for taking two years to get level 150; http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Profile.aspx?gt=Malc%2071

Achievement unlocked: Colostomy Brag

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
I'm just waiting for the goddamn preorder cars pack. gently caress rear end I want a 1M to complete my BMW collection.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

leakymeat. posted:

I'm new to this series, and enjoying it so far. I just did a spec race with nothing but stock Hemi 'Cudas, and it was glorious.

Anyway, I keep seeing references to drag racing. Is that actually in the game, and if so, where do I find it?

There are four drag venues, each with strips of varying lengths: Top Gear, Sedona, Infineon and Benchmark Test Track.

Just take any car there and go wild.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Ringo Star Get posted:

I would pay someone to make a vinyl of my face.

1000 layers is not enough for your beard.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Hey, I raced with some of you guys last night and was doing poorly (because I don't have an F200 car ). The last race I took part in was Fujimi Kaido downhill, and I was disconnected from Live as the race ended.

Upside: The game thinks I finished in first place and gave me more money.
Downside: People think I'm a butthurt last-placing jerk.

I just wanted to clear that up.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Serves him right for putting loving oversized chrome wheels on a Lotus.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Thanks for the vintage F1 stuff to whoever posted it, very interesting documentary. Men were loving MEN back in day.

"Back when the champions were men, sex was safe, and motorsport was dangerous."

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Sup guys I had a BRAINWAVE.

And the best part:

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Humerus posted:

Oh god tell me this on the storefront.

Also, re: Having the Stig drive in replays, do you notice that it turns every driver into the Stig? It kinda took away the charm when I first noticed. Still cool though.

Yah I put it up, after realising my comedy could make me CHRIS TUCKER RICH.

GT: Hello Spaceman.
Or just search for "A vent a door"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Sunday Punch posted:

I think it occurred to someone else too.

:ssh: Don't tell anybody, but this was the inspiration.

• Locked thread