Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Has anyone watched Intacto? I've been hearing it's pretty cool, but I can't bring myself to watch it because I am extremely lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Speaking of Adam Scott, Party Down might be my favorite tv show. Only two seasons of it, but you'll recognize some familiar faces: Jane Lynch is in it, eventually replaced by Megan Mullally. Scott is a failed actor who rejoins his day job at a catering company. His only real success was a beer commercial, and its spectre is a running theme/joke as people keep bringing it up. Honestly might be one of the funniest shows I've watched - whip-smart and never built around an easy one-liner. Takes an episode or two to get into, get familiar with the characters, and then you're hooked.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It honestly could've gone a few more seasons, I mean the whole premise of the show is that the catering gig is a dumping ground for people who are "between things". On the other hand, almost no show survives losing most of its cast.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I think they only technically lost Jane Lynch when she went to Glee. Starz cancelled the show after two seasons and Adam Scott quickly jumped to Parks and Rec.

foodfight
Feb 10, 2009
The manager on that show is one of the funniest characters on a sitcom ever.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The second season is better than the first because Jane Lynch is gone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

penismightier posted:

The second season is better than the first because Jane Lynch is gone.

How dare you. I first started watching not because of Adam Scott but because of Ken Marino. How that guy never got a big break, I'll never guess.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
Gentlemen, gentlemen. I personally am conflicted over Jane Lynch because my love for Christopher Guest movies is in an epic battle with my unabiding hatred for Glee. But I think we can all agree that Party Down is fantastic.

Ken Marino is awesome. Since this whole thread is about this, anyone else watch Reaper? It's about a college dropout whose parents sold his soul to the devil, and he has to deal with the consequences. Marino plays a gay demon. It's...honestly pretty good.

ninja edit: I must admit that I have sort of a boner for modern depictions of Satan and the Grim Reaper.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

The Perfect Host

Let me second this movie. It got bad reviews, but it's really a case where the critics just didn't really get the film. There's really something fascinating about David Hyde Pierce's performance, and it really does give something to the film. In fact, a lot of the criticism I've seen about the film is just plain-wrong (in fact, the New York Times review seems to ignore a very critical point).

The only weakness is the ending. For whatever reason, they decided to tie things up a little too much, so there's a point where things just go on to make a neat little ending. But aside from that, the characters are well-rounded, there is a good amount of tension in the film, and as stated, it's loving Niles Crane going crazy. What's not to love?

DONT DO IT
Jun 5, 2008

this level will be fun guys
My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done - Werner Herzog does David Lynch. Seems a lot of people hate it, but if you're a fan of Herzog or Lynch it deserves a viewing.

The Bothersome Man - A 'dystopian' film following a man mysteriously deposited in a perfectly serene but colorless city where every need is met. Norwegian dark comedy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done is Herzog doing Southland Tales, not David Lynch.

The Dittus
Dec 8, 2006
Pressure Cooker - a heartwarming feel good doc about inner city Philly kids who take a culinary class, make amazing food I couldn't even produce in a million years and work hard to get scholarships to college.

Red State - kind of indifferent about Kevin Smith and I was afraid this was going to be overtly preachy, but this film surprised me. Better than I was expecting.

Alfred Hitchcock Presents old school suspense by the o.g. himself. Great series, so happy it's up for Halloween.

andddd

ThanksKilling VERY low budget horror movie about a killer TALKING turkey. So great, watch NOW or save for Thanksgiving like I did last year. Gobble Gobble Mother Fucker!!!!

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

Cemetry Gator posted:

Let me second this movie. It got bad reviews, but it's really a case where the critics just didn't really get the film. There's really something fascinating about David Hyde Pierce's performance, and it really does give something to the film. In fact, a lot of the criticism I've seen about the film is just plain-wrong (in fact, the New York Times review seems to ignore a very critical point).

Holy crap. I just read the review you mentioned and seriously, how dense do you have to be? It's like the guy was watching the movie while finishing off a fifth of whiskey and reading a book at the same time.

The Dittus posted:

ThanksKilling VERY low budget horror movie about a killer TALKING turkey. So great, watch NOW or save for Thanksgiving like I did last year. Gobble Gobble Mother Fucker!!!!

Seconding this so loving hard. Last thanksgiving I thought I'd see just how low-budget and moronic a movie called "Thankskilling" could be. The first 10-15 minutes were utter crap and I was sure I had judged the film correctly. Then something amazing happened. I laughed. I laughed and laughed and didn't stop laughing. This is a golden nugget wrapped in cheap tin-foil. It's a movie that doesn't take itself seriously, and does a wonderful job of it. Don't expect any production value to speak of, just a movie that is way more entertaining than it has any right being. 5 star.

PonchtheJedi
Feb 20, 2004

Still got some work to do...

foodfight posted:

The Great Happiness Space

This is a documentary about Japanese host boys. The host boys pretty much just look pretty and try to get women to buy expensive booze. Its a fascinating doc that goes 'next level' once some things are revealed. Highly recommended.

I was blown away by this. Once the two big reveals were dropped, the game changed completely. I am still depressed about one of the girls in particular - the prostitute with the little dog. She seems so sad and lonely. I don't know if that was part of the act, since all of them were acting, but that girl stayed with me the longest. The idea of guys buying sex from these girls, and then the girls buying a feeling of companionship from the host boys...just insane. I also thought it was interesting when one of the hosts talks about how once they get a regular girl, if she's nice, they scold her to try and get them to make good decisions. It shows him telling her that she's being immature for upsetting her parents, trying to get her to act right. It was interesting to see the little hints that these guys weren't completely ripping these poor girls off.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My Son, My Son, What Have Ye Done is Herzog doing Southland Tales, not David Lynch.

Speaking of which, Southland Tales is on instant watch and absolutely rules. Everyone should watch it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Hellhouse

I'm a sucker for documentaries about weird subcultures, so I really enjoyed this film about an enclave of fundamentalist Christians who put on a haunted house for Halloween that's designed to scare people into joining their religion. It's basically a community theater production where people engage in enthusiastic tryouts to play the part of "rapist" and "gay guy dying of AIDS" (the most coveted role seems to be a girl who dies while getting an abortion) in moralistic vignettes, and the cognitive dissonance on display is simply amazing. Everybody's navigating a situation where they're excited to portray people and things they think are evil: there's a scene where a guy describes how he met his girlfriend while she was playing "suicide girl" and he was playing a demon tempting her to kill herself, and it gets really uncomfortable because the guy's obviously trying not to think about how hosed up his story is. It's also fascinating to see the way these people portray secular American culture.

I think it does a pretty good job getting inside the lives and culture of these people and letting them keep their dignity, but it also provides a good view of how repugnant many of their beliefs are. There's certainly a sense that these people could get pretty vicious with someone they consider an outsider.

Also There is a fantastic shot where they're making up a set where a satanic ritual will take place, and one of the dudes draws a star of David instead of a pentagram.

DirtyCheeseburgers
Apr 15, 2003

College Slice
Great thread. I just added a good half dozen things to my queue.

I'd also like to mention that if you don't live in the US, this website will let you use their Netflix (as well as Hulu/etc etc). I'm in Canada and I get full HD where available and it all works great.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

maxnmona posted:

Speaking of which, Southland Tales is on instant watch and absolutely rules. Everyone should watch it.

I, on the other hand, thought this movie was disjointed, meandering, and ultimately pointless. I would've stopped watching half-way through, but I thought that by the end everything would be tied together and make a smidgen of sense. No such luck.

For a movie with so many A (and B)-list celebrities, how could it have turned out so utterly, utterly crappy?

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

The Dittus posted:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents old school suspense by the o.g. himself. Great series, so happy it's up for Halloween.

Yes yes yes a million. If anyone hasn't seen "One More Mile to Go," you're an rear end.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 32 days!
Thanks to this thread, I saw "The Wild & Wonderful Whites of West Virginia", which is easily one of the best documentaries I've seen in a long time.

In a similar vein, I'd highly recommend two documentaries about writers: Dreams With Sharp Teeth, which focuses on Harlan Ellison; and It/ll be Better Tomorrow, which focuses on Hubert Selby, Jr.

Now, naturally, both documentaries are very light on criticism and very heavy on luminaries praising the authors and their work (Robin Williams and Neil Gaiman appear in the Ellison doc, while Lou Reed and Darren Aronofsky appear in the Selby doc). While the documentaries don't shy away from presenting the warty side of both authors' lives (Selby and his friends freely discuss the author's struggles with drugs; Ellison is shown getting into various arguments and confrontations with fans, interviewers, and people on the street), it's best to consider the docs as celebrations of the authors' lives (particularly in Selby's case, as the doc was completed shortly after he died). If you are a fan of either writer's work, or just like watching documentaries about writers and writing, these should be right up your street.

So should Tales From the Script, a documentary with various screenwriters (Frank Darabont, John Carpenter, Shane Black and Larry Cohen are among the people appearing in the doc) and their experiences as screenwriters in Hollywood. All sorts of experiences are related (one writer estimates he went through over 60 drafts of a script before it was deemed ready to film; another writer totals up all the screenplays he's written during his career and realizes he's sold a grand total of three scripts that eventually got made into films; and yet another writer details how he ended up quitting screenwriting to become a psychologist when he realized he was having more fun attending group therapy sessions than he was pitching scripts to producers). It's a great look at the way Hollywood can treat writers and a very interesting documentary.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES
I know it's been mentioned before but I feel it needs mentioning again. If you haven't seen Troll Hunter you need to watch it immediately.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

MrGreenShirt posted:

I, on the other hand, thought this movie was disjointed, meandering, and ultimately pointless. I would've stopped watching half-way through, but I thought that by the end everything would be tied together and make a smidgen of sense. No such luck.

For a movie with so many A (and B)-list celebrities, how could it have turned out so utterly, utterly crappy?

A lot of people don't like it. You're all wrong.

edit: to expand, the trick is not to think of it as a regular movie with a regular plot arc in which anything will be explained or resolved. You just kinda have to enjoy the experience and not worry about figuring it out logically.

maxnmona fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 21, 2011

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

jimcunningham posted:

Has anyone watched Intacto? I've been hearing it's pretty cool, but I can't bring myself to watch it because I am extremely lazy.

I've seen it a few times and still enjoy it.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
They've added 1578 titles in the last 28 days, and people still cry.

Feedflix tells me that I stream 146.3 titles a month. Christ.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

ThriceBakedPotato posted:

They've added 1578 titles in the last 28 days, and people still cry.

Feedflix tells me that I stream 146.3 titles a month. Christ.
Haha I hope most of those are TV shows - otherwise you have way too much free time! Mine's 42.5.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

I'm at 206.3 :psyduck:

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I've seen it a few times and still enjoy it.

I second that. Intacto is a really neat movie. Sadly, the last time they put it on instant watch they actually uploaded some horrible low-budget barbarian movie instead.

Edit: On the plus side, I apparently only pay $0.02 for every movie I watch! :haw:

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
371 / mo here. :psyboom:

But in fairness, we don't have cable and my kids know how to use Netflix so it's pretty much 80% kids shows (Sesame Street, Beakman's World, etc), 18% my stay at home wife watching old sitcoms, and maybe 2% my stuff.

I'd say the $7.99/mo is worth it compared to cable. It's saying my cost is $0.02 as well but I'm thinking that's just the minimum it can calculate? Also I can't put on the 7.99 streaming only plan so I'm using the 8.99 1dvd / unl streaming option for plans.

But speaking of kid's shows, the selection on there for kids is amazing and worth it alone if you have kids. Aside from the Sesame Street and Beakman's World I've previously mentioned, my kids love Fraggle Rock, Backyardigans, Spiderman, Avengers, Inspector Gadget, Voltron, Power Rangers Pink Panther, Pingu, Wallace and Gromitt, Shaun the Sheep, Anything Looney Toons... the list goes on. My favorite aspect about it is no commercials and you can really control what the kids watch.

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt
Fraggle Rock is on IW? gently caress kids, I'm on that.

Shadley Puffin
Aug 13, 2011

DOWN WITH GRAVITY
The Bed-Sitting Room - Peter Cook, Dudley Moore, Spike Milligan and others anchor this ridiculous, anarchic post-nuclear fantasia from 1969. England may be depopulated and destroyed, but its remaining inhabitants know how to Keep Calm and Carry On. It's a joke that this isn't available on DVD in R1 but Netflix has a very pretty HD transfer.

A Town Called Panic - Stop-motion Belgian insanity. See, it's Horse's birthday, and action-figure Cowboy and Indian immediately start loving up trying to get him a present, and then they go to the center of the earth, and there are giant Belgian waffles, and...

Take Toy Story, mix it with the Three Stooges, make them stop-motion action figures and let the creators mainline Pixy Stix before writing and you've got yourself a movie!

Wet Hot American Summer - About the purest distillation of the spirit of summer-camp movies like Meatballs as you can possibly get, this one is far more sweet and goofy than mean. Plus the cast is just ridiculously talent-laden, with Elizabeth Banks and Amy Poehler before they were big. Also Christopher Meloni's greatest role ever.

RoughDraft2.0
Mar 8, 2007

We really like your car, Mrs. LaRusso.

Diosamblet posted:

Luther - Idris Elba (from The Wire) as a broken detective who keeps falling deeper and deeper into trouble. Also featuring the most lovable sociopath this side of Dexter.

Yup. Series started slightly slow for me but builds up quite a head of steam by episode five. Between this and stuff like "Jekyll," you'd think the BBC only shat solid gold, but I'm sure they have their equivalent of "Whitney" hiding over there.

For documentary fans:

Winnebago Man Well-done examination of one of the earliest examples of a viral video: a guy who can't stop swearing while filming a trailer dealership commercial. The filmmakers track him down years later to see if he has any idea of the cult figure he's become.

Pulling John A look at neigh-invincible arm wrestling champ John Brzenk and the challengers to his title. Not great, but certainly better than "Over the Top."

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Shadley Puffin posted:

A Town Called Panic - Stop-motion Belgian insanity. See, it's Horse's birthday, and action-figure Cowboy and Indian immediately start loving up trying to get him a present, and then they go to the center of the earth, and there are giant Belgian waffles, and...

Take Toy Story, mix it with the Three Stooges, make them stop-motion action figures and let the creators mainline Pixy Stix before writing and you've got yourself a movie!

I can't say enough good things about this movie. I always put it on my queue whenever it comes back on instant and I am always royally entertained. It's funny, cute, quirky, bizarre, surreal, and a rip-roaring good time!

ThriceBakedPotato
Oct 25, 2010

by T. Butt

mistaya posted:

I've been watching a lot of the more mainstream TV shows I never bothered with when they were airing. Not every show is finished, but lately I've gone through Buffy, Angel, Breaking Bad, Weeds, Dead Like Me, Ghost Whisperer, Mad Men, Dexter, and Bones among others.

I envy you, for not having seen what I've seen.

e: in a good way. Breaking Bad and Mad Men are the pinnacle of non-HBO TV. I've watched most episodes 4-5 times and they're rewarding in a different way each time.

Buffy was amazing, Angel was good at least for the Tim Minear written episodes.

ThriceBakedPotato fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 22, 2011

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Shadley Puffin posted:

To echo MrGreenShirt, this is amazing and everyone should watch it. It's a feature length Robot Chicken episode without the edginess/references.

Sandwich Bender
Mar 4, 2004

This is by no means "off the beaten path," but Harry and the Hendersons expires on Wednesday! I watched it recently for the first time since I was a child and my god is it glorious.

A question for Star Trek fans: what Star Trek series are/aren't worth watching? I've always had a big interest in Star Trek but never got around to watching any of the series. I assume Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are the best? Really looking forward to plowing through those.

And to make sure this is a worthwhile post:

Trick r' Treat is a very, very cool horror anthology with Dylan Baker, Brian Cox, and Helo from Battlestar Galactica. Perfect movie to watch around Halloween.

There seemed to be a large amount of people who thought Frozen was goofy, but I thought it was really well done and fairly nerve-wracking. It's about a trio of young'uns that get stuck on a ski lift at a closed down resort and their attempts to get down.

skynix
Jul 6, 2005
So, yeah, I can't say how off-the-beaten-path any of these are, but they're movies I enjoyed that are currently on Netflix. I can think of several more that I've enjoyed but aren't currently available for streaming (and it looks like my "watch again" section has shrunk considerably), but I think this thread is more useful if I stick to movies that are actually currently available.

Darkon was my first introduction to what I think is now a sort of documentary sub-genre--the movie about grownup nerds who LARP. I can't say that this is a great film, but it was interesting in the way it contrasted the fairly mundane-to-miserable lives of the LARPers with the fantastic and complicated world they had built from scratch. And I think it's an nice meditation on how people feel that being "heroic" is impossible outside of the realm of fantasy, and that the drive to feel heroic is a real part of people that can provide solace.

Withnail & I is a movie that I don't hear people talk about very often, but I'd bet a lot of people here have already seen it. This is another movie that I don't exactly love, but Richard E. Grant's portrayal of Withnail as someone whose black misanthropy and self-destructive impulses are exacerbated by his (stymied) desire for fame and adulation is really worth a watch.

Someone earlier already mentioned it, but The Secret of Kells is a positively gorgeous movie that blends Celtic myth, pagan art and Catholic illumination, and Irish history together in a fascinating way. I think the plot of this movie is a little thin at times, and the film sets its aim--at least character-wise--at a younger audience than it perhaps ought to. However, animation fans will love the look of it, and the overall effect of the movie is the feeling of watching a beautiful and sometimes terrifying pagan myth.

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.
Two terrible movies that I loved in my youth, Hackers and The Wizard are on Netflix instant. If you have fond memories of them from childhood, go watch them again and see how hilariously bad they are.

Stuntastic
Jul 11, 2009

weed cave weed saves
Trick'r'Treat was awesome, does anyone have any other good halloween/scary movie recommendations that are up on Instant?

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

Stuntastic posted:

Trick'r'Treat was awesome, does anyone have any other good halloween/scary movie recommendations that are up on Instant?

most of John Carpenter's stuff http://www.netflix.com/RoleDisplay?personid=14639

Inferno by Dario Argento

both Paranormal Activity movies if you're into that. I think they're fun if not that scary

I haven't seen it, but I've heard Creepshow is similar to Trick r Treat

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
Honestly, aside from Opera (which is loving awesome) I would avoid watching any Argento stuff through Netflix.

The thing is, a company has been making edited "rental versions" of Argento movies (Deep Red, Suspiria, and Inferno mainly) that have no special features and look and sound like rear end, and selling them to Netflix. In their infinite wisdom, Netflix has decided to use these instead of the amazing Blue Underground discs.

This isn't a huge issue regarding streaming, except at the very least Suspiria was the heavily-edited (to the point of incomprehensibility) R-rated version when it was on instant, and Inferno may or may not be the same way as well.

SALT CURES HAM fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Oct 22, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Sandwich Bender posted:

A question for Star Trek fans: what Star Trek series are/aren't worth watching? I've always had a big interest in Star Trek but never got around to watching any of the series. I assume Next Generation and Deep Space Nine are the best? Really looking forward to plowing through those.
Everyone has their favorite series, you'll just have to watch a few episodes of each and decide for yourself whether to keep going. Generally speaking, Voyager and Enterprise are the least popular, so TNG and DS9 are both good places to start. Popular consensus is that season 1 of TNG is the weakest, and can be skipped for a first time viewer.

• Locked thread