Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I'm guessing it's for when things are translated into other languages. It's really bad though, the presentation of onscreen text is important. It's like visual dubbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I watch with CC on a lot (dad is hard of hearing). It's a real pain in the rear end when CC covers up info bars or subtitles, for example, and it happens more often than you'd think. I'm not saying the current handling is great, just that I think that's their motivation.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Party Plane Jones posted:

Netflix replacing title cards and onscreen text wholly with captions is still one of the most aggravating changes they've done.

Yeah, this is an insane thing for them to do.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Netflix replacing title cards and onscreen text wholly with captions is still one of the most aggravating changes they've done.

Wait, what is this?

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Shooter was really good, probably the most solid action flick I've seen in a decent while. It got hilariously preachy about The Evils of Big Oil near the end, but it was an incredibly fun ride from beginning to end.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Shooter was really good, probably the most solid action flick I've seen in a decent while. It got hilariously preachy about The Evils of Big Oil near the end, but it was an incredibly fun ride from beginning to end.

I think this movie just reminds us that if you're an evil dude never bust out the hard liquor -- that's a guaranteed way to make the hero attack.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Should I watch regular Iron Sky, or the director's cut? Both are on Netflix.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

marktheando posted:

Should I watch regular Iron Sky, or the director's cut? Both are on Netflix.

Gonna have to go with a flat "no" in this case.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Gonna have to go with a flat "no" in this case.

:agreed:
I turned off Iron Sky about a third of the way through out of boredom. That's the film's biggest crime; managing to make the concept of Moon Nazi's boring.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Same here. The premise sounded so great to me but I ended up just being bored and disappointed. I watched the theatrical release but I can't imagine the director's cut being much better.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Ah that's a shame, I will instead watch Dredd again for the millionth time.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Paper Kaiju posted:

:agreed:
I turned off Iron Sky about a third of the way through out of boredom. That's the film's biggest crime; managing to make the concept of Moon Nazi's boring.

Counterpoint - watching with friends while drunk is entertaining enough.

Don't watch alone though, drinking or not.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Chaotic Flame posted:

There are so many things wrong with this statement, but I'm just going to say that I don't drink.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Chaotic Flame posted:

I never get this argument. Watching almost anything with friends while drunk is entertaining. That's still no excuse to watch garbage.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Iron sky is about a million times better than almost everything currently available on Netflix, simply because almost everything Netflix has is garbage.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Sarchasm posted:

I never get this argument. Watching almost anything with friends while drunk is entertaining. That's still no excuse to watch garbage.

Yeah why would anyone like to make fun of movies with their friends? Huh, whats that? Mystery Science what?

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah why would anyone like to make fun of movies with their friends? Huh, whats that? Mystery Science what?

You would have a point if it wasn't for the fact that you (seemingly) intentionally left off the word 'drunk'.

On a further note, saying a film is enjoyable when drunk with friends is saying 'this film is only enjoyable if you are voluntarily and temporarily mentally disabled AND surrounded by people with whom you are predisposed to enjoying yourself, who also happen to be in a similar state'.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Drinking makes you stupid, so you're better equipped to watch stupid movies.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Iron sky is about a million times better than almost everything currently available on Netflix, simply because almost everything Netflix has is garbage.

Yeah, okay. You sound like my college roommate who would complain that there was nothing on Netflix and then watch the same episodes of Family Guy over and over.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Yeah, okay. You sound like my college roommate who would complain that there was nothing on Netflix and then watch the same episodes of Family Guy over and over.

Do you disagree that the vast majority of Netflix films are garbage? Because they definitely are. There are some really good things on there, yeah, but few and far between.

Iron sky isn't great, but there are thousands of worse ways to spend ninety minutes on Netflix.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

There are enough good films on Netflix to justify the money I spend on it. I'd hardly call the vast majority crap.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The interface is designed so poorly that a lot of the time you are just completely unaware of how big the library is. Browsing on a TV for example, you pretty much have to know the name of what you are looking for or hope its one of the movies that is recommended.

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!
The ratio doesn't really matter because the volume is so high. Supplement with a site like instant watcher so you can easily find the good ones and there's more than enough to ever run out. Unless you're unemployed and watch movies all day which maybe isn't that uncommon in cined.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Eggnogium posted:

The ratio doesn't really matter because the volume is so high. Supplement with a site like instant watcher so you can easily find the good ones and there's more than enough to ever run out. Unless you're unemployed and watch movies all day which maybe isn't that uncommon in cined.

Just wait, those cinematic subtext analysis jobs are going to be popping up any minute now.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Be prepared
Fun Shoe

cheerfullydrab posted:

Drinking makes you stupid, so you're better equipped to watch stupid movies.

Me and a buddy of mine drunk watched Poultrygeist.

That movie is so much better than it has any right to be. It is completely self aware, amazing, and hilarious. Great comedic timing and jokes. Also titties. Watch that poo poo.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Yaws posted:

There are enough good films on Netflix to justify the money I spend on it. I'd hardly call the vast majority crap.

I can't keep up with the poo poo I add to my queue. Right now I have Thief, Chinatown, Leaving Las Vegas, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Conversation, Snowpiercer, The French Connection, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Das Boot, Mystic River, Barton Fink, Marathon Man, Pi, Total Recall, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Das Boot.

And that's just the best of the best. I have about 70 movies on the list.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Feb 14, 2015

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
Have a look through any category on instant watcher and see how many genuinely good films you find. There's definitely no doubt that Netflix is worth the small cost, but there are still way more bad films than good.

Iron sky was being slated as terrible, but I guarantee I could find one hundred worse films on Netflix in any one single category, in less than ten minutes.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Basebf555 posted:

I can't keep up with the poo poo I add to my queue. Right now I have Thief, Chinatown, Leaving Las Vegas, The Wolf of Wall Street, The Conversation, Snowpiercer, The French Connection, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, Das Boot, Mystic River, Barton Fink, Marathon Man, Pi, Total Recall, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, and Das Boot.

And that's just the best of the best. I have about 70 movies on the list.

See now, there's the problem: I want to see like half of these and had no way of knowing they were on Netflix until now.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Do you disagree that the vast majority of Netflix films are garbage? Because they definitely are. There are some really good things on there, yeah, but few and far between.

Iron sky isn't great, but there are thousands of worse ways to spend ninety minutes on Netflix.

No I don't disagree with the first part, but I definitely do not agree with the last part. It is not few and far between. There are literally thousands of things to watch on Netflix, and of course a large majority of them are poo poo, but my queue is ever-increasing because I realize a movie that I've heard amazing things about gets added at least once every update. I have something like 80 movies in my queue that I haven't watched yet, and that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Anonymous Robot posted:

See now, there's the problem: I want to see like half of these and had no way of knowing they were on Netflix until now.

You can use Netflix's site directly but I've found it kind of annoying to navigate. These days when I'm checking out what's up on the service I use instantwatcher.com.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Don't get too attached to external sites though, Netflix is actively shutting down their API and partners that use it. Its really sucks and is completely braindead on their part.

And yeah I know some sites got an exemption, but it's just a matter of time before Netflix shuts them down too.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Anonymous Robot posted:

You have to be willing to just go through each genre you like every once in a while and be thorough about it. It might take a half hour but you its not a big deal if you do it like very 3 months.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

mod sassinator posted:

Don't get too attached to external sites though, Netflix is actively shutting down their API and partners that use it. Its really sucks and is completely braindead on their part.

And yeah I know some sites got an exemption, but it's just a matter of time before Netflix shuts them down too.

I'm sure that there will be solutions for creating a more streamlined Netflix Instant catalog that Netflix cannot shut down. I mean worst case scenario, someone makes a wiki.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Random Stranger posted:

I'm sure that there will be solutions for creating a more streamlined Netflix Instant catalog that Netflix cannot shut down. I mean worst case scenario, someone makes a wiki.

Not really, if there's no API then you have to screen scrape. However you can't see anything on Netflix's site until you're logged in, and if you're logged in and screen scraping then they can detect that and shut down your account. They can definitely make it very hard / impossible to index their site.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Wait, what is this?

So for example, on Better Of Ted there will be fake commericials for Veridian Dynamics which have text. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia8OKMlqxLs

Any of the text that shows up from the original broadcast is removed from the Netflix version, so all you see is the logo on the left and the text through the captioning system, if you don't have the captioning system turned on, they won't show up. Other shows like American Dad which occasionally has onscreen text gags will just show straight up black screens because the white text was removed.

Side note, I don't know why the hell closed captioning services have started putting text at the top of the screen rather than the bottom these days. It ends up blocking people's faces more often than not.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2015

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
gently caress this I thought Iron Sky was a fun dumb movie, and I have zero regrets watching it.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Have a look through any category on instant watcher and see how many genuinely good films you find. There's definitely no doubt that Netflix is worth the small cost, but there are still way more bad films than good.

Iron sky was being slated as terrible, but I guarantee I could find one hundred worse films on Netflix in any one single category, in less than ten minutes.

Dude, we get it, you just figured out Sturgeon's Law. No one cares.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

stickyfngrdboy posted:

Why are you even in this thread? I'll do an easy one Look up Korean Movies. There is a ton of great movies right there.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

So for example, on Better Of Ted there will be fake commericials for Veridian Dynamics which have text. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia8OKMlqxLs

Any of the text that shows up from the original broadcast is removed from the Netflix version, so all you see is the logo on the left and the text through the captioning system, if you don't have the captioning system turned on, they won't show up. Other shows like American Dad which occasionally has onscreen text gags will just show straight up black screens because the white text was removed.

Side note, I don't know why the hell closed captioning services have started putting text at the top of the screen rather than the bottom these days. It ends up blocking people's faces more often than not.

That's stupid as gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Paper Kaiju posted:

You would have a point if it wasn't for the fact that you (seemingly) intentionally left off the word 'drunk'.

On a further note, saying a film is enjoyable when drunk with friends is saying 'this film is only enjoyable if you are voluntarily and temporarily mentally disabled AND surrounded by people with whom you are predisposed to enjoying yourself, who also happen to be in a similar state'.

You must be a hoot at parties.

• Locked thread