Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RaoulDuke
May 6, 2007

I was a victim of a series of accidents, as are we all.

gregday posted:

I'm on a quest to get everyone I know to watch this. The Taco Bell scene alone is worth it.

Also check out The Dancing Outlaw. Its a PBS film from 1991 so to say the least the vibe is a little different. The grainy early 90's footage works perfectly, its pretty haunting.

Realized all of The Twilight Zone were up on there. Surprisingly subversive for the 50's 60's when people didn't take sci-fi too seriously. Great plots, shows how eerie shows can be with no special affects or even complicated sets by well written character drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

Seaniqua posted:

Y'all got mozzarella sticks?

And yelling "SHE LOST HER BABY" through the window to the people she knew inside :laffo:

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Narwhale posted:

And yelling "SHE LOST HER BABY" through the window to the people she knew inside :laffo:
Someone told me that the family members would get insanely jealous whenever the camera wasn't on them. They literally couldn't get enough of showing off their disgusting lifestyle.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Narwhale posted:

And yelling "SHE LOST HER BABY" through the window to the people she knew inside

And they're smiling and nodding and waving because they can't really hear what she's saying. What a weird, surreal life. I sort of felt bad for not feeling bad that they had taken her kid.

Edit: By the way, if you haven't seen Wild and Wonderful Whites, I highly recommend it. It's really conflicting and sort of disastrous. Also check out The Dancing Outlaw, as mentioned before. I saw Dancing Outlaw first, and I'm sort of glad for it. The whole situation doesn't come off quite as insane in that movie, so it sort of gives you false hopes to be dashed by Wild and Wonderful Whites.

Seaniqua fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Oct 26, 2011

gregday
May 23, 2003

Sue Bob has always been the sexiest one in the family.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I don't know how popular it is here, but I just discovered The IT Crowd, and if you are looking for a quality, offbeat British comedy that happens to be about computer nerds, well, I have to say it is great. The stories aren't that well-structured, but there's a ton of big laughs in every episode. It's rather broad and bizarre, and the show isn't really a workplace comedy. Thankfully, it also avoids having the two nerds make gratuitous Ubuntu references, so it doesn't just come off as them saying:

"I found a computer today that wasn't running Linux!" Laugh track. "So I put the thing out of its misery!" Laugh track.

"Right. Like you know anything about Linux." Cue ooh. "You use Redhat!" Long laugh track.

Rather, it's stuff like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EBfxjSFAxQ

Jabba The American
Sep 5, 2011

I'm gonna have you thrown out of here in a minute!

RaoulDuke posted:

Realized all of The Twilight Zone were up on there. Surprisingly subversive for the 50's 60's when people didn't take sci-fi too seriously. Great plots, shows how eerie shows can be with no special affects or even complicated sets by well written character drama.

Unfortunately the 4th season is unavailable. drat it Netflix, I wanted to watch On Thursday We Leave For Home.

in_absentia
Feb 6, 2008

LYNCHINGS ARE WHAT GIVE THE SOUTH ITS CHARM!
:3:
(not a bigot)
In addition to The Wild and Wonderful Whites and The Dancing Outlaw, there is also the really surreal semi-autobiographical movie about Jesco White called White Lightnin' on Netflix. It's not the best movie in the world or anything, but I found it to be an interesting addition to the documentaries.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/White-Lightnin/70112463

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
This was added today to Instant Watch, and I clicked the description because I assumed it would be funny, but...well, it actually sounds really interesting http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Machete_Maidens_Unleashed/70145743

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 34 days!

fenix down posted:

Someone told me that the family members would get insanely jealous whenever the camera wasn't on them. They literally couldn't get enough of showing off their disgusting lifestyle.

There's a couple of interviews with the director that are worth reading. In one interview, he basically confirms what you said, with the other members of the family threatening him and claiming he was loving Kirk (the one who lost her kid) or that she'd put a "hex" on him to make him spend more time filming her. Also there was the time Sue Bob's boyfriend called the cops on the director because he was jealous that he wasn't being featured more in the film, and claimed the director had kidnapped Sue Bob. :downs:

In the other interview, he details some of the insane stuff they didn't put in the documentary:

-A moment where he had to snort some painkillers to prove he wasn't a narc
-The night before Kirk went into rehab, the rest of the White women tried to pressure him into loving Kirk or at least "[showing] her your cock"
-Jesco talking baby talk while wearing a diaper made out of a Confederate flag
-Sue Bob and her boyfriend getting in a fight over cooking a ham, which led to said boyfriend being arrested for "assault with a deadly ham" :downsrim:

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Grandpa Pap posted:

one interview
other interview

Wow, thanks so much for posting these. Both are really interesting reads. Now I'm extremely interested in seeing the bonus features.

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

maxnmona posted:

This was added today to Instant Watch, and I clicked the description because I assumed it would be funny, but...well, it actually sounds really interesting http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/Machete_Maidens_Unleashed/70145743

The same director also did the really great Not Quite Hollywood: The Wild, Untold Story of Ozploitation!, also on Instant.

Two other really fantastic documentaries about movies on Instant are Nightmares in Red, White and Blue and American Grindhouse.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

in_absentia posted:

In addition to The Wild and Wonderful Whites and The Dancing Outlaw, there is also the really surreal semi-autobiographical movie about Jesco White called White Lightnin' on Netflix. It's not the best movie in the world or anything, but I found it to be an interesting addition to the documentaries.

http://movies.netflix.com/Movie/White-Lightnin/70112463

I second this. I won't give away the complete turn the movie takes around the 2/3 mark, but I will say that it completely stunned me. It was kind of a bait and switch too, since I'd already seen the documentary about Jesco and the movie followed his life story fairly closely up to that point. I'd recommend anybody thinking about watching White Lightnin' watching the documentaries first to get an idea of the real Jesco White.

Also, I'd recommend Deathdream to anyone looking for an obscure, creepy little Halloween movie to watch this weekend. At its heart, it's a rather heavy-handed message film about the horrors of the Vietnam War and how it impacted the soldiers and their small-town friends and families. But you can ignore all that and just enjoy the brilliant performance by Richard Backus as the creepy soldier who can't quite cope with being back from the dead home.

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Deathdream/70001361

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
It's weird, but out of all the crazy poo poo in Hell House the thing that stuck with me the most was the nixing of the lesbian pick-up attempt. So a scene where one girl pretends to hit on another girl can't be done because of the time spent together and temptation, but all the pretend violence and other iniquities aren't something to worry about? Truly, the Gay Agenda is something to be feared.

Am I wrong in thinking that they also had plants in the groups for the final Jesus hard sell at the end? I could have sworn I'd seen one or two of the people who suddenly book it for the door to salvation after no one heads the call the first two times.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

Gyges posted:

It's weird, but out of all the crazy poo poo in Hell House the thing that stuck with me the most was the nixing of the lesbian pick-up attempt. So a scene where one girl pretends to hit on another girl can't be done because of the time spent together and temptation, but all the pretend violence and other iniquities aren't something to worry about? Truly, the Gay Agenda is something to be feared.

Am I wrong in thinking that they also had plants in the groups for the final Jesus hard sell at the end? I could have sworn I'd seen one or two of the people who suddenly book it for the door to salvation after no one heads the call the first two times.

Yes, I didn't get why the guy with the 4 kids suddenly went from actor to participant. Plus, he was noticeably shaken up at the wife internet-cheating on her husband scene, even though he presumably knew it was coming. I just felt bad for that guy, over all.

I also liked the guy at the end of the tour's "we're not trying to guilt trip you, but IF YOU DON'T THINK YOU'RE GOING TO HEAVEN RIGHT NOW, YOU NEED TO PRAY FOR SALVATION RIGHT NOW" at the end. Just brainwashing at that point.

And whoever said it before was totally right, all the scenarios were like they had no idea what actually happens, they were just going by what they think the scene should be like, and try to shoehorn as much awful poo poo in there as possible. That girl gets raped at a rave, and kills herself instead of calling the police? Oh, and also her dad molested her.

Every scene involving women was basically slut-shaming. Any female character that's not a subservient breed mare chained to the oven goes to hell, basically.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Gyges posted:

Remember that he also didn't want a boy-girl version of that scene for the same reason. But oh God it would be wonderful if his daughter got picked for the rape scene!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jack Gladney posted:

Remember that he also didn't want a boy-girl version of that scene for the same reason. But oh God it would be wonderful if his daughter got picked for the rape scene!

Those are two different mustached men. The not bald one appears to be the Youth Pastor and is an absolute dick. The bald one has what appears to be a life of nothing but God making GBS threads on him, other than his seemingly normal teenage daughter. His life is so poo poo that they actually seem to base their domestic violence sketch around it.

And now I just remembered that the police officer actually handed out real guns with blanks to the kids, one of the recipients of which repeatedly put the gun to his head and pulled the trigger to fake a suicide. I can't tell whether that is a strike against the existence of God, or the fact that the kid came out just fine is proof of God.

Edit: Growing up in similar but less crazy Southern Baptist churches I have to say that the youth group prayer before the opening that they showed is actually the most evil part. It's a psychological pressure cooker where group think and herd mentality push you to break down and completely embrace the message. I was in a similar setting at a youth revival camp(no speaking in tongues though), and the utter manipulation of a whole room of crying peers where everyone is focused on how worthless they are without Jesus is horrendous.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Oct 28, 2011

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

RoughDraft2.0 posted:

Yup. Series started slightly slow for me but builds up quite a head of steam by episode five. Between this and stuff like "Jekyll," you'd think the BBC only shat solid gold, but I'm sure they have their equivalent of "Whitney" hiding over there.

For documentary fans:

Winnebago Man Well-done examination of one of the earliest examples of a viral video: a guy who can't stop swearing while filming a trailer dealership commercial. The filmmakers track him down years later to see if he has any idea of the cult figure he's become.

Pulling John A look at neigh-invincible arm wrestling champ John Brzenk and the challengers to his title. Not great, but certainly better than "Over the Top."

I know this was posted a while back but I fully support watching Winnebago Man. I went into it expecting a light documentary to watch while browsing the forums and I'll be god damned if it didn't make me cry near the end.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Reaper was a fantastic series and I was a fan of it when it first aired. It ends on a serious "what the gently caress why isn't there another season" note though, so beware!

And Ray Wise is fantastic as Satan. He's so awesome.

I agree that Ray Wise is the loving man, but I remember Reaper being pretty bad. I think it was just the three main guys that were incredibly grating though, everyone else was a pretty decent actor.

Now, a great show on IW that features Ray Wise hamming it up would be Twin Peaks.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
That Ray Wise stands out as hamming it up on Twin Peaks amidst the entire cast of that show should tell you something.

reach42
May 20, 2008

Satan is my lord
Bribe officials and kill goats
Hail Satan, Go Hawks

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

That Ray Wise stands out as hamming it up on Twin Peaks amidst the entire cast of that show should tell you something.

Twin Peaks put Ray Wise on my radar.

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer
It's been mentioned before but Trick r Treat is fantastic and is on instant streaming still. Go watch it on Monday if you haven't seen it yet.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Stuntastic posted:

Trick'r'Treat was awesome, does anyone have any other good halloween/scary movie recommendations that are up on Instant?

Agree with the thumbs up for Trick 'r Treat.

Here's the "horror faves" part of my queue:

Creepshow

The Thing (John Carpenter)

Night of the Living Dead

The Evil Dead

Videodrome

The Exorcist

They have had other classics like Suspiria, Rosemary's Baby, Hellraiser, and A Nightmare on Elm Street, but those are all off streaming right now.

Even though the version of Suspiria they had on earlier was apparently edited, it was still awesome and the scariest thing I've seen in decades, the first film scary enough to disturb my sleep that I can remember in quite some time, still bugs me if I think about it too much.

Oh, and whoever posted about The Hustler, be sure to check out Patton as it's George C. Scott's most famous role, and an excellent one, and also Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid for something famous and good by Newman.

Mouser..
Apr 1, 2010

I just wanted to take the time to recommend a movie that most likely will get overlooked because it has the same name as the Bruce Willis "assassin comedy"

Red is the tale of an old-timer that one day, while fishing, gets mugged by a bratty teenager and his no-good friends. He doesn't have much money so the sonovabitch kid decides to shoot the man's long-time faithful companion, Red. Now instead of looking for blood or vengeance, the old-timer makes it his lifes mission to just hear the teenager own up to what he's done and get a stern talking to from his father.

It's a slower movie but if you could sit through Winter's Bone which amounted to 90 minutes of a girl walking around asking the town if they've seen her daddy. Then you'll have no problem with this film.

Actually what I didn't realize is that the movie is from a Jack Ketchum novel. I had thought Jack Ketchum only wrote about murderous cannibals and feral women. But this wouldn't be considered a horror movie. Speaking of which, the other adapations of the Jack Ketchum novels are on Netflix Instant as well: The Lost and The Girl Next Door. Offspring and The Woman are nowhere to be found.

Mouser.. fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 30, 2011

Wilhelm Scream
Apr 1, 2008

The Lost and The Girl Next Door are also really loving good, too.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

As long as we're talking horror, no Halloween viewing party would be complete without Cheezy Horror Trailers: Vol. 1, which is a solid hour of bad trailers from the '60s, '70s, and '80s (if you're into that kind of thing).

They also have ones for Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

Throwdown
Sep 4, 2003

Here you go, dummies.
Got around to watching The Flaming Lips: Fearless Freaks and it was fantastic, helps that they are my favorite band though.

chemosh6969
Jul 3, 2004

code:
cat /dev/null > /etc/professionalism

I am in fact a massive asswagon.
Do not let me touch computer.

Evil Mastermind posted:

As long as we're talking horror, no Halloween viewing party would be complete without Cheezy Horror Trailers: Vol. 1, which is a solid hour of bad trailers from the '60s, '70s, and '80s (if you're into that kind of thing).

They also have ones for Fantasy and Sci-Fi.

And after the kids go to sleep, you can watch the trailers that have graphic violence and nudity

Mad Ron's Prevues from Hell

http://movies.netflix.com/WiMovie/Mad_Ron_s_Prevues_from_Hell/70141644?trkid=2361637

It's hosted, so it's not just one trailer after another for 90 minutes.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
The anime series Highschool of the Dead is on netflix. There is a lot of fan service (panty shots, boob jiggles, excessive violence) but the story is really good. Basically Dawn of the Dead in a Japanese High School.

maxnmona
Mar 16, 2005

if you start with drums, you have to end with dynamite.
New horror movie recommendation

Pontypool

This is indie horror done really really well, and it uses a plot device completely unlike any I've seen used in any horror movie before, that I can best describe as "linguistic horror".

Anyway, the less you know going in, the better, since slowly trying to figure out what's going on along with the characters is a lot of the fun. Basically it's about a radio host just starting the job at a small rural town's station after being fired from a bigger city station, and they start getting some...weird calls.

Starts pretty slow. Plot doesn't really kick in until about 20 minutes in, and the first real creepy part isn't until about a half hour, but it's worth the wait.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

SalTheBard posted:

The anime series Highschool of the Dead is on netflix. There is a lot of fan service (panty shots, boob jiggles, excessive violence) but the story is really good. Basically Dawn of the Dead in a Japanese High School.

Agreeing with this. I just finished watching it, and thought it was really good for a 12 episode miniseries. But, god drat :sonia:

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Since people are unironically recommending Highschool of the Dead, I should go ahead and point out that Lake Mungo is now on Streaming.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Is it just me, or has Netflix removed nearly all of their HD content?

edit: nevermind, it's all back. Guess it was just a maintenance thing

Gann Jerrod fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 2, 2011

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Since people are unironically recommending Highschool of the Dead, I should go ahead and point out that Lake Mungo is now on Streaming.

Seriously just watch this movie already. What are you waiting for? Go.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

SalTheBard posted:

Do not watch this. It is bad.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
For those of you who enjoyed the work of UCB when it was back on Comedy Central, I just noticed recently that a film that two of the members wrote back in the show's hey-day is currently on Netflix. It's a bizarre little thing called Martin & Orloff, which is about a mascot designer who has failed at killing himself and has to go met with his new shrink to hopefully get some help. Features a lot of familiar faces (H. Jon Benjamin, David Cross, and every member of UCB). I'd recommend giving it a try if only for a passing laugh.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

So it just got put on streaming, but I've heard some horrible stuff about it. Should I give The Brown Bunny a shot?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MrGreenShirt posted:

So it just got put on streaming, but I've heard some horrible stuff about it. Should I give The Brown Bunny a shot?

Ebert actually reviewed the new cut of it and liked it. 3 stars

quote:

In May of 2003 I walked out of the press screening of Vincent Gallo's "The Brown Bunny" at the Cannes Film Festival and was asked by a camera crew what I thought of the film. I said I thought it was the worst film in the history of the festival. That was hyperbole -- I hadn't seen every film in the history of the festival -- but I was still vibrating from one of the most disastrous screenings I had ever attended.

The audience was loud and scornful in its dislike for the movie; hundreds walked out, and many of those who remained only stayed because they wanted to boo. Imagine, I wrote, a film so unendurably boring that when the hero changes into a clean shirt, there is applause. The panel of critics convened by Screen International, the British trade paper, gave the movie the lowest rating in the history of their annual voting.

But then a funny thing happened. Gallo went back into the editing room and cut 26 minutes of his 118-minute film, or almost a fourth of the running time. And in the process he transformed it. The film's form and purpose now emerge from the miasma of the original cut, and are quietly, sadly, effective. It is said that editing is the soul of the cinema; in the case of "The Brown Bunny," it is its salvation.

(...)

But he is not the director of the same "Brown Bunny" I saw at Cannes, and the film now plays so differently that I suggest the original Cannes cut be included as part of the eventual DVD, so that viewers can see for themselves how 26 minutes of aggressively pointless and empty footage can sink a potentially successful film.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20040903/REVIEWS/409020301/1023

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Nov 2, 2011

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

I know nothing about this movie, but I will watch it because you also got excited about poliziotteschi movies being added to instant. That gives you credibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popular Human
Jul 17, 2005

and if it's a lie, terrorists made me say it

maxnmona posted:

New horror movie recommendation

Pontypool

This is indie horror done really really well, and it uses a plot device completely unlike any I've seen used in any horror movie before, that I can best describe as "linguistic horror".

Anyway, the less you know going in, the better, since slowly trying to figure out what's going on along with the characters is a lot of the fun. Basically it's about a radio host just starting the job at a small rural town's station after being fired from a bigger city station, and they start getting some...weird calls.

Starts pretty slow. Plot doesn't really kick in until about 20 minutes in, and the first real creepy part isn't until about a half hour, but it's worth the wait.

I was JUST coming to this thread to recommend this movie - I saw it got added last night. It's a great slow-burn horror film that NOBODY saw. I'm glad it's up on streaming, since it wasn't even available from Netflix as a DVD/Bluray last time I checked.

• Locked thread