Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Tell me how to make a tortilla without wrecking the kitchen!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Surprisingly healthy poor people food: basically every sauerkraut soup variation. poo poo's tasty, costs nothing, and is simple as gently caress. Plus kraut keeps forever, so no worries about having poo poo go bad. Just remember to rinse the sauerkraut first, eh?

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

MohawkSatan posted:

Just remember to rinse the sauerkraut first, eh?

I make sauerkraut all the time and I've never heard of rinsing it, is this a thing?
My bacteria worked hard for all that lactic acid, and I'd hate to wash any of it down the drain.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've also never heard of rinsing sauerkraut. But I typically don't have a ton of it on hand at any given time, and tend to eat it all pretty quick because it's so drat tasty.

MohawkSatan
Dec 20, 2008

by Cyrano4747
For soups you generally rinse it, for everything else that poo poo comes straight outta the jar. Unless you want a particularly acidic soup I guess? Could heal break tougher meats down if you stewed them in it?

Imbroglio
Mar 8, 2013

MohawkSatan posted:

For soups you generally rinse it, for everything else that poo poo comes straight outta the jar. Unless you want a particularly acidic soup I guess?
Particularly acidic soup is exactly what I want. Thanks for clarifying.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Acidic soup makes me think of the lake in Dante's Peak. Mmm, grannylegs.

I'm trying to eat more veggies lately and because I'm a lazy fatass, this means basically cutting out the meat in my meal preps, otherwise I'd be just eating meat/rice/sauce, repeat. Cheese, veggie and whole grain sandwiches for lunch and mushroom, lentil and ale pie for dinner this week.

I've not made the pie before so I'm really hoping it goes ok. I got the recipe from a UK blog so I don't know wtf gravy granules are and I'm gonna go with red lentils instead of green because I hate the texture of lentils that don't break down. Little discs in my teeth, ugh.

Probably try dal with some veggies next week, as I have a shitton of rice already.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

While I'm not British I assume gravy granules are bullion powder

I threw some acid in a broccoli soup not realizing it'd end up looking so lovely that I couldn't eat it given the flavors experienced. It was then I learned presentation matters.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I threw some acid in a broccoli soup not realizing it'd end up looking so lovely that I couldn't eat it given the flavors experienced. It was then I learned presentation matters.

You should've pushed through and eaten it despite the presentation. LSD will make any soup palatable.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
My pie is in the oven and I'm drinking all the leftover bottles of ale. It smells good. I used a cheapo brown gravy mix and a tbs of flour to help thicken it up. I'd post a pic but I cannot do pie crusts pretty so it looks like a horrorshow.

My grandmother would beat me with a spoon if she were alive, I'm sure.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

empty sea posted:

...mushroom, lentil and ale pie...

Requesting recipe. :f5:

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I grew up in a rural area in California and my mother grew up as one of eight kids + extended family on a literal farm in the central valley... As a young adult I lived in large communal houses so I still often cooked large meals to share. Everything I learned about cooking (and I have been a pretty prolific cook) was for large portion sizes. Now I'm only cooking for myself and occaisionally for my boyfriend. I'm really good at prepping things and freezing them, making big meals and portioning, keeping a good pantry etc. but I also work 60-70hours a week and work in a fine dining restaurant so I often eat at work. I'm having more food waste than I'd like, from accidentally buying doubles, from not getting to things in time, etc. Does anyone have a good app for keeping track of what you have on hand in fridge/freezer/pantry? Or is a note on my iphone the best? How do you all deal?

(I cxposted this in general questions as well.)

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Gravy granules are basically bullion powder + thickening agent - add boiling water, get (pretty terrible) gravy.

Ninja Edit:
I went looking for the ingredients for the best selling UK gravy granules (Bisto), so here they are:
Potato Starch, Salt, Wheat Starch, Colour (E150c - caramel), Yeast Powder, Onion Powder.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

Death of Rats posted:

Gravy granules are basically bullion powder + thickening agent - add boiling water, get (pretty terrible) gravy.

Ninja Edit:
I went looking for the ingredients for the best selling UK gravy granules (Bisto), so here they are:
Potato Starch, Salt, Wheat Starch, Colour (E150c - caramel), Yeast Powder, Onion Powder.

There is nothing like extra thick Bisto gravy on cheap sausages and a pile of mashed potatoes to remind me of my childhood. It's like a beefy ketchup. Bonus points if you stick the sausages in the potato like a 99 Flake.

EdBlackadder fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jul 20, 2018

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib
What is Boston gravy?

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008
Is there a good place to buy a variety of spices online that are decent without breaking the bank? I'm starting out from scratch so I need everything from whole mustard seed to dried herbs to allspice, etc. My grocery store has some basics but not all the spices I'd want, especially for Indian cooking. Other grocery stores require me to take a bus there and back just to see if they have everything I'm looking for, which factors in time and money I'd rather not spend if I can just get everything I need in one online purchase.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy

DasNeonLicht posted:

What is Boston gravy?

Bisto gravy on autocorrect, sorry.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Penzey's is amazing and cheaper than standard grocery store McCormick as well as being ten times better. If you purchase literally everything upfront, it's still gonna add up. But if you're okay with building up over the course of a year or so, Penzey's has a mindblowing number of deals, freebies, and samples.

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Penzey's is amazing and cheaper than standard grocery store McCormick as well as being ten times better. If you purchase literally everything upfront, it's still gonna add up. But if you're okay with building up over the course of a year or so, Penzey's has a mindblowing number of deals, freebies, and samples.

I could drop 100$ on startup spices. I was trying to avoid buying McCormick on Amazon, so this looks good, thanks.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Feel free to look around, I linked two of the big crates, but they have a bunch of smaller boxes that you can mix and match if you're into baking or barbecuing or you don't need a pepper grinder or whatever

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Feel free to look around, I linked two of the big crates, but they have a bunch of smaller boxes that you can mix and match if you're into baking or barbecuing or you don't need a pepper grinder or whatever

Yeah I'm also more into having things like parsley sage rosemary and thyme separate than I am having "Savory Herb Mix" single jars that always seem to come in starter packs.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Do you have a Sprouts near you? They have tons of spices in jars you can dump into bags. Usually around $1/ounce rather than $5 like a lot of hatred stuff.

Obligatory Asian market if you have one for cheap big bags of spices.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

I grew up in a rural area in California and my mother grew up as one of eight kids + extended family on a literal farm in the central valley... As a young adult I lived in large communal houses so I still often cooked large meals to share. Everything I learned about cooking (and I have been a pretty prolific cook) was for large portion sizes. Now I'm only cooking for myself and occaisionally for my boyfriend. I'm really good at prepping things and freezing them, making big meals and portioning, keeping a good pantry etc. but I also work 60-70hours a week and work in a fine dining restaurant so I often eat at work. I'm having more food waste than I'd like, from accidentally buying doubles, from not getting to things in time, etc. Does anyone have a good app for keeping track of what you have on hand in fridge/freezer/pantry? Or is a note on my iphone the best? How do you all deal?

I use a whiteboard with stuff listed in the freezer and fridge. Pantry stuff usually keeps a while so I don't worry about it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
WinCo, qfc/Fred Meyer/Kroger have good bulk bins for spices

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

MAKE NO BABBYS posted:

Does anyone have a good app for keeping track of what you have on hand in fridge/freezer/pantry? Or is a note on my iphone the best? How do you all deal?

I think a lot of this problem would be making sure you're continuously updating inventory as things get used and as you add in from shopping.

I know some of my friends have been using Alexa to maintain shopping lists since the ease of use is speaking out a command. I do not myself though: I like the concept, just not a constantly-on microphone going to Amazon.

I hope someone answers you with a better app, as I have the same question.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

18 Character Limit posted:

I think a lot of this problem would be making sure you're continuously updating inventory ...
I hope someone answers you with a better app, as I have the same question.

Like you say, the problem with apps is they become a job keeping inventory updated. I haven't found anything that beats an old fashioned grocery list. A piece of paper on the counter .. when you run low on something, write it down. If you need something for a future meal, write it down. Take the list with you to the grocery, if there is something you don't buy, it carries to the new list.

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008
What's the best, yet cost effective, cut of chicken for shredding to make wraps/sandwiches? Is this a case where buying breasts isn't a bad idea?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

HydeLyde posted:

What's the best, yet cost effective, cut of chicken for shredding to make wraps/sandwiches? Is this a case where buying breasts isn't a bad idea?

Thighs. Breasts will shred, thighs you'll get more of a chopped meat consistency, but they'll be tastier, and a lot cheaper for the most part.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

I'm of the opinion that anything breasts can do, thighs can do better and more cheaply, but keep in mind for your final product that the thighs are gonna be juicier. So where I'd normally add x amount of mayo for moisture to a chicken breast salad sandwich mix, I'd use a little less when using thighs.

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008
I've been doing seasoned breasts in some water in a covered pan to get them easily shreddable. Would you do the same for thighs?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

wormil posted:

Like you say, the problem with apps is they become a job keeping inventory updated. I haven't found anything that beats an old fashioned grocery list. A piece of paper on the counter .. when you run low on something, write it down. If you need something for a future meal, write it down. Take the list with you to the grocery, if there is something you don't buy, it carries to the new list.

I'm just using Google Keep for my list. It's shared between my wife and I so we can grab crap without seeing what is needed.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

HydeLyde posted:

I've been doing seasoned breasts in some water in a covered pan to get them easily shreddable. Would you do the same for thighs?

I'd roast them skin-on in the oven, and remove the skin before shredding. That should keep it the most moist.
Afterwards, you can optionally boil the skin and bones, to extract some gelatin. Remove the skin and bones, filter out the worst impurities, and reduce further. Use the tasty chicken gelatin to thicken the salad.

(This is completely untested, try at your own risk!)

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What kind of savage would waste perfectly crispy roasted chicken skin by boiling it? Lightly oil, heavily salt, roast to golden crispness, and eat that delicious chicken cracker.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I toasted some leftover chicken skin in a pan and it was loving choice, man.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

There's a bar in my town who has fried chicken skins as an appetizer and they are amazing. I feel disgusting for eating them, but it's worth it. Don't waste chicken skin!

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Butch Cassidy posted:

Requesting recipe. :f5:

Not the OP, but it might be this one: https://cookingonabootstrap.com/2018/07/22/mushroom-lentil-ale-pie-recipe/.

If it is, then I made it but with red wine because I didn't have ale, but there was a bottle of red in the cupboard because I don't drink it.

Don't use red wine.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

What kind of savage would waste perfectly crispy roasted chicken skin by boiling it? Lightly oil, heavily salt, roast to golden crispness, and eat that delicious chicken cracker.

I see it as blasphemous to waste chicken skin. It is just too drat tasty to ever throw away. I have to stay well away from chicken skin if i diet.

I love doing exactly what you do but put a little paprika in the oil beforehand for that amazing smokey flavour. drat that poo poo is good.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
Started cooking for myself again in an effort to be thrifty and also just eat better. Pork chops are my current go to cheap and delicious meat. Made a simple but super yummy meal of a rib chop, roasted red potatoes, and green beans. Seasoned the chop with cumin, coriander, cardamom, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Was really drat tasty. Could've used a little citrus peel to round it out, but I was feeling lazy and didn't wanna zest a lemon.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Thrasophius posted:

I see it as blasphemous to waste chicken skin. It is just too drat tasty to ever throw away. I have to stay well away from chicken skin if i diet.

I love doing exactly what you do but put a little paprika in the oil beforehand for that amazing smokey flavour. drat that poo poo is good.

The ketogenic diet I'm on allows me to eat all the meat and fat I want, more or less, as long as I avoid sugars and carbs to a degree. I can literally have a stack of chicken skin crackers and nothing else for a snack if I want. It's kind of amazing in that regard. I'm not advocating the diet, btw, just listing that one good advantage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

dog nougat posted:

Started cooking for myself again in an effort to be thrifty and also just eat better. Pork chops are my current go to cheap and delicious meat. Made a simple but super yummy meal of a rib chop, roasted red potatoes, and green beans. Seasoned the chop with cumin, coriander, cardamom, cayenne, salt, and black pepper. Was really drat tasty. Could've used a little citrus peel to round it out, but I was feeling lazy and didn't wanna zest a lemon.

Sounds pretty good actually, I may have to keep that recipe in mind, sounds easy enough. Just tried one last night with pork. Blended an onion, garlic, ginger and a tomato together to make a nice paste, cooked it with some cheap pork and added chilli powder, garam masala, turmeric and some salt then had it with some rice. Really tasty, super cheap and got multiple meals out of it. I don't get it when people say they can't eat healthily with little money, it's easy if you buy in bulk and are ready to do a bit more preparation.

neogeo0823 posted:

The ketogenic diet I'm on allows me to eat all the meat and fat I want, more or less, as long as I avoid sugars and carbs to a degree. I can literally have a stack of chicken skin crackers and nothing else for a snack if I want. It's kind of amazing in that regard. I'm not advocating the diet, btw, just listing that one good advantage.

That sounds pretty cool actually. I've considered the keto diet before but i just love my rice and carbs too much so I'd rather just eat less of them to lose weight than none of them at all.