Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Chemotherapy and marijuana go together like apple pie and Chevrolet.

WeezerToon posted:

If you are a carnivore like me, you can save a ton on meat by looking out for these things. For instance, this week I have the following in my freezer: A large whole chicken should be £5, i got it for £2.50; A roast beef joint (prepared by the in house butcher), worth £9, I got it for £4;2 hand prepared sirloin steaks, should be £9, reduced to £4 (£2! for an aberdeen angus sirloin!! what?!).
I once got a whole chicken in Tesco for 20p! Sometimes they do crazy reductions. The day my freezer died a few months ago was a very sad day for me, it was full of uneaten bargains. But now I have a bigger freezer to house more meat so it's not all bad.

I used to turn my nose up at reduced sticker food but now I feel ripped off paying full price for meat. I also get plenty of reduced veg as well, I got a massive bag of carrots for 32p in Co-op yesterday and they should keep for a few weeks.

At the moment a lot of supermarkets have cheap hams on offer, I'll be eating pea and ham soup for lunch for work for all of january.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

I made a fantastic Jamie Oliver recipe last night which was both good and cheap. All you do is chuck pieces of chicken in the oven with tomatoes, garlic, chilli and basil and let it cook for ages. The end result tastes utterly amazing. I've never been happy with any previous attempts I've made at cooking thighs or drumsticks before but this is foolproof.

http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/chicken-recipes/tender-chicken-legs-with-tomatoes

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

qxx posted:

Chicken goodness
I will be making this one next time. I think the key is cook the thighs and legs for as long as you'd cook a whole chicken for so they turn crispy on the outside and tender inside. I used to drown chicken pieces in a marinade which never stuck, baked it for 40 minutes and the skin was always still slimy and the chicken didn't really taste of anything.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

:argh: I was in the Co-op last night and they had massive beef roasting joints that were on half price offer AND yellow stickered. I couldn't buy any as I was going to the pub and it almost broke my heart.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

langurmonkey posted:

I saw this blog in the Guardian today, and it looks like it has some good recipes.
Below the Line Budget Recipes.
I was reading this yesterday and (aside from the creamy salmon pasta using fish paste yuk) I was really impressed. Most of the recipes are veggie as she couldn't afford meat. I'd love to know where she gets the bag of 20 vegetables for a pound.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

I've always killed basil plants or even if they manage to live they go all moldy and house tiny little rear end in a top hat flies. I now just buy a big bunch of basil and freeze it. Frozen herbs work great for adding flavour to curries, tomato sauces and stews.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Faithless posted:

BRITGOONS - Best place to buy cheap meat?
Get to know what time your supermarkets do yellow sticker reductions. I got 2 rump steaks from m&s for £1.50 a few weeks ago.

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

Bro Enlai posted:

How do people here like their lentils? Lately I've been making mine with mirepoix, wine, and a double helping of umami with fish sauce and black bean garlic sauce. Sometimes I use browned tomato paste, too. Once I fill out my spice cabinet some, I might try a dal.
Forget buying 20 different spices, just pick up a box of dal spice mix. I have a huge collection of spices and have made dal spice mix myself but find the boxed stuff is way nicer and quicker. I get a brand called Shan
which is from Pakistan.

Also I saw a recipe for lentil ragu which looks yummy, I'm going to try it out as a mince beef substitute.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beep Street
Aug 22, 2006

I have discovered the best thing to do with leftover curry and rice - mix it all up together and use it as a filling for puff pastry parcels. You can freeze them and then just pop a few in the oven when you want a tasty lunch. I eat them with yoghurt and a chilli dip.