Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CrystalRose
Sep 16, 2006

I like sparkly things

My Little Puni posted:

On more thing to ask about. My boyfriend and I work 12 hour days and usually just stock up on crackers, muffins, cup fruit, applesauce, etc. and our lunches are microwavables. This is really killing the budget, so some good meal ideas that are still great reheated would really help out too.

I think this was implied (if not said outright earlier) by the people talking about freezing food, Glad/Ziplock containers are your friend. They have lots of single serving size containers which are prefect for storing lunch-sized portions.

Try making your own “Chef Boyardee.”* It will taste better than what you get from a can, it will be healthier and (most importantly) homemade is cheaper. How much effort you want to put into this is up to you. On a really basic level you could just boil pasta, brown hamburger/ground turkey/ground chicken and add spaghetti sauce. Then just divide up your pasta into your freezer containers for quick lunches.

You can easily upgrade this idea by making your own pasta sauce, playing around with seasonings and using different meat. Buy some onion and garlic, fresh peppers, zucchini and mushrooms and cook them with the sauce. That gives you carbs, protein and veggies in one meal.

*A brand of canned pasta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU