Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I'm a big fan of buying a chicken and making the most out of that, but I'm still improving my skills, and others have said it better already..

My own ideas are:

1. don't read recipes literally...use them for ideas, and especially keep in mind what you already have in your cupboard. (following recipes literally = expensive; using recipes to get new ideas can be cheap)

2. chili...if you like it, make it your friend!
Ground beef is cheap, it's a great way to eat beans (use the dried ones, they're even cheaper than the canned ones), it's probably MADE for being the perfect food to freeze, so you can make it in bulk. Also, you can eat it with rice, roasted bread (yum), pasta (ehw), or just eat it :-)
My advice would be to make it not too hot, then you can spice it up just the way you want it when you eat a portion of it.

Oh, and yes, i eat my chili with beans...also chickpeas and/or corn if I like to freak some people out ;-)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Drimble Wedge posted:

You can still treat yourself once in a while, but don't buy chips or Doritos; if you want a munchie snack, buy a bag of popping corn (yep, just the plain kernels). Add some oil to the bottom of a large pot, add enough corn to cover the bottom, put lid on, shake. You can stuff yourself for literally pennies at a time. There's a popcorn thread a page or two down which is closed now, I think, but has loads of great ideas. You will not believe how good freshly-made popcorn is. (My favourite topping: sprinkle white vinegar on, douse with that ghetto parmesan cheese in the green can)

I've been following this thread, and lots of good suggestions have been made.
The popcorn thing however, changed my life! :-D
It cost nearly nothing and the variation is endless!! Wow!!!!
Just made myself a big bowl of choco-cayenne-popcorn
(some hot chocolate powder, a bit of cayenne powder and a drizzle of liquid butter (not too much of the latter, so it didn't get messy).
YUM

Next up: popcorn with normal spices, so I look like a normal person and all.

Anyway, this costs a couple of cents for a big bowl, that wasn't an exaggeration.
woohoo!!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
If you want to roast the veggies with the chicken, don't just use the regular root veggies. Also incorporate fennel, and slice up an orange to stick between the veggies/against the chicken.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm having my gf try mussels for the first time in a couple of days. She's apprehensive because she's not into seafood much beyond fish, and I'm hoping to expand her horizons. Anyone have a good, simple recipe for them that accents their sweetness, but doesn't leave them tough and chewy?

Yeah, heat (olive) oil in a pan and stirfry a nice amount of veggies in there (onion, garlic, carrot, leek, and whatever you like beyond that). Stir some herbs in there as well, like thyme or whatever you like, and black pepper and (not too little) salt.
When they all are spreading their aroma, throw in either white wine or a good beer, and bring it to a boil.

Then your (cleaned) mussels...lid on, shake them around, and make sure they all open (and give it a little bit beyond that)...this should take minutes, by the way, do'n overcook ;-)

Eat with fries or fresh bread and (a couple of) dipping sauce(s)

My fav for mussels is: mayo and sour cream (1:1), a good amount of mustard, parsley or chives, salt and pepper, and then thinning it down a little with white wine (do not make it too thin, though)

(hiding some mussels in a dish is not the way to go imo, this way of eating mussels is a fun way of eating them, and if she doesn't like it, she doesn't like it, and you'll just have to live with that ;-) (if she does, though, your next stop is a pan full of unpeeled shrimps :-D )

paraquat fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 29, 2013

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Business posted:

any advice for seasoning stir fry/fried rice type things without soy sauce? specifically I'm looking for a way to season this stuff that isn't so ridiculously high-sodium

I guess fish sauce is out then, too, huh?
sambal?
Loads of herbs?
Less soy sauce?
Low sodium soy sauce?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Butch Cassidy posted:

I'd roast the jalapeņo until the skin started to char and then blend it in.

Yes, I've done this as well!!(and added a tiny bit of honey as per the recipe, which turned out to be a nice addition).

My go-to hummus recipe is a basic hummus with the addition of turmeric and curry powder,
I love that that stuff

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

PUGGERNAUT posted:

Supermarket is selling huge things of red pepper paste for $3. I love peppers so I would like to buy some, but I don't know how to use it. Do I just use it like tomato paste? What veggies/meats would go best with it?

Yes, you can use it like tomato paste, and pretty much any vegetable or meat goes well with it.
that said, I spread it on a grilled cheese sandwich with chorizo...

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

CommonShore posted:

I'm thinking about pouring a (home-made high-protein multigrain) pancake batter into muffin cups and baking at 350 to make muffins that taste something like my awesome pancakes. My coworkers said it was a retarded idea. Why would this work or not work?

I did this once in the past, with a blueberrie filling, because the internet told me to do it.
mini german pancakes are a thing! google it:
https://www.google.nl/search?q=mini...pr=0.9#imgdii=_

I made a bunch of freezer burrito's, with a little ground beef, onions, bell pepper, some carrot, a can of tomatoes and loads of beans and stuff (kidney beans, black beans, corn), with chipotle in adobo, chilli powder, salt and pepper.

It took me a little over half an hour and it was too much to fill 8 medium sized tortilla wraps with (so I ate the rest)
Filled the 8 tortilla wraps with the mixture, some jalapeno pepper slices and some grated cheese,
and voila, 8 freezer burritos

So, today I heated one up in the oven (next time I'm gonna cover it with aluminum foil half of the time),
and made a salad with it (salad leaves, paprika, tomato, spring onions and a home made honey-mustard dressing)
That was an excellent, cheap and quick meal...will be making it again

paraquat fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Aug 15, 2014

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

silvergoose posted:

But for the most part, cholesterol in food isn't the cholesterol that hurts you, right?

Well, if your diet is varied and you don't eat too much, everything is good for you.
even the "healthy fish you should eat" is bad if you eat it more than once or twice a week (due to heavy metals)

I wouldnt worry about vitamin a toxicity due to eating liver, as was mentioned earlier.....you'll get sick of eating liver everyday waaaaay before you've consumed too much vitamin a,

anyway, eat various things and everyone will be fine, that's the message
hell even water will kill you if you drink too much of it,

and yes, you can eat the bad kind of cholesterol, with prawns for example....but they're yummie, so if you are healthy, just enjoy it once in a while

edit to add that I'll make an exception to my rules for any allergygirls on planes....

paraquat fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 20, 2014

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
only frozen food I use is peas (and food I freeze myself of course)
but that's mainly because I'm lucky enough to be able to buy pretty cheap fruit and vegetables.

And yeah, I saw that...budgetbytes is a great site.

atm I'm making these
http://hostthetoast.com/bacon-cheddar-caramelized-onion-and-potato-pierogi/
very cheap, although it needs a side of mushrooms or a batch of onions for health reasons and all

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Adult Sword Owner posted:

There's no other way to prepare rice at work though? Monopolizing the microwave for a full half hour is not realistic. I know per cup its pretty bad but compared to Eating Out its a huge improvement, no?

Re: Aldi I was actually pretty impressed last time I went into one, but their limited produce selection SUCKS. Not just due to the amount and selection, its actually Not Good produce. Their tomatoes came squishy and were oddly difficult to cut up and had straight up sprouted mold after a single day.

Rice is one of those things that heat rather well and very fast in a microwave....dont buy parboiled rice

Lidl is GREAT, except for their produce, I agree, but other than that, I prefer most of their stuff to my expensive supermarket

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I reheat rice at work all the time because work is 35 miles from the nearest gas station, let alone the nearest eatery or grocery store. If you cook your rice properly, heating it up is no big deal. You cover your rice in the microwave, right? This helps a lot, too.

Yep, covering is the secret!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Mayo from the store has sugar in it most of the time. Sugar does not belong in mayonaise. Don't buy mayo it sucks.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

tonberrytoby posted:

The immigrant areas. Same as most other really cheap food. I buy most of my meat at a Turkisch butcher, he charges the same as the supermarket but has much better quality. He just doesn't sell pork.

I have a lot of Turkish butchers right around the corner. the lack of pig doesn't bother me, as I seldom eat it anyway. on the plus side, they have an enormous amount of dead sheep and they have goat.
on the up/down downside, they have very weird cows...its always too lean, but not enough to not braise it (dunno how to explain it better)
Nowadays, I know where to shop for the right meat.

question: I always see them carrying in complete creatures, but they hardly sell any offal...is that haram or something?

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

ibntumart posted:

You know, I read that a lot, but for the life of me I have never successfully made mayonnaise.

use this, or any other recipe,
and an immersion blender....it's quick and foolproof
(do remember to let your eggs reach room temperature before use, or the mayo might refuse to come together)

http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/10/two-minute-mayonnaise.html

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Rurutia posted:

I think if your eggs are too old, that'll happen too. I've been making mayo like this for years, then one day my fiance asks me for a burger with mayo on it.

I went through something like 10 eggs and none of them came together because the eggs were 2 weeks old.

drat, by that time you were probably out of oil as well :-D

anyway, good addition!

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

tonberrytoby posted:

Mine sells lots of liver and tripe. And I think he also keeps a lot of stuff in the back that you have to ask for, unless it is on sale.

Ah, oke, thanks!!

I have about 6 of them in the street,
only one of them sells kidneys sometimes, the others never sell offal
there's only one smelly place I hardly ever enter that sells brains (they could be human)

anyway, I googled it as well, and its indeed not haram, but it takes effort to not make it so, or something...I'll talk to one of the butchers about it (not that I'm in need of offal, but I just want to learn about this)

Google tought me that there's a lot more haram then I thought anyway,
I knew about pigs and eel, but they can't have carnivores either, and flies, lice, and other things that are generally thought of as being "yuck" (they used a better term).....
I wonder how well the latter goes, as any jar from the shop you open is allowed to contain a certain amount of insects.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
I bought basil in a pot because I needed it for dinner when a friend came over.
We went out for dinner instead and the basil plant stood on my table for a couple of days, before I decided I didn't like the smell and I'm not a basil fan either, so it didn't get eaten.

placed it outside, and it got some rain on it the second day, that made half of the plant collapse..lovely thing.

then I watered it regularly, as i was watering other plants in the garden anyway and I was too lazy to throw it out.

After a few weeks, the thing began to grow like weed; in one week time after that, it became so big that it looked ridiculous on the little table I had placed it on.

Anyway, it kept growing and growing and in the end i threw the whole thing out as I had an incredible amount of drosophila-like little flies in the kitchen, and the internet told me they came from the soil in the basil pot.
The flies indeed left with the basil.

the end.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Bro Enlai posted:

How do people here like their lentils? Lately I've been making mine with mirepoix, wine, and a double helping of umami with fish sauce and black bean garlic sauce. Sometimes I use browned tomato paste, too. Once I fill out my spice cabinet some, I might try a dal.

I like to treat red lentils as if it were ground beef and make 'sloppy lentil joe's' with it.
so I use an onion, green paprika, spanish pepper, garlic, tomato, lentils of course, mustard, worcestershiresauce, brown sugar, some bouillon...throw it on a bun (preferably with a piece of cheddar)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

neogeo0823 posted:

This makes a good amount of sense though. Really, I just need to find something that's easy to reheat that's also relatively high carb for breakfast. I can look around and find something that'll work. That muffin-tin-biscuit idea is starting to sound more appealing though.

stir fried rice is easy to freeze and reheat,

also, couscous is easy to make in big batches, easy to reheat and even very nice when eaten cold
I make a version with chickpeas, onions, ginger, red pepper, orange zest, orange juice, chicken stock and a bit of chili powder and salt,
and I love taking it to work for a cold meal if I have any leftovers.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

The Lord Bude posted:

fried rice is excellent for breakfast. This little place near me does fried rice with wok fried egg, pulled pork and this ridiculously spicy thai sauce.

That sounds so so great...guess I need to experiment more and take my fried rice to the next level!! (I'm lacking little places with great fried rice near me, lol)

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

That Works posted:

You will probably get an infinite variety thrown at you but for me you can't go wrong with lightly browning a bit of garlic in hot fat and adding in cumin and paprika.

don't forget to start with onion though, because.....................onion

(edit to add that everyone is assuming you will add salt to taste/as needed, captkirk)

paraquat fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 27, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
actually, it sounds like a lesser version of dragon noodles from budget bytes
http://www.budgetbytes.com/2012/08/spicy-noodles/
....which is what i'm going to eat tonight!

paraquat fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 25, 2015

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp
Beside the usual cheese sandwiches, I like to take leftover couscous with chickpeas to work.

Normally I bake some finely diced onions, sweet pointed pepper, orange zest, red pepper and fresh ginger.
Toss some chili powder over it, then squeeze the juice out of the orange.
Add golden raisins and chickpeas. Then an equal amount of chicken bouillon (mL) and couscous (gram).
Stir it, turn of the fire, let it rest for 5 to 25 minutes before stirring and eating it.

if you let it cool down, it can be kept in the fridge for 5 days.
Great cold as well as warmed up in the microwave.

oh, don't forget to toss some spring onions over it before you eat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

Massasoit posted:

Has anyone tried ordering bulk beans from here?

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/38111/dried-beans.html

60-80 c/lbs. In the store around me its about 1.20-1.50/lbs depending on the bean.

haven't tried it, but out of curiosity: did you include shipping costs when calculating/comparing the costs?