Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I agree a reorganization is probably in order. You have three upper cabinets, and two are full of cups, mugs, and Tupperware. That's nuts. Keep 2-3 cups and 2-3 mugs in a convenient place. The rest you very rarely need so you can store them way out of the way. Sort through your Tupperware and put what's left in a lower cabinet (pot lids can go on the racks with their pots, oils should probably be higher). Then you have a ton more space in your upper cabinets for food.

In my opinion, don't worry about decanting prepackaged, resealable foods -- it looks cuter but it's more hassle and takes up no less space. If you buy in bulk, or the packages are really inconvenient or can't be resealed, then they should go into square/rectangular containers, ideally organized by use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Microwaves usually have defrost settings. After using that a few times, you'll be much better about remembering to pull something out in the morning.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Like he says, you don't baste while it's in the oven because you don't want to create steam. After you take it out and get ready to eat it, you aren't going to create steam in the oven.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I think what cooks out is mostly fat, which smokes more than steaming? (Open your windows when you're using that recipe, btw!) That said, I don't baste mine at the end either.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
If it would be spoiled when you thaw it, it would be spoiled when you cook it. Except cooking it would also waste the other ingredients.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
You should really do the math. Almost all of my electricity & gas bill is for infrastructure and fees, and has nothing to do with the amount I actually use. Even if you want to cut down your power bill, like you say, stuff like heat, lights, and big appliances are much lower-hanging fruit that also take a ton more energy. Like you say, the amounts you're talking about are like two cents. If you save that much at every meal for an entire month, you've saved $1.80.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
And eat four avocados that night?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

you need to use it same day

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Penzey's is amazing and cheaper than standard grocery store McCormick as well as being ten times better. If you purchase literally everything upfront, it's still gonna add up. But if you're okay with building up over the course of a year or so, Penzey's has a mindblowing number of deals, freebies, and samples.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Feel free to look around, I linked two of the big crates, but they have a bunch of smaller boxes that you can mix and match if you're into baking or barbecuing or you don't need a pepper grinder or whatever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
Turkeys are hella cheap this year. I've only seen them as low as $0.70 after Thanksgiving before, and this year Key Food is doing I think $0.39/lb with an additional $50 purchase. I'm gonna break it down too, but since it's so cheap now I'm gonna do it before Thanksgiving instead of after as usual.