Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Thepossiblelight posted:

lucked out at big lots, found a ten pounder of oatmeal for six bucks. one of my favorite foods is oatmeal with peanut butter. i like to sweeten it with honey.
it's a filling and nutritious dish if you can find the ingredients cheap.

This is absolutely true, and the best oatmeal is either steel-cut oats toasted in a bit of butter before adding 1 part milk and 1 part water to 1 part oats, or whole oat groats coarsely chopped by whizzing for a second or two in a food processor and soaked overnight in the fridge (same liquid to oats ratio) then simmered on the stove the next morning for a few minutes to the desired thickness.

You can also soak steel-cut oats overnight so it only takes about five minutes to cook in the morning.

Additional money-saving tip that may sound gross but totally isn't: you can get big sacks of whole oats at a feed store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Pope Mobile posted:

Walgreens always has condoms on sale anyway.

Anyone have suggestions for an alternative to beans? I don't like beans. I'm weird, I know.

Do you know how many kinds of beans there are? "I don't like beans" is awfully general. What kinds of beans don't you like? Maybe try another kind, or try them prepared a different way.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

How about we don't act like dicks. Dino set me straight on my food expenses. I can't help but think that if you're spending triple what he spends on two people and frequent guests, you're managing your food budget poorly. Meat and pre-made, pre-packaged foods are expensive. I'm not going to take a moral stance on it, because I eat meat, but the poo poo is expensive. Don't make it the focus of a dish. Make it an accent. An addition to the flavor.

If you seriously can't eat any of the many, many varieties of edible beans/pulses/legumes then I really don't know what to tell you, because that's a staggering variety of foods that can be prepared in a lot of different ways with different flavors and textures. That's a lot that you're denying yourself.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I think every TJs has terrible produce. Baked goods, too. I've seen muffins go moldy in a day.

Their pasta is cheap as gently caress, though.