Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

toanoradian posted:

The reason for that is because I really know nothing. The types of fish I consume back home in Indonesia (Short mackerel, white pomfret and goldfish, if Google Translate is correct) isn't available in Melbourne. Or at least not in the usual place for buying fish. I have no idea what to do with the available kinds of fish and I'm afraid of wasting a fish.

I'll try to find more so I can ask something more specific. I'm sorry.

I do have something a bit more specific, though. I like broccoli but I don't know what to do with them besides soups or stir fry them alongside carrots with salt and oyster sauce. Any ideas?

Any good fishmonger will be able to tell you what sort of fish to use in a dish. Tell them how you want to cook the fish, what sort of dishes you want to make and they will be able to tell you what fish to buy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

silversiren posted:

I don't pretend to understand it, but this is really what happens. If I had the money to move out, I would do it right this very second, but I don't, so I have to find ways to deal with it. We have a few mini fridges around the house and I am thinking of moving one into my room, but I understand they give off a lot of heat and my room is the only room in the house that is not insulated and therefore gets very very hot during the day.
My boyfriend and I did make out own pizza sauce the other day (and the resulting pizza got thrown out the next day because according to my dad, it got left out ... even though he was the one who put it in the fridge...) and it was tasty and delicious. I suppose I could do this and just preserve a bunch of my own sauce in some jars somewhere. It doesn't really need to be refrigerated, right?

I don't understand why you don't just tell your parents "this is mine, I paid for it, keep your hands off it."

Seriously, I live with my parents, but if they threw out something i'd bought I'd pitch a fit, demand they reimburse me for them, have them reimburse fuel costs for going shopping and if I was feeling extra petty I'd demand they pay me for the time I wasted going shopping again.

Grow a pair and stand up for yourself.(it's probably too late parents need to be house trained from an early age, getting them to behave will be an uphill battle now.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Dangphat posted:

Also if you have any wholesalers or bulk supermarket you can buy together then split everything in half which will save a bundle.

On a general food economy note if you get to know your local butchers and are willing to do some fun cooking ask the butcher for off-cuts or less favoured cuts as these are likely to be cheap. Pig cheeks taste like pork belly but are a fraction of the price, pork rind you can get for free for a cheap snack, trotters are 25p each here and beef heart is a cheap alternative to stewing steak.

Pig/beef cheeks/trotters are excellent for slow cooking, but be aware that offal - liver,kidneys, brain, tripe, etc are loaded with cholesterol and not particularly good for you. They make a nice treat once in a while but they should not form part of your regular weekly diet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dino. posted:

Beans. For the love of all that's holy, beans. Get masses of chickpeas, some black beans, lentils, white beans, pinto beans, and any other kind of bean you can think of. They'll last a good long while, and they're filling. Throw down for a 20 lb bag of brown rice. Combine with beans, and you're talking about a fairly filling, inexpensive, delicious meal. A few tinned foods will help round out the corners when things are tough, and you can't afford fresh:

1) Tinned tomatoes. Find the ones without calcium chloride, as the stuff forces the tomato to stay together no matter how long you cook it. I used to hate tinned tomato until someone explained to me what to look for.

2) Tomato paste. Get the smaller ones. They're good for enriching pretty close to anything you can find, especially beans.

3) Coconut milk. It's endlessly useful in all sorts of foods, including gravies, soups, desserts, etc.

4) Corn. It's one of the few veg that I've found that tastes decent when it's been tinned. Peas taste like awful, green beans have a definite off taste, and beets taste horrific.

5) Pineapple. It's handy to have around to make chutneys, pineapple upside down cake, cocktails. Look for one that's packed in its own juice.

There's a couple of frozen foods to splurge on too, to keep you going.

1) Berries. Excellent for smoothies. Toss some juice, berries, and ice into your blender, along with bananas, and you've got a fairly nice breakfast smoothie in very little time. You just need like 1/4 cup or so of the berries to really get the taste and colour to go all the way through.

2) Peas. I find that adding frozen peas to food kind of brightens up the taste. They really add a bit of a fresh texture to the whole thing.

This likely won't be all your buying, but hopefully it gets you started. :)

The best tinned tomatoes to get are the ones with no ingredients besides tomatoes. Those made in Italy are the best.

If you aren't going to buy fresh vegetables, at least get frozen ones, not tinned. all tinned vegetables have a distinct 'vingegary' taste to them. Of course some vegetables like peas you should pretty much always be getting frozen unless you have direct access to the grower.

buy some whole spices cheap from an indian grocer, that way you can flavour your big bags of rice and beans.

Indian cuisine is great for cheap vegetarian eating.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

MuffinShark posted:

There is so much great info here. I was so inspired that I had to try this. Here is my grocery list. Trying this out to see if I can save some cash. Anyone have any advice on if these are good deals? I'm trying very hard to shop smarter.

2 - 6 lbs 99 cents - Roma Tomatoes
2 - 5 for 99 cents - Manila Mangos
2 - 8 for 99 cents - Cucumbers
3 - 89 cents pound - Peruvian Beans
1 - 60 count 3.99 - Medium Eggs
1 - 10 lb for 1.49 - Potatoes
1 - 4 lbs for 99 cents - Pineapple
1 - 99 cent - Mushrooms
2 heads - 4 for 99 cents - Iceberg Lettuce
2 - 6 for 99 cents - Bread rolls
1 - 4 lbs for 99 cents - Carrots
1 - 4 lbs for 99 cents - Tomatillo
1 - 3 lbs for 99 cents - Mexican Squash
2 - 2 lbs for 99 cents - Jalapenos
2 - 2 lbs 99 cents - White onions
1 - 3 lbs 99 cents - Pasilla Peppers
4 - 3 lbs for 99 cents - Rice
1 - 1.27 - Salsa Picante
1 - 1.87 - Sugar
1 - 6 for 99 cents - Avocados

Pounds of food -
73 (roughly)

Total Price -

Holy crap food is cheap where you live.

Roma tomatoes are about $4.50/kg here, mushrooms are about $12/kg. Any type of chilli is around $19/kg. Most of the items on your list would cost at least twice what you paid

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dino. posted:

Do you live on the moon or something? How the christ are mushrooms $12/kg? O_O

@MuffinsShark: He /does/ have money to spare. XD Choice for him means tomatoes that were watered with virgin's tears, and grown in the clear moonlight, picked only by newborn babbies, because only their skin is soft enough not to mar the perfect tomatoes.

That was the current price at the woolworths supermarket I work at in Brisbane, Australia for basic, taste like nothing button mushrooms. Proper mushrooms would be a lot more expensive, though I imagine you could get them cheaper at a farmers market. I wouldn't know, because farmers markets involve being out of bed really early in the morning.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SonicDefiance posted:

Surely you can go to a greengrocers though?

Also, I dunno why you'd need to wake up "really early in the morning" when your weekend farmer's markets are open until 12pm, and your CBD one is open every Wednesday until 6pm.

greengrocers typically have higher prices than Supermarkets, and compete on quality, not price. Australian retail (particularly food retail) is controlled largely by two companies, who are easily able to undercut small independent grocers. Woolworths for example, has fingers in every stage of the process of bringing food to the store: From the farms themselves all the way to the produce arriving in the store.

most farmers markets do most of their trade in the early morning. If you want to get the best produce, you show up at dawn, or when they open. By mid morning, much of their produce is gone and crap remains.

Also I consider being out of bed before 11am 'early'

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Apr 15, 2012

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

SonicDefiance posted:

Melbourne

From my brief but much beloved sojourn there, I can tell you that Melbourne is a magical fairy kingdom where food is ludicrously cheap, you can eat out and get nice food for $10 dollars, a coffee doesn't cost $3.80 like it does in Brisbane AND has a dramatically higher chance of being fit for drinking.

The Queen Victoria markets is the Jewel in the crown of that fantasy fairy kingdom. There is nothing remotely like that in Brisbane or Sydney, that's why it's such a massive tourist attraction. I would kill for something like that in Brisbane.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Eden posted:

Just chiming in to say that I actually do shop at the markets in Brisbane and the prices are pretty comparative to supermarket prices for most things and quality is not necessarily better.

However, if you go to the city markets on a wednesday they do really good deals at the end of the day towards closing time. At the wednesday/saturday markets at Rocklea you will have to search a bit to find good/better deals or produce but it can be worth it and one of the meat guys there makes a killer pie. Also they're open until like 7 or something on wednesdays so being lazy is not an excuse :colbert:

Edit: Also, it's not really related to budget-eating so much but is someone able to tell me why seafood is so cheap in other places adjacent to the ocean but not here (Australia)? I went to the seafood market the other weekend and it was still stupidly expensive.

It's good to know, though this will never be more than an academic exercise for me, I still live at home and have never actually had to spend my own money on groceries, or do my own shopping for that matter.

Even though Australia has extensive coastline and farmland, and is in a position to be able to largely grow its own food; (except for all the idiots who insist on having everything available year round), our food is significantly more expensive than say, the US, because of a variety of other costs which impact on retailers.

retail rents in Australian shopping centres are some of the highest in the world, petrol is significantly more expensive here than it is in the US (and we are more spread out) so transport costs are higher, and our minimum wage is very high - American retailers can hire staff at $8 or so an hour, but over here the average adult supermarket grunt earns $19 - 24. All these factors add up to higher prices, and while It doesn't specifically address the cost of seafood I imagine the reasons are similar. You only have to look at how much cheaper it is to buy imported poo poo like vannamei prawns and basa fillets, both of which come from the chemical ridden sewage pits of south east asia.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Moey posted:

Does anyone make onion or garlic powder themselves? Google makes it seem very simple. Would this be worth it or just a waste of time?

Onions are like 70cents/pound. Garlic is normally $1 for 5 heads.

I don't understand why anyone would use powdered onion/garlic instead of fresh. Onions and garlic are a basic staple of the kitchen that are readily available year round.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

nocturama posted:

Not really true

If you are rejecting the notion that Asafoetida tastes like arsehole then you are correct. As far as recipes using it instead of garlic and onion, there is, as far as I can recall, a particular Hindi sect in the Kashmir region that doesn't eat onion and garlic for religious reasons, and they substitute Asafoetida powder, so many recipies that originate in that region would not use onions and garlic. This is however not true of the majority of Indian Cuisine.

Indian Cuisine is great for cheap and tasty cooking, and nothing beats it if you want to reduce your meat intake while still cooking lovely food. If you are the sort of person who likes having cookbooks, I really recommend this one for cheap, home style Indian cooking:

http://www.amazon.com/From-Mom-love-Complete-Entertaining/dp/0976185121/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340114172&sr=8-1&keywords=from+mom+with+love

It's a tad annoying for me, because I have to convert the measurements to metric but most of you reading this are American so it shouldn't be an issue for you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Pookah posted:

I've been making Kedgeree recently since my oven conked out -I started with this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10421/kedgeree

But ended up pretty much doubling the spices and cooking the rice in fish stock instead of water, and it is delicious, cheap and wholesome. This is what I do:

For 2 helps:

150g smoked haddock, cod, coley etc,
1/4 cup milk
NO eggs
handful chopped parsley

FOR THE RICE
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp ghee
1 large onion , finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp curry powder
150g easy-cook long grain rice , rinsed under running water
Bit of creme fraiche

For the rice, heat the oil in a large, lidded pan, add the onion and garlic then gently fry for 5 mins until softened but not coloured. Add the spices and bay leaf, season with salt ( personally I don't add salt because fish + stock are already pretty salty ), then continue to fry until the mix start to go brown and fragrant; about 3 mins.

Add the rice and stir in well. Add 300ml fish stock, stir, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, then cover for 10 mins. Take off the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 10-15 mins more. The rice will be perfectly cooked if you do not lift the lid before the end of the cooking.

Meanwhile, put the smoked fish into a pot. Cover with the milk, then poach for 10 mins until the flesh flakes. Remove from the milk, peel away the skin, then flake the flesh into thumbsize pieces. Gently mix the fish, parsley, and rice together in the pan. Throw in 2 heaped teaspoons of creme fraiche if it's around .

Stir it all about and stuff it into you.

Edit: Properly kedgeree has hardboiled egg slices sitting on top but I don't really see why - they just break up and are messy if you stir them in, and if you don't they just sit all incongruously on the top?

I would imagine that kedgeree has the eggs because it is traditionally a breakfast food, and the Brits who invented it couldn't stomach the thought of not eating eggs at breakfast.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

I'd rather eat bison, but they were just so darn fun to shoot, and the hump was apparently delicious. Plus you could drag the intestines through the coals and eat it like a giant string of spaghetti, points for doing it as a solid piece. I am not kidding.

Anyway back on topic, I made what seems like traditional poor European food. I cut up a bunch of cabbage, a bunch of potatoes, put them in a glass oven tray, cut up a bunch of bacon and fried it up with some onions, pour it all over the cabbage and potatoes, slammed it in the oven for an hour and a half. Came out pretty good but it really seems like I'm just being a fat American eating too much calories if I didn't slave in the fields to harvest those crops.

Plus I think it was $3 total. One onion, 3 potatoes, 1 head of cabbage, 1/3rd pound of bacon. I probably could have served it with noodles but I was too lazy.

I seem to think there should be cream involved here somewhere...

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Authentic You posted:

Oh man, I was at the store today to pick up some milk or something, and they were unloading massive chunks of BOGO roasts (pretty decent roast cut, too), so I got two giant delicious pieces of beef for under three bucks a pound. Not as cheap as the pork roasts, but I just can't put pork in vindaloo. Along with some onions, potatoes, and a big can of tomatoes (and spices I already had), I made a over week's worth of lunches and dinners for like $16. Add rice to extend it further, and you have like.. 2 $1 meals per day for over a week.

Oh, and I also threw in some soup bones that have been leeching their marrowy nutrition and deliciousness into the pot, so it's extra hearty. I swear, whenever I forget to add the bone, the soup/stew/curry I make isn't nearly as filling. I'll frequently buy sections of beef shank because it's cheap and also has that nice piece of marrow bone in the middle. I saw some boneless shanks at the store one time for the same price as the regular shanks. loving ripoff. :mad:

Also, I think I just made my housemate's day. She just got in and remarked on how delicious it smelled. I told her she could go grab some vindaloo and rice because there is a fuckton of it. Turned out she hadn't eaten dinner yet, and it's pretty late here. :3: I love having delicious food around for people to eat.

You do realize that vindaloo is SUPPOSED to be made with pork right? The dish has its origins in a watery Portugese dish where pork was pickled in vinegar and garlic. When the Portugese colonized the goan region of India the dish was adapted to Indian tastes with additional spices, but the basic premise of the dish is a nice fatty pork shoulder marinated in vinegar and a fuckton of garlic with some kind of sweetening agent added.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

I have never, ever seen or heard it offered in pork. It might have started out that way but it's not a popular preparation at all.

For some reason the majority of Indian migrants who have opened restaurants in Western countries have been muslim indians, who do not eat pork. This has skewed western perception of Indian cuisine towards muslim indian recipes. You only have to look at a traditional Hindi rogan josh from Kashmir to find a dish that is unrecognisable to the one commonly found in western restaurants. The Goan region where modern Indian vindaloo was born has a large Christian population, due to the portugese influence. This is one of the only areas in India where you can find pork widely consumed.

In any event, try the dish with pork shoulder, it's delicious. I'm about to go to bed, but I will contribute my vindaloo recipe tomorrow if people are interested.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Saint Darwin posted:

I plan to, I was going to make one at some point anyway since I'm showing my girlfriend Red Dwarf and all. I have to figure out if I can make it at non-lava levels since she does not handle heat.

That seems like blasphemy though!

The fundamental flavour combination that defines a vindaloo is vinegar and garlic, along with something sweet to counterbalance the vinegar. It doesn't need to be hot to be a vindaloo.

I still plan to post my recipe, but it needs a bit of editing for clarity, and I've had a busy work day, so tomorrow some time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ganna Grenade posted:

Picked a up couple of salmon heads for under $2/lb a couple of weeks ago on a whim, but now they stare accusingly at me whenever I open the freezer. Any suggestions? Is salmon too fatty for a general fish stock?

Indians frequently use salmon in Curry. Strip off the flesh and currify.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, carrots are cheap and add body. They also add flavour and sweetness, there's a reason why they are in a mirepoix.
I normally chuck them into a base of a soffritto, sofrito, holy trinity, curry and anything else too.
I don't understand anyone putting sugar in a sauce when they could add carrots. Could just be me though, I always have carrots in the fridge as they are one of the cheapest vegetables.

I thought it was onions, garlic and celery, or onions, garlic and herbs (parsley or basil- not sure which)

A traditional bolognese is finely diced onion, carrot and celery to form the flavour base, and then typically beef and pork mince, along with broth, and maybe tomato. Most other ingredients would start chilli style sperg wars.

Personally, I'm very fond of a slight adaptation of this Jamie Oliver recipe:

http://www.jamieshomecookingskills.com.au/recipe.php?title=bolognese-sauce-with-pasta

I use 50/50 beef/pork mince, and I typically use beef broth rather than water and I add twice as much cheese.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

THE MACHO MAN posted:

This has been my go to

http://foodnouveau.com/2010/09/destinations/europe/italy/how-to-make-an-authentic-bolognese-sauce/

I've tried with cream instead of milk. I don't particularly have a preference for either. Definitely beef broth, preferably homemade both for taste and cost

Even milk can be controversial really... I personally don't think it adds much. I add 100g or so of grated parmigiano reggiano to the sauce at the end instead...makes it oranger, gives more flavour.

I do add oregano and basil, it upsets people who insist on sperg level authenticity but it isn't too ridiculous and it tastes good.

I do want to try pancetta instead of bacon, and the wine.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I chop the basil stalks and add them early on. The basil leaves on the other hand, I tear and stir through at the end once I've turned the stove off, but before serving.

I like to serve it with Tagliatelle.

It's also worth saying that proper Parmigianino Reggianno (hint: it must come from Italy to qualify) adds the best flavor by a long shot, but I realize that it costs $60 per kg, and that this is the cheap food thread, so maybe save it for a special occasion and use parmesan the rest of the time.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

mystes posted:

when Parmigiano Reggiano just isn't good enough

Winows phone was incapable of Auto correcting it. I had to guess.

Besides, this is Goons with Chickencheese. Not Goons in Spelling bees.

Sorry if you got confused.

The Lord Bude fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jun 12, 2013

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

I laughed way too hard at this.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be doing shows all week who am I kidding, I'll be here till the dying breath of the internet.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Ron Jeremy posted:

I have three boys under the age if 8. We drink a fuckload of milk. Mrs. RJ insists on buying organic milk. We can go through 15 gallons a month. Buying organic costs us ~$45 extra a month. Worth it?

At a minimum it means the milk has been tampered with as little as possible. The majority of full cream milk isn't actually full cream... Some of the fat has been removed,but the milk still meets whatever arbitrary standard the government sets for it to still be labeled full cream. Often the milk gets watered down with permeate, and different brands subject the milk to more rigorous pasteurization, which alters the flavour.

If you look for milk that has no added permeate, and has a minimum fat content over 4.2g/100g you should be getting perfectly good milk.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Breaky posted:

It's amazing how many people have no idea how to cook a vegetable / how good a properly cooked vegetable is.

Carrots.

Take a glass dish, rub the bottom and sides with butter, take 7-10 whole carrots, unpeeled and washed, soften some butter and rub the carrots lightly with it, place in dish and preheat an oven to 400F. Cover the dish with foil, bake for 1h. Uncover and turn carrots after cooking, return to oven if needed to get a good browning on both sides.

These come out amazing and sweet. Everyone I've cooked them for raves about them. The only trick is actually getting them to brown and not overcrowding the cooking dish so they don't just steam up and get mushy. Once you get this 'right' it's one of the cheapest easiest and best tasting side dishes I've made.

If you're roasting carrots, a trick I learned from reading Jamie oliver is that carrots love oranges. Add freshly squeezed orange juice, garlic and thyme along with the butter and they come out great. A bit of cumin is also fabulous to add.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Korma is probably the mildest, most general appeal curry. I have an excellent recipe for veggie korma if anyone wants it, but I didn't put it together with a view to cooking on a budget so it may need some adapting to be suited to this thread.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

I'm looking for some relatively quick recipes that are generally diet friendly. Not really any specific diet, so much as a eat-loving-less diet. My only real constraint is time. I work Monday through Friday, 8:30 - 5, so big crockpot meals are out except for the weekends. Quicker meals are better for the weeknights.

Also, anyone have any good ideas for add-ins and flavorings for hummus? I just got done with a spinach and artichoke hummus that was kind of all right, but not amazing. My standard flavor for hummus has been 5 spice powder and red pepper flakes, but I'm always looking for new ways to flavor the stuff.

Garlic hummus. With chopped Jalapenos.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

A Rambling Vagrant posted:

One technique that's made my life as an impoverished-food-eater a lot easier is giant fuckoff-batches of caramelized onions.
Slice 3-4 onions, lightly oil giant cast-iron, sprinkle w/ salt and a touch of baking soda(to lower ph and facilitate caramelization). Cover; cook on low for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft. Take off lid. Cook on med-low, stirring constantly, for 30 minutes or as long as it takes for your onions to turn into shriveled blackened concentrated deliciousness.

Once you've got a couple of cups of caramelized onions you can use them to gussie up all of yr favorite poor-people foods.

Fried rice? Throw in some caramelized onions and laugh at the fact that people pay good money at restaurants for things less tasty than this.
Is that a fish you cooked, good sir? Top yr fish with blackened strands of sweet n' savory allium. Doff your chef-cap, homey, that fish might as well be speaking with a Parisian accent, it's so sophisicated.
Eggs? Sheeeit, son, your omelette is about to hop the train to French-inspired high-cuisine flavor town. Chugga whoo-whoo. Crown fried eggs with a tiara of onion. Yolk and caramelization ahoy. Your toast won't know what hit it.
Beans? Aw man, puree or molcajete a couple-a tbsp caramelized onions and add them into your refritos or black beans. poo poo's unreal.

Realtalk: Spending 40 minutes once a week or 2 babysitting a pan of onions is one of the best time-investments a poor person with taste can make.

Have you tried adding a dash of balsamic vinegar to your onions?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

for sale posted:

Self check out is a godsend for Thieves because that little change funnel doesn't care about how many pennies I am using to pay for two organic grapefruits that I punched in as the cheap white kind LIKE A FUCKIN' THIEF.

I fixed that for you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

for sale posted:

Thanks, I forgot this forum was half autistic.

You're welcome! Now if only I can give all my customers red texts as well I'll be a happy man. (Maybe they can appear on their foreheads or something.)

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

In my experience they primarily serve as a buffer to soak up excess customers during a random surge so we don't have to pull people from other departments and stick them on a register every 20 mins or so. You still have plenty of people (especially older folk) who won't use them, they absolutely suck to use if you have more than half a dozen or so items, and you still have to have a staff member or two standing by to discourage stealing/ perform overrides/answer questions and of course to ensure nobody can leave the store without being searched like they would at a full service checkout.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Self checkouts make it so much nicer to buy condoms, pregnancy tests, and wart creams. No glaring eye from the cashier.

I have only ever twice lost my professional composure as a checkout operator in this situation.

The first occasion was when a coworker purchased 20 boxes of condoms at my register as part of his preparatory shopping trip for Schoolies. (Schoolies is a quaint Australian tradition whereby kids (most of whom are 17) spend the week after the final week of highschool on the Gold Coast - or other similar trashy beachfront tourist cities in other states - with no parental supervision having one giant week long party; getting blind drunk in hotel rooms from Alcohol illegally supplied by parents and older siblings/friends; then having large amounts of sex/dancing on the beach in their tens of thousands/rioting and trashing public property.)

The second occasion was when a customer mulling over the various creams dropped his trousers and asked for my professional opinion on what cream would work best on his Arse-rash.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

for sale posted:

Oh no wonder why you're angry and humorless, you're stuck in a bullshit job.

Actually I love my Job and derive significant humour from it. I particularly enjoy catching shoplifters and putting problem customers in their place, it's like a sport to me.

And packing bags is like getting to play one giant game of Tetris all day long.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

So since the recipe thread fell off the boards, I'm hoping I can get some good ideas here. I've got 6 bone in, skin on chicken thighs, 3/4ths of a box of arborio rice, a bunch of chicken stock base, a decently sized sweet potato, a green pepper, carrots, sweet onion, celery, and $15 to last me till Tuesday. Can anyone help me come up with some ideas for it?

I'm thinking of making a big pot of something stew-like, or at least something that I don't have to pay too much attention to as I cook it. I figure, roast the thighs, use the drippings to make a roux, add chicken stock, whole thighs minus skin, veggies, and rice, and let simmer till thick and creamy. If anyone has other ideas, I'm definitely willing to hear them.

I think you have the right idea - some sort of stew or curry perhaps if you have any spices saved up. Maybe spend some of that $15 on some cheap rice/pasta/potatoes/legumes to bulk out the meals. (I know you have arborio rice but I have no idea how much '3/4ths of a box' works out to - I'd say you need half a cup dry weight per person per meal) If you have leftover from the $15 maybe some other veggies if you can find something cheap to add in for variety.

Is this your only food till then or are you excluding breakfast stuff? Because if not you really should spend some of your leftover money on rolled oats (or steelcut if you can get them) it's a very filling nutritious and cheap meal.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

I made a decent potato leek soup last night. It made about 8 cups for pretty cheap.

2 leeks
1 sweet potato
2 russets
6 cups chicken broth (I use Better than Bouillon)
Few pieces garlic
Dried herbs
Few tbsp milk
Optional: fresh cilantro

Chop up the leeks, sauteed in ooil. Not evoo. Chop up potatoes, sautee with leeks till they color change. Grate on garlic, stir 30 seconds. Add in chicken broth bring to boil. Throw in dried herbs. Cook 20 minutes. Mash in pan or if you're brave blender it. Stir in milk. Let it stay below boiling a few minutes. Spoon into bowls top with cilantro.

Leeks are really the only semi expensive thing.

Potato and leek soup is amazing if you grate a nice sharp cheddar into it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Kaptain K posted:

Somebody give me a truly incredible hummus recipe and/or general hummus-making tips and tricks since the ingredients are typically always the same.

Query #2 is I'm considering throwing a jalapeno into my hummus because I have a bunch in my fridge - is this a big mistake? If I do proceed is it okay to blend in raw? I always put raw jalapeno into my guacamole so considering the same principle.

Jalapeno is delicious in hummus; but the jalapeno Hummus I've had doesn't blend it - it's just stirred through in little bits.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

dino. posted:

Heat pan on stove. Add kraut. When hot, turn off.

Do you think this would work well in combination with your previous recipe for sweet jackfruit?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

All this talk of zucchini, and not one mention of the flowers, which are the best part of the plant! stuffed fried zucchini flowers are the best.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Just remember that liver isn't something you should make a habit of eating often. It's loaded with cholesterol and incredibly bad for you.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

CommonShore posted:

Noted.

I have one smaller piece left. The dredged/fried/topped with onions was ok, but too much for me for one sitting. By the end I had a thicker, sinewy piece that I just tossed because I was full.

Any other simple ideas for what I can try with that second chunk?

I think the Brits put it in pies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Liver is not bad for you unless it's polar bear liver and you have a shakleton thing happening. Try again.

I disagree, and so does every doctor and dietitian I've asked over the years.. Offal has the highest concentration of cholesterol of any meat, and liver also has so much vitamin A that you can actually get harmful amounts of it.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2004/jan/16/medicineandhealth.food

http://www.everydayhealth.com/high-cholesterol-pictures/ten-high-cholesterol-foods-to-avoid.aspx#10

Perhaps I was overdoing it when I called it 'incredibly bad for you' - It's not a giant tub of icecream or anything - it still isn't something you should be eating a meal of on even a weekly basis.