Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007
In addition to all the advice above me, check this out:

http://cheaphealthygood.blogspot.com/2009/02/1-chicken-17-healthy-meals-26-bucks-no.html

All the recipes in the post are delicious. In addition, that blog in particular has a ton of awesome recipes with cost info for each one. Stock your kitchen with herbs and spices like others have said to really drive the cost down.

Also echoing the advice above to save your various giblets, organs, bones, and other unused parts in the freezer. Also, save the butt ends of your vegetables - ends of onions, the stem sections of carrots, etc. Once you have a couple pounds of animal bones, through them in a pot with all the vegetable parts and a gallon or two of water, bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 4 - 8 hours on a saturday. or day off from work. Enjoy your new chicken broth, and freeze it in 1 cup portions to use later in stews and chilis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

dino. posted:

biriyani

I made this last night and it's delicious. Thanks for introducing me to Manjula's Kitchen, dino.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

thegasman2000 posted:

Bricks are cool but splitting them down is a bitch. With the flat bag method you can snap a corner off if if only for one or whatever.

I use a few ziploc containers and a 1-cup measuring cup to freeze my broth or soup in 1 cup bricks - after they're frozen, run the bottom of the container under a little warm water, pop out the bricks, place in giant bag, place bag of bricks in freezer, and repeat until no more soup. Makes measuring easy, since everything's already in 1 cup increments.

gmc9987
Jul 25, 2007

silversiren posted:

It doesn't really need to be refrigerated, right?

:catstare:

food poisoning is not fun, please put your homemade, non-pasteurized sauce in a minifridge and not just sitting out in the middle of your super-hot non-insulated room.

Also try using the money you save to move out, that doesn't sound like a good living situation at all :(.

edit: I am bad at typing today.

gmc9987 fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 9, 2012