Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Rule .303 posted:

Soak a cup of beans overnight or longer. A week is too long but anytime shorter is good. What you are trying to do is get the beans to think it is time to germinate so they start breaking down the indigestible sugars that make you fart.

I know this is half joking but seriously don't soak your beans more than a day, because they'll start fermenting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All I can say is "enjoy" because I can't even look at that stuff.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
No poo poo, I never would have guessed that! I know what I'm buying next time I need produce.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Moey posted:

Does anyone make onion or garlic powder themselves? Google makes it seem very simple. Would this be worth it or just a waste of time?

Onions are like 70cents/pound. Garlic is normally $1 for 5 heads.

I think its more like "whats the point" since onion and garlic powder taste way worse than onion and garlic.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

dino. posted:

Wait, seriously? You want to do this to yourself? Calculate the cost of how much those onions/garlics will shrink down, the amount of electricity it will take to run the oven for that long, and the amount of gently caress-off annoying labour involved in flipping over row after row of sliced onion or garlic. Onion/garlic powder aren't so expensive as to make this level of torture and ingredients cost worthwhile.

Yeah, seriously, they're a buck apiece, and if the taste was important, you'd just cook and eat garlic and onions.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

GrAviTy84 posted:

I would guess that the unilateral haters use inferior and/or stale powders.

That, or they just use onions and garlic, which are cheap, taste better, and take a minute to prep. Like there are specific uses of onion and garlic powder (like the aforementioned rubs and stuff like sous vide) but it's really not an every day thing.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 14:55 on May 13, 2012

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Moey posted:

Now to find a crock pot! Thanks guys.

Don't spend more than 30 bucks!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Making bread is a joy. Even if you don't want to do it regularly, at least give it a try and see what a difference fresh bread makes.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Dabbo posted:

Just did the no knead bread and holy poo poo even if its technically more expensive im making all of my own bread from now on. Making and using bread you made from scratch fuckin owns

Glad to see you liked it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

TheNothingNew posted:

I'm kind of surprised they didn't budget for a daily multi-vitamin. Or maybe they did and I missed it in skimming. Those things are expensive, though.

Uh, not really. You can get 90 days of a multivitamin for like 4 dollars, unless you think what brand's on the label actually means something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Logiwonk posted:

OK, so what do I do with them besides slice them thin and put them on salad?

Pickle them. Pickled radishes are excellent.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Also borscht with sour cream turns a nice pleasant color and it tastes awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Beet gratin is especially cool because unlike a lot of vegetables you can bake the hell out of it and it will never lose its shape or go mushy.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
All you'd really need is a sealable container and a nice cool place to put them, they're good for a couple years.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It could be worse, since like you say that's their deal offer and it probably goes for 7-8 dollars per pound. 5 per pound is pretty reasonable for shrimp, though you'll hear a lot about where you should and should definitely not buy shrimp from.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Mulefisk posted:

I though that carrot, along with celery was one one of the staples of a traditional bolognese sauce.

Yeah, and that's clearly what the sugar is meant to replace, the natural sweetness of carrot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Sarkimedes posted:

Are Polish grocery stores particularly good for anything other than sauerkraut? There's a couple near me, and I'm wondering if they might be better than Aldi/Lidl for certain foods.

Horseradish cream. Pickled anything.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I will never, ever understand people just tossing the wings in the stock pot like the wing isn't the most delicious treat on the whole bird. Unless you just mean the wing tips or the bones or something.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I assume he means the wing tips. When I buy whole wings, I always cut off the wing tips and freeze them until I have a great big bag. They contain a ton of collagen, and will give a lot of body to your stock.

Oh, this I know. People always say it as "wings" and it just seemed weird to me. I hope they're just using the tips and not missing out.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I will say though that when I roast a chicken, the wings never make it to the table. That's because as soon as I pull it out of the pan, I pull off the wings and eat them myself. Because dammit I deserve them.

I take them off and roast them separately so I don't have to even wait for the bird to finish.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

bombhand posted:

Hell. Buy chicken bones. I can get enough chicken carcasses to fill my pressure cooker for two or three bucks, noting that chicken up here in Canada is more expensive in general than down in the US. Most butcher shops that carry chicken will have chicken carcasses available (often frozen), left over from when they break down whole chickens. If you use a lot of stock but don't necessarily buy chicken all the time (or can't afford to), this is a great way to keep your stock supply healthy.

That said, I've come across a couple butchers that price their chicken bones fairly high, so YMMV even between stores within the same area.

A lot of retailers sell chicken backs like this, in addition to beef bones, pig knuckles, etc so you can make thick, rich stocks for very little money.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bob Morales posted:

Look in the sausage area!

Best thing is, Mexican chorizo is so drat rich that you won't want too much in whatever you're cooking. Chorizo con Huevos is my go-to heart attack breakfast.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I think he more means that cashiers get annoyed when you try to pay for poo poo with a bunch of pennies.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Leper Residue posted:

Hell, there's a youtube channel I used to subscribe to called "Depression Cooking" where this old lady who lived during the depression taught you how to cook on like 75 cents a day. When eating said food I understood the meaning, cause I just felt depressed the whole time. I say buy quality ingredients and learn how to make them last, not lovely ingredients and eat them all at once. I'm much happier for it.

I love this channel.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Leper Residue posted:

Oh yeah, the channel is awesome. I love watching that little old lady talking about the depression and making the food. But seriously,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51VhG8MKxJYHere you can watch her pick dandelions from the neighborhood and eat a big ol' bowl of dandelions. No thank you.

Dandelion greens are pretty good.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

stuxracer posted:

This is the farmer's market I go to... always some things that are cheap, but you can spend a fortune if you aren't buying at the right times or looking for specific items.

Even Kroger/Publix can be cheaper at times and they are usually expensive as hell.

On the broccoli discussion. If you steam the stalks they will mash up pretty decently - I've been in a habit of mixing them with potatoes when I do mashed potatoes. Really good imo.

Is this DeKalb? This remains bar none the best farmer's market I've ever been to. I still have spices from them from like 2-3 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's so loving good. Good selection of teas, amazing seafood and their turkey chorizo was really fantastic.