Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheats
Sep 28, 2007

strange sisters

Canning was only mentioned once (that I noticed, anyway), so I'm bringing it up again. If you have the space to store food, canning is worth the time and the initial investment in supplies. In the warmer months, stock up on fruits and vegetables and spend some weekends canning. Anything from whole tomatoes to stock (if pressure canned) to applesauce can be canned, and each of those is one less pre-made thing you have to buy. Sometimes I'll even make a single jar of something like banana jam, just to use up a banana that's gotten a little old. There are tons of resources online for canning. My favorites are Food In Jars, The USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning, and Awesome Pickle (which is more science-focused than the other two, but still useful).

Recently my partner was paid for a job in part with an old 30-gallon ceramic crock, so she's going to try making sauerkraut as well using this guide. Crocks are pretty easy to find second hand, or by going through the garages of elderly relatives.

Can the poo poo out of everything!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU