Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Get a rice cooker from the salvation army, put rice and cheap meat and veggies in it, push button. You can put raw meat in it and it'll be cooked by the time the rice is done, so it's seriously the easiest way to make a decent meal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

When you cook a whole chicken, I suggest that you put more salt on it than you think you want. I always put way too little because I'm not not super into using salt, but that poo poo makes the skin crisp up like crazy if you actually use enough.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

All this chicken talk made me pull one out of the freezer a couple days ago, and it should be ready to cook up after some sink time. I love it because I barely have to use anything other than salt, since I'll just be throwing the parts in pasta or rice later anyway. Aside from the skin, that gets eaten before it's even safely cooled.

Something I only just tried as a super novice cook so it might be new to someone: try putting alfredo sauce in your chicken and rice instead of pasta! You can use a little less, since the rice does such a good job of absorbing it, and rice is always cheaper than pasta!

Question, though: can I just leave the organs in the chicken and let them cook that way, or is it better to cook them separately?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Dogdoo 8 posted:

That depends on income/family situation/what state you're in. For single adults around here it's closer to 60 cents.

I'm single and got like $500 in EBT for being out of work for a week during a hurricane, and I wasn't gaming them at all or anything like that. Maybe that's a special circumstance or something, though.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Whole chickens here hover around 90ยข/lb, which is great. I usually just skim for marked down stuff about to expire, since it gets put out on no particular schedule at my local grocery. I love grabbing up a half off thing of pork chops or steak that I'd never buy at full price, then cooking up a feast for friends the same day or filling my freezer.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I got a whole chicken for like 90¢/lb the other day, and I live in Mississippi. This was at a super thrifty local grocery store though, not like a chain. I understand food in America is crazy crazy cheap compared to most countries in general.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Why wouldn't you just make the broth from bones and veggies and add the chicken late in the cook to let it retain a not poo poo texture?

ed: I mean I guess you're out of luck if you don't have any bones, but there's no reason to ever buy boneless chicken parts if you're even remotely concerned about being thrifty.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 19, 2014

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Darryl Lict posted:

Santa Barbara, in uh, California. I got a pound of asparagus, a couple of portabellos, a pack of 5 roma tomatoes, and a pound of grapes for a buck apiece. On the other hand, rent is really expensive.

Holy poo poo gently caress you. I live in an area with inexpensive everything, but man.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I remember reading that it doesn't really eliminate jobs because a lot of places keep the same number of cashiers on deck since the automated lanes are always screwing up and a lot of customers can't manage to work them properly without assistance even when they are working fine.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I was literally just talking to a friend the other day about freezing burritos and what a game changer it is. I barely have to plan meals anymore. If I feel like making something without worrying about whether it'll feed me for a week, gently caress it! I can always just eat a burrito if I find myself without leftovers!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I made sixteen frozen burritos big enough to constitute a meal each for just under $17. I spent an extra $2 on sour cream on top of that for when I'm eating at home. I could have done it cheaper, but I sprang for the brand name tortillas since a shoddy kind would basically ruin everything.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, doing the pretend poor challenge while shopping at a store for rich people probably isn't going to work very well.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The other store she went to is Rouses which, for those of you not from my area, isn't outrageous or anything like Whole Foods, but isn't exactly a budget joint either.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Well not like Aldi or Savealot or whatever are Everywhere. They're pretty rare around here

E: badass, the closest Aldi is 5 miles away.

I get what you're saying about a lot of places, but the article author lives in New Orleans, where there are like a half dozen Savealots. She clearly didn't put a lot of thought into finding good prices as opposed to just buying stuff she thinks of as cheap.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I do a lot of depression cooking, but it's mostly just chicken and rice while drinking malt liquor. I think they might be different.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Rice has a ton of surface area, so I'm really wary of keeping it more than a few days for fear of it going bad. These posts make me think maybe I've been overly cautious, though?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I can spend essentially no money this month, so I've been having to get creative with my cooking. I had some flour for some inexplicable reason (I don't bake), but no yeast. So, I made hardtack for the first time. It's, uh. It's food alright.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I eat a shitload of broccoli. It just never gets old for me, for some reason.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Buy a whole chicken every single week and use it in 2+ recipes. Like, bare minimum you can get a pasta and a rice dish out of it that should last you a couple days each. I've been stuck on unemployment with odd jobs for several months and food is really easy as long as you don't ever buy anything that's premade. You'll get sick of rice and probably miss pizza or whatever, but it's a good way to get creative with your food that'll benefit you even after you aren't a wretch anymore.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Got inspired by this thread to make my own pizza for the first time tonight. Turned out pretty well. I used leftover chicken, canned crushed tomatoes I spiced up, some pineapple, and some cheap shredded cheese. I've never made any bread before aside from hardtack, so I did go lazy a little bit by getting a little 75¢ pack of pre mixed flour. Next time I'll grab some yeast and try doing it myself. With how little cleanup there was, this may become a convenient new way for me to use up leftover meat and vegetable bits.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Using this thread helped me survive and not eat like poo poo when I was on unemployment, and probably the best feeling after my recent first paycheck was buying an avocado and some mushrooms without feeling intense financial dread for the first time in years.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Just buy a whole chicken every time unless you have a specific recipe you're going for. You get variety and it's almost always cheaper. It's incredibly easy to carve up after the first couple learning attempts and you feel like a loving chef even though you just seasoned a big piece of meat and popped it in the oven for a little less than two hours

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Except breast meat is expensive as hell since everyone wants boneless skinless low effort bullshit. Thighs is where it's at though. Almost as cheap as a full bird (nothing is, whole chicken all day), but with more flavor per pound. And if you learn to cut that poo poo after cooking, you can make some bonkers stuffed dishes to impress people.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah breast meat is still good, but it's def the worst part. It requires more thought to use since it's not very good at all by itself. I'm just going to come out and ask what you mean by "chicken asses" because I can't figure it out.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah I've noticed my own cooking frequency and quality go down pretty sharply since getting a full time job, and I'm only doing like 50 hours a week and don't have any kids.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I splurged on a couple packages of ribeye for $6/lb because they were reduced for being about to expire. None of the people I'm cooking them for have to know that though :getin:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Yeah, that term has various levels of terribleness, ranging from not-too-awful to full-on-super-lovely-thing-that-you-should-never-say.

I've never heard another American say it, but I just assumed it was super racist since that's the only way I've ever heard it used by Europeans in media.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

http://imgur.com/G71gIGR

Rice cooker, carrots, potatoes, mushrooms, chuck roast, and enough wine to cover it all. Either gonna be a disaster or incredible.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

My entire apartment smells like wine. I committed the sin of popping the top to look at my creation, wasting some cooking time, but it was worth it to find that everything looks good. Wine stew is on track

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

But Not Tonight posted:

it took me a second to see it but you definitely had to break out tools to get that wine bottle open, I hope this meal was worth the effort

you didn't have a corkscrew, or even a shoe?

fake edit: nope just saw the plastic cork, a shoe won't work

Yeah I didn't realize I don't own a corkscrew until I had already added everything else to the pot. The screw and claw hammer method worked no problem though.

It came out great, but it was too late when it finished for me to try thickening the wine and juice into gravy. I'll do that today and probably put it over rice.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, my rice cooker has seen me through rice and tuna times I was so poor I was shuffling naked around my apartment in pitch darkness with no AC in Mississippi summer, and today it's making me wine roasts. Truly a friend for all seasons.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

So I cooked a duck for the first time. I'd bought it on a whim and had it in my freezer for awhile, but I'm about to move so I'm emptying my fridge.

It's ok. I love that the breast meat is actually good by itself, unlike chicken. The skin had a sheath of fat attached that tastes kinda fishy and is super rich but still good to work a little into a bite of the actual meat.

The bones are way more dense and take up much more of the bird than I'd expected. A chicken's weight is mostly meat, but I'd say this duck's bones make up maybe half of its weight.

I think I'll stick to whole chickens except for special occasions, but it was a nice experiment.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Where do you even get your ducks from? Here in Western New York, we have tons of wild ones, but no one except the big chain stores sells them, and they're already cooked in most cases and like $$$/lb.

I live in Mississippi, so it was a regional chain called Rouses. I bought it so long ago I don't remember the price, but I'll try to remember to check if I go by there tonight.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I guess I couldn't be a farmer, since I feel like spending more than a few months with most animals would endear them to me enough to make it difficult for me to kill them. I could definitely raise and kill a goose though, hateful creatures that they are. Catfish are as delicious as they are bastards too.

edit: to be honest, that's mostly if I only have a couple. If I had a hundred cows, it'd probably be pretty easy to kill some

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

coyo7e posted:

Here's a kind of fun and interesting interview with a "hipneck" who tends to turn all of his livestock into pets. He talks about the emotional connection a lot. http://www.rumblestripvermont.com/2016/03/a-beer-with-ben-hewitt/

Mainly it comes down to a willingness to accept your own place in the food chain, as well as that of your livestock. Even a reverence and love is totally acceptable and reasonable way to go about slaughtering your stock animals however, it's definitely not for everybody. My family always hired out our pigs to be slaughtered because they were both too large for us to do ourselves with our limited expertise, and because my parents didn't feel comfortable doing a poor job of putting them down.

I feel much more comfortable eating a burger knowing that I have no hangups about cows being killed and eaten and also knowing that I've participated in the deaths of probably well over a hundred or two hundred animals which provided food for me, growing up. There's probably a good way to kill rabbits without them screaming, but my folks didn't really grok what effect it'd have on a kindergartner to hear them screaming as they died, dozens of times in a day, every few months.. I mean I dislike rabbits and am allergic to them but the cries were truly awful.

I'll shoot a pheasant in a heartbeat, and I'd go goose or duck hunting as well - I'd just probably give the meat away because there's so much toxic poo poo in the local rivers and ponds etc, that I wouldn't want to eat the waterfowl (I'll eat the poo poo out of that pheasant though, my favorite fowl by far).. So I just kind of gave up on hunting mainly. I love fishing for stocked trout and for salmon, though.. One's "freebie" meat that is an invasive species, and one's the highest meat to weight ratio of any fish, despite me wasting huge amounts of money chasing them around every year. ;)

This is probably fodder for another or a new thread though. Raising some fryer chickens in your yard is totally cheap and sustainable off of nothing but kitchen scraps and some cast-off lumber to make a coop, but slaughtering pigs and sheep and turkeys goes into the "work" territory where you are putting so much work and time into it that you need to be doing it as an act of love for either yourself or your family or the animals themselves.

Good link. I grew up in Mississippi, so I'm very comfortable with guns and killing wild animals, but the idea of raising them and being familiar with them on a smaller scale puts me off. I've never tried it, but I know that I'm a big animal lover. I'll treat a dog almost as well as I will a person, since they're our evolution buddies, but I also go out of my way to help turtles and even frogs from being hurt unnecessarily. I have zero qualms with stock animals being slaughtered, but I dunno if I'd want to do it if I were raising, say, a pig every day to kill them after a year or whatever. If you brought me a goat and said, "hey kill this and you can have the meat," I'd go for it in a second because that poo poo is delicious. I'd have difficulty if I'd raised it myself.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

neogeo0823 posted:

Cucumbers do not cause weird gas problems in most people.

Yeah I mean, I know different people have different reactions to foods, but I've never once heard of cucumbers causing gas, so it must be pretty uncommon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I'm of the opinion that anything breasts can do, thighs can do better and more cheaply, but keep in mind for your final product that the thighs are gonna be juicier. So where I'd normally add x amount of mayo for moisture to a chicken breast salad sandwich mix, I'd use a little less when using thighs.