Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008
Is there a good place to buy a variety of spices online that are decent without breaking the bank? I'm starting out from scratch so I need everything from whole mustard seed to dried herbs to allspice, etc. My grocery store has some basics but not all the spices I'd want, especially for Indian cooking. Other grocery stores require me to take a bus there and back just to see if they have everything I'm looking for, which factors in time and money I'd rather not spend if I can just get everything I need in one online purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Penzey's is amazing and cheaper than standard grocery store McCormick as well as being ten times better. If you purchase literally everything upfront, it's still gonna add up. But if you're okay with building up over the course of a year or so, Penzey's has a mindblowing number of deals, freebies, and samples.

I could drop 100$ on startup spices. I was trying to avoid buying McCormick on Amazon, so this looks good, thanks.

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

Feel free to look around, I linked two of the big crates, but they have a bunch of smaller boxes that you can mix and match if you're into baking or barbecuing or you don't need a pepper grinder or whatever

Yeah I'm also more into having things like parsley sage rosemary and thyme separate than I am having "Savory Herb Mix" single jars that always seem to come in starter packs.

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008
What's the best, yet cost effective, cut of chicken for shredding to make wraps/sandwiches? Is this a case where buying breasts isn't a bad idea?

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008
I've been doing seasoned breasts in some water in a covered pan to get them easily shreddable. Would you do the same for thighs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HydeLyde
Apr 25, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

You got the gist of it! Basic cheapo pork shoulder is a must buy when on sale. You can slow cook and shread a whole shoulder, and freeze it in portions. You can have it over rice and vegetables, or beans. You can have it in a sandwich. You can make tacos. You can put some in a soup or beef up (lol) instant ramen noodles. You can top a green salad with it. You can sauce or season it as needed with teriyaki, orange sauce, sweet and sour, chineese 5 spice, any variety of sweet, Mustard, creamy, or vinegar BBQ sauce. Probably a dozen more good sauces I'm not thinking about because I haven't had my coffee.

Pasta sauces are also great to do in bulk and freeze in single or double portions. Nice bulky meat bologneses are great to just throw over some dollar a box pasta and some fresh spinach.

Do you season shoulder at all when you're slow cooking it to bulk freeze for a dozen different recipes later?