Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

ma i married a tuna posted:

If you're poor and you want to eat meat, it's going to be unethically raised. There's very few exceptions to this.

Then eat cheaper cuts of meat or eat less meat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

spite house posted:

In case anyone is confused, when folks say you should buy your spices at Hispanic markets this is what they're probably talking about.

Ethnic groceries carry those ripoff little glass jars just like whitefolks groceries, and they're still a ripoff so beware. The El Cheapo stuff in the cellophane packets is usually in a whole different part of the supermarket. Sometimes even regular supermarkets will have a display of these, but they will definitely not keep it in the spice aisle. Look in the ethnic-foods aisle and on endcaps.

This packet of cloves cost 99c. The quality is fine, but decant your purchases into jars and keep them in the freezer; they tend to go off quickly.

One very cool thing about buying spices this way is that you can try a ton of new stuff without spending a lot of money -- different kinds of dried peppers and so on. This is how I discovered epazote, which is the mystery ingredient in Mexican beans that makes them taste Mexican and also prevents gas.

Do this, but don't buy pre-ground spices. The same amount of unground cloves will cost the same and will taste much better if ground immediately before use.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

spite house posted:

Alas, I lack a spice grinder and my husband swears he can taste the residue if I use the coffee grinder. You're right, though.

You can grab a $5 mortar & pestle at the same grocery stores. I agree that the coffee will taste spicy if you do it in the same grinder as the spices.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

PopeCrunch posted:

Spicy coffee is amazing though! Sometimes I'll chuck a peppercorn or two or a couple allspice berries into the grinder when making coffee, and it's loving delightful. :hydrogen::coffee:

Yes, but making fenugreek coffee by accident is much less exciting.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Lentils take WAY less time to cook than beans do, so keep that in mind. They'll be fine otherwise.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

wormil posted:

Ah, I don't think any stores near me sell spice that way. By bulk I thought people were talking about the 18-24+ oz jars. Nevertheless, I still think it's wise to just buy a few at a time and experiment with them. It doesn't take much.

Are there no non-suburban grocery stores near you at all?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KingColliwog posted:

No sure this is the right place for this question but I'll post it here anyway.

I'm poor.

Pork chops are quite often ridiculously cheap.

This means that I want to eat pork chops. The problem is that every single time I've eaten pork chops in my life they were horrible. It's always tough and a pain to eat. What am I doing wrong? How do you make pork chops delicious?

They're just overcooked. 60-65 degrees is sufficient for pork, though the slight pink will weird out older people and people that were taught that pork will murder your whole family and your dog if it's pink even a tiny bit.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Buy super chick chops if possible, season them with salt (more than you think you need), put a non-nonstick pan on the stove on high heat, add in a thin layer of neutral oil (canola, peanut, sunflower) and sear the heck out of it at high heat on both sides to brown it all awesomely. If it's very thick, you might need to throw it in the oven for a few minutes afterwards. Use a thermometer the first few times until you get the hang of it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Flour Bunny posted:

1 can diced tomatoes
1 small can tomato paste
1 can cambells tomato soup (or no name if you like)
1/2 bag macaroni
3-4 cut up Wieners (optional)

Boil the macaroni then mix in all the tomato stuff. mix in the wieners if you're using them. Let it sit for about 5-10 mins in the pot on the stove with the heat off with the lid on. if the wieners are still a little cold just pop it in the microwave for 15 seconds.
You can top it with parmesan cheese if you like.

I know it's not really gourmet but it's really good and dirt cheap!

Ooh, I usually use a bit of beef bouillon in my goulash, but this works too.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Douche Bag posted:

Food tastes better when it's mixed with the blood of the poor.
___

This thread has been incredibly helpful. I gotta ask though, it it worthwhile to make things that are already cheap like tortillas or pasta? I don't mind cooking now but making some things just seem like a waste of time.

I'd say that fresh tortillas are absolutely worth it because of how amazing they are, but dried pasta is better than fresh in some situations.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Krittick posted:

I'm the kind of person who doesn't mind eating the same thing every day for a week or two. I also just got a new crock pot. I'm wondering if there are any crock pot recipes for chicken that I can just make a couple times a week and reheat the leftovers? Something simple where I can throw a bunch of veggies in and maybe some spices and let it cook all day.

Chicken isn't the best thing to cook for 8+ hours, it'll fall apart too much and be kind of gross-mushy. If you're going to be cooking for the whole week anyhow, then you can make a braised chicken soup/stew on the weekend in 3-4 hours and then just eat that all week. It'll also freeze extremely well.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Ammanas posted:

Chicken thighs hold up in the crock pot better than breasts.

http://www.marthastewart.com/318209/slow-cooker-chili-chicken-tacos

I've made that many times and it is wonderful

1: 8 hours is still too long for thighs.

2: nooooo salsa chicken

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Double post

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Colt Cannon posted:

Refuse to pay rent till you get a working Fridge, that might be in your lease agreement.

Don't refuse to pay rent, that will go badly. Find out if your area has something where you can pay into escrow until they fix it.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Colt Cannon posted:

Where I live it is setup so if anything like ac units, fridge, and etc doesn't work, rent is prorated for it.

Even then, "hey look judge I even paid the money to a responsible third party!" instead of "lol my heat is leaking out gently caress you landlordman" is way less sketchy and will win you all the small claims courts suits.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Authentic You posted:

If you can the sauce properly in masonry jars, then it should be fine not refrigerated. Researching the proper process would be a good idea. My mom used to do this with okra and it involved having the jars of stuff in a big pot of boiling water, but I don't remember any specifics.

Canning your food properly would be fine, but absolutely do not store your unpasteurized food at room temp otherwise.

Here is the canning thread if you want a resource.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Lord Bude posted:

Seriously, I live with my parents, but if they threw out something i'd bought I'd pitch a fit, demand they reimburse me for them, have them reimburse fuel costs for going shopping and if I was feeling extra petty I'd demand they pay me for the time I wasted going shopping again.

Pitching a fit about something this trivial is pretty ridiculous too, just talk to them like a grownup.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GabrielAisling posted:

My biggest expense is currently meat. My boyfriend's food groups consist of chicken nuggets and other meats, pizza, ketchup, fried potatoes and beer. He'll eat onions if I hide them in hamburger, but will use all sorts of tricks to get out of eating/trying vegetables. Mostly he'll cover his plate in meat and bread and then claim he's full when I point out he hasn't eaten his corn (which he claims to like and I can get in abundance because my grandfather has no sense of scale when planting corn). Essentially I need to hide vegetables in his meat to make the meat last longer and make him eat something that might keep him alive past 30 and keep my food budget below bank-breaking.

You could try telling your boyfriend to stop being such a big babby. Just make him sit at a tiny little plastic neon table until he eats like a grownup.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Just do this to peel your garlic:

https://vimeo.com/29605182

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I hate chopping garlic, I just do it because garlic rules.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

taqueso posted:

Ya, I do that, but it is still a bunch of fiddly work to get the paper off. I learned a different trick a few months ago that is awesome for when you need a bunch of garlic:

1. Find a pair of bowls that are the same size or a big tupperware container
2. Put head of galic inside and invert 2nd bowl to use as a lid (or put on the tupperware lid)
3. Shake like crazy for 30 seconds
4. Open to find all garlic peeled

Seems to work best when there is some room in the container to let the garlic get some momentum.

e: I found a video: http://www.saveur.com/article/Video/video-How-to-Peel-a-Head-of-Garlic-in-Less-Than-10-Seconds I don't even smash the head of garlic like the guy in the video, I just toss it in.
Hey sweet you found the video I posted on the last page good job.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Dadbuck posted:

I too love to have my rear end-trumpet sounding out my arrival, while spiking my bloodsugar and leading to pre-diabetes.

Instead of advising on eating cheap and unhealthy food, we need a lesson on frugalism and creativity.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24879628/ns/business-retail/t/frugalists-bargain-hunting-lifestyle/

Quick someone tell 95% of the world to stop eating legumes and rice before they get digestive issues and diabetes!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GabrielAisling posted:

I have eight cheap little steaks that were on final markdown at the shop. What can I do with them that's a little tastier than "pan fry on large hunk of iron"?

Pic please so we know what you have!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

GabrielAisling posted:

They're half-inch thick eye of round steaks. My phone hates me, so I can't get a picture to the internet with the thing. I'm marinating the first four in beer and montreal steak seasoning (a gift from my boyfriend's recently vegetarian roommate). They will be fried in my tiny cast iron skillet tomorrow afternoon. The others are in the freezer for later this week or next.

Just do this: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440988

That steak seasoning is pretty disappointing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Hint: putting spices into ground (beef/pork/chicken) in the fridge for a night makes your own delicious sausage.

Uh, how so? Sausage is a completely different thing than just ground meat + spices.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

That person said nothing about casing.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oh you're just being pedantic I see.

Sausage is meat + spices + salt + casing.

Omitting the casing gives you proto-sausage meatstuff.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Is Keema Matar a sausage?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

miryei posted:

I can never get any yeast bread recipe to work right, including that no-knead bread. It ends up with the whole house smelling like delicious bread, and the actual bread being completely inedible.

That said, anyone have good muffin/quickbread recipes? Those seem to turn out well, and I still have all this flour...

Can you try and take pictures? We can tell you where you screwed up if you like.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

miryei posted:

I haven't tried any in the last couple weeks. Basically, everything ends up textured like a rock, even if I follow a recipe/use the bread machine.

vvv Shouldn't be, it's pretty new.

You might be killing it by adding hot water. Does it rise at all when you let it rest?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

KoB posted:

My roommate and I have been trying to make our own Pinto beans and just cant get it right, there's just not much flavor. Does anyone have some recipes?

What do you want them to taste like?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

The Tinfoil Price posted:

Lemme figure out the logistics of mailing butter. We have a family friend who is a rancher that just left like 5 pounds of amazing pasture butter at home. I will gladly ship you a bar free of charge so you may taste the glory.

Wait until the winter.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

neogeo0823 posted:

What? :aaa:

I thought it was the exact opposite. And here I was, wondering why my rice was sticking together so fervently when I tried to make fried rice.

Are you drying your rice?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Basically, none of the foods that you posted benefit in any way from being cooked in a slow cooker. If you were cooking beans, or braising meat, or doing any number of other things that benefit from low, long-term heat, then you'd be doing great, but the things that you did post kind of fall under the umbrella of "midwestern culinary disaster" and every one of them would be substantially improved by being made differently.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

Re: vegetarianism for savings, I just dont see how. Fresh vegetables are expensive, frozen never thrill me, and canned is a combination of those. You can eat the hell out of rice and beans but thats not exactly balanced.

You eat things that are in season, a diet heavy in legumes, and you make your own breads/etc. It's so much cheaper, especially in places where meat is not as heavily subsidized as in most of the US.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Logiwonk posted:

OK, so what do I do with them besides slice them thin and put them on salad?

Poach them in butter and serve them with some salt and fresh black pepper.

edit: heck don't even poach them, just spread the butter on them and sprinkle a bit of salt and eat.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Pester posted:

What's the problem with thawing shrimp in a bowl without tricking water if you intend to use them within four hours?
I miss the old "Is this safe to eat?" and "Biggest kitchen fuckups" megathreads. My parents were extremely lax on food safety, and that's where I learned basically all that I know of it.

It's against the law in foodservice in my province. You need the trickle to ensure that it stays in the safe temperature range. That said, it would probably be fine to do it at home.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Oil-based roux is fine, the fat is just there to prevent clumping. To be honest the biggest benefit of a cornstarch-based thickener is that you don't need to cook out the flour taste. If you want something very good, you can pick up some Ultratex and go on a thickening adventure.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

I have never, ever seen or heard it offered in pork. It might have started out that way but it's not a popular preparation at all.

Pork curries are super popular in southeast Asia and among southeast Asian immigrants. Sorry that you don't know any I guess. Not really sure what you're trying to get at with this comment.

You should give it a try though, a super sour pork vindaloo is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

o muerte posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a mashed potato recipe without butter/cream? I've been making shepherd's pie off and on for a bit and the potatoes always come out a little odd. I've tried olive oil and garlic olive oil but both impart too much flavor by the time I get the creamy consistency I want.

Bacon fat or duck fat would work too. Are you just avoiding dairy?