Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

OK, after reviewing this is not terribly cheap if you buy all of the makings to make this one version, BUT once you buy them, you'll have the makings of dozens of amazing meals, you can add pretty much any meat, fish or firm vegetable to it to create a very delicious curry very easily, so I do think it is worth considering as an initial fairly steep investment in later deliciousness.

My recipe for anything masala:

Edit: this batch makes around about 8 200g helpings

3 big onions - chopped finely
8 cloves garlic - chopped finely (I use a couple of these: they are awesome if you want to use a lot of garlic)
2 inches ginger - chopped finely
4 green chillis - chopped finely
1 - 2 tins whole tomatoes - chopped in the can
1 tsp whole fenugreek
2 tsp hot chilli powder
2 tsp ground coriander
1.5 tsp whole cumin
1 tsp turmeric
2ish tblsp tomato puree
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tblsp ghee or sunflower oil
Salt+black pepper
Raw cashew nuts
Yoghurt/cream

Method:

Heat the ghee/oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the onions
Revel in the delicious smell of onion frying in ghee ( or cry because you are using oil)
Once they are are half softened, push then aside to create an oily space and throw in the cumin and fenugreek.
Cook until they smell really good - about 3-4 minutes usually
Add the garlic, ginger and chillis - fry until softened
Add the tomatoes and stir - cook for about 4-7 mins, basically til they start to simmer again
Add the chilli powder, turmeric and coriander - cook again for a minute or two
Add the puree
Add the sugar
Cook gently for 10-20 minutes.
Add a bit of salt - stir well and taste - repeat until it tastes really good. N.B. - remember this sauce will be diluted with yoghurt or cream and cashews, so take this into account if it seems too intense.

Add about 10 turns of a black pepper grinder to the mix and stir in well.

Get out your stick blender and turn this mass of disparate vegetables and spices into a beautiful smooth thick mass of red deliciousness.

At this stage you can let it go cold and freeze 200g batches for later use.

To complete:

Take 1 200g ( or thereabouts) helping of the pureed sauce and heat in a small pan
Add raw chicken or fish or par-boiled cauliflower, or whatever else seems good.
Cook gently until done.
Add either 3-4 tblsp plain yoghurt or cream and stir well.
Add 8-10 mashed cashew nuts and cook gently until thickened.

Serve with boiled rice or naan, or whatever.

Serves 1 greedy person or two sensible people.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

pim01 posted:

You can repeat it as much as you want but people will still buy the expensive lovely spices at the supermarket instead of going to the local ethnic market to buy better cheap spices. I've actually taken to picking up spices for some of my coworkers when I go to one of the chinese supermarkets around here since they keep thinking of excuses not to go. Overprices spices offend me :colbert:.

Yup - ethnic supermarket shopping is key

Locally I have 2 chinese supermarkets and 1 pakistani one - I would never consider buying spices anywhere else, it's like a tenth of the cost, plus I want to support local independant businesses, so it's win-win.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I think it has been mentioned before, but have you considered Dal (Lentils)?
They are very nutritious, are apparently a very good nutritional match with rice, are cheap, and in the following recipe insanely delicious if you like a lot of toasted garlic.

1 cup Red lentils
3 cups water
2 tbsps vegetable/sunflower/canola cooking oil
Salt to taste
1 onion chopped fine
3 tomatoes chopped fine (or 1/2 a can of plain tomatoes)
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp red chilli powder
3 tbsps ghee (clarified butter) or oil
3 dry red chillies stalks removed and broken into small pieces
1 tsp cumin seeds
8-10 cloves of garlic (personally I use about 3/4 of a cup, but I love garlic)
5-10 curry leaves if you can get them

Wash the lentils thoroughly, then soak for about 1/2 an hour.
Fry the onions in some oil until soft and add the spices.
Add the tomatoes and stir well, then add the lentils and water.
Cook until the lentils are very mushy.
When this is done, in another small pan, heat the ghee well (you can use oil for this but if at all possible get ghee, it is 100% better) and add the cumin seeds which will sizzle.
When they stop sizzling add the garlic and dry red chillies and fry till the garlic is light brown. Add the curry leaves and fry for about a minute.
Quickly add this ghee and spice mixture to the boiled lentils and stir well.

Makes about 6 decent helpings. Can be frozen and reheated from frozen successfully.

I;ve made this with no dried chillis and just added more chilli powder at the lentil cooking stage and it was delicious. I've also made it with half red, half yellow lentils and it was great.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jan 13, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

BastardAus posted:

If you only stopped to think what it took to make 1.2-1.8kg of bird WORTH only 20p, perhaps you'd have to then wonder what went into or more like what was LEFT OUT of that bird to make it so cheap.

In my local supermarket you get deals like that at the end of the day when the foodstuff will have to be thrown out otherwise- it'll have been repriced down from 10 or 20 times the discounted price.

VVVV Nice... VVV

Pookah fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Mar 16, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I cook with an awful lot of garlic so I use this single clove variety most of the time - so much less time spent peeling.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Doh004 posted:

Wait, this is a thing? That exists?

AA is for Quitters posted:

Please tell me where to find such a woundrous thing.

I do most of my grocery shopping at the local asian market for prices because holy hell is it cheap, with supplimental things filled in by acme, and it works really well. (IE I buy 2-3lb onions at the asian market, but occasionally need more than that and pick up a 3# bag at acme) and use acme for staples when staples are on sale. (Like, I have a thing for Hunts tomato sauce. It's pretty much the only tomato sauce I eat for things like pasta/gnocchis. So I stock up when it's .50/can.)

the only thing that sucks is that 75% of cheap cooking involves ovens and my lovely studio doesn't have an oven. however, there are stovetop alteternatives to nearly everything. Like Pizza Quesadillas instead of pizza, The only thing I havent come up with a decent stovetop alternative for is roast pork shoulder.

I buy mine in Lidl here (Ireland) It's one of the standard things they stock. But I just discovered something about this glorious garlic - it isn't actually garlic!

It's a variety of Elephant garlic which despite the name is more closely related to leeks.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

EVG posted:

Back on the cheap eats, has anyone tried making their own paneer? It looks really easy based on the instructions I've seen online... and even from the Indian market it was still like $5/lb.

I've done it a few times and it's really really easy, but you do have to make it a good bit before you need it. Here's the method I use:

http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2008/05/24/how-to-make-paneer/

Things to note:
- Rinse out the cloth you are going to use when you are squeezing out the whey, laundry detergent is not a good paneer flavour :(.
- Weight-lifting weights are great for squeezing out the whey.
- It freezes really well so make a good big batch; I made a batch out of about 4 litres of milk that were getting close to their use-by date and I had enough cheese for about 8 dinners.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Keema Matar is a delicious and extremely filling curry made from minced lamb (or beef) and peas.

Once you've built up your spice shelf it's also very cheap; I just made a big pot of it with about 2lb of perfectly fresh minced beef steak which was being clearanced at 50 cent a pack, so the the whole giant pot of food cost around 3 euro to make.

I use this recipe as a basis:

http://101things.wordpress.com/2006/06/17/kheema-matar-minced-lamb-curry-with-peas/

but I add in a bit more of every spice plus throw a stick of cinnamon into the pot whilst it's cooking and a spoonful of tomato puree in at the end to thicken the sauce a bit. It's pretty much like north indian shepherds pie; total comfort food.

Also for general cheap eating always watch for beef being sold off cheap as it gets near its use by date; unlike chicken or fish, beef actually tends to get better as it gets a bit older - we had a 14 euro beef roast for dinner last night which had been reduced to 2 euro and it was deeelicious.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Is Keema Matar a sausage?

Of course not, it's clearly a form of hamburger.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Chunderbucket posted:

So it's a sandwich, then?

Yeah, a sloppy Jai. :haw:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Capsaicin posted:

Do you have any other recipes like this? Cause that looks awesome and easy and cheap. :)

Is "mince meat" different from ground beef?

Yes minced meat is the same as ground beef :) Also here's another pretty cheap beef recipe - I make it with round steak / round roast whenever I can get it cheaply. It's a kenyan-style beef stew that I got to try at a local international food festival, it's served with a lovely potato/corn/spinach mash which sounds like a bizarre combination until you try it:

Ingredients (4-6 servings)
1.5 lbs beef, cubed
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 carrots grated finely (I use a microplane grater)
1 pepper, finely diced
1 tblsp curry powder (or as much as you like)
Salt
2 medium onions, chopped
3 tbsp vegetable oil
4 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 cup water
Dash of worcestershire sauce (optional but delicious)
Dash of mushroom ketchup (optional)
2 tbsp finely chopped fresh cilantro (Optional)

Brown the onions in the oil. Add the meat and garlic and let it cook for about 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, pepper and carrots,and let them cook until they form a thick sauce. Add the water, cilantro, curry powder, worcestershire, mushroom ketchup and salt to taste. Mix well. Cook on low heat until the meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. If liked, you can take the meat out towards the end of cooking and mash/puree the vegetables.

Mukimo

Potatoes ( maybe 6-8 normal size roosters?)
Can of chopped spinach
Can of sweetcorn
butter
salt n pepper

Boil spuds, mash, add butter and spinach. mash together, add drained corn. Pepper and salt to taste.

Yum

Edit: I posted this earlier in the thread: lentil curry recipe that is also very cheap to make but very tasty indeed.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 6, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SoleilEquil posted:

I love you...definitely making this later on this week.

:blush: You're welcome - hope it turns out well!

Actually I have to lay off looking out for meat/veg deals - I got into the habit of cooking big pots of freezables on saturdays since the weather this summer has been shite, so now I have a freezer packed with all sorts of things that need to be eaten ( I know, I know, classic first world problem...)

^^^ That sounds delicious, definitely going to have to give it a go. ^^^

Pookah fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jul 7, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

SoleilEquil posted:

Ended up making that stew and I ate waaaay too much of it . Recommending any other readers to try it.

Awesome, glad you liked it :D

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've been making Kedgeree recently since my oven conked out -I started with this recipe:

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/10421/kedgeree

But ended up pretty much doubling the spices and cooking the rice in fish stock instead of water, and it is delicious, cheap and wholesome. This is what I do:

For 2 helps:

150g smoked haddock, cod, coley etc,
1/4 cup milk
NO eggs
handful chopped parsley

FOR THE RICE
1 bay leaf
2 tbsp ghee
1 large onion , finely chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp curry powder
150g easy-cook long grain rice , rinsed under running water
Bit of creme fraiche

For the rice, heat the oil in a large, lidded pan, add the onion and garlic then gently fry for 5 mins until softened but not coloured. Add the spices and bay leaf, season with salt ( personally I don't add salt because fish + stock are already pretty salty ), then continue to fry until the mix start to go brown and fragrant; about 3 mins.

Add the rice and stir in well. Add 300ml fish stock, stir, then bring to the boil. Reduce to a simmer, then cover for 10 mins. Take off the heat and leave to stand, covered, for 10-15 mins more. The rice will be perfectly cooked if you do not lift the lid before the end of the cooking.

Meanwhile, put the smoked fish into a pot. Cover with the milk, then poach for 10 mins until the flesh flakes. Remove from the milk, peel away the skin, then flake the flesh into thumbsize pieces. Gently mix the fish, parsley, and rice together in the pan. Throw in 2 heaped teaspoons of creme fraiche if it's around .

Stir it all about and stuff it into you.

Edit: Properly kedgeree has hardboiled egg slices sitting on top but I don't really see why - they just break up and are messy if you stir them in, and if you don't they just sit all incongruously on the top?

Pookah fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Sep 26, 2012

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The Lord Bude posted:

I would imagine that kedgeree has the eggs because it is traditionally a breakfast food, and the Brits who invented it couldn't stomach the thought of not eating eggs at breakfast.

It does make sort of (weird) sense to add egg slices if you put the kedgeree in a shallow dish like the Edwardians would have used for serving breakfast - you'd get a couple slices with your helping and they'd sit on top. It is really messy and nasty if you cook it in a pot like a normal person though.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just got some awesome beef deals in the supermarket today, I just totted the whole batch up - it came to 9.79 for an original 49.03 euros worth of frying steak, stewing steak, and roasting meat.

I'm freezing most of it for cooking later; I don't like buying clearanced poultry or fish since it doesn't age well, but beef is usually just approaching its best when they clearance it.

Meatsweats ahoy!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Beep Street posted:

:argh: I was in the Co-op last night and they had massive beef roasting joints that were on half price offer AND yellow stickered. I couldn't buy any as I was going to the pub and it almost broke my heart.

I will compound your agony by saying that on the same shopping trip I picked up 7 cans of draught guinness for 7 euro and thus made a giant pot of beef in guinness for abooout...5 euro in total?

Clearanced beef is the goddam best, we got a pile of ribeyes and striploins for at most a euro apiece.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I've said this before in this very thread but if you are a meat-eater look out for beef being clearanced in the Supermarket. Unlike chicken or fish, whole pieces of beef are basically at their best/getting better by the time most supermarkets are trying to get rid of them.

Case in point; we just picked up 5 prime rib roasts (I think that's what they are called in the U.S.? we call them rib roasts) for 3.50 - 4.00 each, reduced from 19.00 - 20.00 euro. They freeze really well, and are each easily capable of feeding 5 people.

Beans and rice are awesome and wholesome but super cheap gourmet beef is better.

Sorry vegetarians.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I can highly recommend this post/recipe for Chao Ga.

If you do any asian cooking normally, you'll probably have most of the makings lying around. The recipe given in that post calls for a whole chicken, but I usually make it with just 2 chicken legs (cheap) and simmer the stock for 2-3 hours instead of just one.

It really is very very tasty and cheap.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

They are dee-loving-licious in a glass of white wine - cools the wine without diluting it and you get a delicious snack at the end!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

I just found a local family-run butchers that does really cheap but very good beef steak for stewing, slices of bone-in leg beef, chicken carcasses for stock (good bit of meat still om 'em too) for 1 euro/KG, and yesterday they had a whole pig's head for 3.50.

Woo!

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Kafka Esq. posted:

Brown rice is basically not worth it nutritionally.

Thank gently caress for that because I am sick to my back teeth trying to like that crap.

Edit: for plain boiled rice I find the best way to cook it is to rinse it for at least 10 minutes, then soak it for another 20 to an hour or more, then cook super gently in a lot of lightly salted water until it is almost completely cooked and then drain and rest. Basmati will be perfect and fluffy after this, jasmine will still be a bit sticker but still not mushy and terrible.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Suspect Bucket posted:

Everyone should know how to break down poultry. You are on a divine mission from the cooking gods my friend.

Buy a turkey, break it down into 2 leg quarters for roasting or stewing, 2 breasts for baking, 2 wings for baking or frying, and a carcass for stock. That's my plan at least.

Turkey makes wonderful stock, everyone should make turkey stock, it's so rich and tasty!