Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010
A big problem is that people will google recipes and just get overwhelmed with all the bullshit involved. My wife and I have been living on 100% organic/sustainable food for 3 years and our current food budget is about 30~40$ a week. A big part is keeping our staple items stocked like rice, flour, beans. Dairy is the most expensive since we purchase 2 gallons of milk and 2 quarts of yogurt. Proteins are always 1 lb of ground beef, a whole chicken (I make basic chicken stock, water and roasted carcass). Eggs recently have become insane for grocery store organic so we found someone local that sells them 2$ a dozen. We always go big on lettuce stuff since it's usually so cheap. Vegetables are always what is in season or on the end of season. We did a whole year of eating only in season products and it just stuck, probably not for everyone though.

Items to avoid: bacon is extremely over priced, the difference between chuck and ground chuck and cube steak, any steak item, packaged shredded cheese, the difference between some salted and unsalted butters can be huge, loving snacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010
Tofu (1.99$ for 1 lbs organic extra firm) is extremely cheap and can taste awesome if you marinate it. Probably one of the best taste:nutrition:cost items you can purchase.

Farmers markets can be extremely great for dairy/eggs. In fact, I got someone to trade stuff for things out of my garden for a few months.

Go to an asian or mexican market to purchase spices. Usually you can get 5x the amount for half the price. Indoor, herb pots are extremely cheap to get as well, usually 1~3$ and require very little care.

heyfresh888
Feb 8, 2010
crock pot stocks are some of the best there are especially when carrots/celery/onions aren't in season. Spices + bones/trim + 8~10 hours will always deliver.

Also, learn to make congee with your left over meats. Rarely do people think about it, but in winter time what a great porridge. Extremely cheap and tasty. Most rice cookers have a congee setting or you can do it in a pot or even a crock pot.