Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Posted this in the general thread, but what are they ways that you all save money on cooking while leaving room to be creative? My wife got laid off this week so our food budget is shrinking, and while she's accepted that she's going to have to learn to love leftovers at my level, I'd like to keep things varied in the kitchen as best I can. My first thought was to get a bunch of meat at a bulk discount, slow cook and shred it on the weekend, and then mix that into whatever I cook during the week. Another idea would just be spend all day Sunday cooking two or three big pots of something, portioning them out into the freezer, and then telling her to just grab what she wants during the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Suspect Bucket posted:

I made naan

Cheap and delicious. Hits that "I want to make bread" itch without too much effort. Makes soup a meal!

drat that looks tasty, how'd you do it?

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
I got my current crock pot for $3 in a garage sale and it:s probably at least as old as I am, yet she's still going strong. As long as all of the external electrical parts look OK I don't see a reason to be overly paranoid. Maybe run it a couple times when you know you'll be home as a test run?