Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Re: shredded veggies, I personally have experience with cabbage and bell pepper stored in plastic containers then refrigerated and I've never seen them drying out too much. They yellow a bit after a week or two, but I've never minded it too much since I'm throwing them in stir fries or soupy noodles anyway and not in salads. And no, they don't give me the runs if I eat them after two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Overcome your stigma of MSG and just use MSG salt instead of the slightly pricier (from my experience) fish sauce and oyster sauce.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Definitely not saying that MSG is a perfect substitute for fish sauce or oyster sauce. I just personally think that it's acceptable replacement when you're trying to min/max tastiness and cost. My opinion is predicated on (1) you not noticing the flavor differences, (2) significant price difference in sauces vs MSG, and (3) the rate at which you use the sauces and MSG are similar.

And yeah I agree that MSG needs to be used carefully. Too much and it ends up tasting like potato chips/packaged umami snacks.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Re: cheap rice

I do the bulk of grocery shopping in Montreal Chinatown since the stores there have the cheapest veggie and pork in the city, and the best thing is they are consistently cheap, which saves me the hassle of looking at a store's flyer and buying only the stuff that's on sale. Minced pork is $1.99/lb which is close to the price of veggies (cabbage is $0.79/lb off-season and $0.49/lb in-season, other veggies like broccoli or Shanghai green are usually $1.99/lb off-season).

Unfortunately the Chinatown stores don't stock the cheapest NuPak rice which is $11.69/8kg. I assume it's so that they have space for the more expensive exotic/boutique rice. I prefer to go out as little as possible, especially when it's winter, so it's annoying that I have to get my cheap meat and veggies in Chinatown then do another run to Supermarche PA for rice.