Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thefoozl
Nov 9, 2010
I thought that I had so many good ideas to post in response to this thread, but all the best ideas have already been taken. Seriously, this thread is already the best resource on eating cheaply I have ever seen (other than a good cookbook full of recipes etc).

One piece of advice that I didn't notice: cooking is a skill, it will take you time and effort to learn to cook well. It won't take that long, and is isn't that hard, but nevertheless time and effort. I think it is well worth it, and I am very glad that I learned to cook. Oh, and you don't have to learn everything at once, mistakes are okay, often delicious, or at least salvageable.

As for a recipe: boil up. It's not classy, but it's cheap. Take a couple kilos of meaty pork bones (I prefer the bits with pieces of rib on them). These are the cheapest meat I can find at the supermarket (equiv. 3USD/kg). Boil for a couple of hours (I like to change the water after I first bring it to the boil, but perhaps that's just me) or slow cook them. Add some potatoes (preferably waxy), some kumara (any type of sweet potato should do just fine) and a bunch of water cress (probably will need to go to some sort of ethnic store or farmers market for this). Cook until the potatoes/kumara are done. Definitely not as nice as a lot of the other recipes and suggestions in this thread, but it is a cheap way to do meat. Don't forget salt.

Lentil curry is also nice, and uses the same ingredients as mentioned by the first response to this thread.

Save up chicken bones in the freezer and make stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU