Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The finest of all dances.
This thread has helped me so much. Now if only I could convince my boyfriend to eat beans. :( I made cuban-style black beans and rice last week and they were delicious, if not as tasty as my favorite hole-in-the-wall restaurant's were. I found a bunch of ethnic stores in my area. Turns out we have a pretty awesome (if kinda sketchy) asian market a few miles from my work. It's a little on the pricey side for some things, but I found a big packet of five-spice powder for $1.50.
My biggest expense is currently meat. My boyfriend's food groups consist of chicken nuggets and other meats, pizza, ketchup, fried potatoes and beer. He'll eat onions if I hide them in hamburger, but will use all sorts of tricks to get out of eating/trying vegetables. Mostly he'll cover his plate in meat and bread and then claim he's full when I point out he hasn't eaten his corn (which he claims to like and I can get in abundance because my grandfather has no sense of scale when planting corn). Essentially I need to hide vegetables in his meat to make the meat last longer and make him eat something that might keep him alive past 30 and keep my food budget below bank-breaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

CzarChasm posted:

That sucks about the picky eater boyfriend.

Since you mentioned that he is your boyfriend and not husband I'm going to assume that you don't live together.

If you want to be really mean, you can make a nice nutritous dinner for you and have a happy meal sitting on the side for him. Cold.

We're in our early twenties, and more or less live together. I'm on horrible roommate via student housing roulette number 5, and spend most of my time at his place. He will go hungry before he'll eat something he doesn't want to. He was spoiled as a kid, unfortunately. And he'd rather eat the cold happy meal than vegetables.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I have eight cheap little steaks that were on final markdown at the shop. What can I do with them that's a little tastier than "pan fry on large hunk of iron"?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

Pic please so we know what you have!

They're half-inch thick eye of round steaks. My phone hates me, so I can't get a picture to the internet with the thing. I'm marinating the first four in beer and montreal steak seasoning (a gift from my boyfriend's recently vegetarian roommate). They will be fried in my tiny cast iron skillet tomorrow afternoon. The others are in the freezer for later this week or next.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I'm living by myself for the month and am terrible about eating leftovers unless it's leftover soup. Is there any hope for me to eat without breaking the bank on small portions?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

The Tinfoil Price posted:

So it seems that butter is actually pretty simple, but I'd have to wait until at least September for it to be viable. I'd just pack it in a small plastic container with an ice-pack, freeze the whole thing, shove it into a flat rate envelope and mail it over.

Thus, if anyone wants a bar or two of pasture butter, hit me up in four weeks =D.

I'd like some whenever it becomes possible, but even in the fall, I think it'd just melt in the truck in my city. Last winter we wore shorts and ran the a/c for all but the two coldest weeks, and even then it never got really cold.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

How can I go about planning cheap meals for six while keeping dietary restrictions in mind? We have one diabetic and an onion allergy/intolerance, so it gets pretty tricky to make things everyone can eat.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

I'm terrible at dry beans. I soak them overnight, drain and rinse, boil for hours, and sometimes they're still hard. Why is this so difficult?

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Bummey posted:

What types of beans are you having trouble with? You also don't need to cook them at a full boil; a bare simmer will be sufficient.

Black beans, mostly. I've also got some very old dried split peas I'm gonna try working with soonish.

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Can I make hummus without tahini?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GabrielAisling
Dec 21, 2011

Dogdoo 8 posted:

Tahini is just sesame seeds and olive oil. I got a huge thing of sesame seeds for like $3 awhile back. Use your food processor (or whatever you're using since this is the poor people thread) on the sesame seeds and olive oil and then make the rest of the hummus.

Well that certainly solves a lot of problems. Thanks!