Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

kru posted:

How are people splitting their stock on completion? The ice cube tray idea seems nice, but are there any others?

I like to get those cheap plastic containers that come like 3 for a buck. Put exactly 1 cup (or 2 cups or whatever amount is convenient for you) of stock in each container and freeze. When you want to make soup, just take out as many as you need. You already measured them, so just throw then into the pot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Dirtbag Diva posted:

So I arrived at my grocery store right when they were marking all the two packs of cornish hens down from $15 to $2 earlier tonight. I have eight little baby cornish hens hanging out in my freezer and I'm kind of not sure what to do with them. Cook them like a regular chicken? I feel like I should do something fancy with how itty bitty they are.

Spatch those cocks, and grill them under a brick.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Separately is better. It's already hard enough getting all the meat parts of the bird to cook evenly.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
For added value, you can just drink the entire beer. Or not buy a beer at all. None of that flavor or liquid actually makes it into the meat. Anything that holds the bird upright and can survive the heat of the grill will work.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Naw, steam doesn't add moisture to meat, and you're not actually going to get a lot of steam anyway. The can's insulated by the bird, and you're cooking the bird to 160-165F. That's not boiling. Like, test it out next time. When you pull the bird out, immediately check the temperature of the liquid in the can. It probably won't even have gotten to the boiling point of alcohol, let alone water.

Literally the only good the can does is hold the bird up. You could fill it with water, with dried beans, or with nothing if it's a strong enough can.

Roasting the bird vertically IS a good way to cook it, though, especially if you're a fan of crisp skin. It just doesn't matter what you cram up the bird's rear end to do it.

edit: To try and add some helpfulness to my nitpickery, here's a hint: If your bird impalement solution is up to the task, roast the bird upside down. That is, wings down, rear end up in the air, your beer can or bundt pan or whatever crammed into the neckhole. See, when the cover is on, it's actually hotter near the lid of the grill than down at the grill surface. The thighs want to be cooked to a slightly higher temp than the breast meat does. So this way you can get the dark meat where you need it before the white meat overcooks. As a bonus, you get the tasty drippings running down over the breast meat, which needs all the flavor assistance it can get.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 27, 2015

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Beer can chicken evangelism is the funniest drat thing.

For real, though, use anything to hold that chicken up. Just don't use, like, a single piece bundt pan that traps all the drippings against the bird and makes things soggy. If it lets air circulate, that's even better. You could probably rig something out of a paper towel holder, and it would work at least as well, probably better than, a beer can. Literally the only upside of using a beer can is availability.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
You'll probably want to wash those first. Otherwise, perfect.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

TeeMerk posted:

I have enjoyed reading this thread on and off for awhile but I have a question about spices.

Is the quality of basic spices like garlic powder, nutmeg, paprika etc worth the difference in price from say the very basic and super cheap value brand compared to others I see at the grocer? A lot of the times the cost is 3x.

If at all possible, buy spices from the bulk section. Not buying the bottle over and over (except maybe the first time just so you have something to keep them in) will save you a shitton of money.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

How is "bacon scraps" even a thing

Pork belly isn't a perfect rectangle, it has to get trimmed down. There are surface bits and corners and chunks that are leftover no matter how carefully you slice the pig. That's before you even get into the basic math of slicing up a 14oz piece of pork for a 12oz package of bacon.

Ends, pieces, and scraps are a normal part of butchery, and also good eatin'. Buy scraps.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Real talk, if you eat meat and there's a butcher anywhere nearby, get to know them. Ask them advice on what's good at good prices in your area. So long as you don't make uncomfortable eye contact and slow-jerk motions while you're talking to them, they'll usually be happy to help you out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I like saag paneer a whole lot, and I've had saag with chicken thigh before and that was real tasty. All the saag curry recipes I've seen are fairly involved, though, including food processing the spinach before cooking... :( I don't have a blender.

I don't know much about other veg dishes, though. I should look into cabbage, cauliflower, sweet potato, chickpea and lentil dishes...

Saag can be very complicated, or it can be super simple, depending on how you want to do it.

Simple version: precook whatever you want to put in the saag. Paneer, chicken, potatoes, chickpeas, lentils, whatever. Cook it to basically done; you're just going to be warming it in the sauce later.

Bloom your spices in some oil. I just do a big sprinkle of cumin, a cardamom pod or two, and a spoonful of tumeric. Adapt to whatever spices you have handy.

Toss in a well chopped onion. Toss in a chopped chili pepper if you want. Cook until very soft. Stir in some garlic and ginger, either finely minced, mashed into paste, or (what I do) just run through a microplane.

Toss in a bag of frozen spinach. Or frozen kale. Or any good frozen green you want. Or not frozen, fresh is fine too. Cook until tender.

OPTIONAL: Blend it up. You can use a food processor, or a blender, or even a stick blender. You can also just not. It'll be fine. Put it back in the pan.

Stir in the whatever you cooked at the beginning, maybe with a splash of water if you want it saucier. If you've got garam masala, now's the time to add it. Maybe stir in some plain yogurt, or some cream. Stir it all together until everything's nice and hot.

Serve with rice.